Topic: Recommended Keyboard Hardware?

Can anyone here recommend a specific hardware Setting (not tooo expensive) for best results with Organteq?

I would like to practice organ on the keyboard and need a relatively professional level of attack sensitivity, as I also want to play clearly articulated baroque music. I would be very grateful if someone could give me the specifications for an organ keyboard that will get the most out of the software.

Looking forward to test Organteq in deep.

Laurin

Re: Recommended Keyboard Hardware?

Laurin wrote:

Can anyone here recommend a specific hardware Setting (not tooo expensive) for best results with Organteq?

I would like to practice organ on the keyboard and need a relatively professional level of attack sensitivity,

Welcome everyone!
I also would like to ask about not too expensive hardware solution for Organteq. I think about 2 master keyboards with 49 keys and foot keyboard. I don't know that's a good idea, because I am completely beginner in organ technique and technology.
I will be grateful for any piece of advice.

Last edited by RichieBill (28-11-2019 22:26)
Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Production Voices | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i

One of the options that has been popular with virtual organ users has been to add MIDI to an existing organ console.  Older Allen or Rodgers consoles are available from free to a few hundred dollars in the US.  Consoles that are new enough to include MIDI are frequently priced a bit higher.  A three manual console with AGO pedals and moving or lighted tabs or drawknobs makes a fantastic practice console and can be extremely affordable.  I believe names like Johannus and Content will be more commonly available in Europe.

May I suggest users acquire one or more keyboards designed to provide the touch and feel of a pipe organ console.  May I recommend MIDI keyboards offered by CLASSIC MIDIWorks - see www.midiworks.ca

I am using the demo of organteq on a i7 10th Generstion (comet lake 4.9 Ghz)with 32GB RAM and 1 TB Optain SDD with Native Instruments Complete Audio 6 MK2.

Even with only 32 polyphonie and high latency it is unplayable (processor overload).

I cant recommend any hardware (maybe a quantum super computer) but to use the demo version to evaluate first.

Galuwen

RichieBill wrote:
Laurin wrote:

I would like to practice organ on the keyboard and need a relatively professional level of attack sensitivity,

Welcome everyone!
I also would like to ask about not too expensive hardware solution for Organteq. I think about 2 master keyboards with 49 keys and foot keyboard. I don't know that's a good idea, because I am completely beginner in organ technique and technology.
I will be grateful for any piece of advice.

galuwen wrote:

I am using the demo of organteq on a i7 10th Generstion (comet lake 4.9 Ghz)with 32GB RAM and 1 TB Optain SDD with Native Instruments Complete Audio 6 MK2.
Even with only 32 polyphonie and high latency it is unplayable (processor overload).

That seems a bit extreme. I'm using Organteq on a Linux computer with lower specifications: an i7 6-core CPU running at 3.2 GHz (with "Multicore rendering" enabled in Organteq Options) with 16GB RAM, using 48000 sample rate, 128 samples buffer, 512 voice polyphony. I have disabled both CPU frequency-scaling (Intel Speedstep) and hyperthreading in the BIOS. The only way I have been able to cause a CPU overload is to use the tutti button (engaging all stops) with all three manuals coupled while playing 5-note chords with both hands.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (02-12-2019 12:47)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

I found a pedalboard harvested from some organ on Craigslist for $80. It's not AGO standard since it only has 27 notes, but good enough for a beginner like myself. I soldered and connected the wires to digital I/O pins on a $60 Arduino Mega and programmed it to behave like a USB MIDI device, sending NoteOn and NoteOff events with each pedal press. Works like a charm! This kind of setup can cost hundreds, so if you're technically savvy, I'd encourage you to look at your local classifieds for something like this.

Last edited by JesterMusician (02-12-2019 12:10)