Topic: I made my own Steinway!

EDIT:

Updated my makeshift Steinway:

https://soundcloud.com/alkan23/set-of-excerpts-steinway

Compare to the timbre of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grmlaad...way%26Sons

I play the same piece in the preceding recording.

FXP: https://forum.modartt.com//file/4seoq3e6

Original post:

https://soundcloud.com/alkan23/set-of-excerpts

I used three pianos to make it that I thought made a perfectly balanced instrument in the end. I used the three pianos that I think do the best job of avoiding the excessive metallic twang that a lot of pianoteq presets seem to have. A good piano as far as I can tell will have a crisp, resonant, wooden sound, no matter the rest of the characteristics (whether it's brighter or softer, sweeter or mellower, cooler or warmer, "crisp and wooden" are timbre characteristics that I find closer to universal for a good "classical sound" in a piano).

What's funny is, to me, it sounds more like a Steinway than the preset Steinways, but it doesn't use any. And I don't mean to brag - you might not find it as good, but I just want to see what people think as I pursue my own sense of piano perfection.

I made it from some excerpts from pieces I know and partially know, as well as a couple bits I wrote:

Schubert Op. 90 no 3
Beethoven Pathetique Mvt. 2
Schubert Op. 90 no 3 (later excerpt repeated)
Beethoven Pathetique Sonata Mvt 1
Rachmaninoff Op 32 No 10
Rachmaninoff Op 32 No 12
Beethoven Moonlight Sonata Mvt 1 (Full)
(Something I wrote)
(Something else I wrote)
Schubert Op. 90 No. 4.
Bach Fuga a 3 Soggetti (Unfinished Fugue)
Bach E Flat Minor Prelude WTC Book 1
Beethoven Appassionata Mvt 1

Tell me what you think - this morph is now my go-to sound in Pianoteq. This is just raw pianoteq, no other filters or modifications either.

My thoughts:

I've been wrestling with Pianoteq for some time now to try to eek out higher quality, because I have felt that some things are still lacking. I have extremely demanding taste when it comes to pianos. I usually find something to complain about whenever I play a piano, and I've played on a lot of Steinways. I've played a couple nice ones in my life that have stuck with me, and I know what that experience is like, so I've been relentlessly pursuing the best sound I can with Pianoteq since I purchased it earlier this year.

I pretty much never use the preset Steinways because they have too much of a metallic sound, and working around it usually tends to be a matter of tradeoff rather than improvement. I made this morph out of my three favorite presets:

1. Blüthner (78%) - The cleanest modern piano on Pianoteq, in my opinion.
2. 1899 C. Bechstein 440 (42%) -
3. 1926 S. Erard (49%) - Adds a lot of character, making it sing more.

I then flattened them (you must do this to maximize sound quality) and did some more adjusting to their tone, increasing the direct sound duration and impedance until it sounded right. I noticed that this preset responds a lot better to extending the direct sound duration since the timbre is so much more wooden rather than having some of the harsh metallic overtones. Reduced hammer noise, as well as softened the overall hammer sound to further reduce any metallic sounds, as well as to compensate for the fact that it's now three pianos rolled into one.

Usually it goes like "I make a nice preset, then I go listen to nicely recorded Steinways and they sound so much better." In this case, I think they still sound better, but it's not such a vast difference to me anymore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfprFtm...way%26Sons

Of course, that has a bit more resonance in the room, which I can't really replicate on pianoteq because the EQs aren't at the super high quality that it would take to do that.

I feel quite good about this preset now overall, mainly because I'm so picky when it comes to the tone of any piano I play. I feel that I've finally made something that somewhat captures the feeling of playing a very nice Steinway.

Last edited by Opus32 (24-09-2021 15:00)

Re: I made my own Steinway!

Welcome to the forum Opus32!
A really nice good sounding pianosound. Well done! I have been struggling too, trying to get a ”nice” sound but I’m always coming back to the presets I modify a bit 
The sound is very beautiful on most pieces but when Moonlight Sonata came I reacted in some way, it sounded different in that piece. The piece after, Something I wrote, sounded good again. Can’t find words in english for the difference. Anyway, upload a fxp. It would be fun to test by playing my own music. And then we all can enjoy the new sound. Thank you!

