Topic: Midi Channel Problem when using as a VST?

I have set up Organteq in standalone mode with my Novation 61SLMKIII controller such that I can select different templates on the Novation, and different MIDI channels are sent from the controller.

In Organteq, this maps to the different manuals, works great!

When I open Organteq within Ableton Live as a VST, things are not working as expected.

Within Ableton Live itself, the MIDI selector on the track indicates that MIDI is indeed coming from the different channels I set up on my controller.  I've also got a pedal board, and see MIDI coming into Live on the channel I set that controller to as well.

Within Organteq, however, the MIDI debug window in the "Action mapping" tab shows that everything is coming into the VST on Channel 1.

Edit:  I tried the Audio Unit version of the plug-in as well, same issue.

Last edited by Ryan0751 (24-04-2020 12:28)

Re: Midi Channel Problem when using as a VST?

Are you sure Ableton Live supports multitimbral VSTs (that can receive on separate MIDI channels)? I have exactly this issue in Reason, and it turned out to be a limitation in the DAW, not in the Organteq plugin.

To make Organteq work in Reason, I had to create four instances of the plugin and map one of my four MIDI keyboards to each plugin. That, naturally, broke things like the Crecendo pedal (which I don't really use, but that's me). On the other hand, I now have separate swell control pedal per keyboard, as I wish I had when running Oranteq stand-alone. I am also able to tweak the reverb a tad per keyboard (to, say, make the Récit more airy, as if it was further away).

Posted from my organ...

Daniel W wrote:

Are you sure Ableton Live supports multitimbral VSTs (that can receive on separate MIDI channels)? I have exactly this issue in Reason, and it turned out to be a limitation in the DAW, not in the Organteq plugin.

To make Organteq work in Reason, I had to create four instances of the plugin and map one of my four MIDI keyboards to each plugin. That, naturally, broke things like the Crecendo pedal (which I don't really use, but that's me). On the other hand, I now have separate swell control pedal per keyboard, as I wish I had when running Oranteq stand-alone. I am also able to tweak the reverb a tad per keyboard (to, say, make the Récit more airy, as if it was further away).

That very well may be the case... I'll have to search around to see if that is the case.

Ryan0751 wrote:
Daniel W wrote:

That very well may be the case... I'll have to search around to see if that is the case.

So on further investigation, multitimbral VST's can be used in Ableton... but it requires a little bit more work.  You need to create multiple tracks for each MIDI channel and use routing to get things set up.

I haven't actually tried it out yet, but it looks like it's possible.

Ryan0751 wrote:

So on further investigation, multitimbral VST's can be used in Ableton... but it requires a little bit more work.  You need to create multiple tracks for each MIDI channel and use routing to get things set up.

I haven't actually tried it out yet, but it looks like it's possible.

It is possible!

As you said, you have to have one MIDI track for Organteq VST and one more MIDI track for each channel you wish to use.

This is an example setup in Ableton for manual on channel 2 and pedal on channel 3:

1. MIDI track with Organteq VST – "1-Organteq"
    - MIDI from: No input
    - Audio to: [ Master ]

2. MIDI track for Manual (empty)
    - MIDI from:
         - Input type: [ your controller / All inputs ]
         - Input channel: 2
    - MIDI to:
         - Output type: "1-Organteq"
         - Output channel: "2-Organteq"

3. MIDI track for Pedal (empty)
    - MIDI from: