Topic: Steingraeber vs Steinway, Grotrian and Bluethner

I noticed that many people on this forum are wondering what is the difference between the new Pianoteq Steingraeber and the other concert grand pianos.

Maybe the recordings below will be able to give some answers, without pretending to be the absolute truth ...

All recordings were made with the same microphones placement, in the same room (deliberately, a small piano showroom).

The purpose here is not to hear the sound of the pianos as if they were next to you in the room, but to listen to their sound in a realistic demo recording configuration (not a cd), raw and without post-production to correct the sound defects.

Steingraeber E-272

https://soundcloud.com/modelling-audio-...eber-e-272

Sound caracteristics:

- bright
- very clear both in the mids and basses
- it is closest to the fortepiano sound than the other pianos in my opinion

Grotrian Concert Royal

https://soundcloud.com/modelling-audio-...cert-royal

Sound caracteristics:

- intimate sound
- a little shy
- both warm and bright
- round
- low range slightly confused, but generally quite good clarity

Bluethner Model One

https://soundcloud.com/modelling-audio-...-model-one

Sound caracteristics:

- large sound
- a little imposing, however a little ‘‘flabby’’
- quite boomy and confused in the low-mids (but can be corrected with an EQ)

Steinway Model D

https://soundcloud.com/modelling-audio-...ay-model-d

Sound caracteristics:

- Steinway pianos typical ‘‘beaded’’ sound
- warm
- many presence and body
- powerful basses
- low-mids confused and a little '' underwater '' (but can be corrected with an EQ)
- mids clarity however quite good

Of course, the comments I added are just my personal opinion, and it is possible that other people have a very different perception of the sound of each instrument.

Also, notice that the sound characteristics of each instrument will be different depending on the placement of the microphones and the room characteristics.

**************** EDIT: SEE BELOW ON THIS PAGE, THE SAME TEST IN A 10,000 m3 CONCERT HALL ****************

Last edited by Modelling Audio Prod (25-06-2018 12:05)

Re: Steingraeber vs Steinway, Grotrian and Bluethner

High-quality audio files can be downloaded here: http://modelling-audio-expert.com/stein...-download/

Thanks.
Am I wrong in thinking Steingraeber sounds like the best of Steinway and Blüthner combined?
And then there's that extra pedal and the Mozart rail.

Edit: the interpretations are not identical, though, if you listen to the Blüthner at 0:19 for instance, compared to the others. Some notes missing I believe.

Last edited by Fleer (23-06-2018 21:15)
Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

Thank you. I agree with many of your characterizations of the piano models. I didn't notice the "shyness" of the Grotrian until you mentioned it above.

It does confirm for me, what I was starting to realize - that my two PTQ favorites are now the Steingraeber and the Steinway D. Though for this piece, I think the Bluethner sounded nicer than the Steinway D. Perhaps because I prefer the darker presets of the Steinway D, while the Bluethner has that nice high tone that sounds nice with Bach.

But I do feel a bit embarrassed ranking them. Even if I put the Grotrian 4th, it feels like a ridiculous ranking - it's still a pretty fantastic model. All together, they are a plethora of acoustic riches.

Honestly, it's a good time to be alive and playing piano! Thank you Pianoteq and team!

Last edited by Groove On (23-06-2018 21:31)

Fleer wrote:

Am I wrong in thinking Steingraeber sounds like the best of Steinway and Blüthner combined?

It's a very interesting question, but it would be very difficult for me to answer.  However, I think that the Steinway sound is incomparable to other pianos, and I find that the Bluethner has almost no attack compared to the Steingraeber.

Fleer wrote:

Edit: the interpretations are not identical, though, if you listen to the Blüthner at 0:19 for instance, compared to the others. Some notes missing I believe.

Yes, the piece has been replayed voluntarily on each piano, because you can't play with the same feeling on a Steingraeber as on a Bluethner.

Groove On wrote:

But I do feel a bit embarrassed ranking them. Even if I put the Grotrian 4th, it feels like a ridiculous ranking - it's still a pretty fantastic model. All together, they are a plethora of acoustic riches.

I would also be embarrassed to make a ranking. I almost made an evaluation score for each piano by writing this thread, but finally I abstained, because it also depends a lot on the repertoire, the sound recording technique, the room volume, and especially the taste of each person.

