Topic: Will Airteq eventually replace Organteq?

I wonder if Airteq eventually will replace Organteq? The main reason is that Airteq generates sound in real time from a physical model of air flowing through virtual pipes. This is exactly what happens with organ pipes...

A second reason why I wonder about an eventually replacement of Organteq with Airteq is that there seems to be no active development going on with Organteq. The latest update for Organteq is version 2.1.2 from December 17, 2024. Almost 2 years ago.

And although some people say that it is because of the size of the development team (I believe about 10 people), the fact that there is no communication from that development team about an ongoing development of Organteq makes me wonder is something else is happening. Like the development of Airteq, which might be able to do exactly what Organteq does right now: generating sound from a physical model of air flowing through virtual pipes.

Re: Will Airteq eventually replace Organteq?

From what I've seen so far, Airteq and Organteq are different things, although they share the same physical modeling engine based on organ pipes. Airteq is a synthesizer designed for creating new sounds, while Organteq (like Pianoteq) is geared toward emulating real physical instruments, and they do it really well; I can attest to that.
I understand that developing Organteq is perhaps Modartt’s biggest challenge, just think about the fact that they might be modeling new pipes (hopefully including some from Spanish and Italian organs).
We’ll have to be patient (just like Pianoteq fans are while waiting for the Fazioli, Yamaha CFX, etc.).

zpidermen wrote:

I wonder if Airteq eventually will replace Organteq? The main reason is that Airteq generates sound in real time from a physical model of air flowing through virtual pipes. This is exactly what happens with organ pipes...

A second reason why I wonder about an eventually replacement of Organteq with Airteq is that there seems to be no active development going on with Organteq. The latest update for Organteq is version 2.1.2 from December 17, 2024. Almost 2 years ago.

And although some people say that it is because of the size of the development team (I believe about 10 people), the fact that there is no communication from that development team about an ongoing development of Organteq makes me wonder is something else is happening. Like the development of Airteq, which might be able to do exactly what Organteq does right now: generating sound from a physical model of air flowing through virtual pipes.

Re: Will Airteq eventually replace Organteq?

The fact that a synthesizer can be set to sound like a pipe organ does not mean it becomes an organ that can be played in the same way as a classical pipe organ.
Why? Because the pipe organ relies on creating timbre through various combinations of stops and changing them while playing—capabilities that synthesizers lack.

Re: Will Airteq eventually replace Organteq?

Hi,

Although both are based on pipes/aerophones modelling, Organteq and Airteq are designed for different musical purposes. We will continue to develop and support both.

Re: Will Airteq eventually replace Organteq?

Roman \ dev guys, at least would be cool to give Organteq users some loyalty discount to Airteq lol

Last edited by ab459 (19-09-2026 15:43)

Re: Will Airteq eventually replace Organteq?

Organteq has a very clear target audience. What exactly is the target audience for Airteq?

I guess Airteq is more targeting Hans Zimmer or A. R. Rahman than a normal user.

I find it maddening to use personally.

Re: Will Airteq eventually replace Organteq?

navindra wrote:

Organteq has a very clear target audience. What exactly is the target audience for Airteq?

I guess Airteq is more targeting Hans Zimmer or A. R. Rahman than a normal user.

I find it maddening to use personally.


Hi Navindra.

I think their answer is clear.

As hey say:
For composers, sound designers and musicians looking for organic movement, physical variability and evolving acoustic-like textures.

A physically modelled sound design instrument for evolving textures, cinematic atmospheres and expressive sonic exploration.

Best wishes,

Stig

P.s. I have 2 pieces here. If you have time , listen to them.
More is coming.

Re: Will Airteq eventually replace Organteq?

Roman wrote:

Hi,

Although both are based on pipes/aerophones modelling, Organteq and Airteq are designed for different musical purposes. We will continue to develop and support both.

I would love to see stops somehow integrated into Airteq. A virtual harmonium? Yes, please.

Re: Will Airteq eventually replace Organteq?

Indeed, it’s hard to understand Airteq's purpose, especially compared to the other two products from the same company, which are completely self-explanatory. Airteq seems geared towards production, sound design, etc., more for people into electronic, experimental music, or soundtracks.

