Topic: So why guitar?

Are you a guitarist? Neither am I (but if you are, this post may not be for you).

So why exactly do we need guitar emulations? Can't use them in public without getting laughed at, very hard to use them in recordings with an authentic expression, so why, Modartt? Is there a target audience of "keytar" players somewhere?

I guess that the current economic crisis is affecting software companies, too, so why not using your ressources to refine Organteq 2 and of course focus on Pianoteq and it's family? I'd also love to see an overhaul on the electric pianos. Their sound is way too hard compared to, say, Lounge Lizard.

Sorry, but his time I have to really convince myself that I should support Pianoteq with an update to v8. If I buy, I will never use it's guitar. I just won't. If you are a guitarist and own Pianoteq, you're in luck and may use it skillfully, the rest of us will suck at playing (but yes, the Daniel Fisher video is very entertaining. just like skilled Launchpad players are good at fingerplaying drums). I guess Kontakt or Band-in-a-box will do the job much easier, if you are looking for authentic guitar playing. Sorry for ranting.

Last edited by CuriousDan (17-11-2022 20:53)

Re: So why guitar?

The guitar model isn't free (unless you have the full set). It is just another new pack. Other people could ask why harp, why steel drums and so on.

Meanwhile literally all of the pianos have been improved.

I like to customise my own patches from the electric pianos in Pianoteq. They are very good models, i'm just not keen on their Presets.

The electric pianos have been improved. The Reed model has been modified and we now have a mono out to stereo FX option.

It would be nice if they do suitcase modelling and a few more variants of the Rhodes in the future. Perhaps the new one too.
It may seem shallow but it's rather nice to have visualisations of the CP80, Rhodes and Wurly and the others.

Who's to say they won't produce a few new instrument packs in the next few months. Assuming we are all still here that is..

Lots on their plate with the iOS version and Organteq 2.

Key Fumbler wrote:

The guitar model isn't free (unless you have the full set). It is just another new pack. Other people could ask why harp, why steel drums and so on.

Meanwhile literally all of the pianos have been improved.

Oh, I thought the guitar was included for free. My bad.
Still I don't see any real world use. 99% of us are probably embarassing bad at playing keytar and 1% would be making Youtube videos (or film/tv scores with guitar sounds).

Last edited by CuriousDan (17-11-2022 21:08)

If Modartt can attract new customers with this release it would be to our advantage i think.
More customers = higher revenue = more money to develop awesome pianos!!!!

...that's my dream at least.

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."

CuriousDan wrote:

So why exactly do we need guitar emulations? Can't use them in public without getting laughed at, very hard to use them in recordings with an authentic expression, so why, Modartt? Is there a target audience of "keytar" players somewhere?

I suggest you check out the demos here https://www.modartt.com/pianoteq?tab=instruments, specially Piet de Ridder's tunes. Sounds wonderful. Shows what it can do in the hands of a good player, with enough practice. And for live playing, I remember seeing Jan Hammer performing with the great Tony Williams on drums. Hammer's solos sounded like Jimi. Nobody was laughing...

PT 7.3 with Steinway B and D, U4 upright, YC5, Bechstein DG, Steingraeber, Ant. Petrov, Kremsegg Collection #2, Electric Pianos and Hohner Collection. http://antoinewcaron.com

It's an amazing move by Modartt:

1. Shows Modartt's modeling technology to be even more superior and versatile than we already knew it was.
2. Allows incredible flexibility with layering/custom/randomizing our own sounds.
3. The sound of the guitar is astounding -- better than most you'll hear including the newly released "RealGuitar".
4. Included in Studio, even more bang for our loyalty at a 'more than fair' cost.
5. Studio work is most of the work people do.
6. On and on.

Just to be clear, I didn't write this because I dislike Modartt or it's products. Been a loyal customer since version 3 back in 2009.

Last edited by CuriousDan (17-11-2022 22:55)

Besides perhaps a Fazioli grand the piano department is covered pretty well already
For bowed string- and wind instruments (which would have been my no. 1 wish a few years ago) there is the Audio Modelling stuff available now.
So I think a good guitar sound is a great addition! Should work particularly well with LinnStrument!

CuriousDan wrote:

Just to be clear, I didn't write this because I dislike Modartt or it's products. Been a loyal customer since version 3 back in 2009.

Maybe not seeing the wood for the trees. It's all about perception.

