Topic: Thinking of purchasing - should I buy?

Hello folks,

I've tried out the demo, and I like it a lot.  But should I buy?  I'm posting to ask the advice of people who have this software whether it makes sense for me to make the jump.

I actually own several sample-based piano models.  I have the complete Synthogy Ivory set which I won in a competition (grand pianos, uprights and Italian grand addon), and I have the EWQL grand pianos set which I bought in a sale.  Of the two, I have to say that the EWQL is probably the best sounding and has the best engine, though I do prefer the Ivory Yamaha to the EWQL version.  The Ivory uprights, if you haven't tried them yet, are unique and very, very good.

This leaves me in an awkward spot.  I have some great piano models, so should I go for the Pianoteq product as well?

Pianoteq's models, while good, only consist of two pianos.  Furthermore, the pianos are very similiar sounding, with only minor differences in tone.  By comparison, the 'EWQL Pianos' (which are the best sampled pianos on the market in my opinion) has a vast range of different sounding pianos, each one suited to a different style.  The Pianoteq piano's from the latest demo basically sound like the Bosendorfer on the EWQL suite - very warm and plummy with little brightness or distinctive tone, the opposite to the Yamaha Grand.  This is no bad thing in itself - the Bosendorfer is a wonderful piano - but it does lead on to my next concern: the price.

The price of Pianoteq is the elephant in the room as far as I am concerned.  I'm not wealthy by any means, and at 250Euros, its phenomonally expensive compared to its competitors at the current exchange rate.  I live in the UK, and that amounts to £220.  That is painful.  I mean, that's not just pricey, that's eye-watering.  As there are only two piano models included, that works out to about £110 per model.  I might say that's a fair price if the models were vastly different, but they seem very, very similar to me.  In short, Pianoteq is eye-wateringly expensive.  By comparison, I could have nine pianos from the Ivory collection (from all of their packs) for £200 more.  Ivory works out at about £45 per model, Pianoteq £110.  And the Ivory models are distinctive and unique, the Pianoteq ones are very, very similar to each other.  Ouch!

To counter this, Modartt put out a selection of freebies.  Their piano modelling is always added to, using historically significant models of things such as harpsichords and pianofortes.  In effect, Modartt are trying to put together a museum collection of historical instruments.  No doubt this is a very honourable undertaking, but why do it on my dime?  I don't want a harpsichord.  I don't want a pianoforte.  I certainly don't want half-a-dozen of the things, and I sure don't want to subsidise someone to model them.  Almost all of the freebies, with the exception of the CP-80, are utterly, utterly unusable for someone writing modern music.  What on Earth am I going to do with a harpsichord?

If Modarrt were giving away excellent examples of useful pianos (Bluthner, etc.) I would consider it a plus.  Instead, I consider it a minus - these guys are using money from their expensive product to develop models of 'curate's eggs' for their own personal hobby.

Given there are so many down-sides to buying Pianoteq, here are some of the upsides: I love the electric piano models.  They are tremendous, yet they cost extra to buy.  And the playability of the piano and electric models are second to none.

So it comes down to the price.  At £220 this is just not competitive, and it galls to see the profits being invested on (to my mind) worthless models of pianofortes and harpsichords.  Someone at Modartt should wake up and realise that Pianoteq is a commercial venture and start treating it as such.

So persuade me, guys.  Is this worth buying?  Is it good value?  At a reduced price this would be far and away a done deal, but with the extremely uncompetitive pricing it takes a lot to justify the purchase.

Is it worth it?

Re: Thinking of purchasing - should I buy?

Is it worth 6000$ to buy a V-Piano? No, not in hell.

Is it worth paying 250$ for Pianoteq 3 (+50$ expansions) and get free upgrades later, or very reduced price for next version? YES.

Is it worth learning what each parameter does to get vastly different sounding piano sounds (seems like you want this)? YES.

Is it worth supporting Modartt to produce even better models in the future? YES.

Is it worth trying to fit harpsichord and historic instruments in modern music? Yes, it can sound interesting See Tori Amos.

Think about it. Pianoteq feels the best and plays the best, you're the most connected with the sound because there are no static samples involved. It behaves like a real piano while sample libraries do not. Plus, it doesn't load for eternity.

Last edited by EvilDragon (20-04-2009 13:06)
Hard work and guts!

Daniel Polwarth wrote:

(...) Almost all of the freebies, with the exception of the CP-80, are utterly, utterly unusable for someone writing modern music.

