Topic: Sustain pedal

I tried the demo, why Organteq doesn't response to sustain pedal?

P.S
I'm not an organ player.

Re: Sustain pedal

hag01 wrote:

I tried the demo, why Organteq doesn't response to sustain pedal?

P.S
I'm not an organ player.

Hello hag01, and welcome to this forum.

There is no sustain pedal. You'll have to acclimatise yourself to playing with your two hands ( maybe on separate boards later). Instead of the sustain pedal, you can use a swell pedal.
With piano you know piano have a hammer hitting a string. In an organ is the opening and then closing of a valve that pumps air into a pipe. There is no decay at all until you release the key.
Well, that’s what I know….

P.S.  I'm not an organist, just an amateur enjoying playing Organteq very much 

Best wishes,

Stig

Pianoteqenthusiast, Organteqenthusiast, Harpteqenthusiast, Harpsichordteqenthusiast, CP-80teqenthusiast and experimenter

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (19-05-2022 12:48)

Organs don't have sustain pedals. Instead they have a whole pedalboard, some expression/crescendo pedals (shoes), and assorted preset buttons (toe studs) for your feet to deal with. They also have stops to extend their range beyond the 88 keys on a piano. Using both hands and feet make it possible to play the full range of the instrument without needing a sustain pedal to allow your hands to jump around (trying to get all of the notes).

The beauty (and curse) of organs is that a note doesn't decay while it is being held. It continues sounding (at full volume) until it is released. A sustain pedal on an organ (functional similar to a piano's) would continue to add any newly played notes to the cacophony until the pedal is released. Any repeated notes (in the melody or harmonies) wouldn't sound (they would already be sounding). For example, a trill on the piano still sounds like a trill even with the sustain pedal applied. On an organ it would sound like a second chord that wasn't played with the notes together.

My suggestion is for you to try out some manuals-only organ music. It's not going to be as flashy as the music you're probably used to playing on the piano, but playing independent melody and counter-melody lines and having the chord progression morph along without any breaks or gaps sounds so cool. Generally, the flashier organ music requires both feet on the pedalboard. In my opinion, leaning the pedals is worth it.

Part of the confusion is likely due to the fact that Hauptwerk does support a traditional piano sustain pedal by default--despite it not emulating a real-world organ functionality.  Perhaps in future Organteq will support the same functionality, just as Pianoteq supports physically impossible piano builds.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2xHiPcCsm29R12HX4eXd4J
Pianoteq Pro & Organteq 2
Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

Count me in as requesting sustain pedal implementation as an option (maybe not enabled by default). Here's my reasoning: I'm using Organteq as a stopgap measure while our church organ is being repaired. It is being played from a single 88-key keyboard. There are time when there are long pedal tones lasting as many as 16 bars. I would like to have an option to create a setup in MainStage where I could assign a layer for just those few notes to "listen" to the sustain pedal while the rest of the keyboard does not. A very practical way to solve a problem. Without this functionality my solution is to have a page turner (luxury) who will also hold down the long pedal tones!

KurtCowling wrote:

Count me in as requesting sustain pedal implementation as an option (maybe not enabled by default). Here's my reasoning: I'm using Organteq as a stopgap measure while our church organ is being repaired. It is being played from a single 88-key keyboard. There are time when there are long pedal tones lasting as many as 16 bars. I would like to have an option to create a setup in MainStage where I could assign a layer for just those few notes to "listen" to the sustain pedal while the rest of the keyboard does not. A very practical way to solve a problem. Without this functionality my solution is to have a page turner (luxury) who will also hold down the long pedal tones!

Perhaps using the Sostenuto Pedal would be a better solution for this... it lifts the dampers from only the strings whose keys are being held down at the moment it is pressed. No other notes are 'sustained.'

DEZ wrote:

[Perhaps using the Sostenuto Pedal would be a better solution for this... it lifts the dampers from only the strings whose keys are being held down at the moment it is pressed. No other notes are 'sustained.'

Yes, I think you are right. Doesn't require opening Organteq up in MainStage to create layers with different settings. Thanks!

KurtCowling wrote:
DEZ wrote:

[Perhaps using the Sostenuto Pedal would be a better solution for this... it lifts the dampers from only the strings whose keys are being held down at the moment it is pressed. No other notes are 'sustained.'

Yes, I think you are right. Doesn't require opening Organteq up in MainStage to create layers with different settings. Thanks!

Except I realize now that every spot where the long pedal tone starts other notes are sounding that should not sustain. Sostenuto is great, but won’t work in all situations. I would need to set up a split in MainStage. Well, it’s all hypothetical at this point anyway. Thanks for helping me think through the issue!

KurtCowling wrote:

Except I realize now that every spot where the long pedal tone starts other notes are sounding that should not sustain. Sostenuto is great, but won’t work in all situations. I would need to set up a split in MainStage. Well, it’s all hypothetical at this point anyway. Thanks for helping me think through the issue!

Hi, I presume you’ve already set zones on the 88-note keyboard that transmit on different channels when ‘talking’ to Organteq for the different manuals? Just make sure that sostenuto or sustain is transmitted on the same channel only as the pedalboard responds to.

DEZ wrote:

Hi, I presume you’ve already set zones on the 88-note keyboard that transmit on different channels when ‘talking’ to Organteq for the different manuals? Just make sure that sostenuto or sustain is transmitted on the same channel only as the pedalboard responds to.

That’s what I would set up in MainStage, just because it’s an easier  interface. The piece in question was performed last night and I was the page turner and “left foot”. I just put Organteq into the split mode and the keyboard transmitted on one MIDI channel.

For those who use Bitwig, someone just made a wonderfull grid preset. It holds the notes that are pressed while you send a cc66 (sostenuto), letting you to free your hands to play the next.
You can find it in the Bitwig Discord server ("sostenuto for everything " in the "your preset" folder).
Really great for foot bourdon.

KurtCowling wrote:

Is it possible to add some note on/off toggle buttons to cater those notes instead of using a sustain pedal. it can sound as long as you want until you toggle again.

I discovered a free VST3 plug-in which enables a sustain pedal in Organteq VST version.

SustainPedalVST, which can be downloaded from https://github.com/hamlen/SustainPedalVST  removes explicit pedal events from a MIDI stream by instead delaying note-off events until the pedal is released.

To use it in your DAW or VST host:

1.  Download SustainPedalVST.vst3 and put it in your VST3 directory.   The default vst3 directory in Windows is c:\program files\common files\vst3 .  Have a look or download its readme file.

2.  Start your DAW, create an FX track for SustainPedalVST.

3. Create a MIDI track, assign input to your keyboard, output to SustainPedalVST.

4.  Create an instrument track for Organteq.  Assign midi input to SustainPedalVST.

Works like a charm for the Organteq vst version.

Sadly doesn't seem to be a Mac Version

rschmid wrote:

I discovered a free VST3 plug-in which enables a sustain pedal in Organteq VST version.

SustainPedalVST, which can be downloaded from https://github.com/hamlen/SustainPedalVST  removes explicit pedal events from a MIDI stream by instead delaying note-off events until the pedal is released.

To use it in your DAW or VST host:

1.  Download SustainPedalVST.vst3 and put it in your VST3 directory.   The default vst3 directory in Windows is c:\program files\common files\vst3 .  Have a look or download its readme file.

2.  Start your DAW, create an FX track for SustainPedalVST.

3. Create a MIDI track, assign input to your keyboard, output to SustainPedalVST.

4.  Create an instrument track for Organteq.  Assign midi input to SustainPedalVST.

Works like a charm for the Organteq vst version.