Topic: Quality of sound through speakers- something off

Hello, I am having an issue with getting the Pianoteq sound through my speakers. Now, before we start to go down the road of better speakers, I am able to get great sound after recording and listening through these speakers. I have also tried many many speakers. Here is my setup. I have a Kawai VPC1 that is usb midi'd to my macbook pro. The macbook pro has a focusrite audio interface that is then hooked up to powered monitors. I can plug headphones into these monitors and am able to get the sound I happily paid for. It is beautiful and the headphones aren't really that great. When I use the speakers, there is a muddiness to the sound quality in the middle register only. This is true for any speakers I have attempted to plug in and regardless of if I go through the focusrite or not. I feel like I must be missing something simple. Any suggestions?

Re: Quality of sound through speakers- something off

Without knowing much about how your listening environment is arranged, my first guess is that there is some sort of "room mode" (cancellation caused by the size of the room or the distance between speakers and walls) or problem with the speaker alignment.  For example, the speakers may be too close to a wall or not angled correctly (proper stereo field is very tricky to set up and may not be consistent throughout the room if you listen in multiple places), or the room might benefit from acoustic treatment of some kind.

Do you mind sharing more about the dimensions of your studio and where everything is placed?  That might help us give more useful suggestions.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2xHiPcCsm29R12HX4eXd4J
Pianoteq Pro & Organteq 2
Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

rocbryan wrote:

Hello, I am having an issue with getting the Pianoteq sound through my speakers. Now, before we start to go down the road of better speakers, I am able to get great sound after recording and listening through these speakers. I have also tried many many speakers. Here is my setup. I have a Kawai VPC1 that is usb midi'd to my macbook pro. The macbook pro has a focusrite audio interface that is then hooked up to powered monitors. I can plug headphones into these monitors and am able to get the sound I happily paid for. It is beautiful and the headphones aren't really that great. When I use the speakers, there is a muddiness to the sound quality in the middle register only. This is true for any speakers I have attempted to plug in and regardless of if I go through the focusrite or not. I feel like I must be missing something simple. Any suggestions?

There'll usually be a difference in quality and volume  between headphones and speakers.  Headphones these days often display heavy bass mode for rap and other stuff.
if you fiddle around with the vel curve, you'll surely achieve a decent sound.
Maybe you could use two settings for each voice, one for h'ph, one for speakers.

I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order

tmyoung wrote:

Without knowing much about how your listening environment is arranged, my first guess is that there is some sort of "room mode" (cancellation caused by the size of the room or the distance between speakers and walls) or problem with the speaker alignment.  For example, the speakers may be too close to a wall or not angled correctly (proper stereo field is very tricky to set up and may not be consistent throughout the room if you listen in multiple places), or the room might benefit from acoustic treatment of some kind.

Do you mind sharing more about the dimensions of your studio and where everything is placed?  That might help us give more useful suggestions.

Thanks for getting back to me! I am in a small room but have now tried 5 different sets of speakers and different placements. Something is missing especially in the mid range. I get such a full sound even from junky headphones.

peterws wrote:
rocbryan wrote:

There'll usually be a difference in quality and volume  between headphones and speakers.  Headphones these days often display heavy bass mode for rap and other stuff.
if you fiddle around with the vel curve, you'll surely achieve a decent sound.
Maybe you could use two settings for each voice, one for h'ph, one for speakers.

I'll try fiddling with the vel curve but I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong- was hoping someone was having this same problem.

Hi rocbryan,

this has been a topic over and over again, unfortunately not with a very happy outcome.
I had the same issue long time ago, I tried it with Audio Technica ATH M50x headphones it Pianoteq sounded really really good!
Then I connected it to my Yamaha HS5 - flat and lifeless. Then I bought JBL LSR 308s... it still felt lifeless. I bought a Focuscrite Audio interface because I thought it is my Macbook... no improvement. Then I bought another Audio Interface from Mackie, still no improvement.
Then I thought I might be missing a subwoofer... so I got the LSR310s, but still the sound didn't sound close as good as on headphones.

Honestly the best speakers I had through Pianoteq were the iLoud Micro Monitors. With those Pianoteq sounded better with some settings (steinway D intimate, Bechstein sweet). But let me save you a lot of disappointment, it will never sound as good as on headphones. It's just a different ballgame when you use headphones.
I also just bought a Kawai CA 98 two days ago, it's got 6 speakers with the soundboard designed to make you feel vibrations etc. It's good, it sounds not bad through speakers but it's like 10 times better through my headphones compared to speakers. I guess you would have to got for like SUPER expensive speakers plus room treatment to somewhat simulate a headphone experience.

What you could try is to play with the effect equalizer in Pianoteq... give it a bass boost for instance, I bet it will make it sound better through your monitors, but it won't sound as clear and still punchy and full of dynamic as it does through a headphone!
I'm sorry I don't have better news and probably some people in this forum might say not it will sound AMAZING through speakers but
the truth is tricky, however there is only one version of it

I love Pianoteq, especially through my headphones it sounds really good and playability is great. It's not just Pianoteq, as I said even my new top of the line digital piano sounds much better through headphones than through its advertised speakers and soundboard, which is not bad, it's ok but it doesn't have the wow effect.

In case you have the chance got to a music store and try Pianoteq with some iLoud Micro Monitors, those somehow sounded better than my Yamaha HS5 and JBL LSR 308s. Again tricky but the truth is the truth!

Keep us posted about your progress!

rocbryan: do piano recordings that you are familiar with, and like a lot, sound good through the speakers?

Hello All,

I have been making demos for Pianoteq for more than ten years; many of you have heard them on the Modartt website.  I have come to my own conclusion that the audio signal sounds quite differently, depending on whether you play the audio on loudspeakers or with headphones.  The same dichotomy of sound is also true for commercial recordings of analog pianos.  Here is what I hear:

When playing Pianoteq (or Organteq) through headphones, I enjoy selecting reverb with longer release time such that it feels as though the sound is coming from all around me.  This is a very plausible effect.  However, when I play the same recording back through my B&W Matrix 801 Series II loudspeakers and Krell amplification, the same recording that sounded fine in headphones ... now is awash in too much reverb!  When I mix using the B&W 801s to get a suitable sound, then the instruments sound too dry through headphones!

How do recording companies cope with this difference in perceived sound?  Often they will "duck" the reverb, until such time as the piano's sound is momentarily silenced, such as at the end of a musical phrase.  The effect of ducking the reverb results in a sound that is far clearer (less muddy) sounding through monitor speakers -- during fast passages -- and the reverb is heard when the music stops momentarily.  I have heard this effect a number of times in my AKG 702 headphones when playing commercial recordings of classical solo piano music, and a cappella singing such as the King's Singers.  There is a compromise in usage of this effect, so as to make the audio sound less muddy through loudspeakers, yet not too obvious when listening through headphones.

My two cents worth.

Cheers,

Joe

You have valuable insight into the dilemma.  About which I for one had been struggling, it had seemed forever!

One provides a whole lot more than two cents worth to way much more than even a sixty-four dollar question.  Thank you, Joe.

Now I’m wondering if a similar process and effect is possible thru a reverb send to an auxiliary bus having a compressor or dynamic equalizer.

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (11-01-2020 23:28)
Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

Hello Mr. Ra,

Thank you for your kind response about my insight to the dilemma of headphone- vs loudspeaker sound.

One might logically ask, "Why is denser reverb more tolerable when audio is listened through headphones than through loudspeakers?"  I can only answer for myself:  Since my ears are physically located further back along my skull than the backs of my eyeballs, I perceive the headphone's sound to be centered/originate somewhat behind my eyeballs.  It makes sense that when I hear reverb in a given room's acoustic, I am also subtly (or sometimes non-subtly) aware that I am present in an acoustic space that exists 360 degrees around my head, as well as being able to detect and up-down characteristic to the sound.  I believe I can tolerate more reverb in an audio signal when listening through headphones (as opposed to two-channel loudspeakers) because more reverb gives me the sense of being in that acoustic space behind me while wearing 'phones.  Contrast that with the annoyance of reverb and the original music audio signal originating from in front of my face when listening to two loudspeakers.  No matter how good the latter are, it seems unnatural for both the original musical event AND the reverb to originate from the same two speakers.  Some people might describe this artifact as sounding thick, muddy, or unclear when listened through loudspeakers.

. . . . .

My previous reply failed to state that "ducking" of reverb better translates to reducing (rather than totally eliminating) the amount of reverb until the musical signal ceases.  I may have incorrectly given the impression that a kind of brick wall or gate completely silences the reverb when the piano is actually playing.  It is all a matter of degree to find an amount of ducking that conveniently goes away ... without any electronic artifacts such as "pumping" being heard, especially with a musical instrument such as a piano.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (12-01-2020 22:31)

Joe,

That is a really interesting topic and your insights are particularly valuable, and you're absolutely right that there's a definite difference between headphones and loudspeakers--especially if room sound isn't well regulated.

