Topic: Feature requests

To begin, the results and possibilities Organteq offers are excellent, and the product is already providing options and control that don’t seem to exist in other organ software (alone being able to reverse coupler direction is something I desperately want on the American organs I play but is only really done in older German tracker organs that are physically coupled).  I also hope that the product continues to move towards allowing hobbyists and professionals to build and customize their own virtual organ stops, divisionals, and designs, which—like Pianoteq does for pianos—seems to be the direction this is headed, which is really cool and exciting!
A few small feature requests or improvements that I’ve noticed over the past few days of working with Organteq (I know some of these are already being discussed in other threads, and this list doesn’t begin to cover what’s amazing or already working beautifully in Organteq):

1.    Allow more than 10 stops to each manual/divisional
2.    Allow more thumb and toe pistons (most organs have 5-6 pistons per manual for that manual only)
3.    Allow more combination pistons total (especially for the sequential piston function, since 10 isn’t enough for longer concert works and most sequential systems that I’ve used are either 2-power limited—to 256 or 1024—or infinite)
4.    Add more swell/expression pedals (I love that you can have the full organ under expression, which is a failing of real-world organs, but there are times where different expression levels on different manuals/divisionals is very helpful and typical)
5.    Add a selector for programming multiple crescendos (on the large organs near my home, there are often selection pistons marked A, B, or C that choose between three different crescendos programmed into the console, which is extremely useful especially if the number of ranks/stops increases in Organteq in the future)
6.    Add at least one 32’ stop to the organ (a “Contra Bourdon” or extended Subprincipal would blend well—in my opinion—with the current stop list without overwhelming the current full organ tone and while offering greater registration flexibility and range)
7.    Add the ability to design custom stops (I’m guessing this is already coming in the future based on how the stop selector screen is designed and it would be fantastic to start building our own virtual organs like we already can with our virtual pianos in Pianoteq)
8.    Add the ability to switch the interface between the names and manual order used in American, English, French, Italian, and German organs (obviously this is a lot of UI work but it wouldn’t change as much about the engine because most differences between organ traditional are in the names and positioning of different console elements not in actual differences between how the modern organs actually work—usually)
9.    Remove or add the ability to turn off duplicate pipes—if they’re already in use (on most organs I use, a single stop from a different divisional can be added to another manual with the parenthetical that it’s from a different divisional—currently Organteq duplicates and overdubs pipes which wouldn’t really happen on a pipe organ organ and may be draining processor power on full organ with all couplers)
10.    Add unison decouplers and more transposition options and more couplers overall (most large organs have dozens of couplers)
11.    Add floating divisionals as the stop list increases (not needed now, but if the stop list passes 40-50 stops or if we can make our own stop designs, floating divisionals will be very helpful)
12.    Add some percussion stops like a Zimbelsterne, Carillon, or Tubular Bells/Chimes (we have this exact functionality for free in Pianoteq with the old historical instruments pack—I suspect we could integrate or duplicate this in Organteq since it seems to be the same basic engine, and many organs in America and Britain have a variety of percussion stops in both theatre and church/cathedral organs)
13.    Add the ability to choose and simulate tracker actions versus electric actions and electropneumatic actions (simulating old tracker actions will add different key-sounds, timing/delay, control, and even touch sensitivity—again, it's no small amount of work but something cool for the future)

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2xHiPcCsm29R12HX4eXd4J
Pianoteq Pro & Organteq 2
Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

Re: Feature requests

14. Tremulant

Tutti wrote:

14. Tremulant

^^ That too!  And by extension, other wind-chest simulation features.

Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

Why not, add to be able to play with the keyboard of the computer and to be able to choose the keyboard with the third row of the letters of the keyboard of the computer !

Change tracks when you want to play a MIDI file because, apparently, he can only play on the Grand Organ on all tracks and we can not configure it...

Last edited by OST999 (02-12-2019 16:14)

15. Add a copy of the "Condition" slider from Pianoteq to gently, randomly detune/age the instrument.

Casio GP300

16. A melody and bass coupler would be nice if I only had one manual available.

#17.
Possibility to remove the manuals (and the pedal board) to show only the important elements like stops and couplers. But on the other hand for better readability the stops with full name.
BTW: who needs to see the virtual keyboards while playing an organ?

Synthematophon 8' wrote:

#17.
Possibility to remove the manuals (and the pedal board) to show only the important elements like stops and couplers. But on the other hand for better readability the stops with full name.
BTW: who needs to see the virtual keyboards while playing an organ?