Not true. The Erard and the Bechstein are great and if adjusted properly they have a modern sound. But I admit it's a matter of taste.
If you don't really feel pianoteq is for you, well, you don't have to.
I lurked around the thing for a while wondering if I should buy it until there was a special offer last summer. But since I bought it, I used it a lot, it really feels like a real piano, and meanwhile I think it's worth even more than the full price.
Well, since you wrote a long discourse about whether or not to buy, it seems to run in your mind, so until you buy it, you won't really know and find peace...

Pianoteq Pro 8.0.0, Organteq 1.6.5, MacBook Pro 16" i9, Mac OS X 13.0.1, Universal Audio Volt 4, Logic Pro X 10.7.5, FM8, Absynth 5, The Saxophones/Clarinets, Reaktor 6 and others

I was in the same position as you back in December; not much money and in dire need of a good sounding and playing piano. 

Fortunately, I had already helped my brother build an 8GB/Quad/Velociraptor/Server2008x64 system specifically for EWQLP so I knew what an utterly disappointing waste of money such a venture was.

Since you mentioned the EWQLP Bosendorfer specifically, I'll quickly list its faults/inadequacies, none of which exist in Pianoteq:

1) Performance is shocking even on a quad-core system, for anything like Debussy, Chopin, Reger, Lizst, Brahms. 

2) Many samples ruined by traffic noise which wasn't picked up during QA (WAS there any QA?)

3) Hit bottom B with the sustain pedal down.  Hear how it plays a C? Not one single mention of this by any forum member.  Are any classically-trained pianists using this software?

4) Very difficult to play cantabile passages due to poorly matched velocity layers/triggering

5) Latest Play update for x64 wouldn't work; QLP complained the installed version was 1 version lower than the required one.  How can this be when the QLP was several months old and Play was brand new?

6) Where's my half-pedal, re-pedaling and sympathetic resonance?

7) Who would design playback software which could not take advantage of all available RAM for a single instrument unless the soundcard latency was made unplayably high?  I don't want to load a 48-track orchestra, I want to play solo piano!

Sadly, I cannot agree with you that PQ's C3 sounds exactly the same as QLP Bosendorfer.  I wish the C3 DID sound a bit more like it, albeit without the quantization noise, velocity layer issues and an artic going past the studio every 30 seconds.  It's very possible that PQ Pro will give me the ability to produce exactly the tone I want over the full range of the instrument.  Certainly the C3 can be made even more plummy by backing off the microphones, but also listen to the close-miked version; they're worlds away from each other.

In my opinion, and having been a sample producer myself I wouldn't say I'm unqualified to voice an opinion, QLP should never have made it into production without some serious work on quality assurance.  To read the forum and the comments of the producers, one would think it was the most incredible product ever released. 

By contrast, prior to the release of PQ 3 there were dozens of discussions about the perceived problems with PQ and ways of mitigating those problems through EQ and other settings.  OK, so PQ3 has only 2 new piano models and you're not into historic stuff.  Neither am I, and I do play Beethoven, Bach, Schubert etc.

Given the fact that the v2-3 upgrade was essentially free, I would certainly take issue with your assertion that the KIVR project was being done on my dime.  Clearly a hell of a lot of work went into the improvements in v3 and given the quality of the product and its playability compared with the competition, £220 is a steal.

When considering value for money I'd much rather have 2 basic good-sounding models that I can tweak to my requirements, which have none of the issues found in sample-based pianos and will play happily on a Pentium M from 2005. 

I'm confident that if you purchased PQ3 and spent a month playing it and possibly tweaking the pianos and recording settings, then returned to QLP, you would find the latter to be like playing an ironing board. Ultimately for me, it isn't the fine detail of the tone that impresses, it is the playability and musicality of the instrument which is worlds away from a bunch of samples, regardless of how prestigious the studio is claimed to be.

Best//Neil

Your comments have been very enlightening. 

To begin with, I suppose I should begin by telling you what I'm looking for in a piano.  I'm not a classically trained pianist.  I have no interest in playing other people's compositions.  That doesn't float my boat at all.  I play piano adequately (as well as guitar and bass), and I'm looking for something to write music on.  I believe music is something contemporary to be enjoyed and shared.

To my mind the sound of a piano is a gorgeous thing, and when you open up the sustain pedal the way it all sings out is tremendous.  It's a glorious instrument, and very hard to capture.