Best,

Stig

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (23-09-2021 23:40)

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

A really nice good sounding pianosound. Well done! I have been struggling too, trying to get a ”nice” sound but I’m always coming back to the presets I modify a bit 
The sound is very beautiful on most pieces but when Moonlight Sonata came I reacted in some way, it sounded different in that piece. The piece after, Something I wrote, sounded good again. Can’t find words in english for the difference. Anyway, upload a fxp. It would be fun to test by playing my own music. And then we all can enjoy the new sound. Thank you!

Best,

Stig

Moonlight probably ended up kind of muffled. There's always some artefacts and intervals that just sound not as good. The upper register on this one seems to sound particularly good, the midtones, if left overly sustained can kind of get away from you and get a bit too busy.

Edit: I've also been playing the moonlight on more historical sounding pianoteq presets with a mind for the fact that Beethoven may have meant for the player to hold the sustain pedal through the whole thing (which a modern piano has far too much sustain for).

Edit 2: Thank you!

Last edited by Opus32 (23-09-2021 23:47)

Best,

Stig

OK, uploaded the FXP:

https://forum.modartt.com//file/cenzd7mm

EDIT:

Use this one instead:

https://forum.modartt.com//file/d89g21nu

Last edited by Opus32 (24-09-2021 00:09)

I have not had time to try out the fxp, but the mp3's sound very good. Thank you for creating and sharing this piano and these recordings.

Jake Johnson wrote:

I have not had time to try out the fxp, but the mp3's sound very good. Thank you for creating and sharing this piano and these recordings.

For sure! I was more like failing to peel myself from the computer for 14 hours yesterday from around noon to 2 am..... lol.

Give the FXP a try when you can. There's a type of singing character to the upper register of a well-maintained Steinway that is unmistakable. I sound like their marketing department.... lol but it's true.

I was really trying to capture that here and I think I may have succeeded. Ears might be ringing this morning, but worth.

They call it the "bell tone" of a Steinway, but I think it's more of a woody, warm, resonant, crisp, medium tone that works really well for a lot of styles of music.

Last edited by Opus32 (24-09-2021 15:15)

Very good job ! Thanks for sharing your FXP !
I have reused a track published 6 months ago (Additions), changing the original preset for your Real Steinway :

https://hearthis.at/xnwdv7yv/additions-de-septembre/

Gaston wrote:

I have reused a track published 6 months ago (Additions), changing the original preset for your Real Steinway :

Awesome! Awesome to hear my creation in someone else's work too! Thank you.

Opus32 wrote:
Gaston wrote:

Thank you for sharing your fxp.
I will try it.
Honestly it sounds wonderfull on these recordings.

Last edited by stamkorg (25-09-2021 10:40)

stamkorg wrote:
Opus32 wrote:
Gaston wrote:

Thank you for sharing your fxp.
I will try it.
Honestly it sounds wonderfull on these recordings.

Well, for you and anyone else, the best one I believe is the most recent one I made: https://forum.modartt.com//file/4seoq3e6

It's the one I used for the recording at the very top of my first post.

That said, taste in pianos is subjective, and the modifications I did, to make that most recent one the best to me was to spend time listening to modern Steinway recordings and voice it by getting the timbre in the right range of what would be normal for a Steinway. It really didn't feel like I hit that "just right" spot until that most recent FXP. It seems to respond well to changes in reverb as well, that is, it sounds like a nice piano recorded up close without the reverb on.

It's kind of funny how this happened. I grew up always wanting a Steinway, or other very nice grand piano since I had played on some nice Steinways as a teenager. And, it's a big deal to me, I've always had this very intense focus on the sound qualities of various pianos. In fact, I have a recurring dream/nightmare of being about to play on a nice piano at a dealer, and then there's always something wrong with the piano, like it falls apart or has keys suddenly missing, or I just don't get to start playing and have to leave. Like, yearning to play on a high quality piano is actually a major part of my life.