I know from my little experience that the recording and encoding of binaural (which PTQ can do, which is so cool) and stereo are materially different enough that they are considered different sound formats.  Those differences alone could explain what you describe (different ms of delay, perceived angle of sound, different soundscape and reflections near the ear, and other technical subtleties), but I wonder if there's an additional dimension caused by the practical difference between the player's perspective and the audience perspective that correlates with some challenges I've noticed myself and colleagues dealing with.

I know as a performer, I have had to train myself to hear the piano sound from the standpoint of the player (listing for the initial sound and then room reflections/reverb) and then imagine how the sound is changed by being far away from the instrument in the audience, and it's extremely difficult and requires a lot of attention and concentration!

I recall an experience at a local multipurpose hall at a university, where the space was used for both small theatrical productions and orchestral performances.  The distance from the front of the stage to the back wall was almost the same as the distance to the to back of the auditorium/hall, which is the worst place to put a piano because the early reflections of the back of the stage were almost the same as the final reflections of the space.  Much like sitting in the center of a poorly designed control room, you're in the dead spot of the hall.  It took me five to ten minutes to be able to hear well enough to adjust my playing speed, volume, and pedal-work to fit the space because of its unusual design.  After getting used to the unusual soundscape, I played a lot louder and much more staccato than I did in any other hall I'd been in before because the room itself was adding way too much reverb and acoustic interference.  It was only after that experience, that I really started to understand what colleagues had said about "play for the person on the back row" or "the real practice and work begins when you enter the hall."  I've come to realize that a true concert pianist doesn't play the piano, they play the hall.  And it's a huge, daily challenge!

So what you describe about recordings feeling different from different perspectives is nearly exactly what I've discovered in performance, that the player perspective (or headphones) and the hall perspective (or loudspeakers) require different playing to sound their best--not just technically but more, for lack of a better term, experientially.  I've found that to play well for the audience, I need to play in a manner that sounds badly from my vantage point on the stage.  One of the things I love about PTQ is that I can set the loudspeakers to be in the audience position, and I have to do less mental calculus and simply listen to my technique in real-time as though at the back of a hall during my own performance--something impossible to do outside of the computer, and PTQ has really helped me save time in learning how to listen to myself while on stage.

While ducking and similar tricks are definitely used in multiple genres, I'd be curious how much classical recordings are simply the out-of-the-box results on reverb and it's because the performer is subtly adjusting technique for the different spatial reflections and microphone placement to make those recordings work.  Your thoughts?

(And let me add that your samples are excellent, and I've bought a lot of PTQ versions and instrument packs just based on what I listened to in the demos area.  So you've been doing very effective and professional work!)

Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

rocbryan wrote:

I can plug headphones into these monitors and am able to get the sound I happily paid for. It is beautiful and the headphones aren't really that great. When I use the speakers, there is a muddiness to the sound quality in the middle register only. This is true for any speakers I have attempted to plug in and regardless of if I go through the focusrite or not. I feel like I must be missing something simple. Any suggestions?

I’m now curious to know whether or not to your liking (through loudspeakers), you’re able to get sounds as advertised from Pianoteq audio demos.  Just as WYSIWYG (what-you-see-is-what-you-get) made a popular expression often used as jargon in comedic routines and later seriously in references to any computer printed document (printout), what-you-hear-is-what-you-get might just apply!

Seriously, I would like to urge you maybe to listen to the examples appearing within the thread Engineering Pianoteq Steinway B Close Mic Preset, if you are alarmed at the possibility an incoherence or some sort of a cancellation, as tmyoung puts it, is a plausible cause for your dissatisfaction.  That thread came about a need I felt when some discussion was needed on the topic of piano audio engineering  —of the present presets with outside compression and equalization.  Which along with other outside processes and effects are possible solutions to the problems you face conceivably by phase cancellations.  That can frequently result in attenuated or altogether missing piano tones.  Those which were fully present before the piano instrument was recorded, by multiple microphones (placed perhaps too densely to your standard) inside a single session.

Please feel free to use the furnished link to the aforementioned thread and after a visit to it leave a comment.  (Let me know whether or not it’s helpful.)

Incidentally, the saying “What you see is what you get.” was started by a well remembered once comedy entertainer by the late great Flip Wilson.  Anytime I saw a skit of his, I got more than just a chuckle.

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (15-01-2020 08:59)
Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

Nicely put Joe.

To the question about 'can you use a DAW with FX for this' - yes, there are many things you can do in a DAW to 'produce' any signal.

Pianoteq, to me, is like a piano recorded onto a track in a studio - I then retro-fit it into whatever the music demands (producing is part knowing audio engineering rules, part art in terms of being inventive with the tools).

In the late 1950s, when reverb was becoming more than just the 'room' recorded with the mic along with an ensemble for example, early record producers and engineers were doing more than turning up and down simple reverb dials, they were inventing electronic units which had often very particular effects on an audio signal. Obvious to say - but it's less obvious that these things make more than a little difference to a sound, as does our own room where we use Pianoteq.

Nice interesting interlude, in Columbia records' NYC studio (30th Street) in the late 50s thru I think the 70s, you could "rent" their echo chamber, via a telephone plug-in facility. Quite a few famous records were made at other studios, using Columbia's well regarded 'room' - kind of techie heaven stuff.

To this day, any DAW will have ways to add any type of reverb to a track. You can do it via old school analogs like using an FX send/return, or make new tracks by 'bouncing' a version of your Piantoeq track with only reverb solo'd.. then go to town altering that reverb only track with effects and EQ.. it's often what I do after a mix has been done to a great extent, and it's time to start freezing or bouncing instrument tracks out to audio tracks (to save system resources - makes a lot of room for more effect lines etc.).

You can work with reverb on one track, or for groups of instruments - every DAW will have different ways to doing these things - and it can be a lot easier than it sounds esp. with certain plugins which themselves may have some things built in for ease of use.

For an example of a DAW making something easy, Ableton has a "ducking" button.. just click it, and select a track to apply it to. If you've got you reverb on an FX chanel, well, just select it.. and no more effort may be required other than choosing a level. I haven't done that in a year (mosty in other DAWs currently) but IIRC it was genuniely that easy - no need for really complex routing layouts.

I like gating reverb, so it leaves initial and quiet piano signal clean.. that way, if compression has 'gain' in this region, it won't pick up 'unwanted noise' of reverb with it.. then with ducking on the other end, well, you've got a nice balance of things.

Trick is, balance of effects within reason - it's fun to break rules in contemporary music too.

These days, Pianoteq is the best in-studio piano anyone could ask for. To me, it really is the closest thing to beginning a production session with a recorded piano track. Other software pianos are already over-produced in some way - so they're more cookie cutter old hat, to me. We all like different things but the only reason to say it isn't good in some way, is lack of knowledge and/or experience, sincerely.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

If you're wanting to duck your reverb signal in a hurry and willing to pay nominally for it, you may become interested in Perfect Room reverb by denise.  It has a ducker that requires little or no skill level since I've used it  —and I'm just an amateur (audio) engineer!  It's relatively easy to operate, no harder than a compressor. 

Momentarily, I forgot I got it last month while it was on a sale at Plugin Boutique: https://www.pluginboutique.com/products...REE-Slappy.

In addition to ducking, there is one small trick I've worked with that seems to really help--especially with rendering large ensembles in large spaces.  Quality out-board (and extremely expensive) reverb units like the TC6000 randomly merge 10-20 different reverbs to make the sound come alive and make the space less static while maintaining a generally consistent reverb sound.  I love convolution reverbs and use them as my main reverb, but on long recordings you start to notice a lifeless consistency or repetition to the sound, so I've been experimenting in my mixes for some time with an in-between solution: apply an appropriate convolution file through a good convolving engine to the file, and then later--on another FX track or downstream plugin chain--add 1-3% algorithmic reverb, and finally--only on the algorithmic reverb track--use your DAW's automation function to randomize (or nearly randomize it like by applying a slow moving triangle wave) the density of the reverb from 1-3% throughout the track.  This idea can be stacked several times and percentages and randomizations adjusted to "taste."  I've found that 5-7 times or more gets way too heavy, but easily 1-3 times at these low percentages is enough to enliven the convoluted reverb without drowning in it, which gives a more believable richer sound, that should also more easily bridge the gap between loudspeaker soundscapes and headphone soundscapes, without needing $20K reverb hardware.