On the other hand, I was curious to know what was the popularity of these four great brands in the world ... below are some statistics of my research (source: Google Trends)

We can see that Steingraeber pianos are really not well known compared to the others, except in Germany, yet they are very good instruments.
Personally, I had never heard Steingraeber pianos before, and I'm very happy to discover their beautiful sound thanks to Pianoteq.

United States

1. Steinway (around 85% of people)
2. Grotrian (around 15% of people)
3. Blüthner (around 2% of people, depending states)
4. Steingraeber

United Kingdom

1. Steinway (around 85% of people)
2. Blüthner (around 10% of people)
3. Grotrian (around 5% of people)
4. Steingraeber

France

1. Steinway (around 88% of people)
2. Grotrian (around 5% of people, Paris)
3. Blüthner
4. Steingraeber

Germany

1. Steinway (around 70% of people)
2. Grotrian (around 30% of people)
3. Steingraeber (around 5% of people, depending states)
4. Blüthner

Russia

1. Steinway (around 90% of people)
2. Blüthner (around 10% of people, Moscow)
?. Grotrian
?. Steingraeber

Japan

1. Steinway (nearly 100% of people)
?. Grotrian
?. Blüthner
?. Steingraeber

Last edited by Modelling Audio Prod (24-06-2018 00:03)

Wow, thank you for the very interesting comparison, Pierre!

It was very nice to hear the piece performed on all the 4 pianos above with the same setting and your description sounds quite accurate to me.

Personally, I like the Grotrian the nicest sounding of the 4 at this moment. It's warm and rounded, yet clear and quite natural to my ears. It's the sound I like when I'm playing daily.
The Steingraeber is quite good, but the brightest of the bunch. It does indeed have a thinner sound. My impression is that it would fit baroque and classical music quite well. Baroque especially. It fits the current piece very well, maybe the best, but it's not my fave.
The Steinway and the Bluethner sound quite nice. Warm, yet powerful, but I don't like them so much lately. They seem to me less natural sounding than the Grotrian. Less refined. This despite the fact that before buying Pianoteq, I used the Bluethner a lot in trial mode and I was sure that was the one. Maybe it has to do with the brighter headphones I was using at the time, or the fact that the Grotrian was only recently launched and I didn't get to try it enough to appreciate it.
When I bought PT I was actually split if I should get another instrument beside the Bluethner which I knew I wanted, and I was oscillating between Model B and the Grotrian. I'm glad I god the latter. That's virtually all I play since I got it.

Are you considering doing something similar for the remaining modern grands in Pianoteq: Model B, K2, YC5? Perhaps also 1922 Erard, 1926 Pleyel, and 1899 Bechstein? It would be fascinating to see your insights.

Astonishing to see such a low popularity rating for Bluthner in Germany, of all places. How accurate is Google Trends, I wonder?

********************************************************* GAVLE CONCERT HALL RECORDING TESTS *************************************************************

Below is a new version of the recording tests in a concert hall of approximately 10,000 cubic meters (the room volume for which grand pianos are designed for optimal acoustics). This is a simulation of Gävle Konserthus in Sweden.

Again, all the recordings were made with the same microphones configuration, in this same concert hall, without eq to correct the defects.

The purpose is only to compare each piano with a raw sound in a realistic recording setup.

Steingraeber E-272

https://soundcloud.com/modelling-audio-...eber-e-272

Sound caracteristics:

- always so very bright and clear
- very incisive attack

Grotrian Concert Royal

https://soundcloud.com/modelling-audio-...cert-royal

Sound caracteristics:

- always a little intimate and shy
- both warm and bright
- round

Bluethner Model One

https://soundcloud.com/modelling-audio-...-model-one

Sound caracteristics:

- large sound with a lot of sustain
- majestic
- boomy sound disappeared (due to a better and more appropriate concert hall)

Steinway Model D

https://soundcloud.com/modelling-audio-...steinway-d

- typical Steinway sound
- warm
- clear and powerful basses
- underwater sound disappeared (due to a better and more appropriate concert hall)

Last edited by Modelling Audio Prod (25-06-2018 12:09)

High-quality audio files can be downloaded here: http://modelling-audio-expert.com/stein … -download/

mcoll wrote:

Thank you! and sorry, I’m Mickael… Pierre Wolf is the pianist I work with for recording tests.

mcoll wrote:

Personally, I like the Grotrian the nicest sounding of the 4 at this moment. It's warm and rounded, yet clear and quite natural to my ears. It's the sound I like when I'm playing daily.