I guess also I studied physics, so I kind of have an idea of what to think about with the sound of pianos, though there's always more to learn. I.e., continuum mechanics is an especially important subject to the acoustics of pianos. If you think about nodes on a guitar string, that happens in 3d objects, and instead of nodes points on the string, you have nodal lines on a membrane instead of nodes on a string.

IDK, interesting stuff, the key to getting a piano right is to pay attention to how the overtones affect the characteristics. I think that data is possibly not good enough to do this by alone for the construction of an emulated digital piano, i.e. you probably need to see how the behavior of overtones affects the overall timbre. There are more than 8 overtones too, so it would be nice if I could have more direct control of the higher ones. I've noticed that in adjusting overtones, having a more continuous change seems to lead to a more pleasing sound. I.e. if you raise your first overtone, you should raise your second overtone by an intermediate amount so that you're never having any changes in overtones, otherwise it seems to lead to an unnatural, flat digital sound. The thing that makes an acoustic piano sound "real" in front of you is the fact that there are so many overtones that you can here coming from so many directions, going right into your ear.

Like, I made this piano by ear, I didn't have any wave display output to make it with (though I should do that, find some FFT generator to use just to see what frequencies are highest).

Oh ya, Unreal Engine has a sound engine that does FFT on the inner ear, since that's how your brain does spatial location - it's not just stereoscopic, but the fact that your ears have a curved shape, you can actually pick up on the difference in overtones that happens due to the curved shape of your ear. So they're actually making it so that you can pick an ear shape to have the sound go through. Pianoteq should do this. Lol.

When downloaded fxp Steinway Med Hall - 2, this is the sound I got with my (bad) keyboard. It said demo, because there is probably Erard from Kremsegg, which I don’t have, so some tones don’t sound.
Anyway, I wanted to play slowly and listen the sound how it is born, how the sound slowly fades out. And I can like this sound Thanks!
just a little demo here:

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...0sound.mp3

But, I think it doesn't sound quite like your sound in your demo.....anyway, I like it.

When downloaded fxp Steinway Med Hall - 2, this is the sound I got with my (bad) keyboard. It said demo, because there is probably Erard from Kremsegg, which I don’t have, so some tones don’t sound.
Anyway, I wanted to play slowly and listen the sound how it is born, how the sound slowly fades out. And I can like this sound Thanks!
just a little demo here:

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...0sound.mp3

But, I think it doesn't sound quite like your sound in your demo.....anyway, I like it.

This is awesome. It does a very good job of representing the tone of the preset I made, actually, especially the warmer, woodier mid tones, but it really does showcase the whole thing.

This is what I was going for, trying to make it sound good soft, medium and loud, high, low, middle and all combinations of the previous.

Opus32 wrote:
Gaston wrote:

It's your work that is awesome !
As I did not own the "Kremsegg collection 1 & 2" I had to invest in a new purchase at Modartt. I do not regret my 98 euros !
This FXP is now one of my go-to sounds in Pianoteq !

Hi Opus32,

I have been “playing” some Chopin MIDI files with your Ultimate Steinway Med Hall -2 fxp and the timbre you have created is enchanting. It is a very “autumnal” sound with a rich, ripe mellow base, a crisp, clear middle portion and the notes in the upper register sparkling like the yellow light off the reddening leaves. Every voice in the pieces sings with clarity, the festival joy of harvest home. I apologise for waxing lyrical about the piano you have constructed but it is a very emotive sound, as all good pianos are, I suppose.

I have never had access to a Steinway to play on, but if you will accept the compliment, it reminds me of the family piano I learnt to play on, which was a late nineteenth century, German, upright grand. It had been with the family since it was purchased my great uncle, whilst he and my grandfather were studying in Germany. Given its adventures and travels around the globe, it does need some restoration work to return it to its everyday performance standard, much like its current, out of practice pianist.

I had bought the Pianoteq Blüthner because the timbre reminded me of the piano I used to play with such pleasure half a century ago, but now I have your Ultimate Steinway Med Hall -2 to refresh the empty halls of memory with sound.

Thank you.

