Topic: Minimal organ rig + first pieces

Hi,

I really like the sound of organteq and would be interested to play organ pieces. What I don't want to do is spend tons of money on equipment.
I currently have a Studiologic SL88 Grand and a Korg Microkey 61. Neither is optimal for playing the organ and combining they might be weird with the different key sizes and mechanics... (but I will give it a go with the demo)
I do have a midi button board, so that's a start for switching the pipes.

So my questions:

1) does not having foot pedals reduce the fun of organ playing a lot?
2) what makes a good minimal organ rig in your opinion?
3) are relatively simple pieces that I can play on the demo without too may notes missing that make use of an organs unique features? (I currently play Bach's Goldberg Variation 1, Two part invention 13 and a piano version of the Arioso from BWV 1056).

Regards,

Markus

Re: Minimal organ rig + first pieces

Some answers that are hopefully somewhat helpful.

1. It depends. Most organ music is written for hands and feet (manuals and pedal). There is a decent amount of music for 'manuals only' that doesn't need pedals. For me, it would reduce my fun a bit because my feet have become a 'third hand' and make it easier for me to play things. Many organs also have a 'Bass Coupler' that plays the pedal stops with the lowest note played on the Great. I'm not sure if Organteq has implemented that feature, yet.

2. This one depends on what you want to do. For me, I needed to practice and wanted to learn how to use the pedals well. So, I needed a setup that matched American Guild of Organists (AGO) spec because all of the organs I perform on (or will perform on) are (or will probably be) AGO. It's possible to match AGO spec with a couple of keyboards and a pedalboard placed in the right relative positions and I know of people who have done that. It was just easier for me to buy an AGO organ console and add midi to it. If you're not planning on performing on different organs (or you don't have space), you probably don't need a full 32-note pedalboard or even a setup that matches any particular layout. Having a standard layout makes it so that I don't have to look at my feet or hands while I play. I can play on non-standard organs but it does take a little time to get used to.

3. I'm not sure about good pieces for the demo version. I would imagine that many songs in the keys of C, Am, G, and Dm would work relatively well. Very far away from those keys and some of the chords in the progression will have missing notes. I find it really weird when bass notes are missing.

Last edited by samibe (28-05-2020 20:54)