Topic: PNOscan sensors

Hello!

Does anyone here know what sensors are being used on PNOscan? Producer? Part number? Any specifics?

Thanks in advance!

Re: PNOscan sensors

It's been six years since I installed my PNOscan II.  I don't know if any of these photos will be of assistance to you, but here is a photo-album that I made while things were 'in process':  https://goo.gl/photos/mZ6UywoFz79DXAMr9

Also, while I can't get to the underside of the keys easily, here is a link to an image of the Sustain pedal board:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Zg3AXvfhnM6MQxo6

The LED laser is part D14, glowing red in the photo.  I presume that the key sensors use the same type of device, though perhaps not the exact same unit.  I cannot easily see identifiers on it - they may be on the underside of the laser.

- David

Nice photos. Good to see that there is a quite versatile configuration utility for it. Though I miss per key adjustment options.

Questions:

* Are there velocity gaps in the upper MIDI velocity region above 100? I wonder what scan frequency they are using.
* If you press two adjacent white or black keys with two fingers stuck together, can you somewhat reliably get the same MIDI velocity for both keys +/- 1?
* Does it output high res MIDI velocities (which would be beneficial to adjust curves in software)?
* What's the wear and tear on your acoustic with this setup? You probably have to regulate the keys/action from time to time even if playing silently.

Last edited by Gruust (21-11-2021 03:47)

Gruust wrote:

Hello!

Does anyone here know what sensors are being used on PNOscan? Producer? Part number? Any specifics?

Thanks in advance!

Are you considering building your own? If so, consider the CNY70 sensors as described at https://pianoclack.com/forum/d/107-cybr...ano-action and https://pianoclack.com/forum/d/163-buil...the-action and https://github.com/jkominek/piano-conversion and related

dv wrote:

Are you considering building your own? If so, consider the CNY70 sensors as described at https://pianoclack.com/forum/d/107-cybr...ano-action and https://pianoclack.com/forum/d/163-buil...the-action and https://github.com/jkominek/piano-conversion and related

Well it's a long-time consideration. I still don't know enough about the intrinsics and limits. The data sheet for the Vishay CNY70 doesn't contain time resolution information. I have also seen comments that it's not really suited to measure "distance", it's rather intended to be an on/off switch. It's also rather bulky and there seem to be way smaller alternatives with declared resolution capabilities around the 10 microseconds mark, though I doubt that's enough.

Gruust wrote:
dv wrote:

Well it's a long-time consideration. I still don't know enough about the intrinsics and limits. The data sheet for the Vishay CNY70 doesn't contain time resolution information. I have also seen comments that it's not really suited to measure "distance", it's rather intended to be an on/off switch. It's also rather bulky and there seem to be way smaller alternatives with declared resolution capabilities around the 10 microseconds mark, though I doubt that's enough.

Nice discussing this topic with you, Gruust.

Even if the CNY70 data sheet does not say anything about time resolution, both the Cybrid and the piano-conversion have been able to demonstrate that the time resolution is fast enough for playing. For distance, I am not sure what the commenters you saw said, but as far as I am concerned, if properly utilized it can be used to measure distance. Cybrid does so with a (double, IIRC) comparator. The piano-conversion does so with ADC's. So from an electronic point of view I think the CNY70 is at least more than adequate and perhaps even very good.
Regarding the size, I admit it is on the large size, even though I'd not call it "rather bulky" as you say. I wish it was a bit thinner and a bit smaller so that one had a bit more ease of assembling and aligning the parts, however it's not too big compared to the pitch of a regular sized keyboard (if you want to make keyboard sensors) or to the pitch of the hammers (if you want to make hammer or shank sensors). Now, if your interest is in a reduced size keyboard (see paskpiano.org if you don't know what I'm talking about) then the CNY is certainly too big.