I also love Grotrian. It was my favorite, but now I hesitate with the Steingraeber.
Modartt really did a great job with this new instrument.

mcoll wrote:

The Steingraeber is quite good, but the brightest of the bunch. It does indeed have a thinner sound. My impression is that it would fit baroque and classical music quite well. Baroque especially. It fits the current piece very well, maybe the best, but it's not my fave.

I also think that the Steingraeber is actually very good for baroque and classical music, because according to me, it is closer to harpsichord and fortepiano than other pianos.

Here's what Steingraeber & Söhne say on their website (https://www.steingraeber.de/en/instrume...nos/e-272/):

At the latest test of eleven concert grand pianos from all of the top manufacturers, Le Monde de la Musique (Paris) wrote that “… these days it would be hard to find a better instrument for interpreting Bach, Mozart and Beethoven.”

In doing this test, we wanted to verify it with Bach, and we will do it later with Mozart and Beethoven.

Of course, this piece of Bach from the French Suites doesn’t represent all the music of Bach, but it gives an idea to compare.

dazric wrote:

Are you considering doing something similar for the remaining modern grands in Pianoteq: Model B, K2, YC5? Perhaps also 1922 Erard, 1926 Pleyel, and 1899 Bechstein? It would be fascinating to see your insights.

Yes, it's a very good idea!

I think we'll do the same tests with Model B, K2 and YC5 for classical, jazz and pop. It would be interesting.

Comparing the historical pianos and fortepianos by periods is also a good idea. We will surely do it.

Concerning harpsichords, I think it will be different, because in my opinion, they are not really comparable due to the particular baroque genre for which they were created.
I can't wait for Modartt to model some Ruckers competitors.

dazric wrote:

Astonishing to see such a low popularity rating for Bluthner in Germany, of all places. How accurate is Google Trends, I wonder?

Although this may be close enough to reality, Google Trends statistics are of course only a rough estimate, as it only takes into account the amount of Google search for each brand.

Last edited by Modelling Audio Prod (25-06-2018 13:24)

Wonderful test, Pierre.
Still favor the Blüthner, then the Steingraeber.

Edit, sorry Pierre, I mean Mickael.

Last edited by Fleer (26-06-2018 12:16)

Dear Pierre,

First of all, thanks greatly for the fine comparisons.

If you are going to repeat this exercise with different music, could it be something with lots of chords and multiple note combinations? I find that DP manufacturers like to show off these 'one note at a time' examples--and I suspect that is because their DPs face far tougher challenges when ten or twenty notes are on the board at the same time...

Modelling Audio Prod wrote:
mcoll wrote:

Thank you! and sorry, I’m Mickael… Pierre Wolf is the pianist I work with for recording tests.

Sorry, in that case, thank you Mickael! (and Pierre) 

In the second piece it's harder for me to pick a favorite. I like how the clear sound of the Steingraeber fits the piece. And I also like the Bluethner quite a lot. However, I'm thinking that there aren't very loud notes to hear the bottom end of the pianos, so I don't really know what to expect in that stage simulation.
Nonetheless, the idea is wonderful and the sound is indeed fantastic through all four.

NormB wrote:

Dear Pierre,

If you are going to repeat this exercise with different music, could it be something with lots of chords and multiple note combinations? I find that DP manufacturers like to show off these 'one note at a time' examples--and I suspect that is because their DPs face far tougher challenges when ten or twenty notes are on the board at the same time...

Actually, DP manufacturers used to play loud pieces with quick notes because they masked certain weaknesses in their sound. And now when they pick a slow piece, with long sustained notes, it's to show that they're not afraid to use such exposing music for their sound engines.
If you have a porridge of notes, it's harder to clearly hear each note and to hear each detail.

