Topic: Pianoteq video contest 2021 - the winning entries

https://www.modartt.com/images/news/contest-winners-2021-md.jpg

Hi everyone,

The 2021 Pianoteq Video Contest was our 10th and most successful so far with as many as 76 entries! With so many amazing videos, it was indeed a tough challenge for the jury to select the finalists. We are grateful to all who participated, and of course to the jury members and to everyone who watched and voted.

The winning entries:

1.   Snowflakes
      by Andrei Demidenko
      400 € value coupon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP5s1oDpueQ

2.   Pianoteq Rubinstein
      by UrtextMIDI
      300 € value coupon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y4k4pd9eho

3.   Jammin' Away
      by Claud Gyuris
      200 € value coupon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-L_qW74eoc

All value coupons will be sent within a few days.

The complete results and all the entries are available here.

Thank you all!

Re: Pianoteq video contest 2021 - the winning entries

Good show, all!

UrtextMIDI, please tell us more details about how the Rubenstein keystrike information was derived and processed for input into Pianoteq - the concept is fascinating, suggesting that all kinds of lower quality recordings from the past can be 'reprocessed.  It's almost as if you are deriving 'player reels' even if the artist didn't play a player piano at the time of the recording.

- David

Warmest Congratulations to the winners and to all participants for interesting music and a wonderful range of ideas. I would like to say that everyone in this competition is a winner, because every music piece has beauty but not everyone can hear it because we hear different. Every contestpiece is unique, a highly creative work.

And just come out here next year again and give it your all, as I’m doing every year. Don’t be discouraged for not making it to the finals. Not being a finalist doesn’t mean never enjoying playing Pianoteq/Organteq and never making other people enjoying listening to your music. I have learned this all these years in the forum, and I’m paying it forward by telling these words. Keep up the good work!

And a big Thank you to Niclas and everyone at Modartt for the competition.
And thanks to everyone who listened to my ”Simply beautiful”.

And many thanks to the judges, who had an impossible task but still solved it.  I think I would never be able to judge fairly/right so many highly creative entries and choose 10 entries, with so many aspects which one  probably must have when judging ( originality of the composition and/or the originality of the sound and/or the quality of the performance, with no specific priority between them……..and…and…..) Anyway, I welcome your opinions as always. Thank you judges.

See you in next year’s contest again (my tenth contest, 10th) 
Best wishes,

Stig

Wow, what a fantastic line-up! Congratulations and thanks to the winners and everyone else who took part. As Stig says, voting was really, really tough this year, even with the shortlist of 10, but hey - this time I managed to vote for one of the winners! (I won't say which one - but I enjoyed all of the top 10 in some way and could only vote for 3).

A fine opportunity for a first posting. Congratulations to all the participants. I listened to all of them and liked them all. All are kind of winners. The contest was part of the reason, that finally mad me ditch the generous demo mode and become part of pianoteq - got the full package...

I am particularly into historic pianos, not available or even playable anywhere - and sort of piano-roll reconstructions. Therefore UrtextMIDI, please let us know more about the background. Do not tell us your secrets, just enlighten us a bit please.

Last edited by axantas (01-12-2021 17:03)

A great big well done to the winners and participants of this year's Pianoteq video competition. Congratulations.

Warmest regards,

Chris

Dear friends !

It was a great honor and pleasure to participate in this video contest with unexpected prize at the end. Thank you for high appreciation and support !

My friend and "brother in sound" Vadim (@vadium here in the forum) has also participated in the contest and it was him who actually has told me about it - thanks to him ! He is very talented musician, composer and much more  - will be waiting for him to surprise all of us next year !

My journey with Pianoteq has started a few years back, when I have completed my first zynthian (www.zynthian.org). An opportunity of having portable version of Pianoteq in your pocket for live concerts or just something creative was too tempting. When I've got the Standard license I was not impressed at first, but lately after tweaking the setting - wow ! Specially when you can combine the piano (or e-piano) preset from Pianoteq with some other pads or strings. So, zynthian immediately replaced all the keyboards and gears with Pianoteq inside.

Being not just an educated pianist - I bow to all excellent teachers and professors who have invested their time and patience in me, so lifelong love with piano became inevitable - I am also a professional piano technician (currently employed by Yamaha Music Russia) and my true dream is to take good grand piano action (properly regulate it, restore if needed), install midi strip in it and to make it in almost portable Pianoteq perfection.

Will be happy to share when some new music or other Pianoteq related project will be completed from my side !

Pleasure to be here among you !

Last edited by Andrei Demidenko (01-12-2021 18:52)

Hello my dear friends,

I would like to first of all congratulate and applaud every single participant of this year's Pianoteq Video Contest.
Also, a big thank you and appreciation to Modartt Pianoteq for giving me this amazing and special opportunity!

I am overwhelmed and excited and also humbled to be awarded the third prize. This is very inspiring and encouraging to me. Very pleased to have brought a small contribution as an 'ambassador' of this unique and magical Piano Library which I have enjoyed playing and recording for over a year now. I am simply honoured to be part of the Pianoteq family and thank you so much for your kindness and support.

Best Regards and Happy Holidays!

