Topic: Internal Sample rate

Please can you add Internal Sample rate of 96khz for stage version. I can't see why this option is not included.
I know many people are OK with 48khz but I can tell the difference.

Many Thanks

Last edited by theinvisibleman (29-04-2018 15:27)

Re: Internal Sample rate

Hmmm but they will tell you 'go for the pro version'

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

Won't happen for the Stage.

Also there's no real difference in the sound. Piano doesn't get much spectral info above 10k anyways, so calculating it at 48k vs 96k doesn't really generate any extra harmonics. You've been placeboed.

Last edited by EvilDragon (30-04-2018 07:24)
Hard work and guts!

All I know is I heard it playing at 192 kHz internal sample rate and it sounds better. I trust my ears. If there is no difference why restrict the stage version to 48 kHz?

Because it's a Pro feature and that's what Modartt has decided. It won't happen in Stage.

Last edited by EvilDragon (30-04-2018 08:20)
Hard work and guts!

@EvilDragon, you say there's no real difference in the sound so why is it a Pro Feature? Are you working for Modartt? How do you know if this feature cannot be introduced to the stage version? So far I have not heard a valid argument on why this feature should be only available on the Pro version.

I can see why consumers should pay for extra options and different sound packs but the basic sound quality of an instrument should be the same on all versions. If the argument is that the sound quality is already the same then why is the internal sample rate restricted?

I'm not trying to be pedantic, I just would like a clear explanation. I do love playing pianoteq.

Last edited by theinvisibleman (30-04-2018 10:09)

They will not do it, the feature comparison chart is definitive. It's been this way ever since Pianoteq 4.

https://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq6

There's only difference in CPU usage when using 192k internal computation. It is there to avoid resampling to host sample rate, I would assume. Even the manual says "All versions offer the same sound, instruments and playability".

Hard work and guts!

@EvilDragon, thanks for your response but it doesn't answer my questions. Maybe someone else has insight?

Well to answer your question - there's no technical obstruction to implementing that feature in Stage. But it was Modartt's decision not to do it for Stage and Standard versions ever since these three versions of Pianoteq were introduced in Pianoteq 4. BTW I have beta tested all these versions all the way back to Pianoteq 3, so I have insight.

That said, I am not sure how you even heard the difference, when this option for setting internal sample rate above 48k is not included in the Pianoteq demo (because there's only Stage and Standard demos, there's no demo for Pro)?

Last edited by EvilDragon (30-04-2018 10:35)
Hard work and guts!

Just one thing: even if the internal sample rate is 48 KHz, playing thru an audio interface @ 96 KHz or above could indeed make a difference, but it's not Pianoteq, it's the DA conversion...

I use an audio spectrum analyzer program called Smaart6  (yes, it has two a's)  There is nothing to reproduce above about 15kHz … there is almost a brick wall there.

Lanny

Last edited by LTECpiano (30-04-2018 13:21)

I can't really talk about the tech behind it, you would have to include resolution in time and filters and all the complex log stuff which I am not an expert in. I can only go by how it sounds to me.

...which is easily written off as cognitive bias.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Sorry you feel like that. I disagree with your bias opinion.

Maybe this could convince you:

https://sites.google.com/site/ptqspecprof/temp/Capture%20d%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran%202018-04-30%20a%CC%80%2010.29.27.png

A zoomed to the sample level portion of the blues demo at 192 kHz, 96 kHz and 48 kHz. The exact same waveform (left, right). Notice that there is visible repeated copies of the same value at 192 kHz and 96 kHz...

Last edited by Gilles (30-04-2018 15:48)

theinvisibleman wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

Sorry you feel like that. I disagree with your bias opinion.

It's not biased opinion. It's science. See Gilles' image above. Your brain makes you believe in things, and ears are the easiest sense that can be fooled.

Last edited by EvilDragon (30-04-2018 16:20)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Your brain makes you believe in things, and ears are the easiest sense that can be fooled.