Pianoteq has many unique features, such as the way the resonance of the sustain pedal is captured.  Ivory tries to imitate this resonance but it does a pretty poor job, and as far as I know EWQL doesn't try at all to capture this.  Pianoteq is also a wonderful thing to play, with so much feel to it.  It should be a no-brainer.

But at the end of the day, Pianoteq feels like Modarrts science project.  It doesn't feel that they are taking it seriously from a consumer's point of view.  For example, the harpsichords and pianofortes are an example of not meeting consumer demand- what were they thinking?  Did they really think people would want resources from the profits of the sale of the software to go into that nonsense?

Put it another way: Synthogy have just announced they will be giving away a free copy of their Italian Grand for everyone who buys their Grand Piano suite.  That's an excellent, top-draw, relevent, £90 product for free.  Pianoteq give us half-a-dozen modelled harpsichords and pianofortes, plus some indifferent pianos which are not updated or supported.  I would say that the Synthogy offer is far better, because it's relevent.  The Modarrt freebies are not.  Synthogy are treating their customers with respect, Modarrt are just using their customers to follow an esoteric, obscure and unhelpful project.

It's not enough to have a good idea.  You have to follow it through. 

I just don't have a lot of confidence in Modarrt as a company.  They seem utterly unaware that they are in a competitive marketplace.  They are offering a product that is expensive for what you get, is an immature technology, and has 'value-added' freebies that offer little to the people most likely to purchase the product.  Sure its cheap compared to the new V-Piano, but the V-Piano comes with a bloody great piano keyboard that takes three people to lift and feels just like the real thing.  It also has a lot more than two piano models.

I would love to support this product, I really would.  But Modarrt are making it very hard to do.

By the way, Neil, I think you're a bit hard on EWQL pianos.  You should try downloading the latest engine and applying the patches for the samples.  You should find most of the teething troubles have been worked out, though I can't say for sure.  And I still feel its the best sample-based product on the market, even if it is flawed.

I think I'm going to wait and see if the exchange rate drops against the Euro.  With any luck Greece, Ireland and Italy will hit the rocks and that will knacker the Euro right there.  Something must be wrong with your pricing policy if your product only seems like good value after the annihilation of a Western currency ...

I'm not sure any of us are qualified to discuss marketing strategies of Modartt really. Meaning that we probably have a small clue why the price is at that height, why the add ons are these, why they keep updates for existing customers free, etc. None of this makes sense if Modartt was EW (for example, and I'm a long term customer of theirs. )

About the price: Yes it does seem steep, but remember that you are effectively taking "eternal" updates. Not really sure if this will happen, but up to now I've not paid anything else and I've been updating like crazy every couple of months since 2007!

About the add ons: I'm only assuming, but I would dare to guess that there must be funding involved there. Modartt are only doing pianoteq now, which means that apart from selling pianoteq there's no other revenue involved. Researching is a possibility, and much worth the trouble in my opinion (otherwise there wouldn't be a pianoteq to begin with).

About the updates: Well... They are extra nice (?) What else can I say really? From the moment I started talking with the pianoteq people they've never failed to impress me with their every reply, every e-mail, every discussion. (Then again why would a customer care about all that?)*

* The answer is because with such customer service you are sure to be heard, and not get banned from SOL forums, for example, or silenced, or get sold a product which effectively does not work but to the state of art computers of today.

On the topic now.

I have Ivory, since it was first introduced in the market. I rarely used it and I'm not using it anymore, at all. The engine, had some troubles, with off line bouncing, which I've no idea if it's been resolved, but it gave me trouble. The lack, back then, of sympathetique resonance and the such, also provided issues for me.

Then came pianoteq: I was completely stunned by the playability of it. The sound is not 100,1% there (especially in v 2.01) when I first got it, but the playability: Oh man! The lack of velocity layers, the responce to my fingers. A marvel.

And I also have the Garritan Steinway, which I also like very very much, being a classically trained pianist and composer.

The truth is that when I'm dealing with classical music, I do turn mostly to GAST, but for everything else, I always end up to pianoteq. And not only for piano music, which is brilliant! anything from toy pianoteq, to broken down noises, etc, pianoteq is there for me. Exactly because it's so customisable.

In the end of things Modartt is offering 30 (or is it 45? :S Or has it changed? :S) of a trial version, which is missing a few keys (ok, so it does...). This would give you all the information you need to buy or not the piano.