I was in the open beta, and the same thing happened to me at first. Given the name, I expected it to be something along the lines of Modartt: a simulation of aerophones, like the ones by SWAM, for example. But it wasn’t, and it took me a while to get my head around that concept of an organ with LFOs and envelopes.

Now, though, I think it does have its place in that 'cinematic' world, as they call it nowadays, and in more experimental electronics (not EDM, of course).

navindra wrote:

Organteq has a very clear target audience. What exactly is the target audience for Airteq?

I guess Airteq is more targeting Hans Zimmer or A. R. Rahman than a normal user.

I find it maddening to use personally.

Re: Will Airteq eventually replace Organteq?

jmanrique wrote:

Indeed, it’s hard to understand Airteq's purpose, especially compared to the other two products from the same company, which are completely self-explanatory. Airteq seems geared towards production, sound design, etc., more for people into electronic, experimental music, or soundtracks.

I was in the open beta, and the same thing happened to me at first. Given the name, I expected it to be something along the lines of Modartt: a simulation of aerophones, like the ones by SWAM, for example. But it wasn’t, and it took me a while to get my head around that concept of an organ with LFOs and envelopes.

Now, though, I think it does have its place in that 'cinematic' world, as they call it nowadays, and in more experimental electronics (not EDM, of course).

navindra wrote:

Organteq has a very clear target audience. What exactly is the target audience for Airteq?

I guess Airteq is more targeting Hans Zimmer or A. R. Rahman than a normal user.

I find it maddening to use personally.


"It's hard to understand Airteq's purpose....."

It is clear to me that Airteq isn't for everyone. It is not a "normal instrument." Not for everyone.
And when I read Modartt's explanation (the "why" or "how" from the ground up):

”Airteq is not a sample library and not a traditional synthesizer. It generates sound in real time from a physical model of air flowing through virtual pipes”

”For composers, sound designers and musicians looking for organic movement, physical variability and evolving acoustic-like textures.”

I got a question:
Would you recommend Airteq to everyone?  I answered: "No, not to everyone." After using it was easy to say.

I have several recordings in Recordings featuring Modartt's software.

Here is my new recording, as an example.

Airteq. A Fantasy Story.
Accidents happen so easily. Alarm bells are ringing; no help is coming. In the end, not even a call for help gets through. Sad. More and more windows are breaking...
As Modartt say: "For cinematic atmospheres and expressive sonic exploration".

Please use headphones.

https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=13532

All the best, everyone

Stig

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (08-10-2026 23:56)

Re: Will Airteq eventually replace Organteq?

That’s it! Airteq has truly touched your soul!

You are diving into a long-standing musical tradition. On the instrumental side, there's the programmatic music of the 19th century, preceded by the descriptive music of the French Baroque masters. On the electronic side, you have the French musique concrète, which evolved into what we now call acousmatique (though nowadays, due to Anglo-Saxon influence, people use the term "cinematic" a lot), as well as the very German tradition of Hörspiel, or radio drama.
Making music with extra-musical elements is incredibly inspiring, telling a story beyond the music itself, even if we ultimately choose to keep the plot hidden, as so many of us do.

Airteq, with its highly organic foundation, deeply tied to something material and acoustic rather than electronic, is perfect for this. In fact, electronic music in this vein (electroacoustic, acousmatic, or whatever you want to call it) usually relies very little on synthesis, if at all. Instead, it uses mostly or entirely field recordings and post-processing, precisely because it seeks that organic feel.

Congratulations! Hopefully, we'll see more examples like this around here so we can break away from the standards that are already everywhere.

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:
jmanrique wrote:

Indeed, it’s hard to understand Airteq's purpose, especially compared to the other two products from the same company, which are completely self-explanatory. Airteq seems geared towards production, sound design, etc., more for people into electronic, experimental music, or soundtracks.

I was in the open beta, and the same thing happened to me at first. Given the name, I expected it to be something along the lines of Modartt: a simulation of aerophones, like the ones by SWAM, for example. But it wasn’t, and it took me a while to get my head around that concept of an organ with LFOs and envelopes.

