Topic: Yamaha AvantGrand N1

Hi.

I just got my recently purchased Yamaha N1(not with an X) and I wonder if anyone have a good velocity curve for that instrument. I guess it would be the same as for N2 or N3 if anyone have one of those instruments.

Best regards

Johan

Last edited by johanibraaten (30-10-2019 14:35)

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1

Hi Johan,

Not sure if this is going to be any help to you because I've got an N1X, not N1, and don't know if the actions are comparable.

But what I've found is that the N1X doesn't reliably produce MIDI velocity values below and above 25 and 100 respectively. So, for me, a good first approximation to a suitable velocity curve is simply:

Velocity = [25, 100; 0, 127]

In fact, I will probably never get any further than this because I'm not convinced there's any point. If I change the velocity curve my playing immediately starts to adapt to it. I doubt this is avoidable. Within limits it's probably possible (and unavoidable) to adapt to any curve. So you have to ask yourself whether fiddling about with them is worth it.

Actually I think that something along these lines goes for all the other tweaks we might make to the response and sound of the instrument, not only within PT but also in the rest of the signal chain. It's worth it up to a point and then no further. Beyond that you just have to learn how to play it.

Ian.

N1X - PT Pro - Linux

IanL wrote:

Hi Johan,

Not sure if this is going to be any help to you because I've got an N1X, not N1, and don't know if the actions are comparable.

But what I've found is that the N1X doesn't reliably produce MIDI velocity values below and above 25 and 100 respectively. So, for me, a good first approximation to a suitable velocity curve is simply:

Velocity = [25, 100; 0, 127]

In fact, I will probably never get any further than this because I'm not convinced there's any point. If I change the velocity curve my playing immediately starts to adapt to it. I doubt this is avoidable. Within limits it's probably possible (and unavoidable) to adapt to any curve. So you have to ask yourself whether fiddling about with them is worth it.

Actually I think that something along these lines goes for all the other tweaks we might make to the response and sound of the instrument, not only within PT but also in the rest of the signal chain. It's worth it up to a point and then no further. Beyond that you just have to learn how to play it.

Ian.

Hi Ian.

Thank you for your response, I will try your suggested curve for sure. I believe the N1 and N1X shares the same action and sensor systen so I wouldn't be surprised if the MIDI response is comparable. I too think it's quite a challenge to achieve full velocity response (1-127) on the Avantgrands but I'm able to reach around 115 in the treble region, and possible higher but I don't want to stress the action too hard. I agree with you about adapting to different settings but I still find it interesting to try to get as close as possible to the response of the acoustic original.

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy your N1X, it's a stunning instrument.

//Johan

IanL wrote:

....But what I've found is that the N1X doesn't reliably produce MIDI velocity values below and above 25 and 100 respectively.
Ian.

Hello, I have checked this with my N1X and MidiOx under Windows 10. I could measure velocities from 1 to 125 with my N1X.

Regards,
Stefan

Here's a curve that I think works pretty good on the N1. It's a very simple curve with only three points so it's easy to edit and adopt. I use mainly the Steinway B and the Pertof. It would be interesting if someone with an AvantGrand tried it out and tell me what you think.

Velocity = [5, 25, 110; 0, 30, 127]

//Johan

stuenn wrote:
IanL wrote:

....But what I've found is that the N1X doesn't reliably produce MIDI velocity values below and above 25 and 100 respectively.
Ian.

Hello, I have checked this with my N1X and MidiOx under Windows 10. I could measure velocities from 1 to 125 with my N1X.

Regards,
Stefan

Hi Stefan,

It hinges on the word 'reliably'. What I mean is that during normal playing the range 25-100 does it for me. Sure, with care, and outside of actually playing something, I can produce velocity values outside of that range. But so what? I.

Last edited by IanL (19-02-2021 21:40)
N1X - PT Pro - Linux