... as in the McGurk Effect. Weird but true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0

btw, a while ago I too was convinced that I 'needed' a higher sample rate than 48k, but it became clear to me that the quality of the DA conversion was the crucial factor. If it seems to work better running your audio interface at 96k (I think that's possible even in Stage) and your computer can handle it, then nobody's going to stop you...

Last edited by dazric (30-04-2018 17:20)

From time to time there are discounts... I would wait and upgrade if the difference is worth the money

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

For my orangepi pc I reduced the internal sample rate to 22kHz. Well, it still sounds excellent. I don't hear much difference compared to my desktop with 48kHz.

theinvisibleman wrote:

Please can you add Internal Sample rate of 96khz for stage version. I can't see why this option is not included.
I know many people are OK with 48khz but I can tell the difference.

Many Thanks

Even if the PianoTeq output were identical as noted above, you might hear differences based on your dac/output stages.

Not saying your equipment is defective, these are simply equipment design decisions. If you tried a different DAC, you might not notice a difference but who knows. . .

I think some people are more sensitive to these differences also. . .

theinvisibleman wrote:

I can only go by how it sounds to me.

These claims come up frequently.  The only way to really prove you are hearing what you think you are hearing is with a double-blind ABX test.

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?ti....9/foo_abx

I'm sure someone (who owns Pro) could create a high-sample-rate and 48k-sample-rate version of some MIDI file.  If you want help, please ask, that's what the forum is here for.

This is not to be dismissive.  My own experience is that I believed I heard all sorts of things until I subjected myself to this sort of test.  The results were humbling, but very instructive (and better for my wallet).

Let me rephrase this, why is 192khz internal sample rate restricted to the pro version? If it makes no difference to sound quality then why can I not have this function on the stage version? It's a simple question.

Might wanna ask that question Modartt themselves via their support system.

Hard work and guts!

I did email them before I bought the program as I cannot afford the pro version. I did not get an answer rather a statement, 192khz internal sample rate is a pro feature. I'm not going to defend my hearing, I just like to understand why 192khz internal sample rate is for the pro version.

I really like how the program plays and its tuning of pitch is excellent.

Anyway thanks for trying to help guys. I leave it now.

Last edited by theinvisibleman (02-05-2018 10:15)

theinvisibleman wrote:

I did email them before I bought the program as I cannot afford the pro version. I did not get an answer rather a statement, 192khz internal sample rate is a pro feature. I'm not going to defend my hearing, I just like to understand why 192khz internal sample rate is for the pro version.

I really like how the program plays and its tuning of pitch is excellent.

Anyway thanks for trying to help guys. I leave it now.

I do not want to sound unfriendly, but in the privative software world, the software creator decides what to put in each version. For instance, if you use Windows, the Home version will lack some encryption and network features which Pro has. 
There is a base version for a price, and if you want more features, they cost money, but you have the freedom to decide if you want to pay for them or not. By the way I have the Pro version and I believe that buying it was a act of excess of enthusiasm, since I only start the program and play on the home presets (Only used pro features during a month or something like that). About 192KHz as many said here, the sound difference is unnoticeable, but CPU load is quite bigger.

Kawai CL35 & MP11

You're not being unfriendly :-) I won't get into a discussion about hearing and the ability of the human inner ear. Absolutely  people should pay for extra features. I keep hearing that there is no advantage in having the option of an higher internal sample rate yet this is a pro feature, I'm just asking why? I don't think it is an unfair question.

theinvisibleman wrote:

You're not being unfriendly :-) I won't get into a discussion about hearing and the ability of the human inner ear. Absolutely  people should pay for extra features. I keep hearing that there is no advantage in having the option of an higher internal sample rate yet this is a pro feature, I'm just asking why? I don't think it is an unfair question.

Probably because professional sound engineers want to use the highest possible sample rate as a margin of safety when doing a lot of numerical post-processing that could impact the final result (before downsampling to 44.1 or 48 kHz for release) I think 96 kHz is normal for post-processing, probably 192 kHz is overkill but may be a demand from professionals. There are even higher sample rates available, but then if you want to take into account the processing involved if used internally, it could be too much for currently available computers.

