Topic: A quick way to install Pianoteq 7 and tweak system on Raspberry Pi 4B

At one time, I really wanted to be able to install a virtual piano on my Raspberry Pi, so that I wouldn't have to move my computer every time I practiced. However, no solution was found at that time.

Later, I found some iOS virtual pianos, but they still didn't satisfy me: limited scalability, less-than-realistic tones, and perceptible latency.

Until I came across Pianoteq, all my fantasies were finally fulfilled: run on Raspberry Pi, realistic tones, and ultra-low latency, and even more...

I spent a few days researching how to get Pianoteq to work well on the Raspberry Pi, and took some notes. I was going to share it on the forum, but after searching I found that there are actually quite a few similar topics already out there.

Can't I do something else? Almost forgot, I can program!

So I spent another whole night implementing most of the previous manual installation steps via Python.

pianoteq-pi

How to use
  1. Install Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) on your Raspberry Pi.

2. Download Pianoteq from the official website, and put the 7z/zip package you got into your Raspberry Pi. Or download directly on your Raspberry Pi.

3. Run the following command in the same folder of the 7z/zip package:

wget -qO setup.py https://git.io/JqVD6 && sudo python3 setup.py

Simple as that.

What this script actually does?
  1. Installs dependencies

2. Extracts the Pianoteq 7z/zip package to /home/pi/

3. Creates a start.sh script under the Pianoteq folder

4. Creates a desktop entry for Pianoteq, so you can open it easily by clicking the icon

5. Creates a system service to run Pianoteq headlessly every time the system startups

6. Set a default resolution so that you can run Pianoteq while not connecting to a display

7. Ask to overclock the CPU to get better performance as well

8. Disables smsc95xx.turbo_mode as Pianoteq officially advised

9. Modifies the "account limits" as Pianoteq officially advised

10. Checks if you have already installed Pianoteq and can re-install or uninstall it if you want

For more details

PIANOTEQ-PI: https://github.com/youfou/pianoteq-pi

Hopefully it will help more people to bring Pianoteq to their Raspberry Pi

Youfou

Last edited by youfou (18-03-2021 18:27)

Re: A quick way to install Pianoteq 7 and tweak system on Raspberry Pi 4B

Thanks Youfou this is brilliant. Exactly what I was looking for. I've never worked with Raspberry PI, but have been building my own PC's and worked with Linux and Unix for 20+ years. My goal is to improve the piano audio from our church's Yamaha NU1. This will make my task so much easier. I'll let you know how it goes

Photographer, cyclist (and now self-made livestream and audio tech for small church in Lund Sweden) , ex-pat American from San Diego living in southern Sweden. IG:catchlight.se

Thanks again for your configuration command, it certainly made my first experience with Raspberry and Pianoteq much easier, but there were a few small issues on the way

The good news is I managed to download and install the Raspberry PI 64 bit OS on my Raspberry 4 PI B 4GB as well as downloading Pianoteq Stage.
I then ran your command to install Pianoteq and configure the system which also seemed to work without error, but then the "small issues" began...

I am not currently using a DAC, so just using the headphone jack for output.

I was able to start Pianoteq and then need to choose my midi device, in this case our Hybrid Piano Midi 1
but when I choose the audio output and choose either "playback/recording through pulse audio sound server "or "pulse audio sound server" the system immediately reboots 80% of the time.
After repeated attempts making sure the hour glass has disappeared and leaving about 1 minute between any menu changes I was finally able to quit Pianoteq and have it remember my midi choices.
I successfully switched to one of our purchased piano voices, the Steinway B and was able to listen to the blues demo, I then changed the output from recording to stereophonic, waited two minutes and saved the settings as a preset, waited another minute and quit Pianoteq, the OS rebooted immediately, but it did manage to save the preset. So on the next reboot Pianoteq started with my preset and the proper midi settings. I was now able to play our piano using my Steinway preset.

