Topic: Learning to Play the Guitar

Here's my second attempt...

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...iation.mp3

WHAT HAVE I LEARNED

Just using the Classical Guitar setting 'out the box' with no tweaks...

1. Use the sustain pedal to keep the strings sounding
2. Use the soft pedal for note glissando (last note on recording)
3. Use open harmony confirmed by careful observation of fret board graphic to avoid 'stolen' notes.

Re: Learning to Play the Guitar

..Third attempt...

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...0Loose.mp3

WHAT HAVE I LEARNED

4. Use lowest A on piano for 'pinched harmonic' (last note in recording)
5. This is a great tool for non-guitarist to create music that's actually playable by real guitarists - just need to watch where the note clusters are on the fretboard and keep them 'close' to each other.

I'm loving learning about the guitar! Thanks Modartt for such an innovative addition to what was already a spectacular programme.

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT !!!

Last edited by DEZ (18-11-2022 20:20)

..Fourth attempt

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...ganteq.mp3

WHAT HAVE I LEARNED

6. Use low Db to ensure open strings are used where possible

PLEASE NOTE
All these 'demos' are off the top of my head with little preparation so there may be the odd mistake. Do forgive me as I said before, “I don't consider myself to be a musician.”Although I do play.

Last edited by DEZ (18-11-2022 20:18)

..Fifth attempt

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...umming.mp3

WHAT HAVE I LEARNED

7. Use Ab for down strum (lowest note to highest) and Bb for up strum (highest note to lowest.)
8. Be careful about dynamics - this instrument can get very loud and very muddy !

This is no masterpiece by any means and it gets quite loud towards the end as I test the dynamics.

I've edited this post three times, because I wasn't sure which was the top note as you have the guitar on your lap facing away from you. It's the lowest note at the top and the highest at the bottom so you can play the bass notes with the thumb and the higher notes with your other fingers of the right hand. STILL LEARNING !

Last edited by DEZ (19-11-2022 12:44)

DEZ wrote:

PLEASE NOTE
All these 'demos' are off the top of my head with little preparation so there may be the odd mistake. Do forgive me as I said before, “I don't consider myself to be a musician.”Although I do play.

You did a lovely job with these demos. Thank you for posting them.

I recorded all of them to keep as great reference tracks for this instrument, as they are great examples of how it can sound as a solo classical instrument. Very pleasant indeed.

You've made me more interested in the new guitar than I was previously! I only wish the classical guitar came with the upgrade.

Last edited by Zedd (19-11-2022 04:01)
MacPro OSX 10.12.6 (Sierra)

Zedd wrote:

You did a lovely job with these demos. Thank you for posting them. You are most welcome !

I recorded all of them to keep as great reference tracks for this instrument, as they are great examples of how it can sound as a solo classical instrument. Very pleasant indeed. Wow ! I'm honoured.

You've made me more interested in the new guitar than I was previously!  Glad to hear it. I only wish the classical guitar came with the upgrade.

Thanks Zedd for your encouragement !

I don't play the guitar, but I think it's a lovely addition to the range of available instruments and as such it's there to buy if it appeals.

Piano is my first love and can't wait to start delving into those - a brief excursion makes me feel like a highly skilled technician has just finished tuning the piano.

All the best,

DEZ

Last edited by DEZ (19-11-2022 12:57)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uju3x9ce98fbmku/Guitar_Chord_Shapes_01.png?raw=1

This is a simple sequence showing off my first discovered chord shape that works well with the Guitar starting from E and rising to Bb. Also A to Eb second inversion and C7 to F7 just for the fun of  it !!!

=====================================================================================

Now to put it together into a short piece for practise.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qtr8e31w8pa0el3/Guitar_Chord_Shapes_02.png?raw=1

..And here's what it sounds like...

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...pes_01.mp3

DEZ wrote:

..Fifth attempt

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...umming.mp3

WHAT HAVE I LEARNED

7. Use Ab for down strum (lowest note to highest) and Bb for up strum (highest note to lowest.)
8. Be careful about dynamics - this instrument can get very loud and very muddy !

