Topic: Piano always out of tune

Hello,

I have installed the demo, which sounds great, unfortunately the piano is always out of tune. I have several apps that help tune an instrument, and the pitch of each key should match perfectly. But unfortunately, the keys go out of tune on different octaves.

I have tried to disable all detuning, unison set to 1, all effects, and still it is out of tune.

I tried to use the note by note detune, but its not precise enough as it only allow 1 cent variation.

What can I do to get accurate tuning?

Re: Piano always out of tune

Just above the keyboard on the Pianoteq panel is a slider labelled "Condition".  Make sure that is slid to the "Mint" setting.   If slid far to the right the piano will sound out-of-tune.   Of course the there is the "Tuning" sub-panel on the Pianoteq panel.  This is typically set to 440Hz and "equal temperament" which will give good tuning (unless you set Condition to "Worn").   However if you choose an unusual setting with the tuning pannel or load a Scala file with some strange tuning then the piano could may sound out of tune.

varpa wrote:

Just above the keyboard on the Pianoteq panel is a slider labelled "Condition".  Make sure that is slid to the "Mint" setting.   If slid far to the right the piano will sound out-of-tune.   Of course the there is the "Tuning" sub-panel on the Pianoteq panel.  This is typically set to 440Hz and "equal temperament" which will give good tuning (unless you set Condition to "Worn").   However if you choose an unusual setting with the tuning pannel or load a Scala file with some strange tuning then the piano could may sound out of tune.

I checked, and it was alredy in full Mint condition, disabled all stretching, detuning, and it is still out of tune in several keys. Is it a limitation of the demo? Not trying anything fancy, just 440 equal temperament.

Last edited by ulisesguerrero (12-01-2020 20:17)

I also notice "Octave Stretching" doesn't go below 0.95, a setting of zero would mean no stretching right?

ulisesguerrero wrote:

Hello,

I have installed the demo, which sounds great, unfortunately the piano is always out of tune. I have several apps that help tune an instrument, and the pitch of each key should match perfectly. But unfortunately, the keys go out of tune on different octaves.

I have tried to disable all detuning, unison set to 1, all effects, and still it is out of tune.

I tried to use the note by note detune, but its not precise enough as it only allow 1 cent variation.

Are other software sharing your soundcard? Could something else be affecting your MIDI signal?

DonSmith wrote:
ulisesguerrero wrote:

Hello,

Are other software sharing your soundcard? Could something else be affecting your MIDI signal?

No other software, no special configuration, just out of the box. You can try yourself, just download any tuner  for Android, you'll see.

Does your app show which keys are out of tune and by how much?  (The best indicator is in "cents" for piano tuning.)

In practice there is no real "equal temperament" for piano like there is for instruments--especially the organ, because of how they're designed and built, each note is slightly off of equal temperament to keep intervals--especially octaves--as "consonant" as possible.  While modern piano tuning is much closer to a true equal temperament than historical tuning, it isn't exact in the way that other instruments are tuned to be exact.  Most technicians will use hardware specifically programmed with those slight changes to tune for some strings when servicing an instrument.  Here is a chart and paragraph that explains this in much greater detail and may reflect the out-of-tune notes you're hearing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_aco...back_curve

Also, most keys on a piano strike multiple strings (bichords and trichords and--very rarely on a few pianos by Borgato--tetrachords), and each part of the "unison" or group of strings will be tuned slightly differently to help make even more intervals consonant and referred to as unison width.  European technicians tend to add more unison width (and less octave stretching) than American technicians, because of how European pianos and built and what audiences and soloists prefer in Europe.  To get more of an American sound in Pianoteq rather than the European sound, set Unison Width to "1" and Octave Stretching to (roughly) "1.13" or up to "1.25" (on smaller instruments).