So there is no doubt that you saved me quite a lot of work in optimizing the settings, but there seems to be some other issues that need to be sorted out before you have a large group of pianists using your solution

Photographer, cyclist (and now self-made livestream and audio tech for small church in Lund Sweden) , ex-pat American from San Diego living in southern Sweden. IG:catchlight.se

Hi Kingfisher.

Glad you're using the script!

Based on your description, I'm guessing that the reboot issue is probably caused by CPU overclocking -- the script automatically overclocks the Raspberry Pi to 2000 MHz (at voltage level 6).

Your Raspberry Pi often reboots after configuration changes, presumably because loading a new configuration instantly increases the system load, and the high system load may cause the Raspberry Pi's CPU to overheat or under-voltage, and in turn, cause a reboot.

I installed a heatsink and fan in my own Raspberry Pi and used the official Raspberry Pi power supply, so I didn't notice any overclocking caused problems. (I forgot to mention this in the post)

I have updated the script. Now it will not actively overclock the CPU, but will ask you beforehand if you want to overclock or restore back to the stock CPU frequency and voltage.

You can cancel the overclock by running this command again.

(It will ask you if you want to cancel the overclock.)

If the problem goes away or is reduced, then I recommend:
1. install a heatsink and fan for the Raspberry Pi (if you haven't already done so).
2. use the official power supply of the Raspberry Pi.

The official power supply is probably the most overlooked of these. Previously, the charging head I used was also labeled as "5V3A", but I still often encountered low voltage causing CPU degradation. And after switching to the official power supply, this problem does not exist anymore.

I hope the above suggestions can solve your problem!

Youfou

kingfisher wrote:

Thanks again for your configuration command, it certainly made my first experience with Raspberry and Pianoteq much easier, but there were a few small issues on the way

The good news is I managed to download and install the Raspberry PI 64 bit OS on my Raspberry 4 PI B 4GB as well as downloading Pianoteq Stage.
I then ran your command to install Pianoteq and configure the system which also seemed to work without error, but then the "small issues" began...

I am not currently using a DAC, so just using the headphone jack for output.

I was able to start Pianoteq and then need to choose my midi device, in this case our Hybrid Piano Midi 1
but when I choose the audio output and choose either "playback/recording through pulse audio sound server "or "pulse audio sound server" the system immediately reboots 80% of the time.
After repeated attempts making sure the hour glass has disappeared and leaving about 1 minute between any menu changes I was finally able to quit Pianoteq and have it remember my midi choices.
I successfully switched to one of our purchased piano voices, the Steinway B and was able to listen to the blues demo, I then changed the output from recording to stereophonic, waited two minutes and saved the settings as a preset, waited another minute and quit Pianoteq, the OS rebooted immediately, but it did manage to save the preset. So on the next reboot Pianoteq started with my preset and the proper midi settings. I was now able to play our piano using my Steinway preset.

So there is no doubt that you saved me quite a lot of work in optimizing the settings, but there seems to be some other issues that need to be sorted out before you have a large group of pianists using your solution

Last edited by youfou (17-03-2021 15:37)

youfou wrote:

Hi Kingfisher.

Based on your description, I'm guessing that the reboot issue is probably caused by CPU overclocking -- the script automatically overclocks the Raspberry Pi to 2000 MHz (at voltage level 6).

Your Raspberry Pi often reboots after configuration changes, presumably because loading a new configuration instantly increases the system load, and the high system load may cause the Raspberry Pi's CPU to overheat or under-voltage, and in turn, cause a reboot.

I installed a heatsink and fan in my own Raspberry Pi and used the official Raspberry Pi power supply, so I didn't notice any overclocking caused problems. (I forgot to mention this in the post)

I have updated the script. Now it will not actively overclock the CPU, but will ask you beforehand if you want to overclock or restore back to the stock CPU frequency and voltage.

1. install a heatsink and fan for the Raspberry Pi (if you haven't already done so).

