Topic: New MACs on ARM CPU's - Pianoteq on IOS

Apple is replacing Intel CPU's with ARM versions. This means that  MAC's and iPads/iPhones will be using the same or similar chipsets. e.g. A14x on iPad Pro and A14z on MAC (I just made up those models :-) )

This means that the source code and binaries for the platforms will be very similar. So holding thumbs that Pianoteq will arrive on IOS.

Re: New MACs on ARM CPU's - Pianoteq on IOS

Irmin wrote:

Apple is replacing Intel CPU's with ARM versions. This means that  MAC's and iPads/iPhones will be using the same or similar chipsets. e.g. A14x on iPad Pro and A14z on MAC (I just made up those models :-) )

This means that the source code and binaries for the platforms will be very similar. So holding thumbs that Pianoteq will arrive on IOS.

Waiting for a statement by Modartt during the next week. The first Apple Silicon Macs will be introduced in 2 days.
AND my iMac is 10years old, the MacBookPro 11.
So could Moddart pls hurry up.

(And I can't refrain myself from writing this: IF they had done an iOS version the would be almost done with the MacOS 11 version.

I'm not sure the move from Intel to ARM will be without some headaches (remember the Motorola to Intel transition...) Personally, I will certainly not hurry...
But sure I'm not in the "I want the last Mac. Now." category ;-)
I'll keep my Airbook for a while, alongside my "other Intel" (Windows) machines.

I am very tempted by one of the new mac minis, so I look forward to finding out whether Pianoteq 7 will work on it. Will the base model be sufficient?

Last edited by Ruby (11-11-2020 16:15)

Ruby wrote:

I am very tempted by one of the new mac minis, so I look forward to finding out whether Pianoteq 7 will work on it. Will the base model be sufficient?

Well if pianoteq runs on Big Sur (and I’m pretty sure it does from posts on gearslutz) then it will run on the new macs - how well is the question.

Interesting question indeed.
I have to admit that the new Macbook Air is a tempting machine, even more so if you consider that it's about the same price as a new iPhone !!!

rAC wrote:
Ruby wrote:

Well if pianoteq runs on Big Sur (and I’m pretty sure it does from posts on gearslutz) then it will run on the new macs - how well is the question.

That is indeed the question.

If Pianoteq 6 and 7 run on x86 binaries, they can be used on Apple Silicon MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini through the Rosetta 2 translation. However if there is an iOS version of PTQ, then this can then run natively on ASi.

I'm planning to buy a Mac Mini when it becomes available in my country, and possibly I'll try to load PTQ on it, and post my experience on it in this forum.

Last edited by studiosnch (12-11-2020 13:21)

I’m also very curious to see what Modartt’s plans are regarding its long-term plans for the Mac platform. Rosetta 2 will work for a couple of years I would guess, but beyond that Modartt would need to have an Apple Silicon version to stay on the Mac platform. Since the Linux/ARM version of Pianoteq is already available, Modartt should be able to ship an ARM-based version of Pianoteq on short notice.

The Scoring Notes blog recently had a post about how some scoring software will make the change, and mentioned that applications using QT won’t be ready to transition to Apple native until next year:

“For instance, it does not appear that Qt, the cross-platform application framework upon which Sibelius, Dorico, and Musescore are dependent, will be updated to natively support M1 until later in 2021, which means these products will likely be running under Rosetta on M1-powered Macs for a good while to come. (When an application is released with both native Intel and Apple Silicon support, it will be packaged as a “Universal 2 Binary”.)”

IIRC, Pianoteq has been written using the JUCE framework since version 3. I haven’t seen any word of how JUCE will handle the Intel to Apple Silicon transition, but the Audio Developers Conference (put on by JUCE) is next week, so hopefully more information will become available soon.

Philippe/Julien: are you ready to share any details of your plans for the Mac transition to Apple Silicon?

tfort wrote:

Philippe/Julien: are you ready to share any details of your plans for the Mac transition to Apple Silicon?