In addition to having multiple tunings of strings together in one keystrike, any piano--including the largest instruments in regular manufacture--have "inharmonicity" built into them, which means that no amount of tuning will make the top and bottom notes of the piano perfectly in tune with each other.  The only way to totally prevent inharmonicity is to build a piano of 30 or more feet in length.  To fit low bass strings inside a typical piano, they are wound with thicker wire which makes the pitch lower but makes the tuning and timbre of the tuning different, and that means that the smaller the piano, the less in tune it can be or the greater inharmonicity it will have.  Here is an example of that large a piano (and yes, we're all jealous): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-jMgCLHokQ

To get a theoretically perfectly in-tune piano with Pianoteq, set the following:

Octave Stretching: 1
Unison Width: 1
Unison Balance (under Unison Width): 0
String Length: 10 meters
Diapason: 440
Temperament: Equal Temperament
Detune (from the note edit window): 0 cents for all notes
String Tension (under the tuning window): Full Rebuild

Further refining these values and confirming they're exact is easiest in Pianoteq Pro where you can edit each of these parameters for every note on the instrument using its more powerful Note Edit window (and confirm that they're all set to the exact value across the whole instrument).

Truthfully, in my opinion, a theoretically in-tune piano will not sound like a traditional acoustic piano--the overtones, warmth, and character of an instrument come from limitations of physical piano design and what our ears are used to a piano sounding like.  The instrument created by those settings won't sound bad, but it will sound noticeably different from any physical piano.  I am reminded of how much the extended-range Stuart and Sons (Australian) pianos sound differently because of their alternate design--especially in the high overtones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZuc2rTcjXs

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2xHiPcCsm29R12HX4eXd4J
Pianoteq Pro & Organteq 2
Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

tmyoung wrote:

Does your app show which keys are out of tune and by how much?  (The best indicator is in "cents" for piano tuning.)

In practice there is no real "equal temperament" for piano like there is for instruments--especially the organ, because of how they're designed and built, each note is slightly off of equal temperament to keep intervals--especially octaves--as "consonant" as possible.  While modern piano tuning is much closer to a true equal temperament than historical tuning, it isn't exact in the way that other instruments are tuned to be exact.  Most technicians will use hardware specifically programmed with those slight changes to tune for some strings when servicing an instrument.  Here is a chart and paragraph that explains this in much greater detail and may reflect the out-of-tune notes you're hearing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_aco...back_curve

Also, most keys on a piano strike multiple strings (bichords and trichords and--very rarely on a few pianos by Borgato--tetrachords), and each part of the "unison" or group of strings will be tuned slightly differently to help make even more intervals consonant and referred to as unison width.  European technicians tend to add more unison width (and less octave stretching) than American technicians, because of how European pianos and built and what audiences and soloists prefer in Europe.  To get more of an American sound in Pianoteq rather than the European sound, set Unison Width to "1" and Octave Stretching to (roughly) "1.13" or up to "1.25" (on smaller instruments).

In addition to having multiple tunings of strings together in one keystrike, any piano--including the largest instruments in regular manufacture--have "inharmonicity" built into them, which means that no amount of tuning will make the top and bottom notes of the piano perfectly in tune with each other.  The only way to totally prevent inharmonicity is to build a piano of 30 or more feet in length.  To fit low bass strings inside a typical piano, they are wound with thicker wire which makes the pitch lower but makes the tuning and timbre of the tuning different, and that means that the smaller the piano, the less in tune it can be or the greater inharmonicity it will have.  Here is an example of that large a piano (and yes, we're all jealous): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-jMgCLHokQ

To get a theoretically perfectly in-tune piano with Pianoteq, set the following:

Octave Stretching: 1
Unison Width: 1
Unison Balance (under Unison Width): 0
String Length: 10 meters
Diapason: 440
Temperament: Equal Temperament
Detune (from the note edit window): 0 cents for all notes
String Tension (under the tuning window): Full Rebuild

Further refining these values and confirming they're exact is easiest in Pianoteq Pro where you can edit each of these parameters for every note on the instrument using its more powerful Note Edit window (and confirm that they're all set to the exact value across the whole instrument).