Alternatively, there is the Everlight EAITRCA6 which is half or less in each horizontal direction (so you could cram four of them in the space of one CNY70) and 1/4 of the thickness. And its data sheet does mention the 10-20 microseconds mark of time resolution, so perhaps that's already what you have in mind? Or are you thinking of something else? Please let me know! FWIW, Jay also is interested in exploring such a sensor, see https://github.com/jkominek/piano-conversion/issues/44

Last, but very importantly, how can you doubt that 10 microseconds is not enough? Microseconds, not milliseconds! So the sensor is capable or responding to a change of position of the key 0.01 milliseconds after the key has moved. Given that all PTQ player are quite content with 2-3 milliseconds and many even with some slower response rate, I wonder if I am missing something in your reasoning. Do note that Cybrid has a sequential scan of the keypresses (and releases) but **does not** wait for the key press to complete. So in this design the time resolution is more about the frequency of the sequential scan than the time resolution of the sensor. Of course you could duplicate all the electronics for each key and this is (partially) what piano-conversion does, with one individual ADC channel per sensor (two channels per key, or 176 channels total), but at some point you'll have to serialize anyway, since MIDI is a serial, not parallel protocol. Well, in theory you could give each key its own sound generator, but at that point you'll lose things like sympathetic resonances, so I don't think that's what you have in mind. Please clarify.

Thanks!

Last edited by dv (21-11-2021 16:39)

dv wrote:

Last, but very importantly, how can you doubt that 10 microseconds is not enough?

I'm not thinking about latency here, but about precision. Even if you only use the old MIDI 1.0 standard with 127 velocity levels, try to calculate the time resolution requirements to being able to reliably differentiate between velocity 126 and 127. You will end up in the one digit microseconds area: assume delta t to be sub 1ms for the fastest strokes, then divide that by >100, and you are suddently in the microseconds region.

I think that's why devices like the Kawai VPC-1 use interrupts instead of the old scanning technique. My old Promega 3 (released 2001, Fatar TP/30) produces consistent velocity gaps of around 3-4 above 100, ie. a lot of those velocity values never occur.

Last edited by Gruust (21-11-2021 15:57)

Gruust wrote:

Nice photos. Good to see that there is a quite versatile configuration utility for it. Though I miss per key adjustment options.

I agree, quite nice photos and description. Thanks for sharing it @dklein!!

Gruust wrote:

* Are there velocity gaps in the upper MIDI velocity region above 100? I wonder what scan frequency they are using.
* If you press two adjacent white or black keys with two fingers stuck together, can you somewhat reliably get the same MIDI velocity for both keys +/- 1?

Are you the same person as jjYBdx4IL on github, who asked very similar question here: https://github.com/ekumanov/cybrid/issues/4 ? Feel free to ignore this question if you prefer to stay anonymous, I was just curious since it sounds an unlikely coincidence.

In my opinion, your suggested test is kind of moot. PNOScan might report reliably the same MIDI velocity, but the hammer velocities will hardly be exactly the same, and hence Cybrid or piano-conversion will not necessarily report the exact same MIDI velocity -- because of escapement and regulation. In fact 3-4 different piano technicians told me that on acoustic pianos only with the composite WNG action pianists can expect a "perfect" response from one note to the next. One of such technician (who actually was skeptic about WNG action and bought it in the first place only because the Renner one he wanted was not in stock at the time) has posted a few videos about it, including one in which separate pianists (much more advanced than I) explain this "feeling" better than I could, see the second part of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5OfbIw_9dI (go forward in the video to hear the pianists, the beginning is of interest only if you care about the action itself, which you might not)

Last edited by dv (21-11-2021 16:42)

Gruust wrote:
dv wrote:

Last, but very importantly, how can you doubt that 10 microseconds is not enough?

I'm not thinking about latency here, but about precision. Even if you only use the old MIDI 1.0 standard with 127 velocity levels, try to calculate the time resolution requirements to being able to reliably differentiate between velocity 126 and 127. You will end up in the one digit microseconds area: assume delta t to be sub 1ms for the fastest strokes, then divide that by >100, and you are suddently in the microseconds region.