The current version runs fine on Apple Silicon, thanks to rosetta 2 which works very well. We will publish a x86_64/arm64 universal binary version of Pianoteq very soon.

julien wrote:
tfort wrote:

The current version runs fine on Apple Silicon, thanks to rosetta 2 which works very well. We will publish a x86_64/arm64 universal binary version of Pianoteq very soon.

Great to hear! I couldn't have hoped for better response. (I'm about to order a new M1 Macbook air).

Last edited by sharpnine (12-11-2020 22:49)

julien wrote:
tfort wrote:

Does this mean a ios port will be available in the future? This would really be a great addition to the already big list of music software for ios.

julien wrote:
tfort wrote:

Very much looking forward to arm64. Keep up the good work.

julien wrote:
tfort wrote:

I concur, this is definitely great to hear, and thank you for your transparency.

Still waiting optimistically for when I can play Pianoteq on a portable controller from my iPad or iPhone, and believing the days isn't too far away...

tfort wrote:
julien wrote:
tfort wrote:

I concur, this is definitely great to hear, and thank you for your transparency.

Still waiting optimistically for when I can play Pianoteq on a portable controller from my iPad or iPhone, and believing the days isn't too far away...

This would be great. I use an iPad for all my sheet music and chord charts. If I could simultaneously run Pianoteq there as well, that would be perfect.

julien wrote:
tfort wrote:

Awesome … I've got an M1 MacMini on the way!

julien wrote:
tfort wrote:

Does this mean we'd be able to install PTQ7 on iPad Pro?

Ruby wrote:

I’m pretty sure the base mac mini would be a blast, not just sufficient. Fast as hell without even hear the noise from the fan. I’m just wondering whether to go for 16gb of ram just for the sake of the machine longevity.

Of course the new mini is going to be more than sufficient! I am still using a 2012 quad core mini, and is's still keeping up with PT7 (even at 96KHz, if I keep polyphony down to 96 and buffer to 192). BTW, I am thinking of getting the new mini too, and will definitely order it with 16gb of ram...because it cannot be upgraded later.

Jim7S wrote:
Ruby wrote:

I’m pretty sure the base mac mini would be a blast, not just sufficient. Fast as hell without even hear the noise from the fan. I’m just wondering whether to go for 16gb of ram just for the sake of the machine longevity.

Last edited by aWc (21-11-2020 21:49)
PT 7.3 with Steinway B and D, U4 upright, YC5, Bechstein DG, Steingraeber, Ant. Petrov, Kremsegg Collection #2, Electric Pianos and Hohner Collection. http://antoinewcaron.com

I bought Mac mini with new M1 a couple days ago - runs really well with PT7. I upgraded from a quite recent Macbook Air (2017) and performance boost is significant, including materially 'pushing' PT7 parameters & running heavy Logic sessions. Impressed so far with value for money - close to a game changer for my use case / budget

A warning though for would be M1 early adopters : I was fortunate keeping a class compliant audio interface as back-up, as my main go to audio interface (UAD) is not compatible yet with uncertain timelines for certified M1/Big sur drivers...

well you cannot have your cake and eat it too i guess - overall, risk/benefit seems to be worth the trouble moving early so far

Burakim wrote:

A warning though for would be M1 early adopters : I was fortunate keeping a class compliant audio interface as back-up, as my main go to audio interface (UAD) is not compatible yet with uncertain timelines for certified M1/Big sur drivers...

well you cannot have your cake and eat it too i guess - overall, risk/benefit seems to be worth the trouble moving early so far

Agreed Burakim!  I bought a Mac Mini and ended up sending it back a couple of days ago due to incompatibility issues.  Such a shame as it's a lovely piece of kit.  I'll possibly dip my toes again in a few months when other companies have had a chance to try and get to grips with it.

In my case, I had issues with Logitech mouse and keyboard which I could have got around by purchasing Apple M&K but most critical was my Focusrite 18i20 which wouldn't work on the M1 chip (it's fine under Big Sur, it's the silicon that's the issue).  For those who also own Focusrite audio interfaces, this was the note that the company put out a few days ago:

Update: 24th November 2020

At time of writing Focusrite products are not supported on Apple Silicon-based Mac systems as we are aware of some issues.