Truthfully, in my opinion, a theoretically in-tune piano will not sound like a traditional acoustic piano--the overtones, warmth, and character of an instrument come from limitations of physical piano design and what our ears are used to a piano sounding like.  The instrument created by those settings won't sound bad, but it will sound noticeably different from any physical piano.  I am reminded of how much the extended-range Stuart and Sons (Australian) pianos sound differently because of their alternate design--especially in the high overtones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZuc2rTcjXs

Thank you, that was a noticeable improvement, but far from being accurate, many notes are 2 cents off, several 3 or 4 cents off. So I guess I'll have to try Pianoteq Pro. Thank you.

Hello,

Oh, I just noticed there's no demo for Pianoteq Pro, does it have more than 1 cent accuracy for tuning?

Thanks,

I like your post tmyoung.  It appears both detailed and informative!

ulisesguerrero wrote:

Oh, I just noticed there's no demo for Pianoteq Pro, does it have more than 1 cent accuracy for tuning?

As a pro user I have found PIANOTEQ PRO limited to a minimum detune of a whole cent  —without any fraction of a cent possible.

ulisesguerrero wrote:

Before the advent of modern DAWs, a band or orchestra was recorded only after it was tuned to a piano properly er painstakingly as viewed from a drummer, me.  If you record several instruments in a mix and you're wanting those to sound tuned, you have to remember Tuned is a relative term. 

You tune something to something else!

Be that a piano's temperament or anything entirely different, I suggest you consider Celemony and its Melodyne software.  Apparently it allows dynamic just intonation:

Dynamic just intonation: Dynamic just intonation eliminates the slight dissonances and resulting interference (or ‘beating’) between notes that come with equal temperament. By this means a smoother sound can be obtained, as is demonstrated, for instance, by real orchestras. We speak of “dynamic” just intonation because not only are the intervals pure but the pitches are also shifted minutely to ensure that the chord member most affected by the just intonation is as near in pitch as possible to its counterpart in equal temperament. Example: Melodyne shifts a justly tuned chord of C major (C ± 0 ct, E – 13 ct, G +2 ct) six cents up, so that the E is not too far removed from its even temperament counterpart. Furthermore, this fine-tuning of notes is not static but governed by the current harmonic context. So in the time dimension, too, it is dynamic, to ensure that at each instant optimal tuning is obtained. Dynamic just intonation is particularly effective and pleasing to the ear in a multi-track context, as it’s when you select notes from multiple (or all) tracks and apply just intonation to them that its benefits are most apparent.

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (14-01-2020 02:38)
Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

Dynamic just intonation: Dyn

Thanks. Going through Celemony is overkill, Pianoteq seems like a very powerful software, would be way better to start properly from the source.

Any chance the developers would allow sub 1-cent tuning accuracy in the detune tab?

Try loading "Flat" temperament intead of "Equal".

Flat temperament, in Piantoeq, has a pre-computed, more static tuning layout designed to work more in tune with MIDI standard tuning, whereas the other tunings in Pianoteq, including its version of "Equal" are computed in real time (for realism).

Philippe, Julien and the Modartt team have of course deep reasoning for all this (It's kind of a big deal and groundbreaking IMV).

Upshot is, you should still be able to tune "Flat" to suit MIDI standard accompanying instruments.

NOTE: Tuning in Pianoteq is actually capable of editing 'the numbers' to one tenth of a cent btw, in the advanced tuning panel.

Insta-view a series between 1 standard note and the next:

Computing those steps against all other factors within a given tuning, gives so much freedom and deep microtonal flexibility for example yet with realistic and almost infinte further granularity due to string stretching, tensioning computed in real time down to harmonics and overtone structures, natural inharmonicity as like reality.

Without too much extra blurb, we can definitely push and pull the tuning around in both realistic and un-realistic ways. That can go into great depth esp. inre: microtonal tuning.

