Topic: New piano - PETROF

I'm rushing so I'll be very concise BRAVO

Played only PLAYER and RECORDING 3 patches through my headphones (20€ one) and really felt like sitting in front of the piano, super pleasant to play and accurate keytouch thank you.

P85>Kawai CA97>Numa XGT>FP90X>LX706
Pianoteq 8 Pro (all instruments) + Organteq 2
i7 4790K W10 64bits + Behringer UMC1820
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz

Re: New piano - PETROF

First impressions: just played the demo for half an hour...wow, looks like a  hit for Moddart. Very well balanced, meaty to say the least!
Requires v6.3 however. It seems much bigger than any previous version (192MB, I think). I wonder why?

PT 7.3 with Steinway B and D, U4 upright, YC5, Bechstein DG, Steingraeber, Ant. Petrov, Kremsegg Collection #2, Electric Pianos and Hohner Collection. http://antoinewcaron.com

Let's take a look.
I was waiting for a new model release so early.  Good surprise.

It sounds very decent, and with somewhat new feeling for tone. Good job of Moddart once again.

I was wondering... Petrof have a pattented magnetic balanced action and a magnetic accelerated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm27u3Ed4lI

Could the feeling of magnetic accelerated action be e(even partially) recreated with a special velocity curve or algorithm for pianoteq ?

In some Petrof pianos the magnets position it's adjustable easily to create a heavir or a light touch ressponse.

Last edited by Beto-Music (26-09-2018 21:51)

Getting closer to the "I can't tell if it's real or Memorex" player preset goal!  Very nice.

- David

Phil's review :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIS3OnTwpHg

aWc wrote:

First impressions: just played the demo for half an hour...wow, looks like a  hit for Moddart. Very well balanced, meaty to say the least!
Requires v6.3 however. It seems much bigger than any previous version (192MB, I think). I wonder why?

Where can we get v6.3? Please let my find the link.
Since the volume is 192MB, does it use (much) more CPU than the other versions?
I'm asking this because my CPU is old.

(I also wish they release a Bosendorfer Imperial Model!!!!)

Last edited by DFJEX (27-09-2018 04:54)

Congratulations once again - and thank you all at Modartt and Petrof teams - what a gorgeous sound! Majestic might be wild understatement. It's everything I love about modern grand pianos, in one.

Demos are outrageously good - the video: first thought whilst seeing real pianos on screen.. "Am I hearing the real piano at the start?".

What an entrance.

Already becoming a first choice affair. So detailed and versatile - and just what a range. We all have opinions about pianos progressing over time but lately at such a pace (both physical and modelled), it really does feel more and more as though a large quotient of the future as I dreamt it, has now arrived. I've probably said something like that that before - but wow Magnificent!

Love how the ANT. PETROF responds to the softest playing and so, so amazed at the range.

@Beto-Music - it's always inspiring to see piano makers exploring features like that.

Maybe lowering latency might be the #1 thing some users could do to get closer to the feel of the magnetic action? For reference for others, in Piantoeq Preferences/Devices/Audio Buffer size: lower number here = lower latency. Having said that, I like around 10 to 15ms for realism even though it can be made lower. Added to this, a faster curve does work really well with Ant. Petrof IMO (lots of room). A mix of those and I'd say it's possibly going some way toward the feeling of the action.?

Also - Phil Best's vid says a lot of the things I feel about this piano - thanks for posting it Beto. He shows the range off very well.

@aWc, Pianoteq install is around 50 mb with all instruments? Maybe someone else knows - or certainly I'd say double-check the size (Don't know but could it be a dependencies thing on Mac/Linux or something else being tied to the main install?)

@DFJEX, here's a link to Pianoteq 6 page. Doesn't seem to be more CPU hungry here - Standalone, "Blues Demo" Steinway D sits around 8% (between 6 low to 11 high) - around 3% idle. Next, Ant. Petrof sits around - actually seeing all other models the same - nice - strangely, hadn't tested that before. I thought we'd see a rise there.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Well done Modartt. It's the best policy to work with the makers.

A Petrof concert grand reviewed by Living Pianos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IOoZiFH1Ek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XxMXtlSJQw

Last edited by DonSmith (27-09-2018 07:52)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzIcdGk_85c
OK, different spelling, but you get the idea!