Pianoteq is also linked to the limits of the audio system in your computer. For example I use Pianoteq Pro on a Mac Pro that has a 192 kHz capable DAC, but OSX's Core Audio is limited to 96 kHz, so I don't see 192 kHz offered in the Device panel...

Last edited by Gilles (02-05-2018 17:47)

Here's some interesting reading: https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Hard work and guts!

theinvisibleman wrote:

So to be clear, I agree that it is a fair question.  However, I believe the answer you got, "the designers decided they would have a base version, and then a higher-priced version that had extra features they thought the marketplace would pay for, and chose higher internal sample rate as one of those up-sell features", is probably the best answer you are going to get.  I get that this is unsatisfying for you; you want to know why they made this decision.  I think this was likely a marketing decision.  The sellers thought, "Higher internal sampling is something some people would want," evidently true due to your original post.  They also thought "Some of those that want it will be willing to pay for it."  Even if you aren't willing to pay, others might.

Then the thread somewhat devolved into a separate, but related question, "Why do you want it?  You should not be able to hear the difference."  You have decided not to go there, which is totally your right. 

I don't think you will get a better answer to your first question.  If you want to address the 2nd, let us know and we can try to help on that.

@Klaberte, I agree with you.  I do not want to try half assed to explain the technical aspects of time resolution, pitch/loudness etc. I am not an expert in that field. I spend insane amounts of time playing instruments. Thanks again.

Last edited by theinvisibleman (03-05-2018 18:02)

Supposedly, the highest frequency a piano can produce is 15kHz. On the other hand, supposedly people of middle ages can't hear anything above 15kHz. For the sound card to produce 15kHz, the sample rate must at least be 30kHz, because you need one point for the peak and one point for the trough in order to construct the 15kHz waveform. 30kHz is FINE provided the sound of 15kHz is always in phase with the sample rate, meaning that the peaks and troughs of the waveform occurs right at the middle of every sample. However, if the peaks and troughs occur right at the points in between the samples, the result is NO SOUND, because every sample will register 0 level. In actual music, the phase of the 15kHz will be random, so consequently the loudness of the 15kHz output will be softer than what it should be and and varied according to the phase it happen to be at. On top of that, the phase of the output is shifted to be in line with the middle of the samples. In a nutshell, a 30kHz sample rate can't reproduce 15kHz at the correct loudness. The average loudness is only 50% of what it should be.

Furthermore, in actual music, you don't just reproduce 15kHz. Any frequency which is not a factor of 30kHz will produce beats, on top of the phase shifts. You will hear serious degradation of the high frequencies.

To reproduce 15kHz, with 30kHz sample rate, you are using only two dots to represent a waveform. with 60kHz, you are using only four dots to represent a waveform. With 120kHz, you are using only 8 dots, not bad, but not great. 240kHz, you are using only 16 dots, so that's pretty fine. You need high sample rates, say 192kHz, not because a human ear can hear 96kHz, but because we need to hear frequencies like 15kHz at the correct loudness, without phase distortion, and other artifacts.

So, with 192kHz, to me, it's the bare minimum to be considered HiFi. OF COURSE I can hear the difference, because i also own a real piano. Please, the difference is huge. I also tune the piano by ear. With 48kHz sample rate, I can barely hear the beat frequencies when i press F3 and A3, pretending that i'm trying to set the first octave (if you're an aural tuner you'll know what i mean). With 48kHz sample rate, i can't tune the piano at all. So, Modart, please include 192kHz sample rate for Pianoteq Stage. Thank you. Otherwise, please don't claim to be the Fourth Generation Piano Instrument if you can't even provide the bare minimum fidelity a piano player requires. Your Stage version is supposed to be adequate for one who only plays, no? I suggest providing 192kHz across the board so at least it's playable, because the Stage version is marketed to be meant for players. Reserve the higher price for Pro with all the tweakings for music producers. thank you again.

yeyonghe, your post clearly shows that you do not understand how digital-to-analog converters work.  You have neglected the function of the reconstruction filter (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-t..._converter).