On a personal level I always buy when I need, and very very rarely I will follow on a sale, or such. I just don't have things I don't need. Which gives me the opportunity to rarely feel bad about a buy I did. If you don't "need" it just wait. You do have 2 of the best pianos out there, regardless of the opinion of others really. QL Pianos are huge and are considered the "best", and Ivory has been a long contestant to be crowned "the best". QL Pianos should also be readily available for more contemporary approaches (pop/jazz/etc) as the demos show. Of course Pianoteq can also do that, but for someone who might not be making money out of music (no idea...) or for someone who doesn't "need" it right now (I did need drums, I just bought toontrack Superior 2, no questions asked, no delays. Gig was waiting) maybe waiting is the most reasonable course of action?

I do hope I've helped a littl.

Can any of my fellow pianoteqers think of one case of buyers remorse mentioned on this forum...?  I sure can't.  That says a lot.  That probably says enough.  Do a lot of folks wish some particular element was tweaked for their needs or tastes ?  Yup, I see some hands.  Could the Modartt team be out buying fishing lures with our hard earned money and only spending every other Tuesday programming software.  Maybe... but probably not.  It's more likely they are aliens who are disseminating this incredible technology slowly to us humanoids to avoid overwhelming our paltry brains.  Klatu berrata nicto !

Last edited by Cellomangler (20-04-2009 23:48)
"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

I don't need 9 pianos. I need one.

My sister has two. Real ones. I'm not exactly sure why. She also has a big job, big house, big income, no children.

I have Pianoteq. Does she enjoy playing her pianos more than I enjoy Pianoteq? I don't know. We're still looking for an objective metric. (We are reluctant to siphon our brain endorphins, although she could arrange that. She can also arrange brain scans, but we haven't worked out how to run the cost past the accountants).

Last edited by hyper.real (20-04-2009 22:50)

To the OP poster:

Sorry man, but I freking love harpsichords that come as add-ons. I love that instrument and am very glad Modartt took the time to model them. I'm also glad they modelled Erard, this sound (especially in v3!) is what makes my heart tremble with joy to play!

As for Modartt... I think they know they are in the marketing race, and they are walking it their own way. I think that Pianoteq isn't overpriced a single dime, because it covered most, if not all, of my personal needs. That is: powerful, flexible, quick-loading, low-resource using, quality sounding piano. And it does more than that at times.

You can't really go wrong man. Support Modartt, you'll get free updates and stuff. People who bought v1 a long time back, got up to v3 for FREE.

You don't get that with sample libraries, really.

Hard work and guts!

Daniel Polwarth wrote:

Put it another way: Synthogy have just announced they will be giving away a free copy of their Italian Grand for everyone who buys their Grand Piano suite.  That's an excellent, top-draw, relevent, £90 product for free.

This paragraph is interesting:

1) I firmly believe that the future lies in physical modeling, NOT in samples.  I also believe that the producers of samples know this.

2)  When a supposedly reputable company starts offering "two for one" sales, I start to wonder why.  Can you get two BMW's for the price of one?  Not likely.

Could it be that they see the writing on the wall so to speak?

The truth is, sample playability has not improved, they've just gotten bigger, and the technology (recording a sound and playing it back) is limited.

Physical modeling is getting better, and it will continue to do so.

I truly believe that physmod will completely replace samples in time.

I won't stop anyone from buying samples - that's a personal choice, but I don't believe that samples are the future.

If one needs to ask the opinion of others as to whether or not to purchase something, it doesn't indicate any weakness or lack or decision making, but rather it indicates that more time and research is needed in order to have the "right feeling".

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn NK (21-04-2009 04:42)

Daniel,

IMHO, you're really looking at things the wrong way.

With sample-based pianos, you're paying for the time it takes to record each piano and edit the samples.  To pay X amount for each piano is a sensible pricing structure.

With Pianoteq, you're paying for the technology of a virtual piano/instrument.  This is new technology and it comes at a cost.  The cost comes from the research, algorithms, and programming.

In samples, each piano has a different set of sounds.  In Pianoteq, each model has the same or similar underlying technology.  I think it's unfair for you to say that Modartt is modeling historical instruments at your expense.  To someone who understands technology, it's obvious that the cost to model these add-ons instruments is negligible compared to the cost of creating the algorithms that are the true heart and soul of Pianoteq.  If anything, these instruments likely aid in the research and development of creating an ever better modern piano modern.

Daniel,

If I wasn't clear in my last post, here's more to add.

Your thinking is that we should pay $50 for a Steinway.  Then another $50 for a Bosendorfer, and another $50 for a Yamaha.  That works for sample-based models, because you getting recordings of a Steinway, recordings of a Bosendorfer, and recordings of a Yamaha.