DFJEX wrote:
aWc wrote:

Where can we get v6.3? Please let my find the link.
Since the volume is 192MB, does it use (much) more CPU than the other versions?
I'm asking this because my CPU is old.

(I also wish they release a Bosendorfer Imperial Model!!!!)

Ah, I was mistaken, Qexl is right, the size is really 62MB (in MacOS at least). CPU usage is the same. Sorry for the mistake

PT 7.3 with Steinway B and D, U4 upright, YC5, Bechstein DG, Steingraeber, Ant. Petrov, Kremsegg Collection #2, Electric Pianos and Hohner Collection. http://antoinewcaron.com

I think I found a weird paradox, as strong as in some Sci Fi TV series.

Can pianoteq 6.3 be far better than a version from almost 10 years ago ?
Yeah, probably way better in all aspects.

Can a pianoteq model be better than the real thing for a given model?
Uh, a difficult question...

How a old version of pianoteq can be assumed better than the real thing ?
Weird to think about...

It's really crazy, isn't it???

But this old comparisom showed interesting results from audience, when Hugh Sung said some people even prefered pianoteq (10 years ago) over the real Petrof piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo0O1pC6zDA

So the old was better than the Petrof, and trhe new it's as good as Petrof, and the new it's at same time time better and somewhat worse than the old???   Ohhhn, that's insane to think about... What a paradox.  Háaa háaaa háaaa...

Last edited by Beto-Music (27-09-2018 17:50)

Beto-Music wrote:

Uh, a difficult question...

How a old version of pianoteq can be assumed better than the real thing ?
Weird to think about...

It's really crazy, isn't it???

But this old comparisom showed interesting results from audience, when Hugh Sung said some people even prefered pianoteq (10 years ago) over the real Petrof piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo0O1pC6zDA

So the old was better than the Petrof, and trhe new it's as good as Petrof, and the new it's at same time time better and somewhat worse than the old???   Ohhhn, that's insane to think about... What a paradox.  Háaa háaaa háaaa...

There is an explanation for this:
The first opinion is made by a group of people, the second opinion is made by another group of people.

Last edited by PTPlayer2017 (27-09-2018 20:13)

Really love the customized sound on the The Town Elders Of Petrovia and am wondering if there is any way we can have the customized presets used in the demos?

Beto-Music wrote:

<...>

I recall a story of when Enrico Caruso sang into Thomas Edison's original cylinder recorder/player, that people swore they could not tell the difference between Caruso's voice singing live and the cylinder of his voice played through that crude acoustic horn!  I keep coming back to the concept of the placebo effect, especially when the participants are informed which source is which.

Similarly, when I first became immersed into the world of midi and sampled piano hardware back in 1990, my first "piano" was an Emu PROformance piano module, sporting only 1MB (yes, 1 mega-, not 1 gigabyte) worth of piano sound.  At 16 bit 44.1k samples per second, that meant the entire piano's sample time was approximately 1/10th of a minute (or 6 seconds).  Imagine such a short short snippet of sound for each note, and then think of the massive amount of processing and looping that had to be done to the sound!

The point is, or was back then, that I mind's ear had a hard time distinguishing this disgusting little piano module from the real thing!!! 

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (29-09-2018 20:50)

jcfelice88keys wrote:

Similarly, when I first dived into the world of midi and sampled piano hardware back in 1990, my first "piano" was an Emu PROformance piano module, sporting only 1MB (yes, 1 mega-, not 1 gigabyte) worth of piano sound.  At 16 bit 44.1k samples per second, that meant the entire piano's sample time was approximately 1/10th of a minute (or 6 seconds).  Imagine such a short short snippet of sound for each note, and then think of the massive amount of processing and looping that had to be done to the sound!

The point is, or was back then, that I mind's ear had a hard time distinguishing this disgusting little piano module from the real thing!!!

it's funny, but i had the same piano module (and still do ... it's still going strong).  up until i got set up with pianoteq std last year it was still my gigging piano.  needless to say pianoteq is much better. 

and, to be on-topic, the Petrof is excellent.  i feel lucky to have gotten involved with pianoteq at this exciting time.  i got to go up to v.6 and saw the release of Grotrian, Steingraeber, and the authorized versions of Steinway B & D.  of course i plan to buy the Petrof, but now i have to decide what the other piano will be! probably the YC5 (i have almost all the other acoustic pianos). 

i really appreciate Modartt's hard work and am more than happy to support them.

