Topic: Fazioli FXPs

I've added presets for the F278 and two F308s to the FXP Corner.
https://forum.modartt.com/file/8mhzvbp6
https://forum.modartt.com/file/b3adxt09
https://forum.modartt.com/file/3b3zy0n7

The F278 is their semi-concert grand, though it's bigger than most concert grands...   It and the F308 have a very nice clean and slightly warm tone.  The 308 is the largest generally available piano on the market.  The longer string length gives a stronger bass range and less inharmonicity.  There is a 333cm piano from Borgato (the Grand Prix 333), designed in 2017, but I don't know how many have actually been made or shipped (and they're twice as expensive as the F308).  The first F308 prototype debuted in 1987.

Fazioli instruments are known for nice separation of notes, especially in inner voices, and recommend for recital material of Bach, Busoni, Rachmaninoff, or other "contrapuntal" styles of music.  Overall I like Fazioli sound, especially the projection strength of the 308 is much greater than even a Steinway D, so I prefer them for Orchestra/Concerto work, if they're available, but I sometimes prefer richer (in my opinion) sounds from Bluethner or Boesendorfer for general recital material.  It all depends on my mood...

Each piano has the Mozart Rail since it most resembles the function of the Fazioli Half-blow which works similar to an upright half-blow (though the pedal order should be different as it's Half-blow > Una Corda > Sostenuto > Damper on Faziolis but I didn't want to bother with changing MIDI I/O but I may change it to the regular Fazioli order in a future version).  In this version pedal order is Una Corda > Half-blow (Mozart Rail), Sostenuto, and Damper/Sustain.

Paolo Fazioli started the company back in 1978.  They produce around 140 pianos a year--all of which are of exception build quality.  The marque is quite popular in Europe, the US, and Canada.  (There may be more full-size Fazioli concert grands in my part of the USA than there are comparable Steinways at the moment.)

The F278 was sampled with Busoni's piano roll of Lizst's La Campanella (which students of Busoni don't feel does Busoni's pianism justice but that's a whole differnt debate).
https://forum.modartt.com/download.php?id=3682

The "recital" flavor of the F308 was sampled with a piano roll of Tausig's transcription of Bach's Toccata and Fugue and a piano roll of Chopin's Bb Scherzo, and the "orchestra" flavor was sampled with the arranged piano of Saint-Saëns' 2nd Piano Concerto.  The former is close miked for solo material, and the later has a harder action, more room tone, and farther mics to mix better with an Orchestra.
https://forum.modartt.com/download.php?id=3684
https://forum.modartt.com/download.php?id=3685

https://forum.modartt.com/download.php?id=3687

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2xHiPcCsm29R12HX4eXd4J
Pianoteq Pro & Organteq 2
Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

Re: Fazioli FXPs

thanks a lot for these and your other great fxps, along with the interesting background.  also i really appreciate the microphone configurations, those are really helpful.

yes thank you very much for sharing these with us.
very kind of you.   

chasmanian wrote:

yes thank you very much for sharing these with us.
very kind of you.   

+1

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

Yes, this presentation and these Fazioli .fxp are really interesting
while this Piano model is still missing in Pianoteq.

Bruno

Little illustration of the real thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIMLf_9...=emb_title

Man, tmyoung, in light of Bruno’s post (above), your presets might pass as accurate representations, indeed.  Each is virtually indistinguishable from the real thing it mimics  —a Fazioli!

For some reason you neglect to name and specify your part of the USA, just where the Fazioli is preferable to the Steinway.  It appears nowhere in a MODARTT or PIANOTEQ Profile.

Note edit: to include the word, “Virtually.”

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (13-02-2020 22:31)
Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

You're all extremely kind!