Pianoteq'a tuning system isn't broken, it's ready for all kinds of things beyond standard MIDI tuning. The learning curves you encounter with Pianoteq are so worth the time.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Right, so-called mallet instruments such as bells, marimbas, xylophones, and vibraphones along with electric pianos have been tuned to the Flat temperament included within the PIANOTEQ software.

Have you, ulisesguerrero, just answered your own question: “What can I do to get accurate tuning?”

ulisesguerrero wrote:

Going through Celemony is overkill, Pianoteq seems like a very powerful software, would be way better to start properly from the source.

I submit the following statement (below):

In my opinion, PIANOTEQ is no more powerful than the Melodyne software that might allow just intonation in only a couple of cursory clicks, for all your DAW session tracks.

Let me see: PIANOTEQ vs. Melodyne, like apples to oranges, no contest!

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (14-01-2020 11:29)
Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

Yes, using Flat is a good additional correction to those settings.  Nice catch, Qexl!

I should add that if you use the per-note "Detune" window under Note Edit, you are limited to per-note variations of one cent, but if you open the Advanced Tuning window--where the main scale of the temperament is loaded--that's where the 10ths of a cent can be edited.  So, essentially, if you are altering the main scale of the instrument (which is how a technician starts tuning a piano is the series of notes between Middle C and Tenor C--if a technician has no device other than a tuning fork, they'll start with Concert A to 440 and then make the intervals to other notes in an order like A, F, C, G, D, A#, D#, G#, C#, etc. but the order you choose when tuning by ear can "color" or "flavor" the tuning slightly if you're tuning to fifths, fourths, thirds, or sixths by ear and that's usually the longest and most careful part of tuning a piano).

Also, if Flat temperament doesn't totally fix the issues in addition to the other settings suggestions, you can use the Detune Note Edit Window (which is available in both Standard and Pro) to fix the per note 2-4 cent errors, if any remain after loading Flat tuning.  Right clicking in that window gives you even great flexibility in how you edit each note.  You can also cut and paste tuning data into that window, which allows you to bring the data into a text editor to save time trying to do it with a mouse.

Here is a (very long) video that shows the basic process of tuning a piano, showing a little of doing it by ear and a little of doing it by an electronic device.  Note how relaxed he is when it comes to precise or mathematical differences in tuning between strings (things like fractions of a cent); because of the reality that tuning pins are pushed into very densely laminated wood that rests against the harp and that's all that's keeping them in place: the slightest change in temperature or humidity can put a string or pin significantly out of tune.  I remember a technician friend at a university demonstrated that rubbing his finger for a second on a string was enough to pull the string audibly below tune.  He also noted that they tuned their pianos to 443 or higher in the recital hall, because the spot lights warmed the piano enough to bring the piano well below tune, so they had to tune the piano sharp while the lights were off.  They also had significant problems selecting diapason for performances with piano and orchestra, because fixed pitch American instruments (percussion and woodwinds) were often locked into 440hz Diapason, while newer instruments from European makers were fixed at 442hz, so they agreed to 441hz for the pianos to get the best average between those distinct sounds (a trick I always use in PTQ when pairing it with VSL or Embertone).  This also works in much the way the solo violinists tune: they tune to the highest "A" in the music they'll preform, because it makes the instrument sound more brilliant against the orchestra--tuning the piano slightly high to 441 or 442 will likewise make it sound a little brighter against the 440 instruments.  This same tech also noted that he had to retune every concert/recital piano--across the entire range of each piano--at least twice a day, and any time the weather changed, it could go up to at least 4 or 5 times each day to keep the instruments in performance condition.  It's crazy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNLHYNn75Hk

The learning curves you encounter with Pianoteq are so worth the time.

And I completely agree, Qexl!

Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

May I make a suggestion. Try this. Pick the Default Blüthner BA Solo Recording Preset with no adjustments. Now adjust the Stereo Width slider to read 401. Now play a chromatic run and let me know if there is any improvement.

