Topic: Positiv Organ Settings

I searched the forum for answers to this question.  I would like to have a setup to simulate a single manual positiv to accompany late renaissance diminution pieces. Is there a way to setup Organteq like that.  Thank you.

Re: Positiv Organ Settings

Sure there is. Take any electronic keyboard with Midi output. Some are available for 100 € new, although you have to accept plastic keys with short stroke. I tried a Yamaha electronic piano.
Connect the keyboard to your PC or laptop, and install Organteq with the single keyboard option. You can add stops of your preference, and more importantly, you can adjust the tuning to baroque, as there are for instance Werkmeister etc. Please read the manual available on the website.

If you play in a room or church with sufficient proper reverb, I would suggest you use the church option and reduce the reverberation. A good stereo set, if not a headphone is preferred as output.

I hope this will help you.
Good luck
Alex

Analog Heyligers E1 organ, 13 stops, 2 manuals + pedal
December 2018 extension: third manual and midi
Software Organteq, GrandOrgue, Sweelinq

Thank you for your reply.  I do have already a nice keyboard which I use with Pianoteq.  I was hoping for a setting that had the stops of a typical positiv already selected.  I am not an organist and don't know about this.

In that case, please have a look at the file Positive1.fxp in the fxp database. It might take some time before it appears there, as action of Modartt is required.

I modified the church settings to come up with an approximation of a Positiv organ, to be played on the mid manual (Grand Orgue) using a single keyboard. I removed the stops on the pedal and other manuals to avoid accidents. Many Positiv organs only have four up to four and a half octaves around the central c on the piano. The tuning is left at a=440 Hz, but for old music you might prefer 415.

The Bourdon 8' (B8) is the foundation stop, to accompany soloist. Prestant 4'(P4) , Quinte 2 2/3' (Q22/3) and Doublette 2' (D2) can be added if stronger and richer sound is required for orchestras. Perhaps the B8, can be replaced by the louder Flute 8' (F8), and the P4 by the Flute 4' (F4). Combinations 1 up to 4 form a crescendo.

As far as I am aware, Organteq does not take the velocity when pressing a key into account. So touché is limited.

Different tunings are available though, for instance Midtone and Pythagorean. It is now set at Werkmeister. If you want to hear the difference with respect to Equal, strike a cord of fis minor.

I hope this serves you better.
Alex

Last edited by Alex_vD (08-12-2021 20:31)
Analog Heyligers E1 organ, 13 stops, 2 manuals + pedal
December 2018 extension: third manual and midi
Software Organteq, GrandOrgue, Sweelinq

Thank you so much!  That is exactly what I was hoping to find.  I think I will use mean-tone tuning for my purposes.

Alex,

I have just been playing some Thomas Campion pieces utilising your Positive1.fxp setting with the a=415 Hz. The sound is totally delightful and the timbre is very Elizabethan. This is a very impressive piece of work on your part and you have my thanks for it. This has open up a whole realm of Renaissance Early baroque music for me to play on Organteq.

Now I should try some of the early French Noels for organ and see how they sound; this being the Season.

Michael

Pianoteq 8 Studio plus all Instrument packs; Organteq 2; Debian; Reaper; Carla

Thank you Alex for your advice !