Michael

Pianoteq 8 Studio plus all Instrument packs; Organteq 2; Debian; Reaper; Carla

OPus32,

I took the liberty of using your fxp to render Sue Keller's recording\MIDI file of the piano part on Joni Mitchell's "River":

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...einway.mp3

Came out well, to my ears, though I must admit that today I am listening through my TV's speakers. May seem to run a bit long, without Mitchell's lyrics and voice.

Here is the link to the site with Ms. Keller's MIDI files, including the one used for this rendering:

http://www.rtpress.com/

Last edited by Jake Johnson (26-09-2021 17:47)

Opus 32, I really like your Real Steinway.  You've completely captured the bell-like tones in the mid-to-high treble, without entering the world of the modern European pianos.  It sounds like the 'ring' of my mother's Model M that I grew up hearing.  The bass, too, is quite solid.  The high bass to the mid mid-range, though, I find a bit muffled, almost like playing through a partially engaged damper.  I have not figured out how to 'clear it' to get it to match the rest of the keyboard's level of 'punch'.

Really an excellent use of the piano-blending capabilities in Pianoteq to use 'building block' instruments to duplicate yet another instrument of reality.  Fine work!

- David

Opus 32, I'm having trouble understanding one thing in your longer earlier post. You wrote that "If you think about nodes on a guitar string, that happens in 3d objects, and instead of nodes points on the string, you have nodal lines on a membrane instead of nodes on a string." I understand what a node is, and what a membrane is, but I'm not sure that I understand the distinction that you are making between them.

Are you simply saying that each string is an extended membrane, and that we shouldn't think of the nodes as resting "on" the string?

Jake Johnson wrote:

Opus 32, I'm having trouble understanding one thing in your longer earlier post. You wrote that "If you think about nodes on a guitar string, that happens in 3d objects, and instead of nodes points on the string, you have nodal lines on a membrane instead of nodes on a string." I understand what a node is, and what a membrane is, but I'm not sure that I understand the distinction that you are making between them.

Are you simply saying that each string is an extended membrane, and that we shouldn't think of the nodes as resting "on" the string?

I'm saying there are far more complex overtones that can be generated by the cabinetry of a real piano.

String overtones will be essentially normal.

Opus32 wrote:

I used three pianos to make it that I thought made a perfectly balanced instrument in the end. I used the three pianos that I think do the best job of avoiding the excessive metallic twang that a lot of pianoteq presets seem to have.

Tell me what you think - this morph is now my go-to sound in Pianoteq. This is just raw pianoteq, no other filters or modifications either.

Hi Opus32! I listened to all your recordings and everyone else’s. The piano sound is indeed beautiful.

So, I decided to download the FXP for which I also had to download the KIViR Project collection. I always procrastinated to download it, so this was a great reason.

Do you also play this piano at home? The reason I ask is because I tried playing it through studio monitors in my living room, but the reverb is insane. Just trying to better understand the necessary conditions where you think this piano would excel besides general recoding purposes. I haven’t tried using headphones, yet.

Thank you for the time and effort that you put into this piano project.

Last edited by ChrisPringle (29-09-2021 22:56)

ChrisPringle wrote:
Opus32 wrote:

I used three pianos to make it that I thought made a perfectly balanced instrument in the end. I used the three pianos that I think do the best job of avoiding the excessive metallic twang that a lot of pianoteq presets seem to have.

Hi Opus32! I listened to all your recordings and everyone else’s. The piano sound is indeed beautiful.

So, I decided to download the FXP for which I also had to download the KIViR Project collection. I always procrastinated to download it, so this was a great reason.

Do you also play this piano at home? The reason I ask is because I tried playing it through studio monitors in my living room, but the reverb is insane. Just trying to better understand the necessary conditions where you think this piano would excel besides general recoding purposes. I haven’t tried using headphones, yet.

Thank you for the time and effort that you put into this piano project.

Very flat headphones. I'd absolutely turn down the reverb, not necessarily off, also shrink the room size, adjust to the needs of your speakers.

You can also decrease the direct sound duration (by increasing it, I don't know why smaller number = longer sound), probably by about .10 to .20. You can then also reduce the impedance and play around with those settings until the sustain/bloom sounds right to you.

ALSO the first overtone is the loudest I've noticed. That's the one that tends to over bloom, and it might make the sound tinny on some headphones while it might sound far more balanced on some speakers.