I am comfortable with the way things stand. If Pianoteq changed their mind - I'd be fine with that - but I see why it is the way it is. I thought this thread was kind of nailed shut.

Since it's back I feel it's worth some words from my perspective.

@yeyonghe - this is how I evaluate this topic:

192kHz is a false 'mirage' for entry level purposes, in my view.

For 'normal' or 'entry level' listening, it's completely unnecessary - all too many things which make it a spurious choice and a nonsense (fool's gold) to want without professional reason.

Mostly, for playing I use 48kHz (native to the hardware) and it's better than CD, runs fast, no glitches - can't be happier, and I'm practically never using 192kHz, except for rare, professional type reasons (not always but sometimes).

To put it in "Stage" version, would likely just cause glitches when people try to use it. Then there would be 'support issues' like "Help me, I can't get sound - why is 192kHz there, if I can't use it and it crashes my sound driver - how silly".

In life, there are often no true 'best' decisions - but this one by Pianoteq is good as far as I'm concerned - but the topic is certainly on a cusp of bizarre where it collides with reality, so therefore rife with variant ideas.

If you're professional enough to need 192kHz for tuning (assuming your audio gear works technically to spec) then, IMO that's a professional level need, NOT an entry level bonus. Stage is fine for live performing - more important to have adequate FOH etc.. again, professional needs dictate in this area also. For example, if touring with a national ballet company, you might consider Pro.

@yeyonghe, I understand having wonderful hearing is a great thing but entry level tier is not appropriate for that, given 192kHz is almost 100% confined to studio use (destructive editing - depending on choice of dither etc.. complications arise again only for professional grade reasons). You don't 'need' that - unless you're doing something more "Pro". I doubt your audio system would handle it, unless you paid for quite a professional system Aha! I think a pattern emerges, no? It's not meant to be better for most people, it's meant for studio equipment primarily. If you're lucky enough to have great equipment at home, then you should still get Pro because, this further equips you for professional work.

You need to pay for such things, if the software company includes it for those purposes.

Most purchasers of Stage won't have DAC etc. to hear it anyway - and it's not inevitable that most will A/B it successfully anyway (or even have entry level speakers for playback). But, it IS good to have in a studio/multi-track situation and other professional settings. That really should be enough said (including all the good advice above).

There's no conspiracy of "Pro" audio users trying to keep 192kHz out of the hands of Stage users - it's just "IF you need 192kHz, you're probably well within Pro territory". Sorry if some of this is repetitive - I'm typing without editing too much - trying to post it as time runs away..

Today, for a personal project I tweaked then selectively bounced some 50 tracks down for a final mix, then master - for that, I'm glad of higher res. but even so, I didn't use 192kHz. It's a choice, not a requirement - and for that song, a nice analog component to it meant that I preferred to work closer to CD spec - just a little dither meant a wonderful result. Also, working lower means some chains load/run quicker, less worry about CPU and chunks of huge files in the pool.. so 'better' is always dependent upon personal choices relating to a project. If you're balancing stuff like that, then you probably should sleep better at night after purchasing Pro IMO.

Let's say I put multiple tracks of Pianoteq at 192, each with their own chain of plugins. I could make a mix (basic) and export it at whatever res. I want. But, more likely, if many instances of VST and chains upon chains of them are involved, I'm going to want to freeze or bounce these tracks to audio tracks rather than 'instrument' tracks with all the extra overhead (I prefer to bounce, and remove instruments in my own workflow, make decisions and stick it etc.). So 192 might be good for that.

I just can't see any good reason for it other than such as the above.

If you have 'professional level' use for the software, buying the professional version is the expected, or correct path, no matter what software or task it fulfils - and I recommend Pro (Studio actually, with all instruments, is where the best value is, as long as you intend to collect all instruments of course).

Surely if your ears are so attuned to the very smallest details, you would prefer Pro in any case?

