Topic: multi keyboard - midi channel problem

currently testing organteq trail now, today i put all mine 3 midi keyboard together and realized all the keyboard seems in the same channel (channel 1), i tried everywhere, but all midi still in one channel.

all keyboard linked by usb ports.

Keyboard mapping already in 'four keyboards', and all keyboard can only control one menu in the same time.

Already right click the menu to assign keyboard, it just assign all keyboards to the same menu.

Is it a limitation to the free trial?

But before i can make sure all my hardware can work, how can i buy it first..

Re: multi keyboard - midi channel problem

Usually, MIDI keyboards allow one to specify or configure which MIDI channel to use to transmit their note and other MIDI data. You could check your keyboards' documentation and menus to discover how to do that.

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Usually, MIDI keyboards allow one to specify or configure which MIDI channel to use to transmit their note and other MIDI data. You could check your keyboards' documentation and menus to discover how to do that.

Oh, thanks.  That's working!

But

all mine 3 midi input, as the
Roland RD-800 stage piano, most editable, it works.
Roland Go Piano, nowhere to edit midi channel.
another very cheap hand rolling piano, no way to change midi channel. (I am trying to use the mainboard of the cheap thing to DIT a pedalboard.

That seems i will at least invest to another midi keyboard to get started.

Hauptwerk have no such issue, it works fine with all my midi

Will organteq add editable channel settings in the future?

I still like the idea of organteq and the software runs faster than Hauptwerk.  I will try to get buy organteq after i solved all my midi issues.

Last edited by drmo (02-02-2020 16:13)

drmo wrote:

That is not correct. A brief look at the documentation at Roland's support site indicates that the Roland Go piano allows one to choose which MIDI channel (of 16) to transmit on, by pressing the Function button and one of the keys on they keyboard. Refer to page 14 in the Appendix of the Roland Go user manual.

drmo wrote:

From briefly referring to Hauptwerk's documentation, the app seems to normally associate physical MIDI keyboards to its virtual manuals on a per-MIDI-port basis (one or more USB cables connected to the computer), rather than per-MIDI-channel basis. I personally think that using MIDI-channels is a better, more versatile and more efficient way to route between hardware, virtual instruments and apps, and for multi-track recording.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (02-02-2020 19:28)
--

Play piano for 20 years and now a newbie to midi world, what a fantastic world it is.

Thanks for the advice and thank you help me to understand the basic principle of midi channels.  Yes, that will be easier for multi device configulations.

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
drmo wrote:

That is not correct. A brief look at the documentation at Roland's support site indicates that the Roland Go piano allows one to choose which MIDI channel (of 16) to transmit on, by pressing the Function button and one of the keys on they keyboard. Refer to page 14 in the Appendix of the Roland Go user manual.

drmo wrote:

From briefly referring to Hauptwerk's documentation, the app seems to normally associate physical MIDI keyboards to its virtual manuals on a per-MIDI-port basis (one or more USB cables connected to the computer), rather than per-MIDI-channel basis. I personally think that using MIDI-channels is a better, more versatile and more efficient way to route between hardware, virtual instruments and apps, and for multi-track recording.

drmo wrote:

Play piano for 20 years and now a newbie to midi world, what a fantastic world it is. Thanks for the advice and thank you help me to understand the basic principle of midi channels.  Yes, that will be easier for multi device configulations.

You're welcome. Most MIDI devices have some way for you to configure the MIDI channels they use, because it is such an important aspect of MIDI communication between devices and various hardware, and to apps and virtual instruments in a computer. Have fun.

--