I think that's why devices like the Kawai VPC-1 use interrupts instead of the old scanning technique. My old Promega 3 (released 2001, Fatar TP/30) produces consistent velocity gaps of around 3-4 above 100, ie. a lot of those velocity values never occur.

I see your point now, thanks.

Regarding my other email I doubt CyberGene will be interested in this test/discussion: he has repeatedly said that he thinks that the 127 velocity layers are more than enough and probably too many (he said so in context of high resolution MIDI velocity discussion). However he has the raw data of the sensed times and he might be willing to share those instead, from which we can infer this information.

I'd have to do a bit more research here, and I will, since it's a quite interesting point to consider. But a first "gut feeling" response is that the sensors being consistently late by a fixed amount (say 10us) compared to the movement of the keys does not immediately create those velocity gaps. Just hand-waving here, but if the sensors are consistently late by 10us on both start and end of the movement, you can still measure a 1us and potentially lower time difference, assuming the boards reading the sensor have such a time resolution. The discussion on https://github.com/ekumanov/cybrid/#readme indicates CyberGene has considered this issue, even though he is not specific there with the numbers (other than saying something like "microseconds are not enough, so I used this comparator which has nanosecond time resolution"). The discussion at https://github.com/jkominek/piano-conve.../DESIGN.md is not specific, however the ADC's operate in parallel and it's only matter of the microcontroller to be fast enough to read and process it in time.

I am still curious if you're interested in this for some DIY project you want to do, simply from a theoretical point of view, to purchase something available, or what. Again, not to mind your business, it's just that I'm curious as a scientist, feel free to ignore if you prefer to keep your privacy ;-)

dv wrote:

I am still curious if you're interested in this for some DIY project you want to do, simply from a theoretical point of view, to purchase something available, or what. Again, not to mind your business, it's just that I'm curious as a scientist, feel free to ignore if you prefer to keep your privacy ;-)

It's part curiosity, part trying to figure out what good options there are if my ordered MP11SE device shouldn't meet my expectations - because there wouldn't really be much of an existing alternative then. NV10 is way above my price range. Acoustics with PNOscan are probably above my price target, too, and their actions are probably just a service-heavy part that I wouldn't use beyond silent playing anyways (so why accept the wear and tear on it?). Grand Feel with optical sensors? Sounds like a very decent solution to me.

Another potential issue I could have with PNOscan is the way it's getting calibrated: AFAIK it calibrates top and bottom positions of each key. From that I infer that it guesses the sensors values for the relevant points in between, ie. between which values to measure dt etc. I'm sure that guess work will do just fine in most situations. However, I'm also thinking: why not just use a step motor to depress each key slowly and record somewhat more accurate position information? Optical solutions like the one in AvantGrands seem to avoid all of these issues by a precise fabrication of the light barrier dimensions and precise positioning on the hammer shanks - a precision that's probably not achievable with DIY. AFAIR they also use some sort of linear encoder to determine absolute key position. But I neither like the keys nor the price of the AvantGrands. And all of their tech is pretty much proprietary. You'd always be dependent on them. With PNOscan (or a DIY alternative) there is much more flexibility. Well, and I also like to tinker. Haha.

Last edited by Gruust (21-11-2021 19:03)

@Gruust,

1)  I don't know the scan velocity.  When I repeatedly strike keys rapidly, I see velocities registering as 102, 105, 110, 111, 113, 121, 125, 127...so I don't know if there are any regular velocity gaps.  I do know that I as a human on my particular piano am not capable of predictably 'stepping up' my velocity when I am close to the upper limit of recording keystrike velocities.

2)  Here is a Google photos album of three images with me hitting two adjacent keys with two similarly-lengthed fingers (middle and ring):  https://photos.app.goo.gl/pR47RrehHFyeMPBQA  I get similar values when hitting both with one finger, depending upon how my finger 'rolls' at the key junction.  Admittedly, I did not use a squared plunger simultaneously on both keys.