That sort of pricing model isn't beneficial for either developers or users of Pianoteq.  I'd like to think of the cost of Pianoteq as:

- Modeling different materials/hardness of hammers.
- Modeling different materials/thicknesses/length of the strings.
- Modeling different materials/shapes/sizes of the soundboard.
- Modeling the acoustics of the body, lid and room.
- Creating the user interface to tweak the settings.
- Many, many other things

Once these models are done, then it's a matter of adjusting parameters to give the instrument a particular character.  You're paying for the modeling technology, and the future improvements to that technology.  As the modeling improves, you'll get even better sounding virtual pianos, and more of them.

To the OP: My use for a piano is the same as yours, I need it to compose music, since I'm a songwriter. Until now I have been using The Grand, but it felt like a toy when I downloaded the Pianoteq demo (of version 2.2). The new version 3 is even better, and given all the parameters that can be adjusted (just watch the video on microphone placements), it's so much more than just two piano models. It's all models you ever want. And as many have said already - the upgrade path is one of the best parts. That's why I will buy Pianoteq as well as the Rhody/Wurly add-on.

Price for that wonderful software is normal . If U compare to stolen soft from IT , yes it's big .... But be honest this small company did the best, & I think, that 250 euros for good instrument is normal price, even if U will compare to other soft samplers. Physical modelling instruments sounds more individual,- how U will play on them, sample based like clones,- less individuality, like if playing Peter , Stevie , John , Angelina ..... & so on, sounds good, but same clone , less nuances, like cheap pop standard .
Pianoteq is best , only needs little bit to "repair" Rhodes & Wurlitzer , & make one more sound , - like Hohner Clavinet , Celeste, Marimba ....
No problem , I'm not rich , but I will pay .

Daniel Polwarth wrote:

Hello folks,
Pianoteq's models, while good, only consist of two pianos.  Furthermore, the pianos are very similiar sounding, with only minor differences in tone.  By comparison, the 'EWQL Pianos' (which are the best sampled pianos on the market in my opinion) has a vast range of different sounding pianos, each one suited to a different style.  The Pianoteq piano's from the latest demo basically sound like the Bosendorfer on the EWQL suite - very warm and plummy with little brightness or distinctive tone, the opposite to the Yamaha Grand.  This is no bad thing in itself - the Bosendorfer is a wonderful piano - but it does lead on to my next concern: the price.

With the introduction of pt3's mic positions, you sort of have to re think how you define "a" piano's sound.  True, the 2 models is somewhat limiting, but with mic positions, the sound palette is almost infinite.  You'll have to start tweaking to get your own sound to believe me on this one.  I was very skeptical, and initially hated the preset patch's sounds.  But after I started to seriously create a patch I liked, to use every day, I found just how variable the sound could be depending on the mic positions. 

But it does bring out an important problem though.  PT needs more usable presets.  It's always blowing the "physically correct" horn, but at the end of the day, people want something to replace Ivory, or QL pianos.  I believe it pt3 can sound as good, but there's no presets like that just yet. (I'm working on some) It's hard creating presets for pt3, similar to how it takes a specialist to mic a piano in real life.

That said though, I think pt3's value also depends on your playing style.  I mean, if you're a pianist, yes, the value is very high.  If you just need something to put in a trance remix, then it's probably not too cost efficient.  All I can say, though, is after fine tuning my patch, there is nothing out there that comes close to the feel and sound of pt3.  I'm not 100% satisfied, but at the moment, this is probably as good as it gets.

Last edited by kensuguro (21-04-2009 18:57)

Hey, everyone

I've had a chance to skim through the difference responses from everyone, and would like to contribute my 2-cents on this.

I have the EWQL pianos, and I also have the NI Akoustik Piano, in addition to the Pianoteq model. And I use them all in different environments.

Playability? Pianoteq wins HANDS-DOWN every time. The velocity response from extremely quiet segments to loud is unmatched by ANYONE out there. Tones are great, and the ability to tweak it to suit your environment are unparalleled.

Sonically? In an environment where other the piano is surrounded by a rhythm section and/or orchestrations, Pianoteq doesn't always sit in the mix as nicely. Not that it doesn't sound great, but rather that it takes a lot of sonic space... which doesn't always work.

CPU-usage...? What CPU-usage? I don't want to be adjusting my buffer settings to compensate for piano sample libraries hogging too many resources. It's annoying, and latency sucks when trying to play a rhythm passage.