I agree; different views would be great. Especially for touch screen use, the stop knobs should be bigger.

Do as in PianoTeq, add the button "Virtual Keyboards" to display or hide keyboards !

OST999 wrote:

Do as in PianoTeq, add the button "Virtual Keyboards" to display or hide keyboards !

That's gonna be a bit trickier since they are not on the bottom of the interface, but right smack in the middle of it.

organi wrote:

This is already possible, couplers are fully adjustable.

Last edited by EvilDragon (03-12-2019 16:49)
Hard work and guts!

18. Add in the options, a checkbox to display or no longer display the message telling you that you are in trial version, that some keys are deactivated and that the instruments will become silent in 20 minutes in OrganTeq and PianoTeq...

OST999 wrote:

18. Add in the options, a checkbox to display or no longer display the message telling you that you are in trial version, that some keys are deactivated and that the instruments will become silent in 20 minutes in OrganTeq and PianoTeq...

Won't happen. Buy the software.

Hard work and guts!

Would it be possible to add a metronome for those who practice with headphones?

There are so many excellent suggestions in this thread. Can you give us some idea of which ones have been added to OrganTeq's development road map and some idea of targeted timelines?

For embedded applications, such as to add some digital stops to a pipe organ (using a Linux box), we would need a way of tuning OrganTeq to the pipes.  That's just a matter of supporting MIDI Master Fine Tuning (a Universal Real-time message).   We (CLASSIC Organ Works) have a simple MIDI processor pcb that can mix input from a Tuning pot, and a Temperature sensor, to generate Master Fine Tuning SysEx messages.

Also, it would be nice to have multi-channel output support - 16 or more output channels via USB3 to an external DAC would be nice.  Such as the Cymatic Audio LP16

A few 32' stops in the Pedal would be useful.

I think running on Linux (for reliability), and driving it via MIDI note on/off and stop control messages, would make a super cost-effective way to add 1-25 digital stops to a pipe organ!

I have to say, it would be nice if the slots, or drawknobs, could be arranged according to AGO standards. They can be found at http://westminsterorganworks.com/pdf/agoconsole.pdf.

Last edited by MollerOpus (19-12-2019 22:48)

Updated link: http://westminsterorganworks.com/pdf/agoconsole.pdf

And yes, that would be very nice, particularly if we could further "localize" the console layout and text based on German Baroque, American Symphonic or Theatre, and English Symphonic organ consoles in addition to the terraced French layout we currently have.

Casio GP300

EvilDragon wrote:
organi wrote:

This is already possible, couplers are fully adjustable.

EvilDragon can you explain where?
In demo version you can only couple all Pedal notes to the manual. But is should be only the bottom note.

Melody is optional but Bass coupler is a must.
Since at least in my case I would use Organteq when I need to play on remote locations. I really don't want to carry pedalboard with me.

In any case Coupling all notes from pedal to any of manuals is unusable.

Hi, I'm a long-time Hauptwerk user, but decided to try Organteq instead, having not found many sample sets that work well in my home practice environment. I have to say that I'm very impressed so far...

I use a Launchpad Mini to control features of Hauptwerk - which is able to toggle the lights on the touchpad on and off in response to button presses (this is done by sending MIDI messages to the Launchpad).

Launchpads work well with Organteq but - of course - the lights don't toggle. Might extend the reach of Organteq a bit if you could make it work with such hardware.

I am building an TouchOSC design for the organ, but this sits on a device (eg a tablet) that by design does not tend to stay lit for long periods, or it you force it to do so, will go flat unless plugged into a power-supply or computer and is also somewhat less robust than a launchpad or similar MIDI controller. You also need to install bridging software to get the MIDI messages through to Organteq, so not quite so convenient to use either.

Just a thought, anyway!

Hello
Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that the correct spelling for "Nasard" is "Nazard"

jbuvat wrote:

Hello
Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that the correct spelling for "Nasard" is "Nazard"

Both are probably correct. See http://www.organstops.org/n/Nasard.html

Bass coupler! But only the lowest note would be send to pedal!

This feature is provided by in Hauptwerk and Grand Orgue and not having it it's deal breaker for me.

Gilles wrote:

Both are probably correct. See http://www.organstops.org/n/Nasard.html

Yes, I see Nasard more commonly while around German and some French organs (and I support the German "Nase" etymology theory because it's how I feel about the pipe sound in bad registrations), while I've only ever seen it spelled Nazard in the States.  They should be interchangeable in essential function and sound, but they might not be exactly identical between one organ design/tradition or another.