3)  I do not believe that PNOscan outputs high-res MIDI values.  I have PNOscan II.  They have a newer processor in PNOscan III, but I don't know the differences between version II and version III.

4)  The wear and tear on the acoustic piano is the same as it is without the PNOscan II, as it's still an acoustic piano, although I also installed the QRS Stop-Bar, which may change the hammer actuation wear and tear versus not having a Stop-Bar.  This way, I can play my acoustic piano, my silent piano sending MIDI information, or a hybrid with both the acoustic sounds and the MIDI-derived sounds simultaneously.  Note that since the PNOscan system is an optical sensor system, there's no inherent wear difference on the piano itself.  So when the felts pack down and the hinge points wear for each key actuation, they do that with or without the QRS PNOscan system.  One advantage of the PNOscan system is that you can just re-calibrate by hitting a button and going through all of the keys from top to bottom.

Also, there is a piece of not-well-documented or supported software called WinNessie, or PNOSCAN24.EXE, which lets you make a sorts of actuations adjustments, such as at what depth the keys initiate a hammer-throw (which is great for making the electronic and the acoustic 'hammer-throw' at the same point in the keystrike), at what height the keys have to come up to be able to re-trigger, etc.  There is also a way to handle aftertouch information, but I have not figured out how to reliably set that up.  Once, I accidentally reprogrammed the key-value mapping, so my octaves were all messed-up.  This function is in the software so that PNOscan can handle all sizes of keyboards, from 1 key to 88 keys plus.  The photos that I linked above were from one of the WinNessie graphical display screens.

- David

dklein wrote:

1)  I don't know the scan velocity.  When I repeatedly strike keys rapidly, I see velocities registering as 102, 105, 110, 111, 113, 121, 125, 127...so I don't know if there are any regular velocity gaps.

Doesn't look like it.

dklein wrote:

I do know that I as a human on my particular piano am not capable of predictably 'stepping up' my velocity when I am close to the upper limit of recording keystrike velocities.

I collected a few strokes in a MIDI0X or similar software, wrote the log to disk and parsed it. Wouldn't recommend trying to step up the values manually.

dklein wrote:

2)  Here is a Google photos album of three images with me hitting two adjacent keys with two similarly-lengthed fingers (middle and ring):  https://photos.app.goo.gl/pR47RrehHFyeMPBQA  I get similar values when hitting both with one finger, depending upon how my finger 'rolls' at the key junction.  Admittedly, I did not use a squared plunger simultaneously on both keys.

Thanks! On properly working keys on my almost 20 years old Promega 3 it's usually +/-1 difference. Problem is, some keys (or key pairs) are always off by like 8 or 12, and I seemingly can't fix it.

dklein wrote:

3)  I do not believe that PNOscan outputs high-res MIDI values.  I have PNOscan II.  They have a newer processor in PNOscan III, but I don't know the differences between version II and version III.

High res velocity data is transferred via CC#88. You should see corresponding control messages if it's active.

dklein wrote:

4)  The wear and tear on the acoustic piano is the same as it is without the PNOscan II, as it's still an acoustic piano,

That comment was not targeted at PNOscan, rather at using a digital piano action instead of an acoustic one. I assume the digital piano actions have been built in a more resilient way, generally, even if it's only because they are much simpler.

dklein wrote:

Also, there is a piece of not-well-documented or supported software called WinNessie

Yeah, they don't have it in their support section for download. And Google finds nothing relevant about it, really. Mysterious program. How do you get it? The parts listing also doesn't mention it.

dklein wrote:

, or PNOSCAN24.EXE, which lets you make a sorts of actuations adjustments,

Yeah, that tool looks really nice. So many options to screw around with the device.

dklein wrote:

such as at what depth the keys initiate a hammer-throw

Is it possible to make such adjustments per key?