I've done the above (with velocity curve alterations for my Yamaha P515) and am very pleased with the result. The setting of Stereo Width 401 works well with the Default Bechstein Sweet Preset also. I haven't tried any others yet but intend to tomorrow.

Let me know what you find,

Warmest regards,

Chris

sigasa wrote:

May I make a suggestion. Try this. Pick the Default Blüthner BA Solo Recording Preset with no adjustments. Now adjust the Stereo Width slider to read 401. Now play a chromatic run and let me know if there is any improvement.

I've done the above (with velocity curve alterations for my Yamaha P515) and am very pleased with the result. The setting of Stereo Width 401 works well with the Default Bechstein Sweet Preset also. I haven't tried any others yet but intend to tomorrow.

Let me know what you find,

Warmest regards,

Chris

That's not to say that you shouldn't look into the various tuning possibilities suggested! I'm a fully qualified pianotuner myself so understand the enjoyment that can be had when making a piano sound just how you want it. But for now you may prefer a simpler solution if indeed you find it works for you.

Hello All,

I first noticed this thread when it was posted on 12JAN2020, and am not sure the following question has been adequately stated:  "Is Pianoteq out of tune because it "sounds" out of tune or because it "measures" out of tune?"

I ask this because I feel that Pianoteq 6 PRO instrument presets sound completely in tune to my sense of hearing, right out of the box.  I am not terribly concerned about whether a given Pianoteq preset measures within a few cents of mathematical perfection for equal temperament.  Why not?  That's because when I tune any real acoustic piano to perfect equal temperament with a false sense of security by using an electronic tuning device, the piano is technically "in tune"; however, I feel that I can make the piano 'sing' more when I slightly deviate from theoretically/mathematically perfect tuning. 

One aspect of what I say has to do with the tuning of trichords (notes with three steel strings per key):   I strive to tune the central steel string to the best of my ability, then I generally tune the leftmost string with respect to the center string to emphasize even harmonics (octave harmonics), and I generally tune the rightmost string to the center string such to emphasize the odd harmonics (fifths, major thirds and major sixths, etc.).  Then I usually go back and make sure that the center string remains in as perfect tuning as I am capable of achieving. 

To repeat, each acoustic piano I tune professionally has certain deviations from mathematical perfection of equal temperament (meaning each semitone's fundamental frequency varies by the twelfth root of 2, or 1.05946309 times the reference tone's fundamental frequency).  I am wondering if, by noticing these slight mathematically theoretical variations in tuning, the Pianoteq presets "measure" out of tune.

For informational purposes, at A440, a deviation of +4 cents results in a change of 1 hertz (i.e., 441Hz).  By this logic, at A440, a deviation of 1 cent results in the tuning being off by 1/4th Hertz (i.e., 440.25Hz), or one undulation of constructive/destructive interference for every four seconds the note is sounded.  When we deal with a theoretical accuracy of 0.1 cents, we're speaking of one-fortieth of a hertz @A440 (i.e., 440.025Hz).  Personally, I know of no human tuner who can ensure an accuracy of A440 +/- 1/40th Hertz by ear or with tuning hammer technique.

My two "cents" [pun intended].  This is a great discussion; please feel free to agree or disagree with my musings.

Cheers

Joe

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (20-01-2020 21:10)

If you whisper to the key, then it can shift the order by 1/40 cents ..)) but is it noticeable?
Yes, I also return to checking the middle string in choirs ..
An interesting idea about emphasizing overtones in unison. Gradually, this is revealed to me .. and the skill appears ..

jcfelice88keys wrote:

My two "cents" [pun intended].  This is a great discussion; please feel free to agree or disagree with my musings.

Cheers

Joe

Excellent post! I believe there is no such thing as a "perfectly in tune" piano. And even if there was, it would not necessarily be a good thing!

