Topic: Interrupted audio when moving mic/head

A feature request/bug filing (depending how you look at it) - my apologies if this has been brought up already...

When changing head/mic placement (either graphically or via MIDI), the audio output is interrupted. This makes the MIDI automation of particularly limited use.  I'd love it if this could be addressed (particularly if the transitions were smooth). My intention is to implement a head tracking system and have the (headphone) output adjusted accordingly.

Using PT3.0.0 on OSX.

Thanks,
David

Re: Interrupted audio when moving mic/head

Hi David,

We too would have liked smooth transitions when moving the mics ! But it is almost impossible to do with our current modelling,  unfortunately.

The head-tracking stuff is a very nice idea, though !

The idea for head tracking for headphones it's interesting...   Specially if you play like Ray Charles used to do....   moving the head to all sides...

Sort of like what you might get by creating a custom "surround" speaker array around yourself and placing each mic output into a separate speaker ?

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

I've tried to implement head tracking in 6.5.3 (see https://gitlab.com/hberntsen/pianoteq-head-tracking ) but still get audio interruption

A very good idea! Maybe this can be implemented through 7th order IEM Ambisonic plugins, for example, these plugins are used:

https://plugins.iem.at/

https://git.iem.at/audioplugins/IEMPluginSuite

Using the input of Pianoteq I think that it is possible to rotate the panorama or space in the IEM plugin using your plug-in.
There should be no interruptions. A couple of things - 1- this can be expensive for the processor. 2- It is possible to simulate in DAW, which allows multiple channels(64) on one track. For example, Reaper64. Interestingly, one of the IEM space modelling plug-ins includes the Doppler effect.

Last edited by scherbakov.al (14-08-2019 11:19)

If you have Waves NX Virtual Mix Room it's possible to do head tracking, using the computer's webcam or a special add-on device from Waves. I do have NX, but I've never tried the head tracking because the computer I use it on doesn't have a webcam!

Not sure why you would want head tracking.

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

Kramster1 wrote:

Not sure why you would want head tracking.

Well yes, I must admit that the idea doesn't appeal to me, but it seems that some people like it!

@scherbakov.al Good idea, some external software might indeed be able to post-process Pianoteq's sound. I wonder what the difference will be with Pianoteq's binaural audio since Pianoteq has much more information in it's audio synthesizing algorithm. I guess my Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz laptop will not be able to handle the additional processing load .

@Kramster1: I'm always using my headphones while playing. I simply tried this because I wanted to hear what difference head tracking would make. It would be awesome to feel like the sound is coming from the piano in front of me.