Topic: Swell pedal range

Using the standard CC11 with a pedal is it possible to increase the swell range in Organtec?
With a fresh install it's very limited, and I've not found it in the online manual as yet..

Last edited by richford (26-07-2021 15:35)

Re: Swell pedal range

richford wrote:

Using the standard CC11 with a pedal is it possible to increase the swell range in Organtec?
With a fresh install it's very limited, and I've not found it in the online manual as yet..

In the standard setting, the maximum range from 0.0 to 1.0 is already set for the CC11.
The fact that the volume change is not so extreme is certainly wanted, since the swell pedal simulates the acoustic damping of a real organ. In addition to the volume, the frequency spectrum also changes.
It would of course be possible to control the main volume of Organteq via CC11 as an alternative (or in combination with the swell pedal). In this case, the control range could be varied very widely as required.

Also, by default the swell only puts the Recit division under expression, but you can set the entire organ to be under expression by right clicking the swell pedal and enabling all divisions.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2xHiPcCsm29R12HX4eXd4J
Pianoteq Pro & Organteq 2
Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

I have experimented with cheating a bit, in the way mentioned by Pat. As the MIDI action mapping is only mentioned very briefly in the user manual, I would like to add that it is possible to insert the same MIDI CC number multiple times in the action mapping tab of the MIDI mappings dialog.

I have mapped my expression controller twice, once, "as normal" to the full range (0-1.00) of the Organteq "Expression Pedal" parameter, and then once more, to the Organteq "Volume" parameter, but with a rather small range, currently -6 to 0dB. That way, at minimum expression, my organ is 6dB quieter than it otherwise would be, which gives a noticable difference that, in my view, still sounds acceptably realistic. This has the downside that I can't meaningfully use the volume slider in the GUI, as it is now under MIDI control, and will, as soon as I touch the expression controller, jump to whatever value the MIDI mapping dictates.

Since the volume parameter affects the entire organ, this only works (well) if all divisions are under expression. Perhaps it is because I begun with a fairly early version of Organteq, but by default, all my divisions were under expression, and I have left them that way.

As an option, it is technically possible to map the expression controller to the volume of individual stops instead of the main volume. That way, if only the Récit is under expression, it would be possible to only affect the volume of those stops, but as changing the volume for an individual stop seems to trigger a recalculation of the model for the affected stops, I suppose changing the volume of a stop while playing could cause audio artefacts, though I noticed no ill effects when toying around with just two stops. If you play with this, keep in mind that the default volume isn't neccesarily 0dB for all stops, and you might want to account for that when setting volume ranges for individual stops.

I am under the impression that the amount of damping by the swell shades may, by design, differ between organs. I would presume Organteq accurately models the damping of the particular organ Modartt studied, but as Organteq, in the end, is a software that allows us, should we like to, do other weird things (for example, I briefly tried having multiple Voix Celestes with different detunings), I think it would be nice if the available swell range was greater than than what's used by default. There are, after all, organs with double expression, i e two sets of swell shades between some ranks of pipes and the listeners.

Posted from my organ...

I have a problem with the MIDI range output from my organ console. This has three expression pedals, each of which only emits a MIDI signal between 58 and 127. This is automatically recognized in Hauptwerk and scaled to a full range input (0 to 127).
Have I overlooked a setting in Organteq or do Modartt have to program an adjustment first?

Ralfs Projekt wrote:

I have a problem with the MIDI range output from my organ console. This has three expression pedals, each of which only emits a MIDI signal between 58 and 127. This is automatically recognized in Hauptwerk and scaled to a full range input (0 to 127).
Have I overlooked a setting in Organteq or do Modartt have to program an adjustment first?

Try adjusting the range on the Midi Mapping in Organteq's settings (and toggling that setting to global mapping instead of per-preset mapping).

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2xHiPcCsm29R12HX4eXd4J
Pianoteq Pro & Organteq 2
Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

I just tried to change the parameters in the settings as suggested.  Unfortunately, you can only restrict the area and not scale it.