Casio GP300

Hello All,

Thank you for your kind remarks in the time I first mentioned "ducking" in this thread.  It was originally a reply to rationalize how to reduce the difference between what is heard in headphones versus what comes across in loudspeakers.  Please note that when I furnish a demo to Modartt for their use (with my expressed permission) of my demo performances, I usually give Modartt a midi copy of my live performance, and let them do whatever they wish with the sound.  To my knowledge, they do not resort to ducking of the reverb in any way.

What I have found, instead, is that when I use headphones with any given Pianoteq instrument, I usually listen via Recording 2 or Recording 3 presets, and the Condition slider moved slightly to about 0.20.  When I use Pianoteq through my B&W Matrix 801 loudspeakers, I usually select a Prelude patch or even Sweet (or Warm) patch.  As implied in my original reply, I like the Recording -2 or -3 presets with headphones because I can "hear" some of the room's acoustic, but that the same Recording -2 or -3 presets used with large monitor loudspeakers can sound slightly thick or the reverb sound is a tad too much; in which case I switch to Prelude or Sweet (or Warm) presets, and go from there.  A long time ago, when I did most of my work with AKG 702 headphones, I couldn't understand why the Prelude or Home or Jazz presets sounded so "dry" to my ears in headphones!  Now, I know the answer is that there is something for everyone in terms of presets that work well with either speakers or headphones.  My use of ducking is my own way of compromising how to make loudspeakers get along with the headphone experience, and vice versa.    There is enough variation from instrument to instrument that I have never suggested that Modart furnish a type of ducking function to the list of presets.

Cheers,

Joe

tmyoung wrote:

In addition to ducking, there is one small trick I've worked with that seems to really help--especially with rendering large ensembles in large spaces.  Quality out-board (and extremely expensive) reverb units like the TC6000 randomly merge 10-20 different reverbs to make the sound come alive and make the space less static while maintaining a generally consistent reverb sound.  I love convolution reverbs and use them as my main reverb, but on long recordings you start to notice a lifeless consistency or repetition to the sound, so I've been experimenting in my mixes for some time with an in-between solution: apply an appropriate convolution file through a good convolving engine to the file, and then later--on another FX track or downstream plugin chain--add 1-3% algorithmic reverb, and finally--only on the algorithmic reverb track--use your DAW's automation function to randomize (or nearly randomize it like by applying a slow moving triangle wave) the density of the reverb from 1-3% throughout the track.  This idea can be stacked several times and percentages and randomizations adjusted to "taste."  I've found that 5-7 times or more gets way too heavy, but easily 1-3 times at these low percentages is enough to enliven the convoluted reverb without drowning in it, which gives a more believable richer sound, that should also more easily bridge the gap between loudspeaker soundscapes and headphone soundscapes, without needing $20K reverb hardware.

Have any listenable example to post, or, a comparison to pinpoint a $20,000.00 reverb hardware unit usage versus your small trick?

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (15-01-2020 10:29)

Another basic thing to try:
See if Pianoteq still sounds good with headphones, but without any reverb. If so, try with speakers again, and assess the difference.  This might be a simpler thing to try, before the ducking reverb thing.

Greg

Beware!

Someone deserves a KISS (that is) keep it simple stupid.  Anyone who has posted about reverbs now seems to deserve one.

Skip perhaps better yet, if you run a test with loudspeakers without reverb, you will determine whether or not reverb is your culprit.  You remove it entirely from any equation.

While many were close, with it ducked suggested, skip, you deserve to get all the credit for your suggestion.  I am just still wondering if any of the Pianoteq audio demos sound fine through a pair of rocbryan’s speakers.

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (15-01-2020 06:35)

rocbryan, try this software in your listening room.  It can be used with a regular microphone, but I have the best luck with a small condenser omni or a decent spl meter.

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

Check to see if there are significant room modes (usually something significant between 50-250Hz depending on how close the speakers are to the walls).  Most speakers should put out a "decent" range of lows, mids, and highs that are fairly even.  Cabinet designs even on lower-grade speakers are usually pretty good, and since you mention that you've tried at least 5 sets, it could be something to do with the space.

I found in my studio which is a tiny 10' x 10' or so space, the ceiling and open walls were the worst culprits of loss of sound.  I think I had room modes at 60hz and 120hz, which I fixed by building a cloud, using denim insulation between the speakers and corners of the room, 4" foam on the largest flat wall, and building isolators for my loudspeakers.  The cloud is stacks of wedged foam on an angled 1x2 rig wired to the ceiling, the isolators are 1'x1' floor tiles on several layers of hard foam insulation in a masonite tray, and the denim insulation is just in the bags it came in stuffed into some bookshelves.  It's not perfect, but the results are excellent considering that the price for everything, including a 24 band eq to further smooth the room modes, for well under $200 USD (about ten years ago).

While the frequencies I had trouble with were at the low end of the spectrum, those same modes can appear at 250hz, and 500hz, etc. depending on the angle and distance of your studio walls.  Also, make sure that you're not sitting in the center of the room, because all control rooms will be a little dead in that space, if you go into a professional control room, they won't be square, and the mix desk will sit about 1/3 from the wall on the longest side, and the couches or other seating will be at about 2/3 of the longest side of the room.  Also see if the distance between the speakers and the walls changes where the "hole" is in the sound.

Final thought, see if isolating any of the speakers helps.  Good stands or isolators tend to make any speaker sound cleaner because the desk, piano, table, shelf, or wall can absorb sound and then sympathetically vibrate at a different frequency than its absorbing--often in the bass or mids--which is a real problem, especially if they're resting on something made of wood.

In answer to Ra, here are two videos showing the TC6000 against VST/algorithmic reverbs, and any of the videos I've posted in the recordings area of the forum will have my reverb combo, like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf1jxqQ8nxQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM02GXXeHH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssKUKqGd-f8

Casio GP300

lovelovemale wrote:

Hi rocbryan,

this has been a topic over and over again, unfortunately not with a very happy outcome.
I had the same issue long time ago, I tried it with Audio Technica ATH M50x headphones it Pianoteq sounded really really good!
Then I connected it to my Yamaha HS5 - flat and lifeless. Then I bought JBL LSR 308s... it still felt lifeless. I bought a Focuscrite Audio interface because I thought it is my Macbook... no improvement. Then I bought another Audio Interface from Mackie, still no improvement.
Then I thought I might be missing a subwoofer... so I got the LSR310s, but still the sound didn't sound close as good as on headphones.

Honestly the best speakers I had through Pianoteq were the iLoud Micro Monitors. With those Pianoteq sounded better with some settings (steinway D intimate, Bechstein sweet). But let me save you a lot of disappointment, it will never sound as good as on headphones. It's just a different ballgame when you use headphones.
I also just bought a Kawai CA 98 two days ago, it's got 6 speakers with the soundboard designed to make you feel vibrations etc. It's good, it sounds not bad through speakers but it's like 10 times better through my headphones compared to speakers. I guess you would have to got for like SUPER expensive speakers plus room treatment to somewhat simulate a headphone experience.

What you could try is to play with the effect equalizer in Pianoteq... give it a bass boost for instance, I bet it will make it sound better through your monitors, but it won't sound as clear and still punchy and full of dynamic as it does through a headphone!
I'm sorry I don't have better news and probably some people in this forum might say not it will sound AMAZING through speakers but
the truth is tricky, however there is only one version of it

I love Pianoteq, especially through my headphones it sounds really good and playability is great. It's not just Pianoteq, as I said even my new top of the line digital piano sounds much better through headphones than through its advertised speakers and soundboard, which is not bad, it's ok but it doesn't have the wow effect.

In case you have the chance got to a music store and try Pianoteq with some iLoud Micro Monitors, those somehow sounded better than my Yamaha HS5 and JBL LSR 308s. Again tricky but the truth is the truth!

Keep us posted about your progress!

Just came back home from work and played a while the piano with pianoteq through my CA97 speakers.. not bad, but still missing that wow factor, I switched between those and my monitors (M-AUDIO BX5) and still couldn't say the sound was much better.. unlike with the headphones.

And to be honest, I actually prefered the way it sounded through my internal speakers rather than through my monitors, although the best experience is still with headphones.

Well, was to write a post about it (again) because of my frustration, and found these post here which I cannot agree more word by word, literally.

Gotta please yourself with what you get, which is still nice, not perfect, let's call it different

Regards,
David

P85>Kawai CA97>Numa XGT>FP90X>LX706
Pianoteq 8 Pro (all instruments) + Organteq 2
i7 4790K W10 64bits + Behringer UMC1820
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz

davidizquierdo82 wrote:

Just came back home from work and played a while the piano with pianoteq through my CA97 speakers.. not bad, but still missing that wow factor, I switched between those and my monitors (M-AUDIO BX5) and still couldn't say the sound was much better.. unlike with the headphones.