I'm in Northern Utah, just south of Salt Lake City.  Because of Rick Baldassin, who is the main piano guru in our area--offering concert services to the Utah Symphony and now overseeing Brigham Young University's piano technicians, in addition to having his own piano sales outfit in one of the Salt Lake suburbs, he's the main reason that Fazioli is quite big in the area.  He's consulted for them before and--as far as I'm aware--no longer sells new Steinways, so--since there really isn't any major competition for new concert instruments in the area, most sales of new instruments are Schimmels, Boesendorfers, or Faziolis--courtesy of Rick.  BYU has two Faziolis (a 308 in the orchestra recital hall and a 278--I think--in the regular recital hall at the music school); Rick has a 308 rental that usually ends up doing symphony performances or recitals (and he had another one which was lost in a major fire at a local venue); and there are a number of 308s in private hands in the area--I personally know a couple of the owners (and no I don't know how they afforded it ).  Steinway has been doing much less marketing in our area (or in general) since being taken over by a Chinese private equity firm, so I don't think you can buy a new instrument in Utah except directly from the New York factory.  While I didn't get a chance to meet him, Paolo Fazioli visited the area a couple of weeks ago to see the F308 and F278 at BYU before heading to NAMM.

We do have a large presence of Yamaha because of "The Piano Guys" and there is a CFX on display at the local Piano Gallery sales center.  Most churches or small halls have vintage Kawais or newer Shigeru-Kawais, so that market isn't very Steinway-centered either.  I've seen a few Baldwin concert grands and semi-concert grands (most high schools have something along those lines).  In fairness, I see countless Steinway Bs, especially second-hand.  Most professors of piano in the area have a Steinway B in their office/classroom and the wealthiest students have a Steinway B at home.  Utah Valley University is also a Steinway-only school, but I don't know that they have multiple concert grands.  I also see the occasional Model A--there's an interesting 1906 one for sale at the main piano rebuilder/restorer in the area.  In spite of the number of smaller, vintage Steinways, I hardly ever see a full-size D.  While I could easily be wrong as I don't go door-to-door taking a piano census (though wouldn't it be amusing if I could), I would say there are less than a dozen Ds in the state--certainly less than 20 (and there might not be a single Steinway C at all), while there are easily that many Faziolis of the same size.

Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

@tmyoung, can i ask how you are making these?  there is a user (unfortunately can't remember the name) who developed fxps computationally using some sophisticated scripts + Fourier analysis.  that was always very intriguing to me.  i was wondering if you are doing something similar.

@budo I hope to do that eventually, but at the moment my approach is much more analog and trial-and-error.  Usually I comb the internet for audio examples of a specific model usually in a solo recital setting--youtube is extremely helpful because you can often see the mic placement, lid position, and player technique--and then once I find a performance of a piece online that I have a comparable piano roll or midi file of, I A/B test the performance with PTQ for several hours.  If I'm lucky, I can even overdub the results in real-time and listen for beats, overtones, or other resonance hints.  Once I get a result where I basically can't tell which is which, I figure it's good enough to share.

On models like the Faziolis or Baldwins, I've had the opportunity to play them enough that I have a pretty good sense for how the action should feel and how the instrument should sound.  Also, youtube channels like Robert Estrin's LivingPianos.com or James Pavel Shawcross' ThePianoForever are extremely helpful, because they show several different used pianos each month and often demo them with the same microphone setup and same pieces with the same player technique (Robert always plays a little Bach and some of the Chopin G minor Ballade and James usually plays Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu), and their consistency makes the preset design process go more quickly (along with useful asides like the case size, damper travel, action feel, etc. that can be easily ported into PTQ's math as a starting point).  The Chris Maene, which is a new design, or Gaveau FXPs, which are extremely rare, were harder because I had much less reference material than I do for the Faziolis or Baldwins.

Ultimately, on both the Baldwins, Faziolis, Boesendorfers, and some vintage Steinways, I'd like to take the time to record my own sound references so I can do the more precise FFT preset generation, that like you, I've always admired in our community's work.  I need to schedule or rent recording time on some local instruments to hopefully produce better results.  I think it was Gilles that did the FFT work with the PTQ v4 Bluethner turned Boesendorfer, which turned out extremely well and largely inspired me to start using the PTQ engine to emulate as many other piano models as possible. http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/file/3qsjiy8s

So, thank you Gilles!