Another thing I've noticed about overtones is that if the difference between one overtone and the one next to it is too large, it makes the sound unnatural sounding, so if you adjust 1 down, you might also turn down 2 by a slightly smaller amount.

I really ought to upgrade to pro at this point so I can adjust the overtones by note, among other things. Cutoff is another big one that makes low notes sound rich and powerful on lower notes, but makes upper register notes overly ringy.

Edit: On a side note... anyone know of any software that does time-dependent heatmaps of frequency, i.e. time dependent FFT?

Edit 2: Ya... I think an error on my part on this piano is that the first couple overtones need to be way toned down.

Last edited by Opus32 (29-09-2021 23:51)

Hello All,

As long as we are on the subject of emulating more realism to the pianos, here is what note-by-note editing I perform in the PRO version on nearly every preset in the acoustic piano models:

1)  As a professional piano tuner, I notice that the middle-most three or four octaves of any piano get the most playing time, and wear.  Therefore, to emulate this physical condition in Pianoteq models, I slightly increase the three hammer hardnesses in the range of the typical Grand Staff.

2), Next, I slightly increase the unison widths of notes in this same range, and slightly downwardly detune the notes in this same range.  The reason is that notes generally go "flat" with repeated play; hardly ever do they go sharp unless there is an increase in the ambient humidity and the soundboard picks up moisture, and expands upwardly into the bridge.

Please Note:  When I say "detune", I generally detune no more than negative 2 or 3 cents.  As a reference, a change in +/-8 cents at A440 represents a change of approximately +/-2 Hertz away from 440 Hertz.

3) As the same Grand Staff's worth of notes generally get played more often than the extreme octaves, I like to preferentially increase the hammer noise- and key release noise in this key range, and randomize them slightly more in these four octaves.

As a general rule, here is how to tell if you have edited these four octaves too much:  If you are able to hear a noticeable difference, then you have gone too far.  We're talking more about the "feel" of any given piano, rather than proverbially shouting "I  MADE  CHANGES!!!"

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers,

Joe

P.S.  These changes have been discussed with Modartt many years ago, in conjunction with the Condition Slider into either Pianoteq version 5 or 6.  I would suggest that if you do choose to follow these guidelines, do NOT severely alter the Condition slider unless you are striving for a special effect.

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (30-09-2021 01:05)

jcfelice88keys wrote:

Hello All,

As long as we are on the subject of emulating more realism to the pianos, here is what note-by-note editing I perform in the PRO version on nearly every preset in the acoustic piano models:

1)  As a professional piano tuner, I notice that the middle-most three or four octaves of any piano get the most playing time, and wear.  Therefore, to emulate this physical condition in Pianoteq models, I slightly increase the three hammer hardnesses in the range of the typical Grand Staff.

2), Next, I slightly increase the unison widths of notes in this same range, and slightly downwardly detune the notes in this same range.  The reason is that notes generally go "flat" with repeated play; hardly ever do they go sharp unless there is an increase in the ambient humidity and the soundboard picks up moisture, and expands upwardly into the bridge.

Please Note:  When I say "detune", I generally detune no more than negative 2 or 3 cents.  As a reference, a change in +/-8 cents at A440 represents a change of approximately +/-2 Hertz away from 440 Hertz.

3) As the same Grand Staff's worth of notes generally get played more often than the extreme octaves, I like to preferentially increase the hammer noise- and key release noise in this key range, and randomize them slightly more in these four octaves.

As a general rule, here is how to tell if you have edited these four octaves too much:  If you are able to hear a noticeable difference, then you have gone too far.  We're talking more about the "feel" of any given piano, rather than proverbially shouting "I  MADE  CHANGES!!!"

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers,

Joe

P.S.  These changes have been discussed with Modartt many years ago, in conjunction with the Condition Slider into either Pianoteq version 5 or 6.  I would suggest that if you do choose to follow these guidelines, do NOT severely alter the Condition slider unless you are striving for a special effect.

I don't really do much with that slider. It's too many changes for one parameter.