PT 7.3 with Steinway B and D, U4 upright, YC5, Bechstein DG, Steingraeber, Ant. Petrov, Kremsegg Collection #2, Electric Pianos and Hohner Collection. http://antoinewcaron.com

jcfelice88keys wrote:

For informational purposes, at A440, a deviation of +4 cents results in a change of 1 hertz (i.e., 441Hz).  By this logic, at A440, a deviation of 1 cent results in the tuning being off by 1/4th Hertz (i.e., 440.25Hz), or one undulation of constructive/destructive interference for every four seconds the note is sounded.  When we deal with a theoretical accuracy of 0.1 cents, we're speaking of one-fortieth of a hertz @A440 (i.e., 440.025Hz).  Personally, I know of no human tuner who can ensure an accuracy of A440 +/- 1/40th Hertz by ear or with tuning hammer technique.

Cheers

Joe

I agree completely.  I doubt there could even be mechanized or laboratory conditions that would permit that across an entire instrument, let alone on an instrument that's going to be played.

I remember on my old upright, occasionally notes would slip out of tune with a week of tuning, just because the 1928 instrument's rusted strings and tired pinboard couldn't really take any slight adjustment--let alone a pitch raise.  No amount of passion for that piano kept it in tune.  There was one dichord--a D string, I think--that slipped significantly out of tune on a regular basis after maintenance (I think the string had snapped the year before and had been repaired).  The tech came back and tuned it a few days later, set the pin harder, and two days later it was out again.  He glued it, and two days later, the glue failed and it dropped tune, so finally he just found the strongest epoxy he could and glued it twice in two days, which happily worked: I don't know what outside of a rebuild would have been an option if it hadn't because you can't do that much to "reset" a pin without replacing all of them.  There are just factors in the real world, like that notorious string, that put practical boundaries on perfection.

Mathematical tuning just doesn't exist for pianos, or if it does, it's gone in seconds.

I'd be curious to know from the OP, if there is a particular need for having less than 1 cent accuracy for a project?  Is it because it will pair with synthesized or electronic instruments and the slightest beating would be a problem--where an e-piano or similar substitute might serve better?  Do other pianos--especially sampled ones--have a better level of tuning accuracy than PTQ?  Do the tuning app and microphone and other equipment used in this test have an guaranteed level of accuracy?

Casio GP300

tmyoung wrote:

I'd be curious to know ...
<...>
Do other pianos--especially sampled ones--have a better level of tuning accuracy than PTQ?

Please note:  I am here only to report my real-life experience with poorly tuned sampled pianos.  This is not intended as standing on a soapbox to bash sampled piano libraries as a whole.

Long Answer:
One of the many reasons I permanently deleted all sampled high-end piano libraries (including but not limited to EWQL, Garritan, Synthogy, Dan Dean, Native Instruments, etc.) from my computer had to do with poor intonation in the commercially released versions.  Certain velocity ranges of individual notes -- and not always the same notes -- exhibited such poor mis-tuned trichords (clearly audible by ear) that I could not understand how a commercial product was allowed to be released to the public with these tuning flaws. 

In retrospect, when a software developer samples a piano in multiple velocity layers, it is inevitable that some combinations of notes and velocities will have gone out of tune, especially in slipping of individual trichords.

I distinctly recall speaking in person with the actual creator of a very-well recognized sample library at the 2009 Winter NAMM show, asking how such a product could be released with so many tuning defects in each brand of piano they had sampled.  His paraphrased reply went something like this:  "Well, we did re-tune the piano twice a day while sampling it."  My conjecture is that the sampling process was somehow automated, with up to eighteen velocity layers per note sampled.  During this time, it would be easy for at least some of the note-velocity combinations to be sampled without anyone actually listening to them.  Then upon beta testing, with so many notes and so many velocity layers, I can understand how some mis-tuned note-velocity combinations might slip through their quality control process, although there's still no excuse for these flaws to exist after extensive beta testing.

The way I used to work with sampled piano libraries would be to play a given piece, live, while recording a backup copy to midi, and then reviewing the midi file afterward in a DAW (usually Digital Performer Version 5 or Logic Pro Version 6 at the time).  Whenever I would find notes that sounded distinctly out-of-tune, I had to manually find the note in the DAW, and modify the note-on velocity to fire the next nearest same-note sample that was not still out of tune.