Last edited by ClaudGyuris (01-12-2021 19:48)

I really wanted to attend this event. But I'm glad that there is an opportunity to at least watch his recording.

dklein wrote:

Good show, all!

UrtextMIDI, please tell us more details about how the Rubenstein keystrike information was derived and processed for input into Pianoteq - the concept is fascinating, suggesting that all kinds of lower quality recordings from the past can be 'reprocessed.  It's almost as if you are deriving 'player reels' even if the artist didn't play a player piano at the time of the recording.

This concept is not new at all, that doesn't diminish this particular piece — huge work

Andrei Demidenko wrote:
dklein wrote:

Good show, all!

This concept is not new at all, that doesn't diminish this particular piece — huge work

First, my congratulations to you: glad you arrrived first since you were my favorite :-) among the nominated (I admit I did not listen to all entries, so I am comparing you only to the ones who have been nominated).

Second, the concept of generating a MIDI file from audio may not be new, but there is so much detail in a performance! Every attempt (besides this one) which I've heard to do that conversion is sloppy to say the least! How can all of that be transformed "back" from sound to MIDI? Even considering only note number, the timing of each note and the velocity is a huge amount of information to recover correctly. I mean, if this performance as claimed is really "the original restored", I think it's legit to ask for more details since it's a winning entry. I want to know if this is this really "the original restored" and not "a different performance by a different performer time-synched with the video". I mean, even the latter would be noticeable and very worthy (and perhaps a winning entry), but it's a totally different kind of work, no?

Congratulations to all.

A fine group of Pianoteq masters made a wonderful showing in this year's Pianoteq Competition, from the deserved winning entrants and on to everyone participating.

All should be very proud of their most excellent efforts.

@Andrei Demidenko

Such wonderful prowess, much enjoyed! Masterful - so thrilled to witness this and very glad to have the pleasure of your company on this forum.

@UrtextMIDI

Your entry certainly shows a mavellous way to use Pianoteq. I love how current generations might be able to hear more modern sounding reproductions of prior performances. It could take even an expert pianist a while to realise "Hang on, that's not the original recording... what's happening here?" Entertaining and quite stunning beyond, honestly.

@Claud Gyuris

Always enjoyable to relax while someone with all the cool chops makes a scene complete - good to see a current slam on the era you're exploring there, along with standout authentic instrumentation and those early synth sounds. Wonderful.

@PianoteqEnthusiast

I think with your next year entry, win or lose, a 10 year trophy would be wonderful (lobby lobby lobby). I took much delight in your entry - from the artful composition, the audio and more - an absolute champion and a gentleman you are.

I feel likewise with all the others on this fine forum - good to enjoy this snippet of time with you all.

Just to say an extra special thank you to for much enjoyment to the others in the top 10..

4. Ceej - (So intriguing as a composition and as a mix - nice also seeing Studio One)
5. tabita - (I've seen your excellent videos on YT before the comp - greatly loved your entry!)
6. Marc Boulé - (Sweet modern composing - very interesting seeing your approach)
7. SingingChris - (Well done - a fine modern standard indiviually painted to high level)
8. mitsubamushi - (Again, such a complex wonder of intersecting sounds and rhythms)
9. Vadium - (Breathtaking result - fresh, acoustic, charming and sweet as honey)
10. sven karma - (Wonderfully original composition, sounds and visually - highly affecting)

Each of your entries were not only a great example of using Pianoteq, but you each made me feel wonder and joy, not just for me, but for the world of music and certainly more generally too

And to each other entrant, you really are so very special in my heart! - I do hope to see you again next year - as you sincerely made this year a better one - thank you each for sharing your wonderful talents and I wish the world for you all.

To judges and Modartt folks I send my warmest regards and many thanks. You make each year at this time a genuinely heartwarming time for us all.

Another year is passing and I'm looking forward keenly to what the next year holds for the competition.

My very best wishes to everyone.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Many thanks to Modartt for hosting the competition. What an oasis of eclectic creativity on this site! Sincere thanks to those who honored me with their nominations. For those who requested a reply earlier, I didn’t post while the competition was in progress, but now, even with the unavoidable risk of appearing self-indulgent, I will outline a few thoughts.
    I cannot avoid mentioning two names which have meant a great deal to me over a long period of time and I do so in the spirit of immense gratitude for their contributions to the art that we all hold dear.
    The first is Ikutaro Kakehashi, the founder of the Roland Corporation with a long list of brilliant innovations in electronic musical instruments. We met on many occasions and I became a staunch supporter of his mission to enable the MIDI protocol. An immense amount of water has passed beneath the bridge he helped build and to this day I work with a profound sense of loyalty to both the man and his achievements.
   I spent a number of years in various capacities with the Steinway & Sons piano company and that nurtured my passion for all things piano and those who performed with them. I knew many of these performers and when they left this world, I felt a silence had descended and I wondered what could be done to have them around again.
    Technically, I start with a Melodyne transcription. At the risk of sounding pompous, from there the task is eerily similar to an art restoration. The original performance is there, but obscured under layers of yellowed varnish and other anomalies. I’ve written a number of utilities, such as a MIDI notch filter to examine a specific range of velocities, and a digitized score template which I overlay on the Melodyne file, thereby eliminating much superfluous data. Of course often details are given by the camera itself, such as the movements of the dampers.
   The second name I’m obliged to mention is Glenn Gould. I purposely moved to Toronto to breathe the same air as Gould and Oscar Peterson, the latter with whom I became good friends. Gould postulated that in the future, classical artists would release what he called “kits” with their performances, allowing the end user to partake in the creative process, altering the tempo, cutting and pasting and modifying the piano’s tone. I can assure the principals at Modartt that they are exactly what Gould had in mind!
    In the spirit of Gould’s vision, several have written along those lines. They suggest it would be advantageous to have a Pianoteq video/MIDI library so they could set Rubinstein (or Sviatoslav Richter, Emil Gilels or Michelangeli) to work on different pianos of their design and choosing.
    Those names are profound masters of the keyboard and it is to Modartt’s enormous credit that their instruments can well handle whatever those geniuses throw at them!
UrtextMIDI