Price? I've more than made the money back from the initial purchase from using it on jobs. Remember, it's just a tool being used to create something. If it inspires you to produce better work, then it's well worth it.

Marketing, impressions of the company as a whole are irrelevant. Personally, I applaud their pursuit of this new technological approach in an over-saturated environment of incomplete sample libraries. I haven't need any tech support, so I can't comment on what their tech support is like.

Try the demo out, and if you like it... great! If you don't, then find the tools that inspire you & make you happy... and buy them instead :)

...And now with ZERO TRANSFATS !
I'm just glad I discovered Pianoteq (way back when) before I had ever invested in any sample libraries - though I had created my own 256k sample set of my Chickering for my DSS-1.   That made it an easy choice. I really don't care what the sampled pianos sound like.  I'm into organic synthesis - FM rocks (particularly the FS1-R) because of the way velocity and other controllers are used to massage the timbre of each note into a living, expressive sound.  It's the force.  Everything else is the dark side.  OK, sampling is cool, too, but not as cool.........

buy it! I have -0 regrets!

I'm a proud customer since yesterday.

The advantages of piano for my situation are

I have a small sized modelled piano which sounds very convincing, No sample library can emulate the dampening and sympathetic resonance of the instrument like pianoteq does. It's not something you really expect in a popsong but this one can hold its own when you want to make music which brings the piano in front.

I already have so much sample libraries. They are ofcourse superb in their own right and I couldn't live without all my EWQL instruments I have. But there's something to say for physical modelling. It doesnt require you to have heaps of ram , speedy HD's: only 64bits maybe if it's going to be more represented in the future.

To annecdote, there's a steinway B piano that I have in my silver symphonic orchestra sample package. It doesnt sound bad at all, the orchestra part is superb but the piano samples have no regards for damper actions, and even the velocity sensitivity is very rough, Preventing you from doing very fine mezzo forte and forte expressions.

OFcoruse the solution would be to buy a huge library wich has a finer velocity range. But do I buy a 200+gb piano library or a 20 mb physical model that will truely "behave" like a piano ? The decision is easily made. Because with all the sound processing I do and mic placement

After a few years of watching this site and using trials to just play around with, waiting for the sound to mature and become convincing: I'm finally hooked:)

I agree with Glenn NK. Post 10.

Physical modelling of instruments seems to be the way forward. The only thing Pianoteq will have to worry about, is if it stands still and allow competition to over take it.

Links on physical modelling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUh21Eje56g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn_uBjKTnkQ

http://www.lnt.de/lms/research/projects...p?lang=eng

Last edited by DonSmith (24-04-2009 01:45)

Yeah I believe physical modelling will be the future as well and highly more efficient in system usage.

Especially when you take in account that with a physical model of a certain instrument, they can also make it execute all it's typical articulations. Whereas you now have to always use keyswitches to access many articulations of the instrument, Synful orchestra and wivi already show us that these articulation samples are fundamentally redundant and just take up memory space on an too expensive pc.

The physical model can do an interpretation of what you play and doesn't need more memory for it, only slightly more processing power maybe.

Daniel: I agree with all the answers my fellows have given you. Despite that, I'd to tell you that you really must know what do you want in the medium/long term in regard of the instrument of your choice.
Almost 4 years ago, I made a conscious decision to return to music (I did 3 years of piano when I was 10, had an accident that affected my legs and both hands and left music "for good".... a mental job most of it of course), so I decided to surft for and instrument. Taking account of all factors I knew at the time, I decided for a Yamaha Clavinova 309pe, which, besides being a nice addition to anybody's living room, has all the gadgets a starter musician wannabe would care about and a little more. It has BTW a great sound and an incredible weighted keyboard. But this is off topic.
So I forced myself bit by bit to get into music after more than 25 years and, as with my rediscovery of music, came also PTQ. The first time I stumbled into moddart web site was like an epiphany!. I recall listening to the "demos" of Hung Sung I could not believe it. I had to get a credit for almost 5 grand in order to buy my Yamaha and here was a waaaaay much better instrument for aprox. 300 bucks....

Did I regret buying the Clav? Hell no. At least it has a good midi implementation. But as soon as I found the way to buy it (which was much complicated because some political issues in Venezuela and foreign exchange restrictions), I just hooked it up and forgot completely about whatever stuff the Clav has... since the only need I have is to get the best sound possible from a piano.

