Topic: Problem with sustain pedal

Hello Pianoteq users! I often create piano parts using Pianoteq 6 (I currently use version 6.3.0) and every now and then I run into a problem with sustain pedal: sometimes the notes continue to sound after the pedal was released and pressed again. Of course it sounds horrible in most cases, and if the part I'm working on includes a lot of sustain pedaling, I am forced to use some other piano sound from a different developer.

Is it a bug or maybe I'm missing something and this is intended behaviour?

Please see the picture I've just made to illustrate this: https://yadi.sk/i/IsLvyjrr4pShlQ

(couldn't figure out how to insert images directly into a post)

Thanks, Alexander

Last edited by sayanchik (03-04-2019 10:31)

Re: Problem with sustain pedal

sayanchik wrote:

Hello Pianoteq users! I often create piano parts using Pianoteq 6 (I currently use version 6.3.0) and every now and then I run into a problem with sustain pedal: sometimes the notes continue to sound after the pedal was released and pressed again. Of course it sounds horrible in most cases, and if the part I'm working on includes a lot of sustain pedaling, I am forced to use some other piano sound from a different developer.

Please see the picture I've just made to illustrate this: https://yadi.sk/i/IsLvyjrr4pShlQ

Hi Alexander,

I can't properly tell from the image you supplied, but are these notes in the upper register of the instrument?  If so, several pianos (as with their real-world analogs) do not have dampers in the upper octave(s) and so those notes will indeed continue to sound regardless of the damper pedal's being actuated or not (as they would on an actual physical piano)... which Pianoteq instrument are you using?

cheers,
dj

Matthieu 7:6

_DJ_ wrote:

I can't properly tell from the image you supplied, but are these notes in the upper register of the instrument?  If so, several pianos (as with their real-world analogs) do not have dampers in the upper octave(s) and so those notes will indeed continue to sound regardless of the damper pedal's being actuated or not (as they would on an actual physical piano)... which Pianoteq instrument are you using?

Oh I'm sorry I haven't included the info about the octave played. I'm aware of what you're talking about, but I encounter this problem in middle octaves. In this case the B note was just next to the middle C.

Pianoteq instrument I tried to use today was Grand Steinway D.

Hi sayanchik,

I haven't encountered the pedal continuing unduly with MIDI data but just imagining how that MIDI would sound, my impression is that is probably quite true to life for a real piano (not so much that you continue to hear whole note, but continue to hear resonance decay and/or reverb tail etc). Even ruling out the high notes above where the damper controls end, mid and esp. bass too can ring 16th or 8th of a bar. You may know pianos real and software alike better than me but I can only try helping without certainly knowing what you already know.. so sorry, in advance, if much is redundant to you.

That's maybe not an incorrect behaviour, just looking at it, but can be fixed I'd think - If playing a real piano, I'd definitely try releasing the pedal earlier. Depending on what you're doing, other things might help include EQ to remove problematic or ringing frequencies, or even just less reverb or brighter reverb tone - among other things. But simply releasing the pedal another 8th bar earlier, leaving it up longer, ensuring more silence might be something to try first. (old MIDI pianos were often a lot more clearly on/off than real pianos).

If you want a more prounounced silence between the notes, consider NOT using sustain pedal data for that lead-up note.

Just drawing the MIDI note to the required length instead (and not adding sust. pedal) will also mean less sympathetic resonance is introduced so any gap in pedal should then also allow more silence faster. (play a chord and hold, compare to same but with sustain pedal down = more resonances and overshot on pedal release).

Tiny pedal release windows can amount to something more like half-pedalling esp. since we're looking at about an 8th note or so.

Not certain but also, pedal behaviour is graduated in Pianoteq, so such a short UP period may not always trigger 100% UP condition. (I haven't had this issue but I don't usually program such small gaps).

If you click the scroll arrow to the right in the velocity curve window, until you see the sustain pedal data window, you can watch as it 'fires' while you play and depress and release the sustain pedal.. just take note of how the data can seem 'humanized' to an extent - unless you're moving the pedal very slowly up and down, it doesn't perfectly follow completely straight and evenly spaced gradations. If you pedal up and down very quickly, you might see how the pedal action can seem to show 0 and 127 (but the 127 zone may also contain a shadow point at 99% - since the green line does seem wider than the one at 0 - THAT might be your issue - but, it's still solvable with the things mentioned). It's not that it's innacurate per se - but I do think there's some programmatic constructs going on which are aimed toward realism, rather than the more robotic MIDI of old. A real player may indeed hit the pedal hard and release quicky but is it perfect? To try to get that kind of hard cut-off I'd try a few other things...

You can edit the shape of the pedal's curve or behaviour in that window, so making it more On/Off could help. Change the 45 degree gradient to something definitely more ON/OFF, no slope, a shelf at 0 and a shelf at 127.

Worth noting, that in Pianoteq you can select higher resolution MIDI ("Full Featured" instead of "Minimalistic") in the settings' MIDI tab - which should see more accuracy and realism overall, compared to standard MIDI. Worth trying out (playback of high resolution MIDI can be superb).