I know on the 1903 Église Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption de Metz Cavaille-Coll, it's spelled Nazard and on the 1902 Église Saint-Eucaire Cavaille-Coll (also in Metz), it's spelled Nasard.  So either that means Charles Mutin (who oversaw organ building at Cavaille-Coll after 1900) wanted the 1903 organ to show that it was being renovated and still used Baroque pipes or design on the stop (and showed that with a different spelling as the 1902 organ was completely new), the new pipes were designed or tuned slightly differently than were used on the 1902 organ (which is very possible with fifths depending on how you want them to balance), or he couldn't keep his own spelling consistent on two organs in the same city built with a two year period.

Casio GP300

dewal wrote:

Bass coupler! But only the lowest note would be send to pedal!

This feature is provided by in Hauptwerk and Grand Orgue and not having it it's deal breaker for me.

I would think that wouldn't be too hard to program.  Hopefully it will be added soon!

Casio GP300

A small but special feature request: A stop named ”Noli me tangere” (do not touch me).

In 1966 I played an organ with the stop Noli me tangere, build by Hans Heinrich (came to Finland and started organ factory, have built about 183 pipe organs). I couldn’t help but try the stop - and out came an awful sound, I jumped a bit :-) I think it was 4 or 5  stops combined as a dissonance sound cacophony, inharmonious sound. I pushed it back immediately. I think it is in the group disappearing stops now days, have not seen it since then. But therefore would be a nice joke in Organteq, a curiosity - not what people expect…..:-)

Some questions have already been posted: the advantage of a Bourdon 32’ in the pedal as already advised by J.S. Back, and important for symphonic work by Franck e.g. Choral II, (related to feature request 6 by tmyoung 2-12-2019). Key velocity and 4 rather than 3 keyboards.

Other items might include

-    Asio is still advised for the audiodriver, but doesn’t WSAPI in Windows10 take its place? I have to admit that I did not yet see many manufacturers of audio interfaces providing other than Asio drivers.
-    The processor has to work hard, with a maximum of 1000 pipes sounding for a quad core. Isn’t it an option to use the multiprocessor features (256 cores or even more) of modern graphics cards? That might even allow per pipe voicing, given the speed of modern data busses.

Analog Heyligers E1 organ, 13 stops, 2 manuals + pedal
December 2018 extension: third manual and midi
Software Organteq, GrandOrgue, Sweelinq

Until we are allowed to create our own ranks, I would like to see some wooden pipes included.

Are there plans to add the same tuning support as in Pianoteq? I was really surprised to download the demo and find this element missing.

helveticat wrote:

Are there plans to add the same tuning support as in Pianoteq? I was really surprised to download the demo and find this element missing.

My understanding is yes and it's one of the next major features they're working to add.  According to previous posts from the devs, there were some implementational issues and overhead issues with voicing and micro-tuning that prevented those features being available at launch.

As a side note, I've wondered about a solution that temporarily "bakes" some pipes/ranks into RAM as samples to reduce processor overhead with larger registrations.

Alex_vD wrote:

Isn’t it an option to use the multiprocessor features (256 cores or even more) of modern graphics cards? That might even allow per pipe voicing, given the speed of modern data buses.

I'm not sure that GPU acceleration will be coming soon to either PTQ or OTQ because of cross-OS and cross-brand issues (CPU instructions are fairly universal whereas GPU instructions aren't nearly as standardized, and I don't know if the float precision of consumer-grade GPUs could create audio artefacts that a CPU wouldn't), but I'd love to see GPU support!

Casio GP300

tmyoung wrote:

My understanding is yes and it's one of the next major features they're working to add.  According to previous posts from the devs, there were some implementational issues and overhead issues with voicing and micro-tuning that prevented those features being available at launch.

That would be very exciting -- if/when that happens OTQ will go straight to the top of my wish-list...

helveticat wrote:
tmyoung wrote:

That would be very exciting -- if/when that happens OTQ will go straight to the top of my wish-list...

+1 on the tuning. Pianoteq's tuning system is pretty epic (and actually follows the SCALA standard correctly!!!).

Other requests:
- hammond b3! Jeez so much easier to model this circuit than freakin chiff chaos.....
- the ability to automate the tuning of each pipe (to ANY frequency, not +- 50c...)
- automation in general.