These are awesome, when I upgrade to pro I'll give these changes a shot. I definitely know what you mean about making very slight, subtle changes.

I was actually shocked at how far I had to turn down the first overtone on this one, how it actually didn't start sounding tinny as well, so small changes I do notice make quite a big difference, and any change too far in any direction will screw things up.

Love this stuff, when I have my own acoustic piano I'll learn to maintain it for sure. Love the details of piano sound.

jcfelice88keys wrote:

Hello All,

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Joe! Sounds like you’ve also put a lot of effort into improving your piano for realism. Would you mind sharing the changes and adjustments you’ve made to your favorite piano in an fxp file for us to try it?

That's a nice sounding Steinway, Opus32.

This is the Steinway I remember when I went for piano lessons. The music department at Phillips Academy in Andover had Steinway Bs in the teaching studios and Steinway Ds in their concert halls.

After lessons, I would go home to a worn out 1948 Wurlitzer spinet that sounded like I was playing on a cardboard box. The key depth was so deep that it  required lifting fingers up really high, otherwise, my fingers would get stuck!

jcitron wrote:

That's a nice sounding Steinway, Opus32.

This is the Steinway I remember when I went for piano lessons. The music department at Phillips Academy in Andover had Steinway Bs in the teaching studios and Steinway Ds in their concert halls.

After lessons, I would go home to a worn out 1948 Wurlitzer spinet that sounded like I was playing on a cardboard box. The key depth was so deep that it  required lifting fingers up really high, otherwise, my fingers would get stuck!

Thank you!

I'm glad you like it.

That's why I made it too... Like, there's a "feeling" you get from a really nice piano, especially a good Steinway in particular. I've been playing around with the sound more and I may have discovered more things, but I'm thinking I might try to make a YouTube channel devoted to this topic in general.

The more I keep playing, the deeper it all keeps getting. Assuming Q factor means what it means in physics, it's actually not simply "decrease of higher overtones," though it might make more sense that it would work that way.

It would also be great if we could do more with the sympathetic resonance... In real life, Steinways have a TON of it and it's not something that you can easily just "do" in Pianoteq I've noticed. I'd love to be able to tweak that feature more. Maybe I just need to find a high quality reverb plugin? IDK.  It needs to be physically modeled in space, i.e. it needs to bounce off of itself, like where the sound vibrates the harp board and wood of the piano, then that reverberates with itself before going out into the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGHJUpZ...mp;index=7

I wish I could just be a full time engineer on this stuff. Lol.

Hi all,
the sound is beautiful. But can anyone please advise why Olga Kern's performance sounds brighter (in fact, much brighter) to my ear than the first piece on SoundCloud in the first post. Am I comparing the live performance to a wrong piece, or do I have a wrong ear, or is it ambience that makes it different? Once again, Opus32's sound is wonderful, a soft and rich Steinway, I just cannot liken it to this live playing, which is fairly bright.
P.S. I used Sennheiser HD215 headphones to compare.

Last edited by Klest (05-10-2021 16:25)

Klest wrote:

Hi all,
the sound is beautiful. But can anyone please advise why Olga Kern's performance sounds brighter (in fact, much brighter) to my ear than the first piece on SoundCloud in the first post. Am I comparing the live performance to a wrong piece, or do I have a wrong ear, or is it ambience that makes it different? Once again, Opus32's sound is wonderful, a soft and rich Steinway, I just cannot liken it to this live playing, which is fairly bright.
P.S. I used Sennheiser HD215 headphones to compare.

Hi Klest,

My intention with the comparison was to show that it sounds like it's  closer to the same sound area as a Steinway. The IRL one does sound brighter, part of that has to do with the recording as well. Brightness I've sound more recently is perhaps too ambiguous of a word, but seems to mostly be caused by a ratio of lower to higher overtones. A wider unison also tends to cause more brightness, as well as less falloff of higher overtones.

One challenge is that as you add overtones, there's more that can go wrong.

The main point was to show that this is something that doesn't sound as good as a live recording, but one that I am willing to compare side by side to show the gaps.

