Topic: Genelec advice

Hi there

I'm approaching a big birthday and probably for over a decade I've been weighing up the possibility of splurging on a pair of Genelecs. I once heard some 8040s when I demo'd a V-Piano (which I bought and ultimately sold) and was pretty blown away by them. But that was a long time ago.

I've narrowed down my choice to 8030s or 8040s, mainly driven by budget.

Quite a big chunk of change more for the 8040s, but I hope this would be my last monitor purchase.

Currently I have a pair of respectable hifi speakers atop my aging Clavinova. However I also have a separate stereo channel going through the Clavinova's internal amp/speakers. Althought it's an older model (CLP-170) it has powerful speakers as it was once top of range. Contrary to some others on this forum I find that the combo of the hifi speakers aimed at my ears works well with the bassier contribution resonating from the keyboard cabinet. I was really surprised how well the keyboard speakers worked out in this regard. Very much helps with the audio illusion that sound is coming from a large piano shaped thing sitting partially below and in front of you.

Just as an aside I've always been quite proud of my second hand purchase of the CLP170. It cost me about £400, and as noted the amp/speaker combo is top drawer. Far more of a contender to modern digital pianos than you might expect - plus I have refurbished the keyboard myself.

I know that I should audition my speakers before buying. However, right now that's simply not possible and I'm prepared to take the risk. Worst case I have to sell the Genelecs on ebay if I don't like them. I can't wait for the pandemic to be over....acquiring these new speakers is simply too "urgent".

So there you have it. Any tips from Genelec experience, gratefully received.

Thanks all