Casio GP300

tmyoung wrote:

So, thank you Gilles!

You're welcome!
What's great about this forum is we can all contribute according to our various background and abilities...

Very impressed with Fazioli recital. Very powerful. Love the glass-like treble and generous bass.

I played a Fazioli at a Fazioli dealership in the UK about 28 years ago. I loved it's purity.

Then I descovered the promega 3 in a local music store (Lincoln UK) which had samples of a Fazioli. I couldn't afford it but did loved the experience of playing it.

Thank you for these presets. Thank you also to everyone who works hard and then shares on the website and to all the Modartt / Beta testing team(s). It's a great community to which I'm proud to belong,

Warmest regards,

Chris

@tmyoung,
I love these fxp's, using them a lot. But i seems to me you made a mistake with the "Last Damper" setting, as on my system notes played on C4 and up are not damped at all, I think this ought to be the case from C6(?) and up.
Having Standard and not Pro I made it playable by copying in the "Last Damper" setting from another Grand, but would of course prefer a Fazioli-correct setting ;-).

MP11SE, FP30; Pianoteq on Mac, Windows, Linux
Unheard Music Concepts

I think best last damper position is 91 for these Fazioli presets

Warmest regards,

Chris

sigasa wrote:

I think best last damper position is 91 for these Fazioli presets

Warmest regards,

Chris

That's what works for me anyhow, though i too would be interested to know the official last damper position!

@Marc lol!  That was definitely my mistake.  After reading so many piano scaling specification sheets and documentation that use 1 as the lowest A and 88 as the highest C becomes second nature.  So, I was right that authentically the Fazioli F308 stops at 69 and the F278 stops at 71.  I just didn't realize that PTQ uses "C -1" as "0" for both the extended range instruments--like the D and K2 and for everything else too.  The arithmetic means you need to add 20 to the "keyboard" number to get the PTQ number.  Oops!  So in the end, it's 89 and 91, respectively.

@sigasa You're instincts are absolutely correct that the default should be 91 for the F278--like it is on the Steinway D-274.  Fazioli only changes the F308 to have two extra keys without dampers, so it comes in at 89; while there frankly isn't much audible difference, I believe they chose that to give the 308 a very slightly brighter sound and a little more subtle "ringing" in the high overtones for concerto/orchestral performance.  Most modern pianos stick close the Steinway choice for the last damper, I just looked at a Boesendorfer 280VC that would be 92 in PTQ, while the Imperial would be 89 like the F308.  I think we can safely assume that there isn't an active patent for where the damper rail stops, but it's definitely possible that there used to be, which would explain older brands having to use a slightly different key while newer models don't face that same restriction.  While only theoretical, it sounds logical.   Though, it does definitely change the character of a piano's overtones to have the value change by even one key, even if it's quite subtle.  Yet another topic for an essay that I wish Del Fandrich would write.

@Philippe Perhaps we should add a note to the manual and/or the tooltip that "Last Damper" is calculated from the (somewhat arbitrary but mathematically convenient) "C -1" for 0 and any traditional piano note number should have "20" added to it.  Or, in future--though it might change how usable the value is for MIDI integration--we could move to anything below the lowest A for #1 becoming a negative number, which might make data input from historical specifications easier for the forgetful types like me.

As a general aside, I honestly don't know what makers like Boesendorfer, Chris Maene, or Stuart & Sons do on their scaling diagrams or technical literature to deal with this essential difference from most pianos.  In the back of my mind, I seem to remember that Stuart goes with 1 being the lowest of whatever scaling is in use.  I would guess that the other makers do the same, since the information needs to relate to action and having negative numbers there would probably lead to endless confusion for technicians and builders.  It certainly would be interesting to find out!