When I acquired Pianoteq version 3 in the first decade of the twenty first century, I felt terrifically relieved in NOT having to edit specific note-on velocities that happened to otherwise trip out-of-tune samples. 

Short answer:
Other pianos, including sampled pianos, do NOT have a better level of tuning accuracy than Pianoteq.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (21-01-2020 20:09)

jcfelice88keys wrote:

The way I used to work with sampled piano libraries would be to play a given piece, live, while recording a backup copy to midi, and then reviewing the midi file afterward in a DAW (usually Digital Performer Version 5 or Logic Pro Version 6 at the time).  Whenever I would find notes that sounded distinctly out-of-tune, I had to manually find the note in the DAW, and modify the note-on velocity to fire the next nearest same-note sample that was not still out of tune.

When I acquired Pianoteq version 3 in the first decade of the twenty first century, I felt terrifically relieved in NOT having to edit specific note-on velocities that happened to otherwise trip out-of-tune samples.

Short answer:
Other pianos, including sampled pianos, do NOT have a better level of tuning accuracy than Pianoteq.

Yes, that does demonstrate well the advantages of the Pianoteq engine.

jcfelice88keys wrote:

One aspect of what I say has to do with the tuning of trichords (notes with three steel strings per key):   I strive to tune the central steel string to the best of my ability, then I generally tune the leftmost string with respect to the center string to emphasize even harmonics (octave harmonics), and I generally tune the rightmost string to the center string such to emphasize the odd harmonics (fifths, major thirds and major sixths, etc.).  Then I usually go back and make sure that the center string remains in as perfect tuning as I am capable of achieving.

Gives great context to the control for "Unison Balance" in Pianoteq.

We can alter it for the whole piano in Standard and Pro: right-click "Unison Width" to find it.

Or any strings or ranges, as one of the editable features in per note edit mode in Pro.

Altering unison balance seems to shift bias a little from the 'centre string', or theoretically the central 'pitch' to the lower, or higher of the unison pitches per note.

It can give fine change to aspects of the way the whole piano tuning behaves and can improve the fidelity in crowded music (with many notes/chords, high velocities esp. bass harmonies etc.). Or it can just seem to make a piano sweeter or a little more sour, if that's the goal.

When straight up A/B testing, some chords might show little has changed - but playing something with lots of action (or listening in the MIDI player) can help - replay/listen/try new number.

I've noticed so far, the settings I mostly use for unison balance, are numbers between -0.2 and +0.4 - interested to know if others enjoy results from adjusting this control and other observations?

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

ulisesguerrero wrote:

I also notice "Octave Stretching" doesn't go below 0.95, a setting of zero would mean no stretching right?

Melodyne from a Dutch based Celemony does compensate for any octave stretching on tracks throughout a mix.  If you choose, it will remove it entirely or adjust other track instruments accordingly.

I have several apps that help tune an instrument, and the pitch of each key should match perfectly.

People, a guy wants to just tune maybe a Steinway, Bechstein, Ant. Petrof, Bluethner, Steingraeber, or any other grand piano, to his phone app, no big deal!

Amen Ptah Ra wrote:

People, a guy wants to just tune maybe a Steinway, Bechstein, Ant. Petrof, Bluethner, Steingraeber, or any other grand piano, to his phone app, no big deal!

That's quite alright with me that maybe a guy just wants to tune a piano to his phone app.  Agreed, no big deal.

This thread now has over twenty responses because the original title was "Piano always out of tune".  Some people wanted to help; others wanted clarification; still others offered explanations.  The best part of this discussion is that many ideas were floated and the topic was discussed with dignity and respect for fellow Pianoteq forum members.  No flaming has occurred, nor does it need to occur.

Cheers and all the best,

Joe

Joe, I've failed miserably to offer any levity.  Have to use an emoji next time!