Lastly, I think of the 3 tiers like this:

Stage - play at home - play live - playback MIDI files
Standard - as above with extras.
Pro - everything the software can do.
Studio - as above plus all instruments too.

Great selection for all uses - that's with a long time buying and using software of all kinds since late 80s or so. Pianoteq is still on top of my list of that enormous pile of software, seriously.

It's a reasonable choice - and 192kHz isn't needed (unless you're bouncing dozens of tracks down and so on - not to get into dither choices etc.. too too much you don't need in entry-level software).

Most sincerely.

[edit: grammar]

Last edited by Qexl (17-04-2019 20:59)
Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

I'm sorry but i think you all don't know what you're missing. Just do this, play the interval F3 and A3 (some call it F33 and A37) on a real piano. You should hear a harmonic frequency slightly less than 880Hz beating at roughly 7 beats per second. What you will hear is a very distinct "wow wow wow wow wow wow wow", the frequency slightly less than 880Hz turning on and off at roughly 7 Hz (seven times a second). This is how a real instrument should sound. 880Hz is not even close to the 15kHz that middle age people can barely hear.

Then, do it on a Pianoteq Stage at internal sample rate of 48kHz. You just can't hear it.

To those who are thinking of buying Pianoteq Stage for stage performance and thinking it's a substitute for Mic & Real Piano, please download the Trial Version of Pianoteq Stage and do the test described above and see if you're okay with the missing "wow wow wow" sound of the F3 and A3 interval. If the player playing on the Stage can't hear the "wow wow wow" sound, and the audience below the Stage can't hear the "wow wow wow" sound, then don't call it "Pianoteq Stage". Call it Pianoteq Stage Not A Substitute For Mic & Real Piano.

Intervals other than F3 and A3 have their own distinct "wow wow wow" sound. You don't have to believe me, just do the test!

To hear the real sound of a piano, you really need 192kHz of internal sample rate, which sadly is not provided (yet) in the Stage version of Pianoteq.

Last edited by yeyonghe (18-04-2019 07:27)

If you play any note/chord on my piano, al sort of beatings will show up since it is out of tune...
I don't believe any audience can hear that subtleties of sound, and no virtual / digital instrument is near of producing any sound similar to the real thing, in the best of cases, they sound similar to a recording.

Kawai CL35 & MP11

marcos daniel wrote:

If you play any note/chord on my piano, al sort of beatings will show up since it is out of tune...
I don't believe any audience can hear that subtleties of sound, and no virtual / digital instrument is near of producing any sound similar to the real thing, in the best of cases, they sound similar to a recording.

No, I'm not referring to out of tune pianos. In fact, a low inharmonicity concert grand piano, perfectly tuned to Equal Temperament, must have beatings.

If you're an intermediate piano player who tries out different chord voicings on a real piano (you don't play block chords like a beginner), you are actually listening to the interactions of the high harmonics without you realizing, whether they are sweet or otherwise, and use it accordingly in your song to achieve the desired effect. Unless Modart enables 192kHz sample rate for Pianoteq Stage, Pianoteq Stage users would not be able to achieve an accurate chord voicing for its intended purpose (one that sounds the same when the performer plays the same chord voicing on a real piano).

The sample rate/cutoff frequency does not have any bearing on the production of low frequency beats from partials in the audio spectrum. If the 48KHz sample rate in Pianoteq was causing this harm to the piano sound, then the 44.1KHz sample rate of CDs would be doing worse things to the excellent piano recordings released on them.

This can be easily illustrated by the fact that in a YouTube video demonstrating the effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPvj-Ux7f-g

the beats are clearly audible despite the sample rate. To analyze, I recorded it into a 44.1KHz file, and the frequency analysis confirms there is a very steep roll-off above 17KHz and no data above 20KHz, in the domain that 96KHz or 192KHz sample rates cover.

That's what you would expect of course, as, for example, a piano tuner can help someone who is having trouble with contiguous thirds by listening and mentoring the process over a webcam or the like, no 192KHz sampling there.