And to be honest, I actually prefered the way it sounded through my internal speakers rather than through my monitors, although the best experience is still with headphones.

Well, was to write a post about it (again) because of my frustration, and found these post here which I cannot agree more word by word, literally.

Gotta please yourself with what you get, which is still nice, not perfect, let's call it different

Regards,
David

Hi David,

glad and "sad" you agree.
I have  been trying to get a "wow" sound on speakers for quite some time and got lots of equipment for it. Again Pianoteq sounds really really very good through my headphones (Audio Technica ATH M50x). Super fun to play through headphones.

Since you have a CA97... on my CA98 the Bechstein sweet present with a little bass boost sounded not bad.
Not wow but quite o.k.
Maybe version 7 might bring some changes on speakers.

Happy playing

lovelovemale wrote:
davidizquierdo82 wrote:

Regards,
David

Hi David,

glad and "sad" you agree.
I have  been trying to get a "wow" sound on speakers for quite some time and got lots of equipment for it. Again Pianoteq sounds really really very good through my headphones (Audio Technica ATH M50x). Super fun to play through headphones.

Since you have a CA97... on my CA98 the Bechstein sweet present with a little bass boost sounded not bad.
Not wow but quite o.k.
Maybe version 7 might bring some changes on speakers.

Happy playing

I completely share your thoughts.

In addition, I also tried several other VST pianos (sampled) through my internal speakers, and funny enough the result was more than decent if not perfect.

As an example, "The Noir" "The Gentleman" "Galaxy 2 pianos" and some other, just sound awesome through the internal speakers, it's vibrating and surrounding, which makes you forget you're sitting in front of a digital.

Even on-board sounds properly tweaked, sound excellent and way better than PTQ through internal speakers.

I'm starting to think that the fact of PTQ to be modelled is what's making that big difference opposite to sampled pianos, when heard through the internal speakers..

Not sure it makes sense, but just trying to find an explanation for the results..

Regards,
David

P85>Kawai CA97>Numa XGT>FP90X>LX706
Pianoteq 8 Pro (all instruments) + Organteq 2
i7 4790K W10 64bits + Behringer UMC1820
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz

I could say I'm sad to read those last few posts too.

What I observe from an audio engineering/producer type perspective - there are levels to these things. User experiences and expectations are all over the place - and nobody knows whether the reader is on their wavelength.

That's why I often say I'm talking from experience, or frame it as an audio engineering perspective (or maybe I don't do that enough?).. but please forgive - I only have time to spit a few curt lines - hopefully deeper ideas can spring from those.. but here some timeless things...

I see and read words of at-home users of audio gear, or musicians at home spaces (not professional studios):

I see a piano against a wall. Like, tight up against it.

5 Inch speakers, are never going to make as good a sound as headphones.

Expensive headphones might sound OK - but no doubt, you can research what's in the top studios and make some personal judgement about whether those 'phones are worthwhile.

Even so, you might not like those - because they are "flat" frequency response "reference" 'phones. You have to know the difference - the "Why" in why would I use those?

Otherwise, you're confusing technical listening with "relaxing to the nicest sounds possible".

You buy big fat stereo loudspeakers to hear a real piano in your room (or minimum 8inc monitors).

Everything else, is like David Lynch says, "thinking you've watched a.. movie. On your ...**ing TELEPHONE - Get real!" It's not a lie.

There's a world of things we all can make better about our space, but I can't take seriously, "it sounds better" if I see a Kawai against a wall.

(I own an upright Kawai dpiano also - I back that thing out at least a metre or 2 or it's 1 dimensional - no wonder people have trouble hearing audio if they only play on these otherwise sweet babies, but astronomically prefer Pianoteq with my MP11 over no less than 8inch monitors).

Hope some of that gruff advice helps - seriously - not a judgemental thing - I do think a lot of people only have time, and some learning curves between themselves, and making great audio.

@davidizquierdo82,

I'd love your next years' Pianoteq competition video to blow minds with improved audio  - and everyone's to be honest - I know you can improve that audio! It's definitely newb stuff - don't be afraid to learn more -- reaching out to you to keep looking for ways to improve it.. it can be done - I'm 5 decades too long into these things - online here, it's impossible without visiting your studio space to really help much more than the things I've written here and in past posts, and all the other Pianoteq users also trying to help with so much of their time - but don't give up - that, to me, would be the saddest thing.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Qexl wrote:

5 Inch speakers, are never going to make as good a sound as headphones

I would have agreed on this until recently when I tried and acquired ART RM5 active speakers. They DO sound as good as high-quality headphones (IMHO). They indeed have only 5-inch woofers, but they also feature passive radiators on both sides, and they are only -3dB at 45 Hz...
They are quite small and wall mountable through a standard VESA mount in the back. After trying all kinds of systems, I am extremely happy with these for Pianoteq. I have never heard such small speakers sound so full and immersive. I can play for hours at a variety of sound levels and don't get ear fatigue. I love the fact that they are small and elegant in our living room environment. Check them out https://artproaudio.com/product-categor...-monitors/

PT 7.3 with Steinway B and D, U4 upright, YC5, Bechstein DG, Steingraeber, Ant. Petrov, Kremsegg Collection #2, Electric Pianos and Hohner Collection. http://antoinewcaron.com

rocbryan wrote:

It's early days in my testing here but today I looked at speaker placement. I use some old Akai speakers (from an 80's boom box), they are 8 ohm and I really like their clarity, not great on bass but nothing a subwoofer can't solve. I was finding the treble overpowering but I still thought I could solve this. Eq was the obvious choice but wanted them flat responding. I then put each speaker at each far end of my VPC1, always figured the closer, almost in front of me would replicate headphones, but this wider placement has lowered the high frequencies in volume (as they are coming from further away) and now the mids are smooth and realistic. The panning is not affected by my movement when playing as much (way too obvious left to right before), similar to headphones now, but still 3D. Anyway this is day one on wide speaker placement for me and things are looking/sounding promising. P.s I use a Yamaha AV amp to power the speakers, no audio interface just Asio4all (totally happy there).

Last edited by MeDorian (25-01-2020 04:25)

A question on speaker placement, would the ideal speaker placement, as in the width be the same as the piano soundboard/string length? For example a 7 foot piano with AB or BA mic positions and speakers set 7 feet apart (sorry for not using metric) to accurately reproduce this sound, or player perspective mics having speakers set roughly the keyboard width. These distances (mainly the 7 foot example) would seem quite normal in a high end hi fi set up and to me fairly rare that these hi fi speakers would be placed close (at approximately 1 metre for example).

Last edited by MeDorian (29-01-2020 13:46)

In Standard and Pro, you've got two choices: go for a standard stereo spec configuration (60 degree equilateral triangle which I use) or a forward-facing pair matched directly to the microphones virtual position and output channels perhaps with an added delay fx to simulate the depth of the piano (this is why most "player position" presets have delay turned on).  With the latter approach, you could create any configuration of speakers (one closer and one farther, or two together, or two five feet apart, or five speakers total in different positions throughout the room) but you would need very exacting control of microphone to speaker channel, which is only really possible in Standard/Pro.  While i haven't tested this, as long as your speakers match your microphone positions reasonably exactly, the sound they produce will be effective.

I know that the Yamaha Clavinova CVP-809 ($16K USD) functions on a similar principle along with a few other flagship digital pianos from Kurzweil or Kawai that either have soundboards and transducers or otherwise simulate being at a large piano by speakers placed where the hammers and soundboard should be.  I honestly have no idea how much these give good or gimmicky results, but I think you could easily create a solid DIY version of those ideas with PTQ.

Casio GP300

tmyoung wrote:

In Standard and Pro, you've got two choices: go for a standard stereo spec configuration (60 degree equilateral triangle which I use) or a forward-facing pair matched directly to the microphones virtual position and output channels perhaps with an added delay fx to simulate the depth of the piano (this is why most "player position" presets have delay turned on).  With the latter approach, you could create any configuration of speakers (one closer and one farther, or two together, or two five feet apart, or five speakers total in different positions throughout the room) but you would need very exacting control of microphone to speaker channel, which is only really possible in Standard/Pro.  While i haven't tested this, as long as your speakers match your microphone positions reasonably exactly, the sound they produce will be effective.

I know that the Yamaha Clavinova CVP-809 ($16K USD) functions on a similar principle along with a few other flagship digital pianos from Kurzweil or Kawai that either have soundboards and transducers or otherwise simulate being at a large piano by speakers placed where the hammers and soundboard should be.  I honestly have no idea how much these give good or gimmicky results, but I think you could easily create a solid DIY version of those ideas with PTQ.