dklein wrote:

Also, there is a piece of not-well-documented or supported software called WinNessie

Gruust wrote:

Yeah, they don't have it in their support section for download. And Google finds nothing relevant about it, really. Mysterious program. How do you get it? The parts listing also doesn't mention it.

dklein wrote:

, or PNOSCAN24.EXE, which lets you make a sorts of actuations adjustments,

Gruust wrote:

Yeah, that tool looks really nice. So many options to screw around with the device.

dklein wrote:

such as at what depth the keys initiate a hammer-throw

Gruust wrote:

Is it possible to make such adjustments per key?

I don't remember who got me WinNessie, but I have version 24.  I can pass it along if you wish.  And, Yes, adjustments can be made on a key-by-key basis.

Last edited by dklein (22-11-2021 02:12)
- David

and captures the slightest movement of each key, at 1,000x per second, per sensor, per each piano key. (https://reverb.com/item/6946214-qrs-pno...ing-to-usa)

1000 scans per second. That's PNOscan III. For 1900 bucks. For that money I could almost attach a separate processor to each single key. The software seems nice. But the hardware seems rather dated.

Gruust wrote:

1000 scans per second. That's PNOscan III. For 1900 bucks. For that money I could almost attach a separate processor to each single key. The software seems nice. But the hardware seems rather dated.

If that's 1000 scans of the actual key position per second (which it seems to be from what they say) then it should be entirely adequate.

This isn't like scanning switches or light gates where you're trying to measure the time taken to move between fixed positions. For that you would indeed want to be scanning the switches a lot faster, or using interrupts or other hardware methods to do the timing.

But if instead you're measuring the distance moved between fixed times then having those fixed times be 1 millisecond apart is fine: You're not trying to time anything by scanning any more, you've got highly accurate crystal generated milliseconds on your time axis, you just need to accurately know where the key is at each millisecond and maths will do the rest.

xooorx wrote:

But if instead you're measuring the distance moved between fixed times then having those fixed times be 1 millisecond apart is fine:

That's a valid point.Though I wouldn't entirely agree with "fine". If you assume a travel time of 0.3ms, which is a little cumbersome assumption because it comes from hammer travel time AFAIR, a basic time resolution of 1ms would mean washing out the measurement over a longer distance, implying that at high velocities the measurements cannot accurately reproduce the velocity at the precise, relevant point. Also, what makes you think that time resolution has no effect on "position" measurement? If you sum up intensity over the entire 1ms, you will end up with the aforementioned washing out/averaging out/built-in "anti-aliasing".

Gruust wrote:
xooorx wrote:

But if instead you're measuring the distance moved between fixed times then having those fixed times be 1 millisecond apart is fine:

That's a valid point.Though I wouldn't entirely agree with "fine". If you assume a travel time of 0.3ms, which is a little cumbersome assumption because it comes from hammer travel time AFAIR[...]

This assumption is off by an order of magnitude or more. Key travel time, top to bottom, ranges from tens of milliseconds (fff) to hundreds of milliseconds (ppp). That's far longer than the free flight time of the hammer and would give 20 distinct position measurements even for the fastest key strike.

(This paper shows key travel times ranging from around 20 to 250 milliseconds, while hammer free flight time ranges from "almost zero" to 20ms)

Also, what makes you think that time resolution has no effect on "position" measurement? If you sum up intensity over the entire 1ms, you will end up with the aforementioned washing out/averaging out/built-in "anti-aliasing".

I would think an (effectively) instantaneous A/D conversion of the position was taking place, every millisecond, on the millisecond.

xooorx wrote:

This assumption is off by an order of magnitude or more. Key travel time, top to bottom, ranges from tens of milliseconds (fff) to hundreds of milliseconds (ppp).

That would be a quite lenient way of measuring velocity. Usually you'd want the hammer (key) speed at a very specific point in space.

xooorx wrote:

I would think an (effectively) instantaneous A/D conversion of the position was taking place, every millisecond, on the millisecond.