We already have so many excellent pianos and they all got upgraded!
Like the world's best piano tuner and service engineers came in and serviced every single piano in a grand collection, while they improved their features and elevated performance across the board.
For the first time they gained a visual representation too.

The upgrade is €29, less than a single instrument pack. I think it is priced fairly.

Last edited by Key Fumbler (17-11-2022 23:42)

CuriousDan wrote:

Still I don't see any real world use. 99% of us are probably embarassing bad at playing keytar and 1% would be making Youtube videos (or film/tv scores with guitar sounds).

This guitar is absolutely delightful to play with. Nobody will laugh at me because I'm not trying to make people think I'm a guitarist.
Thing is, if I need a guitar part in my composition, then this addon is a great tool, as something like Audiobro or Swam are with strings, and MDrummer or Jamstix with drums, etc.
Maybe are you just playing the piano with a piano sound, then Pianoteq 8 is still a very good update ; but as far as I'm concerned, it was an instant buy for both upgrade and guitar instrument, and with no regret !

Last edited by robisme (18-11-2022 13:16)

I very much like the guitar too, I have yet to try it properly but I think it has wonderful possibilities. Although I do own a classical guitar and can just about fumble my way through some of the easiest Fernando Sor etudes, I'm certainly no guitarist. Looking forward to attempting some renditions of classical guitar repertoire on the keyboard, and I may even be inspired to try some original compositions for guitar. I have no great interest in strumming chords - there's plenty of alternative software out there that does that, but I think the Pianoteq guitar will be very good for classical or finger-style.

I was surprised at how fun the guitar demo is to play, and it sounds lovely, but I can't help but feel that the UI and modelling side of it seems a bit... half-arsed?

Nearly all the available parameters and descriptions are exactly the same as they are for the piano models - where can I adjust the interesting modelling stuff, like neck length, no. of strings, body size/shape, frets, etc.? I can understand if there are limitations according to the the adaptation of the piano model, but it should be better disguised, IMO.

Ben Crosland wrote:

I was surprised at how fun the guitar demo is to play, and it sounds lovely, but I can't help but feel that the UI and modelling side of it seems a bit... half-arsed?

Nearly all the available parameters and descriptions are exactly the same as they are for the piano models - where can I adjust the interesting modelling stuff, like neck length, no. of strings, body size/shape, frets, etc.? I can understand if there are limitations according to the the adaptation of the piano model, but it should be better disguised, IMO.

Yeah, I see what you mean, but I suppose it's early days. The interface is a bit fiddly! There are a few extra controls hidden under an arrow on the right. A few options for alternative tunings, but I'm surprised it isn't possible to change the strings to any note desired - maybe that will come later?

Hi Guys and Dolls,

lil ol Pboy here chiming in on the guitar thingy:

Don't need it, don't want it.
Well perhaps if it was included free with the Update. i'd tinker a bit with it.
But i will never buy it. And i don't think a lot of guitarists will do. Or (hobby) pianists

Perhaps Modarrt better had made a separate product called Guitarteq.

Instead of focusing on a guitar, i'd rather had them come up with a new acoustic grand model.

Despite the revoicing of the pianos, i feel a bit underwhelmed of this "major" update.

Anyway, should Modarrt venture into modeling other instruments, i would be interested in  a strings-lute combo, like the Chinese Erhu, which - for my ears - is a dream companion to acoustic piano sounds ...*-)

Music was my first love. And it will be my last. Music of the future. And music of the past (John Miles)

Pboy wrote:

Hi Guys and Dolls,

But i will never buy it. And i don't think a lot of guitarists will do. Or (hobby) pianists

Instead of focusing on a guitar, i'd rather had them come up with a new acoustic grand model.

Despite the revoicing of the pianos, i feel a bit underwhelmed of this "major" update.

Anyway, should Modarrt venture into modeling other instruments, i would be interested in  a strings-lute combo, like the Chinese Erhu, which - for my ears - is a dream companion to acoustic piano sounds ...*-)

The existence of the chromatic percussive instruments and harp also upset you?
The updates to the 20 odd pianos that would fit easily into a modern music mix or contemporary interpretations of classical material and updates to the numerous other historical pianos not enough?

As curveballs go it's superbly done and lots of people like it. It seems a few people are annoyed too. The more I think about it the more amusing it is. The sense of entitlement when they upgraded everything for €29.

Maybe a few people have put a bet down on them producing a CFX, Fazioli or 290?

