Topic: MIDI CC settings are lost. EDIT: solved

Hello again, I have managed to program a Launchpad to pull out stops via MIDI CC. However, everything is forgotten when I have to restart Organteq and it reverts to Note Ons. Is this only for the trial version, or a bug?

Last edited by CuriousDan (25-02-2021 08:06)

Re: MIDI CC settings are lost. EDIT: solved

CuriousDan wrote:

Hello again, I have managed to program a Launchpad to pull out stops via MIDI CC.

How did you do that? What method did you use (within Organteq)? Window --> Stop edit, to assign a MIDI event?

CuriousDan wrote:

However, everything is forgotten when I have to restart Organteq and it reverts to Note Ons. Is this only for the trial version, or a bug?

Did you save the custom MIDI mapping? Window --> MIDI mappings

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
CuriousDan wrote:

Hello again, I have managed to program a Launchpad to pull out stops via MIDI CC.

How did you do that? What method did you use (within Organteq)? Window --> Stop edit, to assign a MIDI event?

CuriousDan wrote:

However, everything is forgotten when I have to restart Organteq and it reverts to Note Ons. Is this only for the trial version, or a bug?

Did you save the custom MIDI mapping? Window --> MIDI mappings

I saved the preset but don't know how to save MIDI mappings. I hope the loss of settings only applies to Trial.

1. Connect the Launchpad to Components, go to Widgets and drop the CC button widget over 10 pads.
2. In the menu at right choose an unassigned CC number for each pad (green from list: https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/...l1euq5.pdf ), pad mode TOGGLE.
3. Save and send to Launchpad (I chose custom mode 3)
4. Put the Launchpad in User mode and in Organteq, right-click a stop - click "Assign MIDI Event" - press a pad.

My Launchpad model is Mini MK3, don't know if there are differences

https://youtu.be/EmDb4eZhj6I

Last edited by CuriousDan (22-02-2021 22:42)

CuriousDan wrote:

I saved the preset but don't know how to save MIDI mappings.

That could easily be your mistake. You should assign MIDI events that are received by Organteq from the Launchpad to specific Organteq functions or parameters, and then save that custom MIDI mapping (consult the Organteq manual) for use when you launch Organteq again.

--

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
CuriousDan wrote:

That could easily be your mistake. You should assign MIDI events that are received by Organteq from the Launchpad to specific Organteq functions or parameters, and then save that custom MIDI mapping (consult the Organteq manual) for use when you launch Organteq again.

As part of my testing of Organteq, I was running the application as a VST in Carla with a virtual keyboard application running and connected to Organteq. I was wondering why the lower and upper keys of the virtual keyboard ie those outside of the range of the console, toggled the 10 stops on the Grand Orgue console.

Your comment about saving Custom Midi mapping and the Organteq manual pointed me at the Action Mapping window and suddenly I realised why the stops were being pulled on a keypress and also, after a bit of fiddling around, how powerful this window is in terms of pre-progamming the Organteq application. It is a tool box full of functions to play with.

Section 2.9. "Adapt Organteq to your MIDI setup" in the Organteq manual mentions Action Mapping in passing, but really doesn't cover the wide variety of things that can be setup and also what you need to do to make them work properly.

I can see endless hours of innocent amusement poking around in this interesting window. However, a bit more of an explanation in the manual about its joys would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Pianoteq 8 Studio plus all Instrument packs; Organteq 2; Debian; Reaper; Carla

mprimrose wrote:

Your comment about saving Custom Midi mapping and the Organteq manual pointed me at the Action Mapping window and suddenly I realised why the stops were being pulled on a keypress and also, after a bit of fiddling around, how powerful this window is in terms of pre-progamming the Organteq application. It is a tool box full of functions to play with.

Organteq and Pianoteq are both very full-featured and versatile with regard to MIDI mapping, and in addition to the MIDI mappings --> Action mapping pane, where MIDI events can be assigned to control a variety of functions and then saved as a custom MIDI map, a right-click on many user-interface widgets includes a MIDI dropdown menu.

--

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Organteq and Pianoteq are both very full-featured and versatile with regard to MIDI mapping, and in addition to the MIDI mappings --> Action mapping pane, where MIDI events can be assigned to control a variety of functions and then saved as a custom MIDI map, a right-click on many user-interface widgets includes a MIDI dropdown menu.

I would agree with you that Organteq is very full featured and versatile with regard to MIDI mapping both in terms the Action Mapping pane and the right click on the user-interface widgets. The point I was trying to make however, was that the functionality of the Action mapping pane is not discussed in any great detail in the Organteq manual, which I read through before testing, and that I stumbled on its abilities as a MIDI toolbox, more by happenstance than by design.

I was suggesting that the Section 2.9. "Adapt Organteq to your MIDI setup" in the Organteq manual ought to be expanded, so that new users who are unfamiliar with the product can get an idea of what this Action mapping pane can do, rather than just blindly poking around under the bonnet, as I did. I do realise, from experience, that writing comprehensive user manuals for an application is the least enjoyable of jobs, especially after the excitement of successfully designing and implementing an application, but I do think that this is one area where, with a bit of work and a few diagrams and examples, a lot of useful information, for the user, could be included in the documentation.

Michael

Pianoteq 8 Studio plus all Instrument packs; Organteq 2; Debian; Reaper; Carla

mprimrose wrote:

... The point I was trying to make however, was that the functionality of the Action mapping pane is not discussed in any great detail in the Organteq manual, which I read through before testing, and that I stumbled on its abilities as a MIDI toolbox, more by happenstance than by design.

I was suggesting that the Section 2.9. "Adapt Organteq to your MIDI setup" in the Organteq manual ought to be expanded, so that new users who are unfamiliar with the product can get an idea of what this Action mapping pane can do, rather than just blindly poking around under the bonnet, as I did. ...

Ah, good point. And yes, writing manuals, parts of which become outdated or need revision as a product is developed, must be among the most tedious and frustrating tasks in existence.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (24-02-2021 15:49)
--

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
CuriousDan wrote:

Silly me! I should have saved the MIDI mappings, but didn't see that little arrow under the name.... Thanks!
Now, on with the MIDI mapping...
https://i.imgur.com/EdwoyrRl.jpg

Last edited by CuriousDan (25-02-2021 08:07)