Personally, I'm seeing right now some humor in a likely typically modern scenario in which a guy may want to tune a grand piano (valued at possibly $80K) or even someday a Stradivarius, hardly to a temperament or to other musical instruments in the hands of human beings (God forbid)  —but to a $4.00 smartphone app he just downloaded.

At some future date any temperament as it pertains to a human condition like a human frailty, possibly will have lost its original true meaning as it becomes surrounded only in a high tech age by lifeless cold steel and heartless machines.

Now I feel badly.  I've allowed myself to become defensive, about my taste and anything funny to me.  Let me examine myself.  And, let me decide if something is really best for me.

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (23-01-2020 16:46)

Oh my goodness,

I failed to see the humor you had originally intended in your twice previous post!  You are absolutely right:  if someone is going to acquire a $six-figure piano or a Strad violin, of COURSE they would not use a $4.00 phone app to tune the instrument.

Several years ago, just for fun, I purchased a Korg hardware guitar tuner and another brand of hardware tuner (each~$25-$20) that has a piezoelectric pickup, both equipped only with equal temperament tuning, which is ironic for the tuning of guitars.  Both tuners were fun to play with, but their accuracies of display were nowhere near what was required to tune a piano with any type of good sound in all keys.  I actually gave one of them to my Church's choir director, because he wanted to have a hand at tuning his own piano.  I told him that, at best, he might be able to lay the bearings (tune the middle one or two octaves) of his own personal piano, but that he would have to tune the octaves by ear.  I never heard from that person any results he had gotten from trying to tune his own piano.

It took me approximately five years (1968-1972 or -73) before I was able to tune a piano with enough assurance that the instrument was in tune, to the extent I could tune other peoples' or institutions' pianos.

Cheers,

Joe

As an interesting aside, there have been multiple attempts during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries to build pianos, organs, and harpsichords with enharmonic keyboards to better fit "just intonation" and other tuning practices available on violins and other non-fixed pitch instruments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enharmonic_keyboard

While none of these solutions saw general interest or mass production, they are an interesting window in virtual solutions that can be created in PTQ with advanced scala files that would make for practical realizations of these--otherwise--outlandish ideas for moving away from fixed equal temperament towards total realtime control of tuning like a violinist has.

I would be curious to see in five to ten years if technology like the Steingraeber transducer "hybrid" with PTQ and similar projects solve some of these centuries-old puzzles for achieving actual realtime "perfection" in tuning in a wide variety of musical applications and situations.

Casio GP300

Well, if one is a perfectionist, I suppose that one might be frustrated at the intentional out-of-tune-ness that musicians and music lovers must suffer, since equal-temperament (like so many other tunings) is an elaborate and precise out-of-tune compromise, and in a piano in particular, both octave stretching and unison-string detuning are intentionally out of tune, the former to adjust for the slightly-sharp harmonics of low/long strings and the decay-to-flat characteristic of the short, highly tensioned strings of the upper extreme of piano keys, and the latter to create subtle beats between unison strings for depth and richness, like the vibrato of an opera singer.

It is the out-of-tuneness of equal temperament, and its complex harmonic nature, that made the music of classical and romantic period composers such as Chopin, Ravel, Debussy, Tchaikovsky, and Rachmaninov possible, as well as all more modern music including jazz and any music that changes key or tonal center (sometimes as frequently as the base-note and chord is changed in music).

So we can thank out-of-tuneness for a lot, if we are inclined to see the beauty in what might be considered "imperfection."

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (29-01-2020 15:16)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

I tried and failed to make a joke out of a situation.  Admittedly, I was experiencing some of the symptoms of my anxiety about this thread particularly and many implications of it.  Now let me alert you to some of that which I find very serious.

You have to consider many a historical piece was written for piano, another for cello, and still others for either violin or viola, today you obviously write for smartphone instead.  You do if you tune those instruments to a smartphone app.

A lot I’m going to say about just intonation, just later!

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (02-02-2020 21:11)