Topic: OrganTeq expansion to other winds

Much of the physical modeling for air-based sound, incl. capturing the "chiff", has already been done in OrganTeq.  It seems to me that Modartt has, in OrganTeq, built the foundation necessary for physical modeling of flute, oboe, bassoon, sax, French horn, trumpet, trombone...

In short, the user could build his or her own orchestra a la carte using OrganTeq as the base: Modartt could sell specific types of flutes and other woodwinds and brass instruments just as they currently do for PianoTeq, and the user could purchase just what they need, which is another potential market: Not everyone wants to plop down $1,400USD for a full orchestra when they only need a small ensemble for their work.

I hope this is the business plan for OrganTeq; I'm desperate for native Linux modeled orchestral instruments, beginning with woodwinds.  I'm not ready to commit to OrganTeq yet, though, as I'm not an organist and don't currently write any organ music (a substantial undertaking, a world in itself), but would do so in a heartbeat if I knew this was, in fact, the plan for OrganTeq, that there would be a good flute, a bassoon, an oboe, etc. running on the OrganTeq platform in the same sense that the vibraphones and steel drums run on PianoTeq.

Last edited by JazzCat (09-09-2021 18:23)

Re: OrganTeq expansion to other winds

That may be a good idea thinking long term, but Organteq still has a ways to go before it is a truly competitive organ. It is a fantastic start and I'm still excited about it, but for it to be competitive we need more. Hopefully the 2.0 version of Organteq will provide a few more organs (baroque, american classic, etc.), or at least provide the option for 3rd parties to design organs for sale. That along with physical modelling controls and better performance would make Organteq an extremely strong competitor.

And then Modartt could think about wind and brass instruments

Seconding this.  If Organteq had flute and clarinet instrument packs (offering different articulations, realistic vibrato, etc), it would be a very tempting purchase!

As rjsilva already mentioned, Organteq has made a good start. It is for instance very usefull for practice.

To allow the variations in sound a player can produce with an actual wind or string instrument in her/his hands seems too much asked, given only a simple keyboard. But of course, one could image Orchestrateq for a first approach.

And separately  improve Organteq.

Analog Heyligers E1 organ, 13 stops, 2 manuals + pedal
December 2018 extension: third manual and midi
Software Organteq, GrandOrgue, Sweelinq

I'd like to see more organ stops first, e.g. an oboe stop, a dulciana stop, a choralbass stop.  Also chimes and harp, although the modeling engine might need more adapting.  Not sure the capability is there to make a convincing solo player sound for a real flute, french horn, etc. since there are so many more performance characteristics than an organ keyboard can control.

christopherjhoh wrote:

Not sure the capability is there to make a convincing solo player sound for a real flute, french horn, etc. since there are so many more performance characteristics than an organ keyboard can control.

It's a virtual instrument.  You don't have to control it from a keyboard alone.  You can mix and match whatever midi controllers you like, or record something then edit to add controller data.

One of the many great things about Organteq/Pianoteq is there's more than one way to use them!