Guitarteq, this should have been the new instrument, in the way that organteq has been released,

Every emulation with a different app IMHO.

i'm guessing they did guitar because they already had developed various plucked string models (harps, harpsichord) and were able to use what they learned there.  there are lots of other challenges in a guitar model besides just that strings are getting plucked, like the fact that notes can be played on different strings, which affects tone/articulation.  so it seems like a natural problem to attack. in any case it's hugely fun to play with it, so i'm not complaining, au contraire. 

i'm looking forward to more modern pianos myself, and i'm sure they'll come.  the improvements in all the pianos in this release already make it worth paying for an upgrade, in my opinion.

Silentman wrote:

Guitarteq, this should have been the new instrument, in the way that organteq has been released,

Did you know that you can hide the instruments that you don't use?

If you haven't bought a pack you can hide it.

Where would you draw the line on separating these versions?
Electric-teq?
Harpteq?
Chromaticteq?
Harpsichord-teq
Historic -teq

I think people would soon me asking where drum-teq was or wind-teq or Strings-teq or even Synth-teq. Accordion-teq?

As an owner of AAS Strum GS-2 i was sceptical if Modartt would nail it,
but when used as a VST with amp and guitar effects plugins it's so lovely.
We got plenty of pianos in the arsenal anyway.

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."

I love the guitar thing. Great fun at the very least. Vibrating strings, hit or plucked under one roof! Personally, I hate the tendency to have a distinct app for every single thing (like on phones or tablets). It complicates everything. Pianoteq is a lean and mean app with so much power all in the same place. It is compatible with older OS and older computers, low memory requirements, etc. What's not to love?
But some people will never be happy, no matter what!

PT 7.3 with Steinway B and D, U4 upright, YC5, Bechstein DG, Steingraeber, Ant. Petrov, Kremsegg Collection #2, Electric Pianos and Hohner Collection. http://antoinewcaron.com

I have Strum GS2 also. Great app, but lacking in proper velocity control. I immediately purchased the Classical Guitar for Pianoteq, and it is very promising for a first version.

Zaskar wrote:

aWc wrote:

I have Strum GS2 also. Great app, but lacking in proper velocity control. I immediately purchased the Classical Guitar for Pianoteq, and it is very promising for a first version.

Zaskar wrote:

https://hearthis.at/xnwdv7yv/bergaqmote-pianoteq-8/

Silentman wrote:

It is the same - string simulation - organs are different, they do not have strings.

However, would be nice to have an adapted interface with respective parameters ... hopefully that is coming.

Can we play different articulations (mutes, harmonics (natural, artifical), etc)? And the type of strings (nylon, metallic, etc.)?

Last edited by steff3 (19-11-2022 11:30)

It’s a nylon stringed guitar, Steff, so no, the type of strings can’t be changed. The future might bring models of steel stringed guitars, electric guitars and perhaps even other stringed instruments, I don’t know.

Yes,  you can trigger different articulations — harmonics, mutes, glissando, thumb on the lower strings, open string, etc. … — with keyswitches. And there’s another way as well to play pretty convincing muted notes by using the Impedance, Cutoff and Q-factor parameters (lower the first two, raise the third). These parameters having a range means that you can move gradually from non-muted over half-muted to completely muted. Works really well.

Using another parameter, the Plucking Point, allows you to simulate playing closer to or further away from the bridge. Playing closer to the bridge on a real guitar, and on this Pianoteq guitar (lower the Plucking Point), produces a thinner, more pointed sound while moving away from the bridge (raise the Plucking Point) gives a fuller, rounder tone.

As for the interface: maybe you haven’t looked yet, but the GUI changes when you select the Guitar to reveal all that you need to make working with the instrument as intuitive and user-friendly as possible. (The virtual fretboard can even be detached for extra convenience.)

I think they’ve done a truly magnificent job with this guitar.

_

I have bought and experimented the Classical guitar.

First of all congratulations for this great job. The sound and ergonomy are great.
the graphic drawing of the guitar neck enables to figure out if a chord is anatomically possible or nor. (i am not a guitar player but a big guitar fan and connaiseur!

With some effort and fiddling one can have very interestni guitars. I have made a preset for Django Reinhardt electric guitar very close to the sound of his unique elecrtic guitar recording.
Regarding the nylon guitars I have tried to modelize Robrerto Grela' sound (argentinian plectrum on nylon guitarist and Atahualpa Yupanqui's sound (nails nylon folk guitarist)
I manage well except that the attack noise (equivalent to hammer noise  in pianoteq pianos) is always too loud. In the extreme trebble it is really disturbing, it is not so on a real guitar. Moving the "plucking point" slider all the way to the right and the "plucking noise" slider all the way to the left improves a bit but then the hard plucking stile (nearer the bridge) is lost.
It sound like recorded from very near, or in the mouth of the guitar.
I woukd like to share this feeling with Modartt people. I can send sound samples if needed.

These are humble remarks to try to help improving the instrument, which is already fantastic.

Those who ask "why a guitar" are probably guitar virtuosos J am not ;-)

NothanUmber wrote:

Should work particularly well with LinnStrument!

It does! I upgraded to Pro and took the guitar for that reason. Only thing I wish is that Pianoteq would support 48 semitone pitchbend setting.

CuriousDan wrote:

Are you a guitarist? Neither am I (but if you are, this post may not be for you).

I guess that the current economic crisis is affecting software companies, too, so why not using your ressources to refine Organteq 2 and of course focus on Pianoteq and it's family? I'd also love to see an overhaul on the electric pianos. Their sound is way too hard compared to, say, Lounge Lizard.

Sorry, but his time I have to really convince myself that I should support Pianoteq with an update to v8. If I buy, I will never use it's guitar. I just won't. If you are a guitarist and own Pianoteq, you're in luck and may use it skillfully, the rest of us will suck at playing (but yes, the Daniel Fisher video is very entertaining. just like skilled Launchpad players are good at fingerplaying drums). I guess Kontakt or Band-in-a-box will do the job much easier, if you are looking for authentic guitar playing. Sorry for ranting.

If you try the existing pianos using 8.0 -- not just listening to the demos, but actually trying the pianos on your own music -- I think you'll see a remarkable improvement on many of them.  Two that especially impressed me are the NY Steinway D and the YC5, but I'm looking forward to working with others as well.  The improvement is so dramatic -- it's like playing a totally new instrument, and I'm a beginner (I only returned to the piano 14 months ago, after an absence of 60 years, so I had to start all over again).  The $29 fee for the upgrade is trivial, and what we have been given in return is astonishing.

i think i'm gonna upgrade from Stage to Standard and get this guitar.

i think it does sound pretty damn good, especially for a first version.
frankly, i'd much rather use modelled instruments instead of sampled ones.
and also glad to see Pianoteq branching out with this first guitar.

i hope there are more coming.

Last edited by moontan (19-11-2022 19:17)

moontan wrote:

i think i'm gonna upgrade from Stage to Standard and get this guitar.

i think it does sound pretty damn good, especially for a first version.
frankly, i'd much rather use modelled instruments instead of sampled ones.
and also glad to see Pianoteq branching out with this first guitar.

i hope there are more coming.

I agree.

As a pro user, I'd much rather see other categories of instruments (like the new Guitar) being produced than more pianos, since I can pretty much make any piano I'd like with the engine capabilities and having dozens of great ones already. And as I already mentioned in this thread, it was a brilliant and incredibly generous move on Modartt's part to make this new guitar part of Pianoteq, and not a stand-alone product.

Last edited by PSongs (20-11-2022 01:22)

We already have a lot of extremely good pianos, so, although always welcomed, a new piano isn't an emergency imho.

I agree that i would also prefer them to spend time on the organ family. Organteq is a fantastic product, i would love to see more specialized organs from various time periods, baroque, french, spanish, etc. And i would die for a 3 manual Silbermann (i know i'm not being original here, but to this day, i haven't heard/played anything that i like more than Bach on a good Silber, coming from Hauptwerk, where i own a lot of their available Silbers and other baroques).

That said, i find this guitar very convincing, i wouldn't be surprised to buy it some day, just for the pleasure of the sound.
And most important, the way i see and hope it (being quite a baroque person), guitar is the first step toward a luth, that will no doubt come someday now that they have the tech.
And again, being able to play Bach with a ancient luth sound would be, i'm sure, a heavenly pleasure.

So welcome to this guitar, in the hope it will pave the way for its ancesters :-)

Cheers

Last edited by cedric (20-11-2022 10:58)

Tells the legend that when Elvis Presley was a boy, he went into a store with his mother to get a gift. He pointed to a rifle and asked if she could buy it. His mother would had said the gun was dangerous and instead bought hin a guitar.