Here are corrected presets:
https://forum.modartt.com/file/d2bigg7o
https://forum.modartt.com/file/bf4l2szh
https://forum.modartt.com/file/987ckm00

Casio GP300

Regarding last damper setting ... I suggest that the position be stated relative to concert "middle C".  That certainly is the same for any piano ever made.  So the numerical position of the last damper for different brand pianos would be a simple matter of counting up from concert "middle C" rather than the lowest key or notes.

Always looking for enlightenment here!

Lanny

Last edited by LTECpiano (14-02-2020 14:14)

@Lanny  Either that, or even having something in UI that shows the keyboard notes without dampers.  It probably would be trivial to create a note edit for "Last Damper" that visually shows which notes have no damper, or a the main MIDI keyboard on the screen being grayed out on the damper-less notes while editing the Last Damper value.

Casio GP300

Yes ... the latter fxp works better.  However, IMHO, the QuaziFazioli sounds great from middle C down but the fundamental K2 beats it hands down (bad pun) from middle C up.

Lanny

tmyoung wrote:

@Lanny  Either that, or even having something in UI that shows the keyboard notes without dampers.  It probably would be trivial to create a note edit for "Last Damper" that visually shows which notes have no damper, or a the main MIDI keyboard on the screen being grayed out on the damper-less notes while editing the Last Damper value.

Another way to clarify would be to optionally use on Pianoteq's virtual keyboard the same method as in the Organteq keyboard mapping illustration: show the MIDI number on every C key.

@Lanny I'm curious if you prefer the Faziolis with the following settings changed to values in this range:

Unision Width: 1.02 to 1.25
Octave Stretching: 1.02 to 1.13

That will tighten the treble into a more American sound than the European sound.  American technicians will tune pianos to very narrow unisons to give the sound greater power and a brighter, more consistent timbre.  While European technicians will tune Unisons wider to allow more "character" in the sound--because of having more overtones across the instrument compass which are generally more mellow.  This is entirely a matter of personal preference and taste.  While I live in the States, I always want technicians who service my acoustic instruments to create a tuning sound using the European method/tastes rather than the American tradition.  (And yes, they hate it.  Nearly all technicians dread me.)

I suspect that the American preference for a narrower unison width comes from the consistency of notched bridges and the behavior of capo d'astro bars in Steinways.  When bridges are not notched, the strings of trichords have different speaking lengths which naturally increases the unison widths.  My guess is that European pianists and audiences were used to sound of instruments where the bridges lacked notches much longer than American audiences and pianists encountered them (since Steinway has been a near monopoly in the States for 150 years whereas Europe has always had Bluethner, Bechstein, Boesendorfer, and Steinway sharing equally in the market during that same time and Europe has a much longer tradition of keyboard instruments of any description and their performance than North America does).  If that is indeed the case, it would explain why--as all high-end and most low-end pianos have notched bridges today--Europeans want their instrument tuning to retain that particular sound quality of the un-notched bridge by extending the unison width, which usually Continental audiences find "warm" or "inspiring" or "bell-like" when compared to the bright and tight sound of American pianos and Americans (who have had Steinway notched bridges as the exclusive concert sound for over a century) find higher unison width as "out of tune" or "weak" or "rough" when compared to the clean, powerful, and bright American "Steinway" sound.

If that indeed makes the "QuaziFazioli" sound better to your tastes in the treble, it would still be an equally authentic Fazioli sound--albeit a more American treatment than a European treatment which is only at the tuning level, since you're changing what a technician would adjust to please you as a client, rather than changing anything structurally about the scaling of the instrument.  (Which is exactly why I love PTQ, because no other library offers the ability to make adjustments to tuning, unisons or mic placement in the way that Modarrt does!  Nothing like is practical with samples.)

Casio GP300

A couple of videos might shed some light on the seemingly utter demise of Steinway & Sons in northern Utah including Ogden (the location of Weber State University) but with the exception in Orem its Utah Valley University.  That seems its own city-state.  (Possibly now Logan, the location of Utah State University a land grant institution, and Salt Lake City, where University of Utah gymnasts meet and compete, have also few if any Steinway pianos on school grounds.)