Now, though, I think it does have its place in that 'cinematic' world, as they call it nowadays, and in more experimental electronics (not EDM, of course).

navindra wrote:

Organteq has a very clear target audience. What exactly is the target audience for Airteq?

I guess Airteq is more targeting Hans Zimmer or A. R. Rahman than a normal user.

I find it maddening to use personally.


"It's hard to understand Airteq's purpose....."

It is clear to me that Airteq isn't for everyone. It is not a "normal instrument." Not for everyone.
And when I read Modartt's explanation (the "why" or "how" from the ground up):

”Airteq is not a sample library and not a traditional synthesizer. It generates sound in real time from a physical model of air flowing through virtual pipes”

”For composers, sound designers and musicians looking for organic movement, physical variability and evolving acoustic-like textures.”

I got a question:
Would you recommend Airteq to everyone?  I answered: "No, not to everyone." After using it was easy to say.

I have several recordings in Recordings featuring Modartt's software.

Here is my new recording, as an example.

Airteq. A Fantasy Story.
Accidents happen so easily. Alarm bells are ringing; no help is coming. In the end, not even a call for help gets through. Sad. More and more windows are breaking...
As Modartt say: "For cinematic atmospheres and expressive sonic exploration".

Please use headphones.

https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=13532

All the best, everyone

Stig

Re: Will Airteq eventually replace Organteq?

jmanrique wrote:

That’s it! Airteq has truly touched your soul!

You are diving into a long-standing musical tradition. On the instrumental side, there's the programmatic music of the 19th century, preceded by the descriptive music of the French Baroque masters. On the electronic side, you have the French musique concrète, which evolved into what we now call acousmatique (though nowadays, due to Anglo-Saxon influence, people use the term "cinematic" a lot), as well as the very German tradition of Hörspiel, or radio drama.
Making music with extra-musical elements is incredibly inspiring, telling a story beyond the music itself, even if we ultimately choose to keep the plot hidden, as so many of us do.

Airteq, with its highly organic foundation, deeply tied to something material and acoustic rather than electronic, is perfect for this. In fact, electronic music in this vein (electroacoustic, acousmatic, or whatever you want to call it) usually relies very little on synthesis, if at all. Instead, it uses mostly or entirely field recordings and post-processing, precisely because it seeks that organic feel.

Congratulations! Hopefully, we'll see more examples like this around here so we can break away from the standards that are already everywhere.

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:
jmanrique wrote:

Indeed, it’s hard to understand Airteq's purpose, especially compared to the other two products from the same company, which are completely self-explanatory. Airteq seems geared towards production, sound design, etc., more for people into electronic, experimental music, or soundtracks.

I was in the open beta, and the same thing happened to me at first. Given the name, I expected it to be something along the lines of Modartt: a simulation of aerophones, like the ones by SWAM, for example. But it wasn’t, and it took me a while to get my head around that concept of an organ with LFOs and envelopes.

Now, though, I think it does have its place in that 'cinematic' world, as they call it nowadays, and in more experimental electronics (not EDM, of course).


"It's hard to understand Airteq's purpose....."

It is clear to me that Airteq isn't for everyone. It is not a "normal instrument." Not for everyone.
And when I read Modartt's explanation (the "why" or "how" from the ground up):

”Airteq is not a sample library and not a traditional synthesizer. It generates sound in real time from a physical model of air flowing through virtual pipes”

”For composers, sound designers and musicians looking for organic movement, physical variability and evolving acoustic-like textures.”

I got a question:
Would you recommend Airteq to everyone?  I answered: "No, not to everyone." After using it was easy to say.

I have several recordings in Recordings featuring Modartt's software.

Here is my new recording, as an example.

Airteq. A Fantasy Story.
Accidents happen so easily. Alarm bells are ringing; no help is coming. In the end, not even a call for help gets through. Sad. More and more windows are breaking...
As Modartt say: "For cinematic atmospheres and expressive sonic exploration".

Please use headphones.

https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=13532

All the best, everyone

Stig


Thank you jmanrique. I really appreciate your thoughts! I’m glad.
There are already several creations, and more is coming, in Recordings featuring Modartt’s software.

Best wishes,

Stig