In the olden days going back to 80s and 90s MIDI pianos, the pedal behaviour was often really completely ON or OFF and nothing in-between but Pianoteq is much closer to realism, and I've definitely struggled to understand some differences at times but things like this make more sense with time. It has helped a lot to play real pianos in recent decades to get more of a feel for what's real, verses what's older generations of more robotic MIDI software

Hope that makes sense and is a help.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Qexl wrote:

Worth noting, that in Pianoteq you can select higher resolution MIDI ("Full Featured" instead of "Minimalistic") in the settings' MIDI tab - which should see more accuracy and realism overall, compared to standard MIDI. Worth trying out (playback of high resolution MIDI can be superb).

errr...
isn't "full-featured" just an extensive set of bindings, whereas high-resolution midi is a function of the "dialect" control (ie standard midi, DisklavierXP, or Hi-res CC#88) and so requires a hi-res compatible keyboard...? 

as for the problem Alexander describes, while I haven't encountered this sort of behavior (which seems to be more an issue of damper settings/control than just prolonged resonance?), I have had the occasional "ringing" note problem on several instruments (though always with the damper for the given note raised), for which my solution has always been to lower impedance and play with the upper harmonics values until the offensive tone is brought into line with its surrounding notes... probably not of much use though if there's some issue with damper control... is the offending tone getting a note-off midi signal?  also, as Qexl suggests, definitely check the scaling of your pedal to make sure there's no issue there.

Matthieu 7:6

Qexl wrote:

If playing a real piano, I'd definitely try releasing the pedal earlier. Depending on what you're doing, other things might help include EQ to remove problematic or ringing frequencies, or even just less reverb or brighter reverb tone - among other things. But simply releasing the pedal another 8th bar earlier, leaving it up longer, ensuring more silence might be something to try first. (old MIDI pianos were often a lot more clearly on/off than real pianos).

When I play a real piano, I usually release the pedal right at the moment I play the next chord. I suppose it's one of the primary uses of the pedal – to connect sounds seamlessly not having to keep the keys pressed. But yes, holding keys longer and pressing the pedal later makes sense.

As for my example, the tempo there was 70, so the gap seemed to me long enough to cease the previous chord... Anyway, I play different real pianos from time to time and such Pianoteq behaviour doesn't seem natural to me. I currently have no opportunity to record my playing with pedal into Cubase though to see what I really do. (My little son destroyed my Yamaha P-90 sustain pedal.)

I did some experimenting just in case, increasing the gap between the two zones of pressed pedal. Below are results, audio files with pics of what is being played in Cubase. Check them out. I wish there were an option to turn this after-sounding off. Well, maybe there IS such an option in more advanced versions of Pianoteq – I have Stage version.

https://yadi.sk/d/Y3NwImMiJnbXPA
https://yadi.sk/i/4HbH0KkTGSFQQQ

https://yadi.sk/d/zfzAeLGQDA1v1Q
https://yadi.sk/i/swvVLNNayLJmXA

https://yadi.sk/d/nTYzz91xP-aA8g
https://yadi.sk/i/4EqviHkHgjThaQ

Have you, sayanchik, a reason to prefer Pianoteq v6.3.0 to the latest version v6.4.1?  Oftentimes, users do get a bug or two and sometimes have to contact support.  Bugs happen as shown in the Change history accessed from the Pianoteq User area.  If you’ve access to the very latest version, I suggest you download and install it onto your computer, firstly.

When you've the latest version installed, you then may want to perform your piece in the Pianoteq standalone application.  If you do, you’ll have the piece recorded either by you or the Pianoteq software automatically, for you to listen to it and tell whether or not any audible problems arise.

If no problems are audible, from the standalone application you may save the piece you perform; save it as a MIDI file and load it into your DAW for you to visually inspect it.

Be sure before you perform your piece, have “Minimalistic” selected as your Global MIDI Mapping and preferably as your default under the MIDI icon in the Pianoteq Options pane that appears in both the Pianoteq standalone and VST.

Sometimes a DAW introduces erroneous or simply extraneous MIDI messages that you allow unwittingly.  Whenever your Global MIDI Mapping selection is the default “Minimalistic,” that narrows the likelihood of problematic (MIDI) messages occurring possibly in and out of your DAW.  Potentially they affect your performance  —adversely!

That “Minimalistic” setting appears to weed out a lot of potential problems for me and perhaps newbies as well.

I am directing your attention to a thread where a problem similar to yours was encountered: https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=6037.

Certainly, let people know via this forum or Pianoteq Support, if yours persists!

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (04-04-2019 22:24)
Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

Amen Ptah Ra wrote:

Have you, sayanchik, a reason to prefer Pianoteq v6.3.0 to the latest version v6.4.1?

No, not at all. I just had to compose a piano part today and loaded Pianoteq. Didn't want to spend time updating anything. I'll update it right away.