Thanks for your reply, I have at the movement my speakers approximately 5 and a half feet wide and they sound much clearer . Things will start to get interesting as a new subwoofer is just about now to be delivered at my door...more on this later

After intense testing I have come to my conclusion, headphones for playing and speakers for playback. I wish there was a way to use speakers when playing but the compromise is too much, timing in my playing suffers with the speaker delay in sound. I wonder though, has anyone managed successfully to use the Bose Soundwear with Pianoteq?...just checked the Bose are not suitable, no line in just Bluetooth.

Last edited by MeDorian (02-02-2020 00:20)

tmyoung wrote:

Joe,

<...>
I wonder if there's an additional dimension caused by the practical difference between the player's perspective and the audience perspective that correlates with some challenges I've noticed myself and colleagues dealing with.

Your thoughts?

(And let me add that your samples are excellent, and I've bought a lot of PTQ versions and instrument packs just based on what I listened to in the demos area.  So you've been doing very effective and professional work!)

Hello Mr. Young,

I definitely concur with you there is a huge difference between the piano player's perspective and the audience' perspective.  When I sit at a fine grand piano with the lid opened, I definitely hear the keyboard's action and hammers striking the string less than a few feet (<60cm) from my face.  Also I hear that the initial impacts of hammers upon the strings originate at approximately chest level while seated at the bench.  Moreover, the panning of the notes is typically lower notes towards my left, highest notes towards my right and four octaves of the grand staff generally directly in front of me.  Also, I am aware of early reflections of the notes coming from the inside back of the case, and I hear sound slightly overhead as it reflects off the inside of the raised piano lid.

When I listen to someone else play the piano, unless I am standing directly behind the performer (which rarely happens in real life), I generally hear the piano's sounds from the perspective of being seated to the right of the piano's lid-opened case.  As a listener, now I am aware of the keyboard's action noises originate from the "left side" of the instrument from my audience's listening perspective; depending on whether the piano is on a stage and I am seated nearby below stage level, I sometimes hear the pedal trap work and soundboard from "beneath" the piano.  If seated at floor/stage level (or standing), I hear a similar left-right perspective corresponding to the front/back of the piano's case, but the sound is more clearly heard reflecting off the inside the raised piano lid. (At this juncture, I am ignoring the sound of the listening environment, a topic of separate discussion.)

Typically the panning of the live sound is as follows:  the piano is panned NEITHER hard right nor hard left; rather the sound source is located in front of me and is spread usually no more than, say, ranging from 30 degrees to the left to about 30 degrees to the right of my listening position.  (Only on rare occasions would I be seated so close to the piano's case that the front-back distance of the piano sound as though it was panned hard left to hard right.)

Now, if one were to replace an actual piano with two large studio monitor speakers such as my B&W Matrix 801 Series II's, every recording of the piano would be instantly recognized as a "recording" because two loudspeakers cannot duplicate the experience of a real piano in front of me.  Sorry, but compared to the real thing, no matter how good they are purported to be, all loudspeakers sound like "table radios" in comparison to a real instrument.  One cannot expect even a pair of 12" (30cm) diameter woofers to take the place of a real spruce soundboard whose surface area measures on the order of  square yards or square meters.  It is a human condition with a great leap of faith to hear a pair or more of 5" (13cm) speakers and convince the owner that he/she is listening to a real piano.

Enough of my rambling.  Hope this sheds light on the futility of loudspeakers being mistaken for the sound of a real piano.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (03-02-2020 08:55)

We need at least 88 speakers spread across a 4' x 8' resonant enclosure!

- David

Have been trying different setups recently and convincing myself how much improvement the sound has become, sometimes a bit clearer mainly due to wide speaker placement but still way off. Yesterday I brought my old Denon AVR-2800 down from the attic, did a reset on the amp and works again, at least for now. The set up was this Denon amp, a Roth subwoofer and because the amp says 6-16 ohms I tried using two Sony surround speakers (for the main L and R), I took the front grills off and they have a better appearance now. I wasn't expecting anything close to good (at best just to give me something to work on), but played the Pianoteq demo so I could hear from all angles and it's the best sound I've had, used active monitors in the past but this sound is much clearer in comparison. Another surprise was while the demo was playing I went into another room, it sounded like a piano and not a stereo with muffled sound.

Last edited by MeDorian (04-02-2020 20:30)

jcfelice88keys wrote:

Hope this sheds light on the futility of loudspeakers being mistaken for the sound of a real piano.

Excellent insights as always!

dklein wrote:

Oh, you exaggerate...All we really need is 40 pieces of highest-grade sprucewood joined with a little ribbing, a half-a-dozen to a dozen transducers, three sturdy wooden legs with gold casters, a serviceable/replaceable keyboard, a few pedals that don't move around, and one large curved speaker cabinet with an adjustable lid--preferably in a fine black enamel.

MeDorian wrote:

Another surprise was while the demo was playing I went into another room, it sounded like a piano and not a stereo with muffled sound.

Splendid!  I'm thrilled you're getting better results.  In my small, almost "attic" studio (the same one as my profile picture shows), everyone who walks by seems to prefer the PTQ sound from outside the room.  While my setup really isn't bad, passersby always want to "hear the concert in the hallway" instead...

Casio GP300

tmyoung wrote:
jcfelice88keys wrote:

Hope this sheds light on the futility of loudspeakers being mistaken for the sound of a real piano.

Excellent insights as always!

dklein wrote:

Oh, you exaggerate...All we really need is 40 pieces of highest-grade sprucewood joined with a little ribbing, a half-a-dozen to a dozen transducers, three sturdy wooden legs with gold casters, a serviceable/replaceable keyboard, a few pedals that don't move around, and one large curved speaker cabinet with an adjustable lid--preferably in a fine black enamel.

MeDorian wrote:

Another surprise was while the demo was playing I went into another room, it sounded like a piano and not a stereo with muffled sound.

Splendid!  I'm thrilled you're getting better results.  In my small, almost "attic" studio (the same one as my profile picture shows), everyone who walks by seems to prefer the PTQ sound from outside the room.  While my setup really isn't bad, passersby always want to "hear the concert in the hallway" instead...

It would be great if any Pianoteq user would give this setup (or approximately) a go. Subwoofer (12 o'clock volume) with frequency moved up just enough to fill the mids (slightly!), a good hi fi amp (I'm using an old Yamaha AV amp), and the big surprise, Sony 3 inch driver 6 ohm surround speakers (x2) on stands at a good 5 feet apart (not the ones with micro tweeters). I can find myself leaning back on big chords now, don't really know the reason but the sound and panning, and more importantly, mid frequencies (before these were so prominent it was difficult to even think) are now corrected. My aim was to get close to my AKG 702s, looking that I am getting close. P.s I use the analogue outs from pc, Asio4all and have pianoteq set to 64 samples, 256 poly no issues, no audio interface. EDIT: I am going to try a Technics amp tonight when it arrives, there might be a need to run the tape outs or pre outs to a small mixer, then out to the subwoofer, not all amps have a dedicated sub out.

Last edited by MeDorian (06-02-2020 19:20)

I think my subwoofer suggestion settings were a bit off in my last post, it seems best to start with nearly minimum volume and gradually increase until it matches the main speaker volume. As for the frequency, I am still working on the best setting. I have it today set less than the half way mark, it ranges from 80 to 160 hz so my guess is around 100hz?

Last edited by MeDorian (09-02-2020 18:45)

Regarding my setup, everything seems in order, the subwoofer was the difficult part, in my case volume set to about one third. To set my system up I used the radio (BBC), going through all channels to check the volume, panning (monitors distance apart) and EQ, speech on radio needed to be clear, and Radio 3 been the most tested, perfect to test piano and other acoustic instruments. Listening to heavy synth bass (Radio 1 for example) is also useful, these higher volume levels can be tested here. I would then try Pianoteq, going back to radio testing until Pianoteq and Radio 3 (my priority) were both sounding as I wanted. I would think if a Pianoteq user was using active monitors, then some EQ would be required. On Windows I was able to use the HP EQ after I enabled it in Control Panel, preferences, allow enhancements. I don't require this though as my system has complete hardware EQ, and haven't tested the pc internal EQ with Pianoteq, sure there's a way though? EDIT: EQ with Asio4all didn't work but I'm no expert on computers. If it were not possible to EQ outside of Pianoteq (and I was using active monitors) I would use a hardware EQ between interface and monitors. Also if global internal EQ is applied for loudspeaker use, then this should be switched off for headphone use as no room correction is required.