1. Problems associated with New York Steinways

2. Steinways with no name on the front

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (19-02-2020 14:38)
Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

@Amen Ptah Ra  Excellent post.  It's particularly interesting regarding the last video, since there is a 1902 Steinway Model A-II (maybe a Model A-III but I think they're from a decade later) at a local dealer/rebuilder that was recently rebuilt to fantastic results.  The resulting piano and sound from the rebuild is amazing, but it appears that they can't call it a Steinway A because of the rebuild components and methodology.  The price is heavily discounted compared to new a model A (and I wouldn't bother a new model A anyway), but they have to call it a "6'2" Steinway" instead of by its model number, and I would assume if they'd done the rebuild more recently they couldn't call it Steinway either.

On a side note, All-Steinway schools aren't actually All-Steinway, only a certain percentage of pianos at the school need to be Steinways to qualify for an application to Steinway for the designation: therefore, both in the case of WSU and UVU, there weren't that many pianos to begin with...   I don't really know what the designation achieves, because Steinway doesn't fund the purchase of those pianos or otherwise subsidize the University, it appears to be only a pat-on-the-back.

BYU (Provo) which is only about 5-10 miles from UVU (Orem) probably has 5 or 6 times as many grand pianos (at least) and at least 20 times as many pianos overall (there's an upright in every small auditorium at BYU), but only about half of the concert instruments are Steinways, the rest are Baldwins, Shigeru-Kawais, Yamahas, and--of course--Faziolis.  Matt Holland, the former president of UVU, recently (between 2009-2011 I think) wanted to see the (small) music school improve in prestige and quality, so he oversaw the fundraising needed to purchase enough new Steinways to make the school a Steinway school.  Though, the last time I attended a concert there in 2013, it was a Steinway B used in a major recital--in a science lecture lab.

UVU has a long way to go before it has the same quality of music facilities that BYU (founded in 1875) or U of U (founded in 1850) have, particularly as it's only been a full University since 2008 and was originally a technical college from its founding in 1961 until 1993.  WSU is also really small when compared to larger music schools like BYU and U of U.  The BYU Music department, on the other hand, has been in the same building since 1965 but the music school (depending on how you count the start of the department) dates back to the 1870s.  That building is huge, has 9 full pipe organs, two medium-sized concert halls, and--I believe--at least 11 concert grands.  I certainly have no bias: I went to BYU.

Here's a quick fun video from BYU featuring the work of my dear friend Keith Kopp (who has recently retired from BYU but he still works as a technician for private clients like me--he was replaced by Rick Baldassin who is the Fazioli technician and is also extremely nice and patient like Keith).  He lists the number of pianos at the University as 443 in the video, but I don't know if that's the school of music or the University at large--I think it's just the school of music.
https://music.byu.edu/byu-piano-shop/
https://vimeo.com/46560745

Casio GP300

Hey tmyoung, it seems that you used a custom impulse response for rever,do you mind to share it? Thanks on advance!

waltercruz wrote:

Hey tmyoung, it seems that you used a custom impulse response for rever,do you mind to share it? Thanks on advance!

https://web.archive.org/web/20160305055...responses/

Casio GP300

Is .fxp just a preset (settings) of a built-in piano sound or can it simulate a new piano sound?

So this is to simulate Fazioli sounds and in theory you can create Kawai SK-EX, Ravenscroft 275, Bosendorfer, CFX sounds too? But then how do you "create" a sound by using a preset?

kennethpiano wrote:

Is .fxp just a preset (settings) of a built-in piano sound or can it simulate a new piano sound?

So this is to simulate Fazioli sounds and in theory you can create Kawai SK-EX, Ravenscroft 275, Bosendorfer, CFX sounds too? But then how do you "create" a sound by using a preset?

There isn't a blank sheet version of Pianoteq. It's not a pure synthesizer in that way. User FXPs are made from customising existing piano models mostly by ear, and by some small amount of known specifications perhaps.

Users with one of the three versions have a sliding scale of options to change the sounds from the presets. Pro and Standard allowing you to alter the models physical properties quite substantially.