congratulations to the winners! 

i just wanted to point out that it's not necessary to use expensive software to product midi files from solo piano recordings to feed into pianoteq.  this can already be done with the free software onsets and frames:

https://magenta.tensorflow.org/onsets-frames

this is a fantastic tool for learning what performers are doing.  i've made a bunch of videos of this on youtube for jazz performances.  the latest is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78vvN_Wn5Xk

budo wrote:

congratulations to the winners! 

i just wanted to point out that it's not necessary to use expensive software to product midi files from solo piano recordings to feed into pianoteq.  this can already be done with the free software onsets and frames:

this is a fantastic tool for learning what performers are doing.  i've made a bunch of videos of this on youtube for jazz performances.  the latest is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78vvN_Wn5Xk

Wow!  Fantastic budo. It sounds just like Keith Jarret would be sitting and playing Pianoteq. I was listening to the video in parallel with your playing 
I've listened to Keith’s video several times recently and his playing inspired me to make my own slow version 26.11 (without any kind of software). Petrof Mistral Dreamy.

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...Boy%20.mp3

Thanks budo for pointing out this free software Onsets and Frames!

Best wishes,

Stig

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (02-12-2021 23:28)

@URTextMIDI,

Thanks for the note.  You are in this even deeper than I suspected.  And getting to know all of these folks, especially Oscar Peterson, that's great!  Just watched his 1974 London solo with trio recording, as commented upon by Rick Beato - fantastic!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj93v9j2A4A

- David

Congratulations to the winners too

budo wrote:

Very impressive!
I just converted a few Glenn Gould recordings of the well tempered clavier with the online version and I find the timing of the midi files almost perfect!
Dynamic and articulation do not quite come through but this produces already very good results.
Thanks to budo for pointing to this tool

Edit
I just notice that the tool has some difficulty with a very fast tempo.
For example the tool misses a lot of notes with the Prelude number 3 which Gould played quite fast.

Last edited by teacue (03-12-2021 13:55)

teacue wrote:

Congratulations to the winners too

Very impressive!
I just converted a few Glenn Gould recordings of the well tempered clavier with the online version and I find the timing of the midi files almost perfect!
Dynamic and articulation do not quite come through but this produces already very good results.
Thanks to budo for pointing to this tool

Edit
I just notice that the tool has some difficulty with a very fast tempo.
For example the tool misses a lot of notes with the Prelude number 3 which Gould played quite fast.

yes, it can have some glitches, especially if the recording quality is not great.  i'm also not sure if the online tool is as robust as the standalone program.  they could be throttling the memory and producing a substandard result.

it's also true that to make a really convincing "human" performance one would have to do some patient and skilled editing, which Urtext MIDI said was necessary for the contest entry.

one suggestion i have for the prelude 3 is to slow the recording down using audacity or ffmpeg.  then feed that into onsets and frames to see what happens.  the midifile can always be adjusted afterwards to recover the tempo.

by the way, the next problem in the chain MIDI -> useful sheet music is apparently still open.  i haven't found any useful results for that yet.

budo wrote:

yes, it can have some glitches, especially if the recording quality is not great.  i'm also not sure if the online tool is as robust as the standalone program.  they could be throttling the memory and producing a substandard result.

it's also true that to make a really convincing "human" performance one would have to do some patient and skilled editing, which Urtext MIDI said was necessary for the contest entry.

one suggestion i have for the prelude 3 is to slow the recording down using audacity or ffmpeg.  then feed that into onsets and frames to see what happens.  the midifile can always be adjusted afterwards to recover the tempo.

In order not to continue to be OT in this thread I opened a new one about this tool
https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=8999

Congrats to the winners!!

It indeed was my 10th participation, all with different approaches, instruments, controllers; many MPE.
once thing remains: great sounding Pianoteq!

@keymanpal - It's good to know you've entered 10 competitions

Just wish for you to know that your creativity is inspiring to me - very inventive, admirable - I hope you make it 11 entries next year - and wishing you the very best.

keymanpal wrote:

Congrats to the winners!!

It indeed was my 10th participation, all with different approaches, instruments, controllers; many MPE.
once thing remains: great sounding Pianoteq!

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors