Topic: Feature request. More mics

I was watching a video about micing and recording a piano and I'd like Pianoteq to have the option for 10 microphones.

Re: Feature request. More mics

Hmm, I suspect that 5 mics will be plenty for most users, but it'll be interesting to see what other people say.

What I'd really like to see is a wider range of mic presets (such as XY Close, ORTF Distant, etc.), set up for optimum effect according to instrument. I've found that the default mic presets don't sound well with all the instruments. Sure, I can move them to an OK-ish position, but I'm not expert enough to make the fine adjustments for a really well balanced sound.

Unlimited mics would be awesome for me (in number as well as in type) but I am afraid some likely Phase Correlation issues would bring any implementation to the ground. However the software has been slowly improving on that aspect as well so who knows?

Last edited by Chopin87 (26-08-2022 15:09)
"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

Extra complexity potentially unwanted by the average user.
Perhaps that should be an exclusively Pro feature?
It might give customers an extra incentive to go Pro.
There's quite a lot already in Standard. Probably a feature for hardcore Pro fans.

I am on Standard FWIW.  I'm not against this concept, I'm just considering the right product/customer for it.

As a workaround for now how about trying copying the exact same preset in layering, but changing the microphone type and positions in the second instance.

Key Fumbler wrote:

As a workaround for now how about trying copying the exact same preset in layering, but changing the microphone type and positions in the second instance.

That would be a clever workaround.

Lanny

DonSmith wrote:

I was watching a video about micing and recording a piano and I'd like Pianoteq to have the option for 10 microphones.

I agree, five microphones can be too limiting in some situations. As an example without having to resorting to using layers etc...

A decca tree (3 mics)
Stereo mid side (2 mics)
Close stereo (2 mics)
Boundary / gallery mics 2
Mono centre close mic  (1)

Also It would be great to be able to have the option of Level & Delay compensation for individual mics.
For distant microphones I feel that the limit of +6db needs to be doubled (if no compensation is used). I don't generally like the sound of using the compensation feature tbh.

I think what would also be beneficial would be to have an parametric eq on each microphone channel.
It would also be great to have some edition microphone modals to choose from.

As suggested maybe this is just a Pro feature etc.

I'm sorry to disagree, but I only have 2 ears, so 2 mics are enough. ;-)
Joking aside, I've never, ever used more than 2 mics for the dozens of piano recordings I've made.
As always, this is just my opinion, but more than 2 mics = inevitable phase problems.

Multiplicity of microphones is best suited when there is a corresponding number of outputs/monitors. In this way, microphones are strategically positioned in different coordinates for speakers that emit sound in the same position in a real environment. However, for an audio output with only two channels, the use of ten microphones would result in unavoidable wave cancellations and knots.

Respeito, Esforço e Sabedoria