I find that in using the main Steinway presets, I tend to run into too many metallic overtones, as well as nasally sounding regions that sound harsh. I also find that it absolutely destroys my eardrums to play the pianoteq preset Steinway because of the metallic overtones being loud.

I wonder if the simulation causes se random superpositions that are really high in amplitude but hard to register audibly.

Ultimately, this is a work in process yet for me.

Opus32 wrote:

I find that in using the main Steinway presets, I tend to run into too many metallic overtones, as well as nasally sounding regions that sound harsh. I also find that it absolutely destroys my eardrums to play the pianoteq preset Steinway because of the metallic overtones being loud.

I wonder if the simulation causes se random superpositions that are really high in amplitude but hard to register audibly.

"Destroys my eardrums"!
Quite some claim.

Out of curiosity what loudspeaker monitors are you using?

Key Fumbler wrote:
Opus32 wrote:

"Destroys my eardrums"!
Quite some claim.

Out of curiosity what loudspeaker monitors are you using?

I've actually used several now at this point. It tends to be when playing loudly, of course.

Speakers work better to reduce it. I still get some effect from any piano, but it's most noticeable on the Steinway Ds for me, particularly the New York one.

The Steinway B has a lot less of it, it's still there but far less noticeable.

I can go listen to a classically recorded piano, even after a long session on pianoteq without this problem, on any speakers or headphones.

I find that playing the NY Steinway has a similar impact on my ears as a rock concert. There may be some sensitization, but I can listen to lots of music for a long time without the same issue.

I also find an issue of clarity, if that makes sense. I need to get a spectrogram to compare pianoteq to a classical recording and look for these overtones. I find I have to turn the volume up more on pianoteq higher to feel like I am hearing the "same thing" as a classical recording.

Don't get me wrong, I love the software. I spent 14 hours in a single day working on that Steinway preset I made, and gave spent many hours many days working on it and other presets.

I just suspect that there's more work that can be done with it, and I am perfectly willing to contribute to that.

Do you still hear that problem to a certain (lesser) extent even with your own presets?
Or do you consider it all but eradicated in your own presets?

Perhaps you hear that problem even worse with the presets I recently uploaded in the fxp section?

Key Fumbler wrote:

Do you still hear that problem to a certain (lesser) extent even with your own presets?
Or do you consider it all but eradicated in your own presets?

Perhaps you hear that problem even worse with the presets I recently uploaded in the fxp section?

I hear it even in my own presets. It's better or worse depending on the piano, but the Steinway Model Ds have it the worst.

One hypothesis I have is that all sound is getting sort of superimposed through one source and you get moments of resonance where the amplitude of the sound wave constructively interferes for a couple moments near the beginning of the key strike, i.e. hammer noise function really does add to this quite a lot. Like, a real piano these sounds are coming from different locations and ha e somewhat diminished when they reach your ear. Tho, IRL Steinway Ds can also hurt your ears simply because they are loud as hell. Might also be rendering artifacts, tho I hear it even in rendered demos.

I think that the hammer noise seems to hurt the sound more than it helps for most presets, i.e. hardness makes the sound sharp enough as is, and sounds more real to my ears.

Hardness will increase this effect, increasing hammer noise increases the effect, increasing cutoff increases the effect.

I uploaded a much darker sounding grand derived from the NY D model in the wee hours. Maybe it was too dark to still be called the Steinway.  I called that "Dark Grand".

Anyway I deleted that preset but uploaded it again within a hybrid with the Bluethner, so it is still there within that morph piano.   
Basically I don't want to spam the FXP section with my experiments. I am pleased with this latest morph.

This possibly doesn't belong in your thread here, but it also has tamed brilliance so it might appeal. I'm not pretending it still sounds like a Steinway.

Just enable the EQ curves for a more brilliant sound - season to taste!

Thanks for your great preset.
I have tested your Real Steinway 2 and like it a lot, only the two highest octaves or the 20 highest keys don't sound well to me and I can't explain exactly what I mean, it's just not very close to the real pianos I know.
Are you ok with the high keys?
Sorry, I have not read all posts and maybe problem has been already solved meanwhile or I have an old version? I have to add that I only have Pianoteq 7 Standard. Great job, though and thanks.