The official power supply is probably the most overlooked of these. Previously, the charging head I used was also labeled as "5V3A", but I still often encountered low voltage causing CPU degradation. And after switching to the official power supply, this problem does not exist anymore.

Youfou

Thanks Youfou,
I should have added a few more details about my system.
I am using an Odko Raspberry kit. It contains also 3 heatsinks and a fan which I installed. I'm not sure if/how the power supply differs from the Raspberry kit, but it is stated to be 5V 3A, but I will invest in the official PSU.
I also installed VNC server on the Raspberry since it is not included in the current 64bit image, and then booted as a headless system, and logged in over vnc.

It felt a little like the Apollo 13 movie, trying to find the right sequence of actions that did not overload the system I think in total it must have rebooted 20 times. But it only ever rebooted while using Pianoteq.
Initially it rebooted with every menu choice I made in Pianoteq, but after many different attempts I was finally able to save my presets and Pianoteq has saved my midi and audio settings.

At the end I was able to play the demo blues midi tune using our purchased piano voices as well as play our piano with the headphone output going to our mixer and PA system. There is quite a lot of noise when I turn up the volume but I have ordered a HIFIBerry DAC+ Pro XLR and hopefully this will give a better S/N ratio.
I will try the system live in church this Sunday, only using Pianoteq for the piano audio being sent in our livestream.  I'll let you know how it goes when a real pianist plays continuously for 10 minutes or so.

Last edited by kingfisher (17-03-2021 17:57)

kingfisher wrote:

Hi Kingfisher.

Youfou

After more testing my Raspberry failed to boot properly, so I reinstalled everything from scratch and installed the HIFIBerry DAC+ PRO XLR hat, purchased the official Raspberry power supply and then reinstalled Pianoteq using your new script.

http://catchlight.se/Pianoteq_rasp_2000MHZ.jpg
http://catchlight.se/image0.jpeg
I continued to have problems if I chose 2000Mhz whereas 1800Mhz runs perfectly and gives me a performance index of 28 when I play some heavy midi files.

Unfortunately the DAC+Pro leaves no room for a fan internally, first I tried without the fan and the temperature got up to 70 degrees, so I cut holes into the case and mounted the fan on the outside, and now the temperature is constant at 50 degrees, so I think that should be safe. So the new configuration and your new script are a huge success.

Thanks again for your hard work! I never would have gotten this far this quickly without your help. Tomorrow I will use Pianoteq live for our Sunday church service.

Last edited by kingfisher (26-03-2021 08:33)

Hi Kingfisher, great to hear it's finally working well! And thanks for your testing and detailed feedback.

kingfisher wrote:
kingfisher wrote:

Hi Kingfisher.

Youfou

After more testing my Raspberry failed to boot properly, so I reinstalled everything from scratch and installed the HIFIBerry DAC+ PRO XLR hat, purchased the official Raspberry power supply and then reinstalled Pianoteq using your new script.

I continued to have problems if I chose 2000Mhz whereas 1800Mhz runs perfectly and gives me a performance index of 28 when I play some heavy midi files.

Unfortunately the DAC+Pro leaves no room for a fan internally, first I tried without the fan and the temperature got up to 70 degrees, so I cut holes into the case and mounted the fan on the outside, and now the temperature is constant at 50 degrees, so I think that should be safe. So the new configuration and your new script are a huge success.

Thanks again for your hard work! I never would have gotten this far this quickly without your help. Tomorrow I will use Pianoteq live for our Sunday church service.

Hi Youfou,

This is such a great solution, and I use it frequently to test the different overclock settings.

One suggestion, I am currently using PT Stage and it works perfectly, but I downloaded a demo of Pianoteq standard to test the standard functions and then the script was not able to find the pianoteq package, so I had to rename it in order to use the script.
An easy task for an experienced user, but maybe a little more challenging for a new Raspberry user. Maybe you could include a case for the demo package name

pianoteq_linux_v730demo.7z

in your script.