That's why the guitar.

;-)

I play the guitar, so no real need. My $2000 Yamaha accompaniment keyboard also has amazing guitar sounds, mimics behavior like hammer ons and pull offs, and also has notes assigned for fret noise - but no glissando.
I have the pro studio version of Pianoteq, and I feel that the improvements to the pianos is a sufficient justification for the upgrade.
There are always going to be some instruments that some will never use yet others will see as a game changer.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

Pboy wrote:

Hi Guys and Dolls,

I will inded buy it, and looking forward to try the guitar.
I love all the Instruments thats not piano... And the pianos

The guitar sound of pianoteq is quite nice and I understand that modartt wanted to model it. However, if I have fun playing it, I don't feel like I'm playing guitar at all (I don't have a midi guitar neck). The DNA of Pianoteq is to simulate as closely as possible the piano playing, with a correct keyboard you really play the piano and you have for a very reasonable price the feeling of playing on exceptional concert pianos. It is the pianoteq miracle...
It is very easy to get a real guitar for a little price and to learn to play it, it is not the case for a grand piano. 

I have nothing against the guitar of pianoteq but it is for me an interesting parenthesis, not more...
But fortunately pianoteq in this version has also improved the grand pianos. It allows to wait until the next grand... I hope...

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

cedric wrote:

I agree that i would also prefer them to spend time on the organ family. Organteq is a fantastic product, i would love to see more specialized organs from various time periods, baroque, french, spanish, etc. And i would die for a 3 manual Silbermann (i know i'm not being original here, but to this day, i haven't heard/played anything that i like more than Bach on a good Silber, coming from Hauptwerk, where i own a lot of their available Silbers and other baroques).
Cheers

Not gonna happen.
You know why?
Because Modartt are spreading their resources on everything. Apparently there are more hobbyists and composers who need a guitar than organists who need an improved Organteq. V1 was promising and I really, really hoped it would compete with Hauptwerk, but that was just a crazy idea.
Personally I would love to see in the future a harmonium or bandoneon who will work with volume foot controllers. The harmonium is such a rare and beautiful instrument and it deserves a simulation from Modartt.

Last edited by CuriousDan (20-11-2022 22:21)

Gaston wrote:
aWc wrote:

Zaskar wrote:

https://hearthis.at/xnwdv7yv/bergaqmote-pianoteq-8/

Well done Gerard! I like it. And nice demo on Modartt website too. Keep it up!

Best,

Stig

I hope that they will give organteq an evolution toward all "pipe" instruments, like woodwinds (especially flutes) and bagpipes.

CuriousDan wrote:
cedric wrote:

Cheers

Not gonna happen.
You know why?
Because Modartt are spreading their resources on everything. Apparently there are more hobbyists and composers who need a guitar than organists who need an improved Organteq. V1 was promising and I really, really hoped it would compete with Hauptwerk, but that was just a crazy idea.
Personally I would love to see in the future a harmonium or bandoneon who will work with volume foot controllers. The harmonium is such a rare and beautiful instrument and it deserves a simulation from Modartt.

well, now that Pianoteq 8 has been released, i think they probably will concentrate on releasing Organteq 2.
personally, i'm quite happy they have released a guitar, but that's me.

physical modelling synthesis is much more complicated than sampling a church organ or a piano etc.
it's bleeding edge technology.

just sayin'.
we just need a little bit of patience

Last edited by moontan (21-11-2022 22:22)

Key Fumbler wrote:

literally all of the pianos have been improved.

well, not quite...
from the release notes: "All contemporary acoustic pianos" have benefited from the improved model.
so all the historic instruments have basically been neglected, unless you know something other?
it would seem that Modartt has abandoned the KIViR collection, kremsegg, etc and an essential part of what was once-upon-a-time their core mission.
i have almost no interest in all the steinway-copy "modern" pianos, and even less in a modeled guitar, so i will not be bothering with version 8.

Last edited by francine (22-11-2022 09:34)

FYI, both KIViR and Kremsegg collection were updated in 2021.