Last edited by budo (28-09-2018 18:20)

The YC5 doesn't seem to get much love around here. I has my favourite lower keys sound (lowest 1 1/2 octave) of the bunch: deep, round and full. Funny, because the physical YC5 is as small as the Steinway B but has much stronger low end. I did some extensive preset tweaking on the demo and I really like it. Was at the top of my purchasing list...but now there's the Petrof!

Come on... Some wax cylinders was better than some CDs, Háa háa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0xhrkh0-KY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jie-_cq0afA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UR8ppYHIb8

Interesting how the first and second recordings have low noise and the third recording a lot of noise.

Ok, I was kidding about CDs.

Placebo exist, but also a oposite effect called nocebo. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocebo

I suspect much pianoteq haters have nocebo effect, since they hated the early version and, even after the sound was deeply refined in modern version, they keep hating it like early versions.

For example, I'm a deep LCD hater, cause people told LCD TVs was fine and I found it absolutely heavily repulsive in all ways (angle distortions, crushed blacks&clipped whites, fadded look, motion blur) and even after years these deffects remains in some degree. I hate so much the fact of be offered horrible version, finding it disgusting while people insisted to me it was fine, that even the most modern LCD (latest LEDs models or even quantum dots) of today makes me dislike, even if in some case just a tiny residual of the initial deffects remains in a latest model more advanced.

I'm also a digital air broadcast hater, since the digital broadcast signal have much compression and kill details and textures of image, making it overal no better than DVD, if you consider digital broadcast for meddium and high motion get a lot of blur effect. So even if the broadcast technology or bitrate improve a lot, I will still search for any deffects to point out. Anyway, at present time digital broadcast by air it's still a deep mess, unwatchable for me. Honestly, I can't watch it (digital broadcast on a digital TV) even if you pay me to watch.
I watch on computer cause I was used to accept computer videos as somewhat inferior due internet limitations of speed in earlier days. Even so I don't watch in full screen and I don't watch entire movies, cause I can't accept such standart for entertainment for long things.

And I'm also a LCD computer monitor hater, and I suffered a lot to be forced to change to such monitors, as the CRT had stoped work and standarts of 16:9 became a need.

jcfelice88keys wrote:

I recall a story of when Enrico Caruso sang into Thomas Edison's original cylinder recorder/player, that people swore they could not tell the difference between Caruso's voice singing live and the cylinder of his voice played through that crude acoustic horn!  I keep coming back to the concept of the placebo effect, especially when the participants are informed which source is which.

Similarly, when I first dived into the world of midi and sampled piano hardware back in 1990, my first "piano" was an Emu PROformance piano module, sporting only 1MB (yes, 1 mega-, not 1 gigabyte) worth of piano sound.  At 16 bit 44.1k samples per second, that meant the entire piano's sample time was approximately 1/10th of a minute (or 6 seconds).  Imagine such a short short snippet of sound for each note, and then think of the massive amount of processing and looping that had to be done to the sound!

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by Beto-Music (28-09-2018 19:45)

aWc wrote:

The YC5 doesn't seem to get much love around here. I has my favourite lower keys sound (lowest 1 1/2 octave) of the bunch: deep, round and full. Funny, because the physical YC5 is as small as the Steinway B but has much stronger low end. I did some extensive preset tweaking on the demo and I really like it. Was at the top of my purchasing list...but now there's the Petrof!

In v5 I didn't like the YC5 at all, I thought it was ghastly. But in v6 I've become attracted to its bright, 'fizzy' tone (and I love those bass notes). Until recently I couldn't really enjoy it without fear of frying my eardrums, but now I'm learning to EQ and do things with the lid and mics, so I can definitely enjoy it. Pianoteq has now become an embarrassment of riches with so much quality on offer. Do I really need the Petrof? No. But will I buy it? Yes!

Didn't try it yet but bought it and picked up the electric pianos too... it shows all registered but showing Demo when opened...always something....figured it out..yay...Ill try it later...off to get 2 of my 3 matching custom Emerald Carbon Fiber guitars (pedal wood laminate )  set up....nice!! I love Pianoteq and some of my guitars.