Thanks again!

Hello,

I'm very interested in the project you have started there Youfou, as I'm running my own little config but it's been quite a challenge since I'm not a Linux pro by any means. Thank you very much for providing this script and saving many people the headaches!!

I have a concert in two weeks for which I've challenged myself not to bring a computer. I'm looking at "Pianoteq on a Pi" as an ideal option but my current system isn't stable enough at the moment. I'd like to give your configuration a try and I wanted to ask you and those who have tried the config if it is indeed stable enough for a concert (I'm playing lush jazz chords and I tend to keep my feet on the sustain pedal ) If so, what are you recommended settings for live? (e.g. not use built-in reverb etc.)

My setup:

RPi4 8gb
Pisound (hat DAC)
Heatsinks on the Pi
No case or fan yet (I've not found a good option that can accomodate Pisound)
VMK188Plus controller to change settings via midi CC
(I think I will probably have a backup keyboard with built-in sounds just in case)

Thank you for your time!

All the best,

jedd

Last edited by DrJedd (04-06-2021 21:11)

Hello!

I'm happy to report I did said gig with Youfou's Pianoteq install script and a little bit of tweaking around for best performance with my system. It worked like a charm, and even got some praise. What a pleasure to get a good piano sound on stage without bringing a laptop or a Nord Stage

The next steps are going to be building an aluminium case bridged directly with the CPU to act as heatsink, and fiddling around with Jack (or Pipewire ? ) to get more MIDI and audio routing options.

Thanks again Youfou for your script and kingfisher for documenting your process.

Keep on pianotin'

jedd

Hi YouFou,
when I saw your pianoteq-pi I thought that´s just what I`m looking for. But when I looked closer it appears that my setup doesn´t meet the requirements since you stated:
This is an early version, only tested on Raspberry Pi 4B + Raspberry Pi OS 64bit + Pianoteq 7 Stage & Standard edition.

I´m using a RPi4B but when I checked with /proc/cpuinfo the CPU type is ARMv7 rev3 (v7l) which is only 32 bit!
Also I´m using PianoTeq 6 not PT7.

So my questions are:
a) will your solution work with my setup?
b) will the performance be improved (64bit OS on 32bit CPU)?

I´d greatly appreciate your opinion.
Regards BlueTommy

BlueTommy wrote:

Hi YouFou,
when I saw your pianoteq-pi I thought that´s just what I`m looking for. But when I looked closer it appears that my setup doesn´t meet the requirements since you stated:
This is an early version, only tested on Raspberry Pi 4B + Raspberry Pi OS 64bit + Pianoteq 7 Stage & Standard edition.

I´m using a RPi4B but when I checked with /proc/cpuinfo the CPU type is ARMv7 rev3 (v7l) which is only 32 bit!

So my questions are:

Regards BlueTommy

I don't believe the script is going to work with 32-bit OS, and even if you manage to install on a 32-bit OS the performance will be nowhere near what the 64-bit version gives.
Why not download the 64-bit Raspberry OS and do this the right way? https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspi...021-05-28/

kingfisher wrote:
BlueTommy wrote:

Hi YouFou,

So my questions are:

Regards BlueTommy

I don't believe the script is going to work with 32-bit OS, and even if you manage to install on a 32-bit OS the performance will be nowhere near what the 64-bit version gives.
Why not download the 64-bit Raspberry OS and do this the right way? https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspi...021-05-28/

@Kingfisher
Thank you for your reply but my original questions were:
a) will the 64-bit OS work correctly on a 32-bit CPU ?
b) and if it works will the performance be improved (i.e. better than the 32-bit OS) ?
You imply (why not ... do this the right way?) that the answer to both questions is yes. Is that correct?

/would this also work on the Elk Audio OS for Raspberry Pi?