Stage allowing you to choose from any of the presets which are in all three of the versions and change the effects.
All three versions allow you to make dramatic changes to the sound, Stage being the most limited.

Pro as you would imagine is obviously the version where you can change the models in the most fine detail, with more per note controls than Standard. Even so you can't create your own completely new pianos without starting from a finished model and customising it.

All that said you can make dramatic changes. It's perfectly possible that somebody could get very very close to some piano that you love as there are lots of parameters to change, to put it mildly.

tmyoung wrote:

I've added presets for the F278 and two F308s to the FXP Corner.
https://forum.modartt.com/file/8mhzvbp6
https://forum.modartt.com/file/b3adxt09
https://forum.modartt.com/file/3b3zy0n7

The F278 is their semi-concert grand, though it's bigger than most concert grands...   It and the F308 have a very nice clean and slightly warm tone.  The 308 is the largest generally available piano on the market.  The longer string length gives a stronger bass range and less inharmonicity.  There is a 333cm piano from Borgato (the Grand Prix 333), designed in 2017, but I don't know how many have actually been made or shipped (and they're twice as expensive as the F308).  The first F308 prototype debuted in 1987.

Fazioli instruments are known for nice separation of notes, especially in inner voices, and recommend for recital material of Bach, Busoni, Rachmaninoff, or other "contrapuntal" styles of music.  Overall I like Fazioli sound, especially the projection strength of the 308 is much greater than even a Steinway D, so I prefer them for Orchestra/Concerto work, if they're available, but I sometimes prefer richer (in my opinion) sounds from Bluethner or Boesendorfer for general recital material.  It all depends on my mood...

Each piano has the Mozart Rail since it most resembles the function of the Fazioli Half-blow which works similar to an upright half-blow (though the pedal order should be different as it's Half-blow > Una Corda > Sostenuto > Damper on Faziolis but I didn't want to bother with changing MIDI I/O but I may change it to the regular Fazioli order in a future version).  In this version pedal order is Una Corda > Half-blow (Mozart Rail), Sostenuto, and Damper/Sustain.

Paolo Fazioli started the company back in 1978.  They produce around 140 pianos a year--all of which are of exception build quality.  The marque is quite popular in Europe, the US, and Canada.  (There may be more full-size Fazioli concert grands in my part of the USA than there are comparable Steinways at the moment.)

The F278 was sampled with Busoni's piano roll of Lizst's La Campanella (which students of Busoni don't feel does Busoni's pianism justice but that's a whole differnt debate).
https://forum.modartt.com/download.php?id=3682

The "recital" flavor of the F308 was sampled with a piano roll of Tausig's transcription of Bach's Toccata and Fugue and a piano roll of Chopin's Bb Scherzo, and the "orchestra" flavor was sampled with the arranged piano of Saint-Saëns' 2nd Piano Concerto.  The former is close miked for solo material, and the later has a harder action, more room tone, and farther mics to mix better with an Orchestra.
https://forum.modartt.com/download.php?id=3684
https://forum.modartt.com/download.php?id=3685

https://forum.modartt.com/download.php?id=3687

Thank you so much! I'm going to download these and try all three.

Key Fumbler wrote:

All that said you can make dramatic changes. It's perfectly possible that somebody could get very very close to some piano that you love as there are lots of parameters to change, to put it mildly.

so the idea is that, we can start with K2 or Bechstein, and adjust it here and there, and come up with a sound we think is very similar to Fazioli or SK-EX, and then we can share with other users?

kennethpiano wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:

so the idea is that, we can start with K2 or Bechstein, and adjust it here and there, and come up with a sound we think is very similar to Fazioli or SK-EX, and then we can share with other users?

Yes in the fxp section of the forum.

Of course you could name your presets whatever you like. Your presets aren't a commercial product if they're posted on here.
If you make something interesting other users might give your preset 5 stars, that's even if it isn't a very accurate representation of the target piano if your preset sounds good.