Conversely, you could export your MIDI performance from your DAW and load it onto Pianoteq standalone to tell if your problem is just DAW related  —as you listen to it played.

However, if a new pedal is altogether an absolute necessity, one sells for $12.65 at eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sustain-Pedals...SwqrVcfd55.

Specifically, _DJ_, if you’re reading any of this post, I’ve no affiliation whatsoever with any of the eBay sellers, just as I’m a member unaffiliated with Plugin-Alliance, in contrast to your recent off topic post: https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopi...86#p959686.

Personally, I view myself a very enthusiastic member (possibly overzealous) but always glad to help!

With that said, hopefully you, sayanchik, will try some of my suggestions and find those helpful:

1. See if you can calibrate the Sustain pedal map in your copy of Pianoteq Stage.

2. Use a different preset.  And, see if you’ve the problem still.

3. Download and install the demo of Pianoteq Standard.  And, experiment with its Damper duration and Last damper parameters.

Incidentally, if you do use an .fxp from FXP Corner, it could fail to translate completely into Pianoteq Stage.

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (04-04-2019 23:19)
Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

I have a similar problem when I input music into Musescore, export the Midi file and play it in Pianoteq. This is a piece of music where a chord is sustained from the beginning till the end of the measure, then the next measure starts with a different chord that is also sustained. The chord from the previous measure keeps playing even though there is a midi off event. This happens in both PT stand-alone and in a DAW. This doesn’t happen when I load the file into Midiculous and play it or if I play it in Musescore using the default Windows player. Somehow PT is not handling the super-quick pedal up pedal down of the sustain pedal.

sayanchik wrote:

(couldn't figure out how to insert images directly into a post)

Thanks, Alexander

Kawai ES110, Pianoteq 7 Standard, Electric pianos, Steinway B and D, Bechstein, Bluethner, K2, U-Phoria UMC204HD, Sony MDR-7506

Just to make things clear – I just use one factory preset in Pianoteq (which is loaded by default when the plugin starts) and have never tweaked anything in the settings etc. I don't even think I've ever opened them. So the described sustain pedal behavior comes "out of the box". Also have never run Pianoteq standalone application.

sayanchik,

thanks for the files - they demo well. A lot of thing people think are wrong, can be found to be just simple expansion of understanding, and gladly this indeed seems the case here, after listening and seeing the screenshots.

The audio + image = RE-PEDAL which is like a real grand piano. Maybe a lot of smaller or upright pianos don't do this IRL, but concert grand pianos more likely almost all will - it's normal and expected. (Maybe others will know a good list of those pianos which do and don't - but I feel I expect this or it's not a modern grand to me, too abrupt - I began a love for pianos from appreciating older ones from earlier eras - but I'm also now in love with the grand action).

That is exactly why I suggest a bigger gap - find the size of gap you will require to acquire silence (instead of this iliciting this normal re-pedal outcome). A larger gap may be all you need - and it may be less than an 8th note (will be modeled depending on the exact piano - each will have real-world equivalences).

You can hit a note with sust-pedal down, release pedal, then quickly re-pedal - to capture/hold "SOME" of the energy of the notes.

That is intended, because it's what a good GRAND piano will do

The sad, sad news (and ye gods of music weep) though, is that you can alter it with Standard or Pro.

Stage doesn't have the necessary controls included. If you musically would rather work with a non-grand piano action/mechanism, by all means upgrade for the ability - I highly recommend it, and have purchased "Studio" for the complete collection and it's the only software piano I can recommend or use myself. All else is fine but not in the same universe.

A full depress and release doesn't = total silence in the gap (except in fake olden-days MIDI terms - or specifically edited preset).

In other words, if you quickly re-pedal, the escape/mechanism is designed to capture and keep that 'energy'..

In a "dumb" (by comparison) old fashioned MIDI instrument, you may have been able to program "complete" silence for minute moments - but that's not "real" - it was a former era of relatively naive (but improving) tech.

SO - HOW to solve in Pianoteq? Answer:

In the main interface, click "Action" and alter the "Damper duration" down to impossibly noiseless

Standard or Pro only for this level of control.

(You can do more than 'real' things with it - but when you buy Pianoteq, you're buying a thing which is more real - but you can push it to be synthetic, or incredibly wide of 'piano' baseline in extremely interesting ways).

So much of this thing is using your imagination based on experience, being patient and trying things out.. you will 'get it' at some point, trust me (even though I misunderstood ala DJ's point above, about setting high res midi.. I did forgetfully think that triggers output of an auto-high-res MIDI file.. maybe it will at some point? Anyhoo..

I think I'm generally on the right set of rails about your pedal issue sayanchik, and do please try realising, it's not about 'tricking you' - but it's about understanding the modeling includes 'real' half-pedal type behaviours.. you can alter that to be like olden-days MIDI fake - but I'm seriously keen to promote MIDI programmers to progress, understanding real instruments can't hurt but only improve your programming - and hopefully our future generations can benefit from this, earnestly, in all seriousness.)

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors