Topic: Debussy Suite Bergamasque

I've been playing "Clair de lune" for years now.  Finally decided it was time to learn the whole suite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ebKTA07tbo

Re: Debussy Suite Bergamasque

This is wonderful hanysz!,

loving your way of interpreting Debussy.. and the Grotrian works so well.

Appreciate also your pleasing audio too - really great on all counts.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Great player you are !

Que Bastet soit avec vous et avec votre mistigri !

Wonderful playing. I like Debussy and my favourite is Arabesque No. 1 (but too difficult for me). If you have played it, please upload, with your nice interpretation of Debussy. Anyway, Thank you very much for sharing and nice to hear Grotrian 

Stig

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (11-05-2021 21:09)

Thanks for all the encouraging comments!  I'll get around to the Arabesques eventually, and a lot more Debussy as well (another one of my big favourites is the Children's Corner).  But first I think I need to do some Szymanowski, some Bach, and some more Australian works.  I'll keep you posted.

If I were really a pianist I would like to play Debussy as nicely as you do !

Gaston wrote:

If I were really a pianist I would like to play Debussy as nicely as you do !

I'm sure you could, if you didn't spend so much time composing so nicely.  Keep up the good work!

Very nice performance, and lovely visuals too!

beautiful performance.  just curious, what is the visualization software?

budo wrote:

beautiful performance.  just curious, what is the visualization software?

Sorry for the late reply.  I'm not sure why I didn't see this comment last year!

I write my own software for the visualisations, using the Python programming language.  See https://github.com/hanysz/midi_python_animations

thanks for the link to the repo.  it looks very cool.  i tried it out but there is something awry with my python setup because it can't load moviepy.editor (even though it's installed).  i'll keep playing with it.

could you give an example of how to use one of the scripts?

budo wrote:

thanks for the link to the repo.  it looks very cool.  i tried it out but there is something awry with my python setup because it can't load moviepy.editor (even though it's installed).  i'll keep playing with it.

could you give an example of how to use one of the scripts?

First of all, I should mention I did all of this with Python2, and it's untested with Python3.  Over the next few months I'll be migrating it to Python3 (this is long overdue!)  It's possible that your Python environment is just too new.  I've found https://github.com/pyenv/pyenv useful for installing older Python versions without changing the system version.

There's no user interface.  Just edit the script to insert your preferred settings (look for variable names in all caps, and the "execfile(settings/stuff)" line) and paths to your MIDI and audio files, then type "python name_of_script.py" on the command line.  Before today, I haven't had anyone else express an interest in using it, so I've made no effort to make it user-friendly, sorry!

I think midi_player_bubbles_v01.py will be the easiest one to get started with.

budo wrote:

...can't load moviepy.editor (even though it's installed)...

Oh, I found a note that I had to hack ImageMagick before moviepy would work.  See https://github.com/Zulko/moviepy/issues/693  I commented out a line as per pkarp0's comment of Jan 6, 2018

I'm using moviepy version 0.2.3.5 with Python 2.7.15rc1 if that helps at all.

And I think this thread may have gone slightly off topic :-)  Feel free to send me a private message on this forum or start a conversation via a github issue.