Last edited by MeDorian (10-02-2020 22:57)

Here's a good article on selecting crossover for any scenario:

https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/tips-...-subwoofer

Casio GP300

tmyoung wrote:

Here's a good article on selecting crossover for any scenario:

https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/tips-...-subwoofer

Thanks tmyoung! Yes I'm not that far from the suggested crossover, the 120 hz approx for bookshelf but in my case very small surrounds been driven by a 2x85 watt amp, way above the speaker rating but no signs of distortion. This 'over powering' (at least on paper) has always been the way I recall is recommended by hi fi enthusiasts and I have always gone for more power=less distortion.

Last edited by MeDorian (10-02-2020 22:58)

On speakers, I did in recent days with Pianoteq & Organteq a test with old hi-fi equipment very heteroclyte downstream of my DAC Aun S6.
I used all around my Casio GP500 keyboard, simultaneously the following 3 systems: (all the speakers being placed less than 80cm from the player, to benefit from a proximity effect).
** Yahama A-500 amplifier 2x85w rms on 2 Triangle Maestro ES speakers, 2 ways Bass-reflex channels (including 16cm boomer and ogive tweeter) 91db / 1w / 1m (55-20000hz +/- 3db) +
** Pioneer A-119 amplifier 2x30w rms on 2 "vintage" Cabasse Sloop M4 speakers (output 94db / w / m) 3-way with 30cm boomers unfortunately for bass, in closed box, 10 cm medium and dome tweeter. (60-20000hz +/- 3db)
** Sony 2x70w rms digital amplifier (CMT-HX70BTR) 2-way bass reflex with 13cm fiberglass boomers and dome tweeter +
  2 x MartinLogan Grotto-i bass-reflex bass box (25.4cm boomer) on dedicated 300w rms amplifier each (22-120hz +/- 3db)
A Behringer parametric ultra curve equalizer DEQ2496, installed on the Yahama amplifier is configured
to try to balance a bit the subs and Triangle Maestro ES speakers, as tone contrôles are used on the 2 other amplifiers to limit low medium (sony) to rise treble and middle bass (Pioneer)

To test the audio performance of this system, I generated with Audacity tones between 16hz to 25khz at moderate level, reproduced by my DAC aune S6 at 96khz 32 bits, in order to be able to measure the result obtained (frequency response, phase shifts and distortion) with a pair of microphones at the position of the player's head, re-recording the reproduced sound.

The results obtained confirm my preference for using headphones to reproduce Pianoteq or Organteq as well as possible.

** Audio config with speakers: link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/z2hiXyhaerKX7kvZ9
** Test results at the player's head position (ORTF mics SE-8 match pair): link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nA8mUgiwVbTX4Xqt5
(the results are for the whole system, mics included,  the result whas captured by an Audient id-14 interface at 96k 24bits)
** Mics position for tests: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lf29jamm5M1tDAnh8  and  https://photos.app.goo.gl/PHn2g5JJx6o2QziKA

** Result audio system flac file: (703Mo 96k/24bits): http://dl.free.fr/kD0hoZlsh
** Original audio (before reproduction by speakers audio system): 96k/24bits, -8 db level flac file: http://dl.free.fr/kV0CQLto3

NB: On the audio file result, with Audacity, it is interesting to note at the very beginning of the generation of a new tone the appearance of a distortion (not measured here) which diminishes in the seconds which follow, especially on the frequencies very bass.

Bruno

Last edited by bm (11-02-2020 09:14)

Very nice recording setup Bruno! I too favor headphones because of the two main problems with loudspeakers (assuming they are of hifi quality), the room response (easy to see in you graphics) and interaural crosstalk that ruins the stereo image by mixing both channels at each ear (worse if there is more than two...)

A room can be physically modified to get a flatter response or with the use of digital room correction optimized for a sweet spot, and there are speakers that try to adress the second problem (some Polk loudspeakers for example) but all that is resolved more easily with even moderate quality headphones.

Of course, if you want to play to an audience...

Here is a reference for digital room correction: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/10/2...-room.html

Last edited by Gilles (11-02-2020 14:31)

Gilles wrote:

A room can be physically modified to get a flatter response or with the use of digital room correction optimized for a sweet spot, and there are speakers that try to adress the second problem (some Polk loudspeakers for example) but all that is resolved more easily with even moderate quality headphones.

Of course, if you want to play to an audience...

Here is a reference for digital room correction: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/10/2...-room.html

Thank you for this link, edifying on the work to be done to balance the sound in a room of medium size ...

The performance of a headphones, even at moderate price, is indeed much better than that of a set of speakers, especially for distortion.
As an indication of what you can expect from a headphones (unfortunately I am not properly equipped to do the verification myself)
NB: other models are tested on this site.
HD600 (Sennheiser) link: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/i...2019.7499/
Thror (Kennerton) that i use for Pianoteq, link: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/i...ents.7072/

As the loudspeakers in our homes are among other victims of the misdeeds of Mr Schroeder (*), without headphones, no salvation  ...
... unless one day?, Pianoteq can allow us to draw the geometric shape of our room (in 3d) and offering sound absorption options for each surface, to offer an even more complete modeling of the rendering with speakers that it would be possible to place in this volume ...

Bruno

(*) link: https://brekkestrand.no/wp-content/uplo...isited.pdf
and: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/...ell-part-1

Last edited by bm (12-02-2020 08:38)

Some good testing there bm and good points Gilles! I almost lost confidence in my own setup and knowledge with these last few comments/posts (very 'in deapth', great stuff!), but if a system works then it's best to trust ones ears. I have now gone 'headphones free' with Pianoteq use, it seems the only way to finally draw full attention to this headphone/speaker situation. The surrounds and sub with a good hi fi amp has given me the closest sound to my AKG 702s, it wouldn't pass any 'professional' (not my favourite word) testing but is a good playing experience. One reason is, no tweeters but full range drivers, all speakers with tweeters I tested have been discarded from my system, the direction and crosstalk (as Gilles mentioned) is just not an issue now with these single drivers. Another issue with headphones is they are for personal use, making videos with headphones is not an option really and as for playing Pianoteq with friends and fellow musicians (with speakers), then one is suddenly playing a setup that is unfamiliar (if headphones are used daily) . Using headphones exclusively you will not be 'match-fit'.

Last edited by MeDorian (12-02-2020 18:42)

Good to see your progress MeDorian.

Depending on what we're trying to accomplish, it certainly helps to recognise things such as our own preconceptions about what we're 'supposed to do'.

Sometimes things outside the norm will work best for us and often, it takes looking at what 'the norms are' to discover something we think might help our own experience.

In these threads, plenty of people intermix ideas about:

a) piano-in-a-room, in the same way they may simultaneously speak of

b) 'recorded stereo piano' (like on an album)..

2 very different outcomes for the most part.

Without a super-long essay (just typing as I think - so hopefully it doesn't read back as having too much energy put in.. just ideas), I'm just going to post a list of reasons for Why I recommend 8inch monitors - mostly this relates to case 'b' above (recognising others are going to just fine with different speaker types). Just trying to take my own subjectivity out for a spin in this case.. it's not about re-creating a living piano in my space - or saying that's the goal.. it's about helping others who are embarking on a path towards recording and mixing their output for others to listen to on their wide ranges of devices. In a good studio, I still consider 8inch array as "the workhorse".. hopefully the reasons make sense below.

With 8inch monitors (Yamaha HS8 my pref.)

I can hear/feel enough bass (I just can't with lower sizes)

relating to that, there's less necessity to check mixes against other smaller and larger speakers, as I find from experience, 8inches = a great work-horse size.. what I mix on these I can have firm confidence in the output. I am at sea with smaller speakers, as well as just larger ones.. 8 really is the best for me, to get things right from the bottom to the top (only need to check on large speakers last - instead of piecemeal changing up and down the speaker size all the time - more productive in terms of "reference" therefore, if that's something of concern). You don't mix all day on the large speakers (although many will - I have experienced the down sides to that too - just be sure it's mentioned.. 8inch monitors is not just about being 'better' than smaller speakers, nor 'better' than large - just more efficient, more fully aware of the mix in ways which other sizes are not in my experience). One example: A studio I worked at I think early 80s had only tiny plus huge monitors.. I've seen the same mistake more than a few times.. all their work had midrange holes.. no labels or serious artists booked time.. they went to different studios.. it was YEARS too long before I realised why.. and 8inch monitors = though not a silver bullet, they are a great size for main workflow to take place.

less ear fatigue. This matters too, if you're main goal is mixing your recordings of Pianoteq. It's nice to hear everything on great large speakers but, even in a top tier studio setting, I like to hear things mostly on 8s. You can stay aware of all elements of the sound without being overwhelmed at all times with lavish bass and air (8s give this detail but subtly and in a way that you can hear/understand what/which you are pushing or limiting etc.. it's something which cannot be done as "quickly/easily/reliably" on other sizes IMO) - more than if you just used large monitors. I enjoy switching to the bigs for the Champagne experience in short bursts.. it's motivating and keeps the ears in a groove.. everyone is different for sure but I think this is 'sane' for esp. new audio mixers to suss out.