I work everything with ptq (Hanon, Beyer (I'm going through the first year at the Conservatory ), and last month I made my first private recital at home using it through a dedicated (and cheap) Dolby SR system.
I played the three Gymnopédies and Melodie and Danse Rustique from Matsudaira.

PTQ just made me proud. I got also the added benefit of training my ears better by comparing sounds.  It's not easy to explain since I lack some of the theory behind it, but everytime I hear a real piano at the conservatory or anywhere else, its like Im automatically analising the sound in terms of PTQ parameters,... even detecting problems with the sound boards or specific strings! Ha....! I never thought this would happen.

In the end, it all goes down to what one expects in terms of learning. For me, it all has been a long and difficult road to get here, but right now, I'd trade all my intruments just for keeping PTQ.

Good Luck

PS. As much I as have been craving, I've been unable to circumvent the legal restrictions here in order to buy the addons (I love the Wurly sound)... but I don't lose hope.

Last edited by mimoviz (24-04-2009 11:50)
Guillermo

mimoviz wrote:

PS. As much I as have been craving, I've been unable to circumvent the legal restrictions here in order to buy the addons (I love the Wurly sound)... but I don't lose hope.

Get in touch with Modartt guys via e-mail, perhaps they can give you a bank account number to which you would directly pay the 50$ (circumventing PayPal or stuff like that), and they would send you the serial number for E-piano addons also via e-mail. When there's will, there is a way!

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Get in touch with Modartt guys via e-mail, perhaps they can give you a bank account number to which you would directly pay the 50$ (circumventing PayPal or stuff like that), and they would send you the serial number for E-piano addons also via e-mail. When there's will, there is a way!

Ohhh... there is. I have already walked down that path. Moddart guys have been and, at the time, were excellent in making suggestions. Since its illegal to make the transactions through any venezuelan banks, the only possible way is to make internet transfers from an autorized venezuelan credit card of a max of US$50 (which is the total amount alloted by the system and the goverment to spend online within a whole fiscal year) to a paypal account, then consolidate several transfers from different paypal accounts into mine and then I can buy stuff. MInd that in order to get the 50 bucks I have to ask favors to people and pay them in advance and with the black market rate.... its kind of people live isolated in Venezuela!
Everything is complicated... albeit not impossible when you really want it.

Guillermo

That's just not fair, man!

Have you considered moving to another country? ^^'

Hard work and guts!

mimoviz wrote:

...Since its illegal to make the transactions through any venezuelan banks, the only possible way is to make internet transfers from an autorized venezuelan credit card of a max of US$50 (which is the total amount alloted by the system and the goverment to spend online within a whole fiscal year) to a paypal account, then consolidate several transfers from different paypal accounts into mine and then I can buy stuff....

Why not just take the chance on postal delivery and mail $50 currency ?  It's generally reliable... just put "The Chavez French Support Group" instead of Modartt on the envelope...

" Their piano modelling is always added to, using historically significant models of things such as harpsichords and pianofortes.  In effect, Modartt are trying to put together a museum collection of historical instruments.  No doubt this is a very honourable undertaking, but why do it on my dime?  I don't want a harpsichord.  I don't want a pianoforte.  I certainly don't want half-a-dozen of the things, and I sure don't want to subsidise someone to model them.  Almost all of the freebies, with the exception of the CP-80, are utterly, utterly unusable for someone writing modern music.  What on Earth am I going to do with a harpsichord?"

This is an old comment, but I just have to strongly disagree. Some of us, like me, for example, were swayed to purchased PTQ PRECISELY because it has a wonderful collection of historic pianos and earlier keyboard instruments, unlike anything available anywhere else. PTQ actually has a good balance between jazz/pop/rock/contemporary and historically oriented classical music people, but some of us really love the historic instruments!

Last edited by oldionus (22-11-2015 22:00)
Amateur Standalone PTQ user; interests classical music, especially Bach and Mozart, and historic keyboards

oldionus wrote:

This is an old comment, but I just have to strongly disagree. Some of us, like me, for example, were swayed to purchased PTQ PRECISELY because it has a wonderful collection of historic pianos and earlier keyboard instruments, unlike anything available anywhere else. PTQ actually has a good balance between jazz/pop/rock/contemporary and historically oriented classical music people, but some of us really love the historic instruments!

amen!  'more historic pianos please, Modartt!

Matthieu 7:6

Yes you should buy!!!

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Daniel Polwarth wrote:

But at the end of the day, Pianoteq feels like Modarrts science project.  It doesn't feel that they are taking it seriously from a consumer's point of view.