Pieces with held notes and fast treble sequences are hard to "get right" on many DPs, including Pianoteq until version 6.  Back then I realized that playing pieces like Horace Silver's "Song for My Father" made a muddy mess of things on most of the Pianoteq instruments of version 5, whereas on my acoustic piano the attack of each new note could be heard clearly against the decay of the the prior notes.  To me, this it the type of piece that separates the realism of good digital pianos.

- David

dklein wrote:

Pieces with held notes and fast treble sequences are hard to "get right" on many DPs, including Pianoteq until version 6.  Back then I realized that playing pieces like Horace Silver's "Song for My Father" made a muddy mess of things on most of the Pianoteq instruments of version 5, whereas on my acoustic piano the attack of each new note could be heard clearly against the decay of the the prior notes.  To me, this it the type of piece that separates the realism of good digital pianos.

This represents my feelings also. Held notes on DPs force interactions between notes that are sometimes quite unpleasant, yet of course won't be heard on 'single note' recordings. As a case in point, PT 6.2 somehow has reduced what I can only characterize as a kind of deep background IM distortion (it probably isn't that, really), as compared with 6.1--but I only notice the difference in a big way when using a lot of sustain and a fair number of played notes.

NormB wrote:

Held notes on DPs force interactions between notes that are sometimes quite unpleasant, yet of course won't be heard on 'single note' recordings. As a case in point, PT 6.2 somehow has reduced what I can only characterize as a kind of deep background IM distortion (it probably isn't that, really), as compared with 6.1

I imagine that only an IMD analyzer could tell us the truth, because many things can give this impression.

mcoll wrote:
NormB wrote:

Dear Pierre,

Actually, DP manufacturers used to play loud pieces with quick notes because they masked certain weaknesses in their sound. And now when they pick a slow piece, with long sustained notes, it's to show that they're not afraid to use such exposing music for their sound engines.
If you have a porridge of notes, it's harder to clearly hear each note and to hear each detail.

I also think that loud pieces tend to mask the weaknesses of the instrument (when there are any) because they usually distract the listener from the interpretation. As far as Pianoteq is concerned, I can also say that the biggest challenge is in long helded notes and slow tempo pieces, because that's where you can demonstrate the realism of the instrument, the brain having all the time to evaluate the difference with an acoustic piano.

That said, I think it's also important to show the instrument's capabilities with pieces including more chords, bass and treble notes.
We are therefore preparing new tests that we will publish soon.

I'd love to hear the Bechstein as well with this music. I know it's from 1899, but it's still a modern piano.

johnstaf wrote:

I'd love to hear the Bechstein as well with this music. I know it's from 1899, but it's still a modern piano.

don't tell Beto-Music that!    https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopi...11#p954611

Matthieu 7:6

johnstaf wrote:

It’s true that the Bechstein 1899 grand piano has a very modern sound, although there is a difference when you look more closely.

Here is a version of the test with the same configuration of microphones, in the same concert hall.

https://soundcloud.com/modelling-audio-...stein-1899

Groove On wrote:

Honestly, it's a good time to be alive and playing piano! Thank you Pianoteq and team!

Isn't it just!

I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order

peterws wrote:
Groove On wrote:

Isn't it just!

It sure is...loving Pianoteq!! And this forum.

Last edited by Kramster1 (04-07-2018 13:16)
Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

Come to think of it, if Bach were alive, he might just go for Pianoteq Pro.

@Fleer
”Come to think of it, if Bach were alive, he might just go for Pianoteq Pro.”

And of course, certainly, the clavichord (at about age 10 he moved in to his older brother Johann Christoph Bach, he taught him how to play clavichord).

Modelling Audio Prod wrote:
johnstaf wrote:

It’s true that the Bechstein 1899 grand piano has a very modern sound, although there is a difference when you look more closely.

Here is a version of the test with the same configuration of microphones, in the same concert hall.

https://soundcloud.com/modelling-audio-...stein-1899

Thank you so much for this! It's wonderful! I've been offline for the last while after an accident while cleaning my computer :-) What a wonderful treat!

That soft yet slightly percussive "ping" is still found in some modern Bechsteins, but it is much less obvious.

I bought a new and more powerful computer, but when I fix my old one I think I'll leave it permanently on top of my digital as my Pianoteq station. It's hard to imagine I didn't like Pianoteq until very recently. It's as if 6.2 tripped a switch in my brain.