Topic: bad sound quality: why?

I'm testing Pianoteq trial version (v2.2.2) on my new computer (Core 2 Duo, E6750). I'm using the internal (motherboard) sound card or a basic external sound card (Terratec Aureon 5.1 USB MKII) with or without asio4all. My performance index (on Help, About) is 30, that is I think excellent.

The sound quality is rather bad, and very bad compared to demo files on pianoteq website. Do you think this problem could be solved with a better sound card?

Thanks

Re: bad sound quality: why?

Here is exactly how we recorded a few demos (all three with Pianoteq 2.1):

- Improvisation No. 1 (M. Black), C2 warm preset, output headphones, lid open, default reverb.

- Chopin Waltz in C-sharp Minor Op 64 No 2 (Hugh Sung), C2 medium preset, output headphones, lid half open, default reverb.

- Chopin Waltz in A-flat major Op 69 No 1 (Hugh Sung), C2 medium preset, output headphones, lid half open, default reverb.

No external processing was used. If you use these settings (with either Pianoteq 2.1 or 2.2), then you should obtain exactly the same sound as on our site. Hope that helps.

I compared my rendering with the demos, with the same settings, but it is definitely not good. I hesitate to buy a better (with asio) sound card, because I don't know if it will really improve the sound quality. What do you think about ?

En français :
J'ai comparé le rendu de mon pianoteq avec les demos, avec les mêmes paramètres, mais le son que j'obtiens n'est vraiment pas aussi bon que celui des demos. J'hésite à acheter une meilleure carte son (avec l'asio), mais je ne sais pas si cela améliorerait réellement la qualité du son. Qu'en pensez-vous ?

I don't understand why you are getting a different sound. I even checked again, comparing the demo on our site with the output of Pianoteq 2: it is exactly the same. If you want to make a test, you can send me a MIDI file and I will record it for you so that you can compare.

En français :
Je ne comprends pas pourquoi vous obtenez un son différent. Je viens même de revérifier, comparant la démo qui est sur notre site avec la sortie directe de Pianoteq 2 : c’est exactement pareil. Si vous voulez faire un test, envoyez-moi un fichier MIDI et je vous l’enregistrerai pour que vous puissiez comparer.

Hmm - i have tried one time annother Program  as  VST-host,  it´s called  UNIVATOR.

With the Univator  as VST-Host the sound is definitly on my PC not as good,  than with Cubase.

Perhaps  this could be one reason - it seems, the programms have differencies to handle  the sound - perhaps by memorymanagement,  or by internal "tricks" to handle the Latency - i don´t know  - but also for my ears there are Differences between different  VST-Host-Programs - especially if you compare a  expensive one (for example CUBASE) with a cheaper one - or Freeware...

The Soundsystem itself can also be a reason of big changes in the sound - especially the 5.1 options!!  If you playing  about a amplifier and change from DolbyProLogic MUSIC  to  DolbyPrologicCINEMA,   or you change to LOGIC7  -  try it:  ALL this can change dramatically your Sound - depending  on your amplifier.

Onother Reason very often is the  Velocity.  My Digipiano for example  is too soft - and so i have to increase  the  Loudness of my amplifier -  but than  i´m  playing  more in the lower regions  of the velocity layers  - with the result  of missing Dynamik.

My Solution was  to changet the Velocitiy-curve in the programm and adapt it more to my style of playing.  I take attention, that a  FF  also in the programm geos about 80% of the Rangepossibilty.

On this point you also to think on this point:  YOUR Settings making a different sound, than a pure midi-playing!!  If you comparing  Midi-files  with the Demos on the Internet,  perhaps you have to changes again the settings different to your own  live-playing-settings. 

A MForte should not to be  too less Loudness.  Here you have to tryout  to fiind your best  solution , adapting your playingstyle and your used  Keyboard.

With the right changes, the sound can change from a weak unimpressed sound  to a strong and very dynamik Sound.

Often - i think - this couple of different equipment and programm-settings is the reason,  some peoples  thinking  there sound isn´t as good as the  Demos.

Rob aus Muc - robmuc)

Can you give us more specific information? When you say the sound is bad, do you mean that there is popping and crackling or drop-outs? If you describe the problem in a little more detail, we may be able to suggest solutions.