An example: my first engagement with a near top tier studio many decades back and some other lesser follow up studios, were hampered by a lack of mid sized speakers. Strangely their mixes had outrageous holes in the midrange - and likely because they did all mixing and monitoring, from start to finish, on super large speakers only checking momentarily on old transistor radio type speakers, from time to time, to hear what things might sound like on very small systems (yeah, mono AM radio was big back then, when we still wore onions on our belts and all that memery) .. and esp. these days, home stereos are mid to small compared - so these days even a better reason for 8s IMO). In a modern studio today, I think that describes something entirely cowboy and you'd likely find a bunch of different sized monitoring arrays to be able to check with at a switch.. but 8inch would still be my 90% of the time work-horse. In a way I'm happier doing most of this at home on 8s now. A full studio kit is still a whole hell of a thing to run.. compared to a PC and a small spend on our studio environment (competitive too - I'd hate to be on the hook like some of my friends for hundreds of thou just for a big studio 'brand' to sell clients.. but I'm not competing for those). Just to show that even outside a nice studio, I'll pick 8s.

from my experience, mixing things nicely in mids to upper (an area which can make or break a nice mix - as problematic as "mud" in most home demo stuff) is easier to just hear once and finally set on 8s.. again, on 5s or 3s or huge speakers, this can be entirely missing data.. just a personal perspective - not sure of what data is available out there but to me, the 8s allow me to hear a full picture and what I mix seems more often right (without fuss) on other systems with much less 'effort'. Think of a photographer, framing a photo on their fav camera.. they 'imagineer' the final framed item perhaps.. it's almost that blocked in for me with 8inch monitors.. I can sense "this is it" or not in a snap.

they allow JUST enough immersion, or what I think of relating to suspension of disbelief. (helpful for those "also" liking at least some of case 'a' above) I never hope to suggest 8inch monitors do this best.. of course, we can fill a stadium with audio, and a good front of house system can emulate a thousand pianos (in terms of volume).. but in our own space, we need to consider..

"What is my goal?" as much as "What is my budget?".

flat response, which includes most frequencies others will hear. Probably more essays required on this - but researchable online of course for anyone wanting the skinny.. why would a studio want flat response monitoring?

On the other hand, if wanting a sweet fat, full sound, and not concerned with mixing for others, it's probably better budget material to go with some large used stereo equipment with a nice valve amp or just through a nice old stereo set if not interested in tinkering - or a couple of larger speakers with and external audio unit).

For the most part, I'm speaking of home studio setup with most typical things from what we can accomplish with our PC/Pianoteq.

If no budget limits - either a full piano body with transducers - or some FOH (sorry, front of house like P.A. systems in a venue, from small to stadium) system with horns could be appropriate - but of course most users I think will be wanting to record at home and enjoy playing piano in their rooms.

Again, thus my 8inch recommendation - to me, this cuts the mustard here in both scenarios with no more to spend - and the ability to operate smoothly in both worlds - 2 birds with the one stone etc. I'd feel wrong to give people hope in searching for some magic 3inch speaker with hyped tech "bass boost extreme" with "side port" etc.. that is a mix of old and new tech perhaps, but have seen it all before and gave it up in the 80s - seriously nothing has made my ears happy since then, other than when I am sat before a pair of 8s (at least in terms of mixing for long periods or what I'd like at home for a studio in one size).

After so many decades kicking tyres in the audio space, I WISH someone would have given me this info in the 70s.. I did seem to have to work with a lot of horrible setups first, for this to make so much sense though.. so maybe we do all need to clunk around with our own ideas before such a simple thing as 8inch monitoring format finally makes sense to us.. or maybe I'm still subjective and projecting my own goals onto others.. but what else is a forum for, hoping these ideas can save others substantial time and money may mean more and better recordings into the world of music is my only goal here, not self promotion or selling some service.. just relating what I've found to be pretty darn solid over a long enough time-line to seem valid for others - the rest as they say, is up to us - and maybe your experiences will tally differently to mine (there are fewer and yet more rules as the world changes - but I still think 8inch platform is bees knees for the foreseeable

I could likely go on - but in most ways, the 8inch framework is more about being an appropriate budget home studio work horse, than being a piano-in-the-room.. but with smaller sizes, I can't enjoy any of these benefits listed..

Hope that's of further help to readers considering all these things.. it's really easy for me to say "I recommend this" without context - and I feel that maybe I've failed to add context to my recommendation of 8inch near-fields in the past. I guess I felt the need to establish that - not wanting to seem just to blurt out "8inch is best" without some basis to it. And I'm not arguing against anything counter BTW - and maybe I'm a minority in my love of the format for recording/mixing (headphones taking up only 5% for that - but I love those for just listening for enjoyment - to point out another difference which may not be peculiar to others).

None of this post about speakers gets into issues around room acoustics, or which sample rates etc. and how various other things in the chain which we use can make a difference (and if our DAC is killing our detail in various ways etc.)

In some sense, someone at home with Pianoteq and a PC has some choices ahead.. and if the goal is recording, then do consider 8inch near-field monitors as I do believe my own hype above.. but also, look at your room acoustics and you'll certainly have research to do at least online.. and you'll want to try various things to liven or dampen things with baffles or foam or egg cartons or etc.. again though, each to their own.. and sometimes, just a nice pair of near-fields is enough because:

Another nice thing about 8inch near-fields is that you can become rationally accustomed to them fairly close up to our ears (feeling that whole stereo environment fairly closely when working - and sit back further when listening for enjoyment), so as to lessen the problems of your own acoustic space esp. when working.. bada bing, bada boom. I can't experience that same equiv scenario with 5 or 3, therefore cannot recommend that size.

Also, BTW - all this is primarily in terms of 'improving our audio output' (so readers new to 'recording our own music' could be in for some learning curves beyond what speakers might be good to try) - BUT if we stick with Pianoteq defaults, probably not so much of this matters.. again, also just noting (in case skipped up top) I'm talking primarily about reliably outputting our audio with the 'b' case scenario in mind..

Anyone in the 'a' case scenario could find way more room to move in terms of speaker types, arrangement and so on. (not mentioning that transducers in a piano body probably wins this case for now).

And like others say, definitely enjoy reading everyone's ideas and concepts - and agree with others who have said it, what a fabulous community this is.

Best of luck y'all!

Thank you very much Qexl for all of us, for this great professional feedback.

While I was about to abandon any new test with speakers, (remaining - but this is only a personal opinion - convinced that the headphones allow a more precise sound experience with the necessarily limited budget of a non professional), I must admit that - even as an amateur - listening and playing on the keyboard, on speakers is all the same less tiring for the ears, ( ... when those of our loved ones at home support it - usually quite bad in the middle of the night ).

I must also admit that I did tests with my available speakers, except, the ones I kept in my living room, 2-way Ruarks precisely equipped with 8-inch speakers (and a Triangle sub filtered in - below 30hz (with double mono equalizer to "try"to suppress any emission above this frequency) and with a deliberately very discreet level, equipped with 2 speakers also 8 inches).
As my loved ones are insensitive to the acoustic qualities of this equipment, the post of Qexl convinces me to make new tests and measurements, alone and not alone, also with this equipment, including its amplifier A-S1000 Yamaha with sub output.
The objective here is to remains to obtain the most realistic and / or (failing this) pleasant to play sound - not tiring - sound at the position of the player on the keyboard - for piano & pipe organ -, in a space incompatible with the installation of a Fazioli F308 grand piano soundboard equipped with dedicated speakers , (objective is not - either - to make professional editing here in the studio to seek to build a sound optimized for broadcast to the radio or CD for an audience - no i dont gonna be a star even if i have a dream -)

It is perhaps possible on the other hand, (for what I am looking for) that dedicated active monitors, well chosen, (which I do not own) equipped with 8 inch speakers are more suitable than recycling a HiFi system?

Subsidiary question, one or more pairs of speaker systems? sub or not sub? shock absorbers or not in the corners of the room - and / or on the ceiling or on the walls, to limit the misdeeds of Mr Schroeder ( ... without making your better half scream )?

Bruno

Last edited by bm (13-02-2020 09:05)

Nice post Qexl! This is what I meant by sharing our various backgrounds...

Yes, headphones can be fatiguing. I know our friend Piet de Ridder said he never uses headphones for mixing (or any time I'm not sure) maybe to protect his hearing. I would be curious to know what speakers he uses in his studio.

I never tried any, but I guess small near-field monitors are the best of both worlds since you put them close to you and so minimize room interaction. I suppose large monitors have to be put further away and so are more affected.