BlueTommy wrote:
kingfisher wrote:
BlueTommy wrote:

Hi YouFou,

So my questions are:

Regards BlueTommy

@Kingfisher
b) and if it works will the performance be improved (i.e. better than the 32-bit OS) ?
You imply (why not ... do this the right way?) that the answer to both questions is yes. Is that correct?

Hi BlueTommy
I don't believe your CPU is actually 32 bit (even though it claims to be), see this post on the Raspberry site: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view...p?t=245846
And yes the performance will be significantlyt improved.
To test you could simply remove your current SD card and install the 64 bit OS on a new card, The script will work with both V6 and V7 of Pianoteq.

kingfisher wrote:
BlueTommy wrote:
kingfisher wrote:

@Kingfisher

Hi BlueTommy
I don't believe your CPU is actually 32 bit (even though it claims to be), see this post on the Raspberry site: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view...p?t=245846
And yes the performance will be significantlyt improved.
To test you could simply remove your current SD card and install the 64 bit OS on a new card, The script will work with both V6 and V7 of Pianoteq.

Hi Kingfisher,
thank you for the info. I´ll certainly give it a try.

Looking forward to run this on the upcoming Raspberry 5 Model.

I hope you could help please?

I wish to set up a pi (Pi4B 8gb) to run both Pianoteq and organteq, so that when it is installed in to it's particular instrument case with a 15.6" touch panel, the software can be used with a studiologic SL88 Studio master keyboard.

I note that there's a good few instructions here as to the original post where setting it up as headless is part of the configuration, Do you have a way of a GUI based setup or could you please walk me through what I need to do to set up. please understand that I am blind so using a screen reader and will be using terminal a fair bit for some of the work. I'm not linux proficient.

I note that you're advising the 64 bit of the Raspberry Pi OS. now my unit does not have room for a fan cooler so I'm worried about overclocking the system without enough cooling support.

Blind Music Producer, Composer, pianist and Church Organist. Accessibility development specialist for MacOS. Developing a solution for blind organists to have an accessible digital organ solution.

Thank you so much for the Script youfou and the others for the discussion! I bought a Raspberry Pi 4  4GB and Pianoteq 7 Stage and did everything exactly like in the description above. However, I have significant latency (perhaps 0,3s) and I'm wondering if that is normal. The midi hardware works without noticeable latency running Pianoteq on my Mac. I also messed arround with the different Overclockings, all settings of Pianoteq and finally with JACK (which I hardly understand and only got heavily distorted sound with it independend from any settings I found there).

Can anybody help me with further ideas that I could try or something that I possibly missed? (e.g. different drivers or soundcard like pisound necessary?)

Pianofan wrote:

Thank you so much for the Script youfou and the others for the discussion! I bought a Raspberry Pi 4  4GB and Pianoteq 7 Stage and did everything exactly like in the description above. However, I have significant latency (perhaps 0,3s) and I'm wondering if that is normal. The midi hardware works without noticeable latency running Pianoteq on my Mac. I also messed arround with the different Overclockings, all settings of Pianoteq and finally with JACK (which I hardly understand and only got heavily distorted sound with it independend from any settings I found there).

Can anybody help me with further ideas that I could try or something that I possibly missed? (e.g. different drivers or soundcard like pisound necessary?)

Are you running your midi input hardware through JACK? That could be the source of your latency, I think most of us with Pi4s use the "Direct Hardware Device without any conversions" Pianoteq device setting (generally this will be ALSA rather than JACK). Also the onboard sound on the Pi4 is rather poor quality, you'll probably want an external sound card or Pi HAT instead.

On raspbian bullseye, because changes were made to the default "pi" user and group, this script doesn't work straight out of the box anymore. However, by slightly altering the setup.py file it still works like a charm! (tested on the 64bit version) here's how:  change all the paths in setup.py from "/home/pi/..."  to "/home/MyUserName/..."   (if you're working from the home directory) ,  and at the end of the script there are some lines referring to "pi:pi" . just change these to "MyUserName:MyUserName". Hope this helps someone out.   @Youfou thanks a lot for making this!!