This is no masterpiece by any means and it gets quite loud towards the end as I test the dynamics.

I've edited this post three times, because I wasn't sure which was the top note as you have the guitar on your lap facing away from you. It's the lowest note at the top and the highest at the bottom so you can play the bass notes with the thumb and the higher notes with your other fingers of the right hand. STILL LEARNING !

I am really impressed with what you've done.  Thank you for sharing your progress step by step.  It truly sounds like a classical guitar!

DEZ wrote:
Zedd wrote:

You did a lovely job with these demos. Thank you for posting them. You are most welcome !

I recorded all of them to keep as great reference tracks for this instrument, as they are great examples of how it can sound as a solo classical instrument. Very pleasant indeed. Wow ! I'm honoured.

You've made me more interested in the new guitar than I was previously!  Glad to hear it. I only wish the classical guitar came with the upgrade.

Thanks Zedd for your encouragement !

I don't play the guitar, but I think it's a lovely addition to the range of available instruments and as such it's there to buy if it appeals.

Piano is my first love and can't wait to start delving into those - a brief excursion makes me feel like a highly skilled technician has just finished tuning the piano.

All the best,

DEZ

I've read a lot of posts on the new guitar model, including from people who sounded upset that Modartt included a guitar at all!  I don't anticipate that I'll use it, even though I did get it without charge (because I upgraded to studio only a few months ago), but I think it's wonderful that it is available.  Listening to your explorations makes me realize its potential.  Most of all, I think it is foolish to expect that any one of us will be super-interested in every single model that is available through Pianoteq!  We are so diverse, as is our musical taste.  Each of us is free to focus on the instruments that excite us from this amazing array. The upgrade itself -- which greatly improved the existing models -- is a fantastic value at only $29.

thanks for the tips!

i'm sure they will come in handy.

BarbaraRB wrote:

I am really impressed with what you've done. Thank you for sharing your progress step by step. It truly sounds like a classical guitar! That purely down to Modartt !

Thank you BarbaraRB for taking the time to encourage me. I'm just sharing what little I can and if it helps others then it makes me feel my posts aren't in vain.

BarbaraRB wrote:

I've read a lot of posts on the new guitar model, including from people who sounded upset that Modartt included a guitar at all!  I don't anticipate that I'll use it, even though I did get it without charge (because I upgraded to studio only a few months ago), but I think it's wonderful that it is available.  Listening to your explorations makes me realize its potential.  Most of all, I think it is foolish to expect that any one of us will be super-interested in every single model that is available through Pianoteq!  We are so diverse, as is our musical taste.  Each of us is free to focus on the instruments that excite us from this amazing array. The upgrade itself -- which greatly improved the existing models -- is a fantastic value at only $29.

I agree with you, Modartt has done a sterling job on revoicing the pianos and they sound fantastic. I feel more connected to them in a 'physical' sense as though I'm actually sitting infront of a magnificent grand piano that's way above my means and it excites me to just sit and play. With regard to the 'bashing' I feel saddened. I'd like to say to them, "Why not give the instrument a chance - see if it grows on you? Perhaps you may come to appreciate it and ... who knows ... even love it !"

Thanks again for your comments.

moontan wrote:

thanks for the tips!

i'm sure they will come in handy. Let's hope so...

Thanks for the appreciative comment !

DEZ wrote:
BarbaraRB wrote:

I agree with you, Modartt has done a sterling job on revoicing the pianos and they sound fantastic. I feel more connected to them in a 'physical' sense as though I'm actually sitting infront of a magnificent grand piano that's way above my means and it excites me to just sit and play. With regard to the 'bashing' I feel saddened. I'd like to say to them, "Why not give the instrument a chance - see if it grows on you? Perhaps you may come to appreciate it and ... who knows ... even love it !"

Thanks again for your comments.

I totally agree with you about the quality of the pianos.  I feel like a billionaire, having all these pianos!  Right now, especially at my early stage of development, I need to focus on piano and not branch out to other things (except for the harpsichords, which I love, especially because I love Baroque music).  But some day I may want to experiment with other instruments, such as the guitar.  I'm already doing things I never would have thought I'd be able to.