Last edited by Kramster1 (29-09-2018 14:39)
Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

just purchased the Petrof and it is really nice. fatter sounding than the other models i have. using Logic Pro i mute the onboard effects and make some slight eq adjustments to sweeten it for my monitor system and it is beautiful. seems like the ongoing improvements will soon end my reliance on sampled pianos. i use Pianoteq version 6 standard which really  lets you do some cool edits to the basic model settings. i got the electric pianos today as well and they are very nice.

Last edited by Robin (29-09-2018 00:37)

Well done Modartt, another wonderful accomplishment.

Warmest Regards,

Chris

jcfelice88keys wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

<...>

Cheers,

Joe

”The point is, or was back then, that I mind's ear had a hard time distinguishing this disgusting little piano module from the real thing”

Similarly,  1989-1995 I had a Commodore 64 + C-Lab Scoretrack 16 track sequenserprogram on big floppydisc and a Roland U-20 keyboard and an interface. Thought I had the best pianosound in the world with U-20 pianosound when recorded and saved on c-cassette with home stereo, singback versions of schoolsongs for the pupils. Still have the Commodore 64. One person here made recordings with C-64 and did a CD 1988 (Mainingit Backwaves).
When listening to Niclas’ website on his recording with EMU?, it is a bit like Ptq Cinematic. EMU was as well partly based on physical modelling, I think.

BTW, My favorite now, and next buy, is ANT. PETROF 275 (and YC5).

Thank you Pianoteq, another great instrument and also the chance to grab Vibes at a discount.

KawaiMP11SE KorgPA4X CubasePro10.5 GigPerformer Pteq7Pro IvoryStway B Komplete Omnishphere

Best! Bravo!

Beto-Music wrote:

And I'm also a LCD computer monitor hater, and I suffered a lot to be forced to change to such monitors, as the CRT had stoped work and standarts of 16:9 became a need.

Me too! It drives me mad that the colour is different when I move my head, or even for each eye owing to the differing viewing angle. I also think that more recent screens are worse in this regard than IPS panels from a few years ago. My Samsung laptop from 2012 has better viewing angles than my new MacBook Pro or the Dell XPS 15. I had the XPS screen changed before returning the computer. I had just assumed that a 2018 screen would be better than a 2012 one.

I haven't looked at the expensive Eizo monitors or the like, but I work exclusively on a laptop. I can only imagine what modern CRTs would have been like.

Last edited by johnstaf (29-09-2018 19:16)

At least someone on this planet understands me !
The people who accepted passive matrix LCD to replace CRT, years ago... there were freaks.

I thought IPS could be a hope, but when I tested one I found it almost as bad as LCD-LED backlight monitors. The IPS also change the light in angles, even if not much, but changes in a more homogen form, but get darker and fadded, and this anoys me. And if look by very close view, like in 55 inch screen TVs, it also appear brighter in the center.  And it have also motion blur, killing details in motion, plus the video compression killing detrails too. Poor dynamic range prone to white clipping and black crushing(I have deep aversion for both).

Honestly, I can't watch, for entertainment, digital format films on digital TV. Some people call me crazy, but I can't, cause I notice, every single lie this industry push. They said that have perfect digital images, but it's a crap, in some ways worse than analogic system. It kill details a lot, if creates artifacts, micro and macro blocking, banding (no decent gradient anymore on TVs). Some sat system here, use so much compression, have a so miserable bitrate for HD, than it got as bad as VHS in some scenes for some chanels. MGM Gold HD, presenting Mad Max (remake) in HD, during action scenes, was pure artifacts, less details than VHS, and with the chanel & TV fadded look.
4k files, interpolated from 2K masters, sold as UHD Blu Ray, and people proud saying: "Hey I have a 4K film."  And you can't see 4K even if the file was true and if compression had no loss, caus if you stand close enought to see it the TV get way more distortion of brightness distribution along screen surface.
And OLED have motion blur too.

Good DVDs on good CRT was ok. DVD use to have better rendering of shaddows, while actual encoding used in Blu-Rays and TVs have poor shadows (more prone to blocking a lot) and les percentage of detail loss in motion.