That's quite optimistic. But if we knew the sensor IC, we could at least guess what that time window could be - assuming they are simply doing a momentary readout and nothing else. But even that would be an assumption. And why would they tell us about the low scan rate instead of the actual precision that's way better?

Last edited by Gruust (22-11-2021 18:17)

I remamber Modartt and PNOscan had an agreement times ago, about mutual sales discount for clients that had one of their products, like pianoteq users having discount to buy PNOscan, and PNOscan  users having discount to buy pianoteq. It's still up: https://www.modartt.com/buy

PNOscan manager once told me their sensor was expensive due the advanced software they had created to calibrate the response to fit the pianist taste with precision, and that would be main reason more than the circuit bar itself.

I wonder why no chinese company created a competitive affordable product yet, since the circuit sensor bar it's nothing some thing so advanced or difficult.

Last edited by Beto-Music (22-11-2021 19:10)

Beto-Music wrote:

I wonder why no chinese company created a competitive affordable product yet, since the circuit sensor bar it's nothing some thing so advanced or difficult.

Easy, because to be profitable you need to sell large volumes. How many of these they can expect to sell? Not enough.

China produces a lot of pianos per year. Just Pearl River alone reach 100.000 every year. If they create a line of acoustic pianos with MIDI sensor bar, and it counts for 10% of their pianos, it would worth the engineering. Plus the salles as a stand alone sensor for who already have a acoustic piano.

It could sell even more if they create a real piano action keyboard digital controller, by just combining the MIDI sensor bar with their woodworking skills/facilities.

dv wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

Easy, because to be profitable you need to sell large volumes. How many of these they can expect to sell? Not enough.

Beto-Music wrote:

It could sell even more if they create a real piano action keyboard digital controller, by just combining the MIDI sensor bar with their woodworking skills/facilities.

That's called the N1X or NV10 (and you can guess why they went down a completely different route, and didn't use PNOscan). I think you are heavily overestimating the sales numbers for such products. Are there any numbers out there for these products and PNOscan etc.? I would guess that stuff like AvantGrand and Novus probably primarily exist to improve their reputation. In the overall market I doubt that these products have much of a relevance. But that's just an educated guess based on the price differences. Also, they have to provide home service for these products. That requires a world-wide network of trusted partners. Very expensive.

Also look at the Lachnit MK23. Who would buy that? There is no guarantee that the producer will be able to send you replacement parts in even a year down the road (small producers go out of business all the time). And I guess there is no service network at all. So, if you are Yamaha, you have a HUGE advantage here (which is why they can still afford to put that subpar action into their AGs). Though, if you'd put small sensors into a portable device, the need for a service network would be reduced. But MP11SE and VPC-1 aren't exactly portable, and the keys in the VPC-1 aren't really that great either.

Last edited by Gruust (22-11-2021 22:31)

Gruust wrote:
xooorx wrote:

That's a valid point.Though I wouldn't entirely agree with "fine". If you assume a travel time of 0.3ms, which is a little cumbersome assumption because it comes from hammer travel time AFAIR, a basic time resolution of 1ms would mean washing out the measurement over a longer distance, implying that at high velocities the measurements cannot accurately reproduce the velocity at the precise, relevant point. Also, what makes you think that time resolution has no effect on "position" measurement? If you sum up intensity over the entire 1ms, you will end up with the aforementioned washing out/averaging out/built-in "anti-aliasing".

Gruust (and others),

There is a in depth discussion about this topic at https://pianoclack.com/forum/d/243-diy-piano-sensors and at https://pianoclack.com/forum/d/289-scan...-of-cybrid which you may want to follow.

Kawai CL35 (I think it is from 2008) scans the keyboard every 90 microseconds. The points of contact of the first and second sensor are approximately at 1/3 and 2/3 of the key travel. It gets the whole range of velocities.

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11