Hey! Thank you very much for these instructions. Everything works great. However I can't get Pianoteq to automatically start when the Pi booted up. How do I do this? I tried following different tutorials, but nothing works.

Hi guys,

does anyone run Pianoteq 8 on a Raspberry Pi 4 (64bit)? I have tried out but the app didn't start. Pianoteq 7 works well.

Kontrabass wrote:

Hi guys,

does anyone run Pianoteq 8 on a Raspberry Pi 4 (64bit)? I have tried out but the app didn't start. Pianoteq 7 works well.

I don't have a Raspberry but I own a odroid N2, then I'll give a try an let you know!

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

Kontrabass wrote:

Hi guys,

It plays the blues demo flawless on a T95Max with Armbian

CPU: Amlogic S905X3 64-bit quad core ARM® Cortex™ A55

however I had to start it from the terminal - starting from the file manager didn't work...

It didn't work for me... i'm not technical unfortunately. The command terminal seemed to execute the script explained on this forrum ok, it said it was installed, but no shortcut on desktop (nor after reboot) hopefully this gets fixed

Last edited by Blouies (18-11-2022 08:58)

I am trying to install PianoTeq 8 on a Raspberry Pi 4 but when I run the setup.py script it comes up with this error:

System version:

Raspberry Pi OS arm-64bit (2023-05-03)

Specify install location for Pianoteq

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/steve/Pi/Pianoteq/setup.py", line 320, in <module>
    with dbm.open(CONFIG_PATH, 'c') as db:
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/dbm/__init__.py", line 95, in open
    return mod.open(file, flag, mode)
_dbm.error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/pi/.config/pianoteq-pi.dbm'

Has anyone successfully installed version 8 using this script or am I doing something completely wrong.

Thanks for your help

Steve

Yannick wrote:

On raspbian bullseye, because changes were made to the default "pi" user and group, this script doesn't work straight out of the box anymore. However, by slightly altering the setup.py file it still works like a charm! (tested on the 64bit version) here's how:  change all the paths in setup.py from "/home/pi/..."  to "/home/MyUserName/..."   (if you're working from the home directory) ,  and at the end of the script there are some lines referring to "pi:pi" . just change these to "MyUserName:MyUserName". Hope this helps someone out.   @Youfou thanks a lot for making this!!

@SoundSteve the default username on the RaspberryPi is no longer pi as the script assumes so you need to edit it as described above.

Thanks guys! The updated script worked like a charm on the latest RaspberryPi OS with a brand new RaspberryPi 5.

To make it a tad easier for non-coders, I created a pull request including the discussed changes: https://github.com/youfou/pianoteq-pi/pull/8

Until "youfou" includes these changes, you can just use my version: https://github.com/Hillcow/pianoteq-pi/tree/main

Be aware that you need to download the correct version of the script. You just have to change the following line for the terminal to download my version and then execute it:

wget -qO setup.py https://github.com/Hillcow/pianoteq-pi/blob/main/setup.py && sudo python3 setup.py

Fully tested and 100% working.

I did not update the overclock section. If you have a Pi 5, just choose to not overclock. Not necessary for the Pi 5 anyway. But if you want me to, I could update that section for the Pi 5 as well to overclock the CPU to 3.000MHz (default is 2400). As it is now, you would effectively underclock your CPU, if you were to choose 2.000

Last edited by hillcow (12-02-2024 11:46)
Casio GP-300

Hello.
I am receiving an error while executing hillcow's above script.

<title>pianoteq-pi/setup.py at main · Hillcow/pianoteq-pi · GitHub</title>
                                                         ^
SyntaxError: invalid character '·' (U+00B7)

I am running RPI 5 with a clean install of Raspbian 64.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by OhmGroan (21-04-2024 13:59)

Kontrabass wrote:

Hi guys,

I don't have a Raspberry Pi, but I own an Odroid N2. I'll give it a try and let you know!