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

FYI, both KIViR and Kremsegg collection were updated in 2021.

true enough (and a lovely update it was), but that was obviously well over a year ago now under version 7...
i suppose what i should have written was: "all the historic instruments have basically been neglected under version 8 as released"...
all of which is to say that i earnestly hope the historic instruments will continue to get love in the future and that their roster will be expanded!  there are sooo many 18th & 19th century instruments that well-warrant inclusion and which are awaiting your attentions...! 

francine wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:

literally all of the pianos have been improved.

well, not quite...
from the release notes: "All contemporary acoustic pianos" have benefited from the improved model.
so all the historic instruments have basically been neglected, unless you know something other?
it would seem that Modartt has abandoned the KIViR collection, kremsegg, etc and an essential part of what was once-upon-a-time their core mission.
i have almost no interest in all the steinway-copy "modern" pianos, and even less in a modeled guitar, so i will not be bothering with version 8.

KIViR has not been abandoned, they created 3D models for those too; Also we now have mono out to stereo effects for the electric pianos improving all of those.

KIViR hasn't been revoiced in this update - yet.  As you can see from the last reply it but has been in 2021. I imagine they will be further tweeks in version 8 eventually.

Hopefully I didn't give the wrong impression, I must admit that every single one of the pianos that I've bought has benefited from this update in one way or another.  I haven't bought any of the historic piano packs, I appreciate they are are important to you. All of the instruments have been visually rendered though.  Cosmetics may be a small thing but it may help new customers come to Pianoteq.

"All contemporary acoustic pianos, the Vintage Reeds electric piano and the Concert Harp have been revoiced."

So I bought v8 in the end. It seems I misread the prices and thought an upgrade would cost me 209 EUR, when it was 29.
Of course I'm supporting Modartt, what do you think?

To simulate the sound of a classical guitar well on a keyboard instrument (not only on Pianoteq, but on any other instrument), you need to know how to play classical guitar.
Pretending to play a piano/keyboard style guitar will always sound unnatural, artificial.

rumburak wrote:

To simulate the sound of a classical guitar well on a keyboard instrument (not only on Pianoteq, but on any other instrument), you need to know how to play classical guitar.
Pretending to play a piano/keyboard style guitar will always sound unnatural, artificial.

This is so true. I've seen a few demos of piano players playing piano pieces with this guitar and it sounds so weird.

Anyway, I just wanted to add my appreciation for this guitar model. I'm an injured former guitar and piano player, so I was extremely excited to see this release. Physically  modeled instruments have been a game changing experience for my engagement with music since I can't play any longer. I absolutely love the acoustic and electric pianoteq pianos, and am really excited about this release because I now have a reason to write for a classical guitar again!

I just started getting into it and there are definitely some oddities in the model and GUI that are not idiosyncratic to guitar playing. That makes sense considering pianoteq clientele to a certain extent, but will probably make for some wierd sounding pieces.

I would encourage Modartt to emulate ModoBass that is designed for guitar players and has functions/articulations idiosyncratic to that instrument.

Piet De Ridder wrote:

Using another parameter, the Plucking Point, allows you to simulate playing closer to or further away from the bridge. Playing closer to the bridge on a real guitar, and on this Pianoteq guitar (lower the Plucking Point), produces a thinner, more pointed sound while moving away from the bridge (raise the Plucking Point) gives a fuller, rounder tone.

_

Where is this "plucking point" feature? I can't seem to locate it.

jacobspauly wrote:

I'm an injured former guitar and piano player, so I was extremely excited to see this release. Physically  modeled instruments have been a game changing experience for my engagement with music since I can't play any longer. I absolutely love the acoustic and electric pianoteq pianos, and am really excited about this release because I now have a reason to write for a classical guitar again!

I just started getting into it and there are definitely some oddities in the model and GUI that are not idiosyncratic to guitar playing. That makes sense considering pianoteq clientele to a certain extent, but will probably make for some wierd sounding pieces.

I would encourage Modartt to emulate ModoBass that is designed for guitar players and has functions/articulations idiosyncratic to that instrument.

you might be interested in ample sound's luthier classical guitar (sampled, not modelled). their current sale ends very soon but they have sales a few times a year. plenty of demos on their site and on YouTube. no trial version but apart from that, like modartt, I've found them to be a good company to deal with

Last edited by jacko (30-12-2022 05:10)

jacobspauly wrote:

Where is this "plucking point" feature? I can't seem to locate it.

Hi jacobspauly,

After a bit of rummaging around on the Classical Guitar module, I discovered that the "plucking point" feature is a slider at the bottom of the central Voicing Panel, which is hidden behind the graphic of the classical guitar.