My past experience with speakers have been with spare hifi monitors (a pair of Paradigm Mini-monitors and also an old pair of Dynaco A10 in a small room) and the result was disappointing. I must say also that the church ambiance that is so very well rendered in Organteq really needs headphones to be appreciated while Pianoteq can sound more realistic with speakers if one uses Player-type presets with very little reverb but proper volume.

I once played back a recording of an Organteq piece on my hifi setup in another (larger) room and while I was now getting all the powerful bass, most of the reverb was lost...I mean the reverb was there but I was in my living room listening to an organ recording not in the church playing the organ as with headphones. The living room reverb is all around me not the church's.

Last edited by Gilles (13-02-2020 14:55)

I did have Yamaha HS7 and the HS8 sub but didn't like these. The sub was probably more than ok but the HS7s were too harsh. I don't really like woofers in 'mid air' (when placed on stands), it seems the wrong place for low frequencies.

Tried some different (JVC) surround type speakers today, although they had better fidelity, tweeters were a problem. Crosstalk is something I have taken for granted lately having no problems with single drivers, seems like I've been 'burning bridges' audio wise, doesn't seem like any way back to a 'normal' setup. The Sony surround speakers (my preference) are far from perfect, some higher mids and most of the top octave is lacking in quality due to not having tweeters, but I can live with this until I find 'high end' small single driver speakers to replace these. The thing is, this system feels much more natural than my previous setups.

Last edited by MeDorian (13-02-2020 23:37)

Great news Bruno! and cheers Gilles and MeDorian.

Yes, you said it Gilles I so often enjoy dropping by the forum to read the thoughts of others trying to explain or solve things for others.

MeDorian wrote:

doesn't seem like any way back to a 'normal' setup

I get that - it's certainly one of the reasons I try to point out the separation is use cases above, where 'a' is for trying anything, even surround (great idea!) and where 'b' is getting to terms with "what do they do in a studio" - but that b case is mostly helpful if your goal is about recording and mixing for other people's enjoyment (or 'the market' broadly).

In the rinse, whatever works for us - case 'a' style is still entirely frontier territory really including surround as mentioned by MeDorian,

whereas case 'b' has way more standard hurdles to consider if someone is serious about making their own recordings with some view to album or release quality and so on (surmounting those is doable more so today than in the past - all budgets). Everyone also had room problems 50 years ago so, it's solvable or at least work-around-able

To room treatment ideas, I'd certainly defer to an expert in that field if you come to a halt, but many basics are researchable and a lot of basics should be fine (like angled foam behind speakers, blunting slap-back echos with baffles or furnishings, wall-hangings for some aesthetics). My current space is OK as it is - first time for that to happen for me, but my mixes have been sounding fine.. I'm not adding/changing anything or I fear I'll jinx that

Any room might have "something live" about it which can be worked with though.. it's also worth saying, it's not totally about sapping all acoustics out (towards an-echoic), but even if a bad room is being used (lots of singing wood panels or concrete ringing/booming going on) you can get used to a certain degree of those sorts of things to an extent.. maybe also don't overlook making your own EQ curve (a bit like making our own velocity curve for Pianoteq). Definitely never fret "my room isn't perfect" because, even the best monitoring environments may kind of never be either.. some rooms which seem pretty awful at first might still make for great end results (some old band practice rooms for example.. a few I wish I could bottle) and in probably legendary terms, some studios just allow sweet mixes because of whatever various intrinsic acoustic values exist therein, we'll never be privy to all the details but making it maybe more about 'uniqueness' of some kind which can be marketed, than some entirely physics based formula for a specification or standard of 'perfect' is an OK way to see our spaces.

Pristine just might have a higher price tag than we'd like - and apart from ridiculously expensive studios, everyone else is on a downward curve from those heights.

In my youth I was lucky to receive lectures from an acoustic engineer who oversaw the acoustics for many special places like Air studios (Studio 2 iirc - and others) but I tended out of that area - although interesting to me, I spent more time as an artist then. That interesting guy though did impart to me much of my appreciation for the confluence of science and art. It's to me a seminal template for the way us humans do practically anything well.. should be more of it.

Logically, there's no perfect shape or size for a studio and each offers a mix of static space, equipment and personnel, more than just some formulaic baseline of 'utterly neutral' control room or such unicorns. Someone like that acoustic engineer would be worth the expense for such a studio, based on his past experiences with similar work, his own life's worth of ideas, as much as just knowing ref. specs. and measures.. there is magic where many creatives meet.. and thinking about Air studios is still to me, one of those magic kinds of places.. (and moment in history where a group of creatives got together to move things beyond a somewhat bleaker past perhaps - a little like Univeral Artists in the film world.. artists coming together and proving "This is where real budgets are attracted and a greater history is made") here's a link to Air Studios' Studio 2 - check the equipment (incl. speakers.. you see a range of beautiful systems to constantly cross reference with.. we can only dream of installing all this ourselves at home).

In leiu of all that, HS8 is to me, a good home studio monitor system - and of course in future we might add a large array too etc.

bm wrote:

only a personal opinion - convinced that the headphones allow a more precise sound experience with the necessarily limited budget of a non professional

A fine perspective. Headphones are lynch pins (I probably do use them a bit more than 5% on reflection). I do enjoy them for pure enjoyment as much as for focussed referencing for detail. It's practical to keep your setup and think of headphones as your main comparative reference, esp. if new expenses are taken into account.

bm wrote:

It is perhaps possible on the other hand, (for what I am looking for) that dedicated active monitors, well chosen, (which I do not own) equipped with 8 inch speakers are more suitable than recycling a HiFi system?

Quite possibly you could think of each as different listening environments for the different tasks, since you have already enviable gear there (the Ruarks seem sweet).

Sub to 'b' as above.. there's monitoring during 'process' - and final listening too.. so, having both a nice reliable monitor setup along with a good 'end-user' type sweet consumer stereo would be most desirable in a studio setup.

On the other hand, it's also possible to just plug in Pianoteq and go with defaults and still end up with wonderful sound for most things - it really can be that our room and speaker setup can change our experience best (apart from improving our playing - always admire the talents of pianists who are more advanced than I could ever be).

Gilles wrote:

guess small near-field monitors are the best of both worlds since you put them close to you and so minimize room interaction

Pretty much sums it Gilles. If budget is at issue, and 1 pair is all to consider, and a lot of recording and mixing is on the cards, then I think many users could achieve their best results and enjoyment long term from those with least impact from prevailing factors like room boom. But I'm just making that thesis after seeing so many questions about this kind of thing on the forum over time, which caused me to think it through a little - maybe others will have their own better ideas, or just think "yeah, can't be done right without a big budget". I do think it possible for a PC, Pianoteq, a decent dpiano and HS8 monitors in a reasonable room = outstanding release quality.

Gilles wrote:

Dynaco A10

Yes, this is a great example of the kind of monitors you can find "sometimes" for sale second hand (or larger ones if space allows - something about 70s ear 15inch ones) for that final listening experience beyond monitoring/mixing with near-fields. You really could spend tens of thousands when looking at larger speakers.. I would love to trip over some old JBL monsters or something but these great old speakers are becoming harder to find being sold by people who're not so quick to sell them. So many good choices for large speakers and amps, it's much more like that scenario 'a' - sky is the limit in terms of choice and they're all going to give us a fine experience. A large speaker set doesn't need to be astronomically priced though to be valuable to us. Sometimes an old off-brand stereo selling cheap is worth a mystery buy - all that can become quite the hobby.

Gilles wrote:

The living room reverb is all around me not the church's

Yes, the interesting thing about these things also comes to choices - and for some contemporary music, that could be a fun production value to play with. But for reproducing the sense of being in a genuine cathedral on a real pipe organ, each room will seem to want different levels of effects. All this is half the fun of making music - and I tip my hat to everyone in care of the Organteq product - such fabulous work, appreciated even if organ music isn't my focus.

Thanking all for the conversation - hoping everyone can get some improvements from at least tossing around these notions, cheers.

Thanks Qexl! My aim is both a and b examples with just one setup, Pianoteq presets alone will give me the sound experience for both player perspective and hall playing. Just to clarify, my system is 2.1, the 'surround' type speakers are just small single driver ones, nothing special, they are my main monitors and are not used for effects. Although it would be possible for me to then use two more of these for either surround (effects) channels or just to reinforce the main two, with testing I quickly came to a conclusion that 2.1 is the best, most clear and least 'electronic' sounding. I also have no requirement now to explore any further, transducers been fitted to my keyboard, I think the subwoofer does a great job in creating an immersive sound. The setup and testing I feel is done here, more really for me to be able to offer some advice on this alternative system than conventional active monitors, should anyone require something different.