Hell yeah, it's a science project! Modartt/Pianoteq is no ordinary software company. It's a handful of extremely talented super-nerds full on into mathematics, physics and music. The mastermind Philippe Guillaume is a professor of mathematics, and the scientific and mathematical basis for Pianoteq is openly available as the doctoral thesis of one of their staff Dr Juliette Chabassier, as well as in a number of peer-reviewed publications in leading scientific journals.

If you don't think that is right up there with the coolest things ever and that it's worth a couple hundred quid supporting that's a shame. Because this is the stuff that makes Modartt and Pianoteq so great, unique and more innovative than other companies focussed on appealing to the masses for the sake of maximising profits.

But it's fair enough that money's tight and it's up to you whether you want the product or not and whether it's useful to you and worth the money. No one can decide that for you. The demo version of the product is functional enough to give you a good idea of what the software can do. Even if you only get two basic instruments that come with the standard version of the software, it allows for so many tweaks of the parameters and also has a great selection of effects that let you create a large library of very distinct sounding virtual instruments (even with just "two" instruments). Maybe spend more time with the demo version, exploring the settings with the different instruments.

Edit: Doh! I did not realise this thread is six years old!! @oldionus I blame you! :-P

Last edited by SteveLy (25-11-2015 21:07)
3/2 = 5

A. Love, LOVE the historic instruments.
B. Pianoteq is an unalloyed marvel.
C. I strongly suspect that any subsidizing going on is the result of the generosity of the French public, in supporting public institutions that in turn help make Modartt possible (as an American, I am constantly advocating the same in my country. It's called CIVILIZATION). Not, that is, as the result of diversion of the very modest cost of the product to special projects that don't interest the buying public (See A; in fact they do; perhaps not everyone, but I have no interest in the Hohner collection or steel drums... but I don't complain about them).

And reviving this old thread is my fault. Sorry.

Last edited by oldionus (25-11-2015 21:18)
Amateur Standalone PTQ user; interests classical music, especially Bach and Mozart, and historic keyboards

I have been using Pianoteq demo for years now, obviously I hate the limitations but I still haven't bought  it because of various concerns:

1.- The, more now, huge price difference between the price in euros and dolars. Even more compared to the retail version avaible at thomman. I really can't make the payment of the 349 USD knowing I could get it for 194 euros on thomman.

2.- You can't choose the pair of instruments you want, I don't like k2, I want the bluthner.

3.- Stage version is affordable but I don't like the way it outputs sound compared to standard (mic positions vs "headphones").

I have no doubt Pianoteq is a superior product to any sampled library, also saves precious SSD space. But I think if it was possible to pay the same 194 as the retail version in Thomman I would have purchased it eons ago.

Think of it this way:  High Quality, Great Service, Low Price -- take any two. 
As you run through each combination, you will see that it is true in every case.

As someone who has furnished demos for EWQL Pianos, I don't use the product because the layering is not consistent, and the tuning is out on different notes at different velocities!  I have deleted all four sampled EWQL pianos from my hard drive.  It has a "gee whiz" effect when you first try them, they sound tremendous.  However, for serious work, I consider these and other sampled pianos as being unplayable without a tremendous of subsequent editing to avoid certain velocity ranges of certain notes, that vary between pianos.

As a former customer of Ivory, I was extremely disappointed in the Italian Grand (Fazioli), and ended up deleting the entire product from my hard drives to save space.

With Pianoteq (and I am not a paid employee of Modartt!), I am able to play the pianos in the same manner that I play high-quality acoustic studio- and concert grand pianos.

Joe

login wrote:

I have been using Pianoteq demo for years now, obviously I hate the limitations but I still haven't bought  it because of various concerns:

1.- The, more now, huge price difference between the price in euros and dolars. Even more compared to the retail version avaible at thomman. I really can't make the payment of the 349 USD knowing I could get it for 194 euros on thomman.
I have no doubt Pianoteq is a superior product to any sampled library, also saves precious SSD space. But I think if it was possible to pay the same 194 as the retail version in Thomman I would have purchased it eons ago.

I hear ya! The Aussie dollar is diving even deeper than the US dollar, so I feel your pain. And I agree that the Stage version is just a tease; the Standard offers so much more. If you're a music student (or professional teacher) there is a generous educational discount. (See "Buy" link on main site.) Maybe you should enrol in a music course if you get the opportunity. Could be a win-win.

3/2 = 5