This sent me back to actually reading Section 5.3. Guitar mode in the Pianoteq manual. Of course, being an old IT infrastructure specialist, one only reads the manual for an application, or for a physical system, as an option of last resort. However, it did explain what all those orange notes, to the left and right of the playable keyboard, actually do.

For instance, the orange bass D key allows you to toggle between playing the guitar with all of your fingers or with only your thumb. However, to activate this function you have to right-click on the orange triangle to the right of the Casual-Pro slider, go to Keyswitches, and then select Thumb. The key toggle is then activated and does make quite a difference in the timbre of the music you are playing, when the bass D is pressed.

Request to Pianoteq developers It is difficult to tell visually, whether or not you have toggled your thumb On or Off. Unfortunately, moving the cursor over the note doesn't give any indication as to the status of the toggle. Would it be possible, in a future release, to change the colour of the key to indicate that the toggle has been activated. This could apply to the status of all the keyswitches. It might look slightly strange, but then again so do the orange keys, but it would allow one to tell at a glance what one had toggled on or left off.

Note to Self --- six hours later Working with the Classical Guitar module this evening. with low ambient lighting, rather than during the afternoon, with bright daylight. I noticed that when the bass D keyswitch is activated it does change colour from a muted orange to a much redder orange colour. This applies to the other activated keyswitch notes as well. I had not registered this colour change when I was experimenting with the settings earlier, and I don't believe that I have  altered any other settings in order to activate this. It would seem that my appreciation of the colour change on my monitor is dependent on the ambient or low lighting levels I am working with. Interesting

If you look to the right of the Adv button, on the right hand side of the strings, you will see an ochre dash "-". If you click on the dash it will take you to the "Vibrato (pitch variation)" controls for the guitar, which are part of the "Note Effects" panel. The dash is a short cut to this panel, once you have realised what it actually does. There are all sorts of useful and interesting magic buttons on this module, but one, or at least I, needs to have the application on high magnification to see where they all are. It is a problem associated with my ageing eyesight and not with the User Interface.

jacobspauly wrote:

This is so true. I've seen a few demos of piano players playing piano pieces with this guitar and it sounds so weird.

I had initially tried playing some of the Renaissance/Early Baroque Midi files that I have on the Classical Guitar module, but they sounded not only weird, but ridiculously dreadful. As I don't play the guitar, but I wanted some reasonable MIDI examples to experiment with, I followed up on a suggestion by René-Damen about the "fado" style and came across the following interesting resource on the Web.

https://www.guitares.org/p_eng_t.html

which contains the guitar music of Marc Lamberg of the Quatuor de guitares de Waterloo. His music, apart from being both pleasant and relaxing, is available as MIDI files and so one can, therefore, experiment with the Pianoteq Classical Guitar settings, whilst "playing" the guitar music.

It does mean that you can actually start to produce something, which actually sounds like a classical guitar, being played by someone who is trained in the instrument.

Thank you for your question, which has meant that I have spent a grey, damp afternoon with my head buried productively under the bonnet of the Classical Guitar module. I now know more than I did a few hours ago, which is a good thing.

Michael

Last edited by mprimrose (30-12-2022 11:53)
Pianoteq 8 Studio plus all Instrument packs; Organteq 2; Debian; Reaper; Carla

Is there a High Contrast option for the User interface of the Pianoteq Classical Guitar module?

The subtle variations on the orange/ochre palette utilised in the Classical Guitar module make it extremely difficult to distinguish some of the text eg Condition or the "dash" shortcut. This seems to be especially problematic if you are using low levels of magnification so that you can fit the entire application window onto your monitor. It is also difficult, under certain lighting conditions, to register whether or not a kewyswitch has been activated.

This may be a function of my ageing eyesight, but I would have thought that it is overall an accessibility issue.

Michael

Pianoteq 8 Studio plus all Instrument packs; Organteq 2; Debian; Reaper; Carla

What an odd posting.

If someone doesn't like or need the guitar pack, they only have to NOT BUY IT

The world is full of products I may not be interested in, but I don't make the effort to complain that someone has created them, for others

I spend no energy trying to tell others how they should run their business, if I were running it.

This is the first stab at a Guitar, and like PTQ 1.0+, will only get better. And there is of course the issue of knowing how to play a Guitar, on a keyboard.

The demos are very nice sounding. https://www.modartt.com/guitar

If I can't get those results, I suspect that would be more down to me having no clue, than as to the product itself