Here a TV I would like to have, and it's hight than 1080p:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tFzHJLtcCI

Let's stop this off topic or they will delete our posts.
:-)

johnstaf wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

Me too! It drives me mad that the colour is different for each eye owing to the differing viewing angle. I also think that more recent screens are worse in this regard than IPS panels from a few years ago. My Samsung laptop from 2012 has better viewing angles than my new MacBook Pro or the Dell XPS 15. I had the XPS screen changed before returning the computer. I had just assumed that a 2018 screen would be better than a 2012 one.

I haven't looked at the expensive Eizo monitors or the like, but I work exclusively on a laptop. I can only imagine what modern CRTs would have been like.

Last edited by Beto-Music (29-09-2018 19:26)

Hey, I think we know this wise man :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm2-WPUr6P8

Interesting, this is the first time Modartt had the chance to analyze a grand piano using a anechoic chamber.

And looks like a "robot" arm was used hit the Petrof piano keys with exactly measurable velocity.

I wonder if would be possible to build a portable (somewhat...) anechoic chamber, to help sample/analyse pianos not allowed to be transported usually, like old pianos in museums. It could be like mount/assemble a geodesic dome, and with holes/plugs to fit the pyramidal sound absorbers. An anechoic dome.

Last edited by Beto-Music (30-09-2018 04:17)

A wonderful addition to Pianoteq's arsenal. In my wish list already... Keep up the good work!

A minor gripe:  Using Recording 2 preset I get an unpleasant resonance when playing Gb2 with sustain pedal down at high velocities (both headphones and monitor speakers). Maybe it could be adjusted in future releases?

Very cool video!

Thanks for posting.

- David

I wonder if the piano music in the sampling work video it's from pianoteq Petrof emulation or from a real Petrof.

Anyway, a music I think really should be on pianoteq demos page it's this real cool one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf8TJBfy6Ao

If someone in this forum is very good on take music by ear, and skilled playing boogie woogie, would be just great to have such pianoteq Petrof performance.

dklein wrote:

Very cool video!

Thanks for posting.

Last edited by Beto-Music (30-09-2018 21:51)

Beto-Music wrote:

If someone in this forum is very good on take music by ear, and skilled playing boogie woogie, would be just great to have such pianoteq Petrof performance.

Upon listening to this boogie woogie sound track, I have two concerns:

1) It sounds like a three-handed midi file rather than something played live -- three-handed parts consist of bass line played in somewhat low octaves; plus right hand chords played in the vicinity of Middle C, and then the jazzy top line is played about 2 octaves higher.  Moreover, there is zero variation in tempo, and it sounds as though most (if not all) note-on velocities are fixed at a value of approximately 80.

2)  Unless I am very mistaken, this "piano" does NOT sound like a Petrof piano  (real-, sampled-, modeled- or otherwise) was used in this demo.  Rather, it sounds to me as though someone grafted a midi sound track onto this video.

Even if I or someone else were to mimic this soundtrack, Pianoteq's Petrof piano would NOT match what is heard here.

Sorry, but don't shoot the messenger ....

Joe

Costis wrote:

A minor gripe:  Using Recording 2 preset I get an unpleasant resonance when playing Gb2 with sustain pedal down at high velocities (both headphones and monitor speakers). Maybe it could be adjusted in future releases?

For some reason I don't notice a strong difference between the Gb2 (the third Gb moving upward from the bottom of an 88-note keyboard, with or without sustain pedal) and the surrounding notes or contrast in transitions among them. They seem fairly well balanced or graded in sound to me. If you have Pianoteq 6 Pro, you might try adjusting the spectrum profile for that particular note in Note Edit (the first overtone of Gb2 (which I'm guessing is the fundamental frequency of the note) and the second overtone are both adjusted downward (as are most of the notes near Gb2 or in the bass range).

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (01-10-2018 11:59)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Are you seriously ?
Saying a respectable piano manufacturer would use a MIDI like, WMP MDI databank, to create a video presentation of the company. Petrof founder would roll in his grave. I wouldn't even dare to send them a email asking it.

For me it sounded always like a heavy hand performance of two boogie pianists playing a upright. A "heavy hand" style, often for many fast enthusiastically boogies, can sound giving a idea somewhat poor in velocity and harsh for metalic tones.