Fryderyk wrote:

Thanks for your great preset.
I have tested your Real Steinway 2 and like it a lot, only the two highest octaves or the 20 highest keys don't sound well to me and I can't explain exactly what I mean, it's just not very close to the real pianos I know.
Are you ok with the high keys?
Sorry, I have not read all posts and maybe problem has been already solved meanwhile or I have an old version? I have to add that I only have Pianoteq 7 Standard. Great job, though and thanks.

I've been working on a lot of issues, as well as learning more about how these overtones actually evolve over time. 

I've made a more realistic piano since these, but right now it had some overtones causing some regions to sound a bit mediocre.

Honestly, the overtone editing system in pro leaves some things to be desired, i.e. I want a note edit curve for a specific overtone, rather than a spread of overtones for a single key, which would be the last adjustment you'd do.

Last edited by Opus32 (11-10-2021 18:03)

Hi Opus32,

I really enjoyed your recordings, and I must say that your preset is making me very tempted to buy Pianoteq. However, I cannot try your preset in the Pianoteq demo because it uses one piano (Erard 1922) that is a KIVIR-project free piano to pianoteq owners but that cannot be installed in the demo (I know this is a bit absurd: the paid pianos are available in the demo, but the free pianos are not... Go figure...). Whenever I attempt to install your preset, only the Bluethner and the Bechstein sound... Unless someone can explain me how to install the kivir project in the demo. BTW, it is the Kivir Erard 1922, correct? Because in your first post you say "1926 Erard", and I cannot find that piano in the pianoteq list of instruments.

I assume that there are no Kremsegg piano that may be a suitable substitute for the Erard, is there?

Vagporto wrote:

Hi Opus32,

I really enjoyed your recordings, and I must say that your preset is making me very tempted to buy Pianoteq. However, I cannot try your preset in the Pianoteq demo because it uses one piano (Erard 1922) that is a KIVIR-project free piano to pianoteq owners but that cannot be installed in the demo (I know this is a bit absurd: the paid pianos are available in the demo, but the free pianos are not... Go figure...). Whenever I attempt to install your preset, only the Bluethner and the Bechstein sound... Unless someone can explain me how to install the kivir project in the demo. BTW, it is the Kivir Erard 1922, correct? Because in your first post you say "1926 Erard", and I cannot find that piano in the pianoteq list of instruments.

I assume that there are no Kremsegg piano that may be a suitable substitute for the Erard, is there?

Sorry, 1922 Erard. Lol.

I think there's too much voicing work done on it to retroactively alter it.

People keep buying the instruments and the product because of this preset, maybe I need to change careers lol

Opus32 wrote:

I think there's too much voicing work done on it to retroactively alter it.

People keep buying the instruments and the product because of this preset, maybe I need to change careers lol

I assumed so... I have to convince Modartt to include Kivir in their demo... I would also have to buy the Bluethner (not my favorite tone) and one of the Kremseggs (again, not a favorite). Hard choice. Thanks...

First, ask the producer for understanding. I revised it in my own way. I raised the strength of the hammer a little and changed the position of the microphone. It shows the results of making the attack stronger. I will post the file on the FXP corner.

https://forum.modartt.com//file/b3b9q2rd

Last edited by sskuk1 (14-10-2021 14:52)

Key Fumbler wrote:

I uploaded a much darker sounding grand derived from the NY D model in the wee hours. Maybe it was too dark to still be called the Steinway.  I called that "Dark Grand".

Anyway I deleted that preset but uploaded it again within a hybrid with the Bluethner, so it is still there within that morph piano.   
Basically I don't want to spam the FXP section with my experiments. I am pleased with this latest morph.

This possibly doesn't belong in your thread here, but it also has tamed brilliance so it might appeal. I'm not pretending it still sounds like a Steinway.

Update: I deleted this. It sounds bloody awful to me now. Something went wrong with that patch before I uploaded sorry.

Key Fumbler wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:

Update: I deleted this. It sounds bloody awful to me now. Something went wrong with that patch before I uploaded sorry.

Ha!

This happens to me every day. I only know I've got a good piano after I can like it the next day. I have like a couple hundred saved instruments at this point.