Once we have completed verification of the compatibility status of our current products we will update this article, until then we would recommend against relying on using such a system in conjunction with your Focusrite product.

Pianoteq 7 Pro / Surface Pro7
Kawai MP11 / Roland Integra 7 / Focusrite 18i20 3G / Genelec 8341 & 7350 SAM

BTMASS wrote:

For those who also own Focusrite audio interfaces, this was the note that the company put out a few days ago:

Update: 24th November 2020

At time of writing Focusrite products are not supported on Apple Silicon-based Mac systems as we are aware of some issues.

Once we have completed verification of the compatibility status of our current products we will update this article, until then we would recommend against relying on using such a system in conjunction with your Focusrite product.

Focusrite driver support is not good IMO, and will likely send me elsewhere when the time comes to replace my Saffire Pro 26 which won't even work under Mojave

Ben Crosland wrote:

Focusrite driver support is not good IMO, and will likely send me elsewhere when the time comes to replace my Saffire Pro 26 which won't even work under Mojave

I have only owned my Focusrite 18i20 for a few months so have no clue about their longer term abilities wrt to driver updates etc. To be fair, it appeared that the Mac Mini could see/recognise the Focusrite, I could clearly see it's entry under the USB connections.  It was just the Focusrite Control software told me there was no equipment connected.  Frankly, I have no idea whether it was Big Sur or the new silicon which didn't want to play.

I called Apple tech to try and troubleshoot it but the response was I should have checked all my equipment/software for compatibility conformity before purchase.  Luckily, their returns policy is first class but as I said previously I may have another go a few months' down the line when Logitech and Focusrite have had a chance to look at the M1/Big Sur combos.

PT7 loaded under Rosetta 2 just fine.

BTW - any idea whether MOTO driver support is any better?  I have a MOTU M4 sitting around that I could use at a push.

https://motu.com/en-us/news/motu-and-macos-big-sur/

It looks like your MOTU M4 might be a good idea

Luc Henrion wrote:

https://motu.com/en-us/news/motu-and-macos-big-sur/

It looks like your MOTU M4 might be a good idea

Thanks Luc.  Much appreciated.

Hi guys,
for information, my back-up is a Focusrite Scarlett 2nd gen - working flawlessly (as confirmed on Focusrite site) with M1/BS under Logic - so your mileage may vary and best to check before to committ to a buy - also update policies vary wildly from 'beta version from day one' to "full certification done when it is done" :-)

no notable hiccups to report - apple mini still delivering smoothly on a couple logic projects now, all with extensive PTQ7 use - trade off still good, though i will be happy leveraging again UAD DSP /plug-ins for voice / guitar / bass recording - got a "pro" feel that Logic off the shelves tools do no quite achieve - but hey plenty of things to do with shiny new PTQ7 while waiting :-)

One closing comment looking back at major PC / MAC evolutions over time - always strike me to face the same sequence whenever OS / architecture change - do not want to trivialize coping with major changes (and apple move is no small joke) - but the techno / business model shenanigans too often end up with perfect storm for end user such as a good chunk of the industry advise you to 'always run 2 OS behind' - a bit anticlimatic ...

All the more impressive for Modartt / PTQ to run like a charm day 1...kudos

The topic of music software on iPads is in discussion again over at the Piano World Digital Piano forum:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads....ost3052594

Much of the discussion centers around Pianoteq on iOS. I posted there and pointed to this thread, and am doing the reverse here.

My suggestions for Modarrt, for the record:
Stage on iOS; $50 with one instrument included
Upgrade to Standard: $50
Upgrade to Pro: $100 from Stage, $50 from Standard
Individual Instruments: $20

Apple is now also offering developers discounts for subscriptions, and upgrade pricing is available if not simple to implement (see Omni
Groups apps model for example, they are leading the way in this regard: https://support.omnigroup.com/buying-iOS-apps/)