If I remamber well someone years ago told the name of this music or the name of the performes, but I forgot take note. ANyway I couldn't find, at the time, if the information was correct.

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
Costis wrote:

For some reason I don't notice a strong difference between the Gb2 (with or without sustain pedal) and the surrounding notes. They seem fairly well balanced or graded in sound to me. If you have Pianoteq 6 Pro, you might try adjusting the spectrum profile for that particular note in Note Edit (the first overtone of Gb2 (which I'm guessing is the fundamental frequency of the note) and the second overtone are both adjusted downward (as are most of the notes near Gb2 or in the bass range).

I'd like to congratulate Pianoteq. Have been enjoying the new Petrof model and also the YC5 which I picked up as well. The Petrof seems to work very nicely with modern music (meaning late romantic, modern, expressionist periods and onwards).

Hopefully, we see more PTQ models in the coming year with that 50% off discount! Got the Steingraeber/U4 and the Petrof/YC5 combinations, which leaves the Kremesegg 1 & 2, Harpsichord and Harp still on my wish list!

Last edited by Groove On (01-10-2018 14:29)

Beto-Music wrote:

Are you seriously ?
Saying a respectable piano manufacturer would use a MIDI like, WMP MDI databank, to create a video presentation of the company. Petrof founder would roll in his grave. I wouldn't even dare to send them a email asking it.

Well "fortunately" I'm a little crazier than you are and I asked them. :-)

Actually I asked them if they could identify the piece, the player(s) and the pianos used on that boogie woogie piece by email a few days ago.

Unfortunately they no longer have that information as it's an old video and people have moved on.  This was their reply :

thank you for your question. Unfortunately, my answer will not be very useful. The video is very old and was prepared by our previous colleagues.

We tried to find out at least the name of the song, but with no chance.

I am sorry we could not help.

And as always a big thank you to European businesses who are willing and able to communicate with me in English because I'm not able to communicate with them in their native language.

So no joy.

We probably need a boogie woogie expert.  Anyone know Jools Holland's email address ? :-)

StephenG

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00738f4/contact

http://www.joolsholland.com/

https://www.facebook.com/joolsholland/

https://www.facebook.com/laterwithjoolsholland

What about ask hin to transcript the boogie using pianoteq and play with a guest in his TV program ?

sjgcit wrote:

Anyone know Jools Holland's email address ? :-)

Last edited by Beto-Music (05-10-2018 21:34)

Here's a pic from my analyzer to evidence this. The overtone is at 1676 Hz and is red in the graph for unusually long. There's no issue with neighbouring notes. Unfortunately I only have stage version.

http://i64.tinypic.com/21j5bfs.jpg

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
Costis wrote:

For some reason I don't notice a strong difference between the Gb2 (the third Gb moving upward from the bottom of an 88-note keyboard, with or without sustain pedal) and the surrounding notes or contrast in transitions among them. They seem fairly well balanced or graded in sound to me. If you have Pianoteq 6 Pro, you might try adjusting the spectrum profile for that particular note in Note Edit (the first overtone of Gb2 (which I'm guessing is the fundamental frequency of the note) and the second overtone are both adjusted downward (as are most of the notes near Gb2 or in the bass range).

jcfelice88keys wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

Cheers,

Joe

A very late addition to that . My great grandmother, who often went to see live concerts and had an own Bechstein grand (until the Nazis took it from her) got, every 2 or 4 weeks around 1925 it must have been, a funny "apparatus". They brought it into the house and it contained 4 headphones from that time. It was - so I was told - meant to broadcast an opera from a major city. They sat there, listened to an opera, and after 5 minutes they were simply happy and felt exactly like they did when sitting in a real concert hall. I always liked that story.

Costis wrote:

Here's a pic from my analyzer to evidence this. The overtone is at 1676 Hz and is red in the graph for unusually long. There's no issue with neighbouring notes. Unfortunately I only have stage version.

http://i64.tinypic.com/21j5bfs.jpg

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
Costis wrote:

What analysis program is this screenshot from?

Jake Johnson wrote:

What analysis program is this screenshot from?

I'd also like to know. In recent years (as KVR member) I would have known, but am way behind new programs now. If we won't get an answer, I'll mail the picture to a mate studying at a pop-school university. But surely we'll get an answer^^.