I'm between computers at the moment, so I don't have PT running to listen to, but if there is no subharmonic audible in the output, then I'd suspect it's not modeled in. Remember that in physical modelling, nothing appears in the output except what the algorithms generate.

And as far as using 48KHz sample rate for PT Stage goes, for live performance you want lowest latency, lowest CPU utilization and highest voice count. You don't want a fat buffer full of 192KHz samples most of which will be doing nothing...

Platypus wrote:

The sample rate/cutoff frequency does not have any bearing on the production of low frequency beats from partials in the audio spectrum. If the 48KHz sample rate in Pianoteq was causing this harm to the piano sound, then the 44.1KHz sample rate of CDs would be doing worse things to the excellent piano recordings released on them.

This can be easily illustrated by the fact that in a YouTube video demonstrating the effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPvj-Ux7f-g

the beats are clearly audible despite the sample rate. To analyze, I recorded it into a 44.1KHz file, and the frequency analysis confirms there is a very steep roll-off above 17KHz and no data above 20KHz, in the domain that 96KHz or 192KHz sample rates cover.

That's what you would expect of course, as, for example, a piano tuner can help someone who is having trouble with contiguous thirds by listening and mentoring the process over a webcam or the like, no 192KHz sampling there.

I'm between computers at the moment, so I don't have PT running to listen to, but if there is no subharmonic audible in the output, then I'd suspect it's not modeled in. Remember that in physical modelling, nothing appears in the output except what the algorithms generate.

And as far as using 48KHz sample rate for PT Stage goes, for live performance you want lowest latency, lowest CPU utilization and highest voice count. You don't want a fat buffer full of 192KHz samples most of which will be doing nothing...

The sounds in the youtube video that you showed are artificially generated frequencies, of course you can hear them, they are isolated, phase stable, and volume normalised so you can hear it.BTW, those are not even the correct frequencies beating at the correct beats. BTW, if i were you I would provide better examples from Mark Cerisano's Youtube channel. I read Mark's books and watch his Youtube tutorials.

Of course a piano tuner can help someone who is having trouble over Youtube and Skype. If you watch Mark's videos, sometimes he uses a high pass filter to help his students. It is so difficult, if you have really gone through it yourself. You really have to crank the volume up just to hear muddy beats.

Please, do the test I've mentioned earlier. Play F3 and A3 on a real piano, compare it to Pianoteq Stage at 48kHz. Listen for 880Hz, beating at 7 beats per minute, compare in terms of volume, clarity, quality, whatever. Do the same for other contiguous thirds.

Of course 48kHz is better than CD quality at 44.1kHz. But that is CD. You should try out free 24bit 192kHz musics on the internet. But pianoteq claims itself to be the "Fourth Generation Piano Instrument". The keyword here is "instrument" as opposed to "recordings" you hear on a normal CD. At 48kHz, Pianoteq Stage is not an "instrument" which you use to create and perform. It is just something better than a toy piano that can create sounds slightly better than CD quality. CD quality is way lower than the sound of a true "instrument". Unless Modart finally decides to enable 192kHz for Pianoteq Stage and not just for the Pro version, they cannot call it an "instrument" in the title of their website.

Last edited by yeyonghe (18-04-2019 18:07)

yeyonghe wrote:

I'm sorry but i think you all don't know what you're missing. Just do this, play the interval F3 and A3 (some call it F33 and A37) on a real piano. You should hear a harmonic frequency slightly less than 880Hz beating at roughly 7 beats per second. What you will hear is a very distinct "wow wow wow wow wow wow wow", the frequency slightly less than 880Hz turning on and off at roughly 7 Hz (seven times a second). This is how a real instrument should sound. 880Hz is not even close to the 15kHz that middle age people can barely hear.

Then, do it on a Pianoteq Stage at internal sample rate of 48kHz. You just can't hear it.

To those who are thinking of buying Pianoteq Stage for stage performance and thinking it's a substitute for Mic & Real Piano, please download the Trial Version of Pianoteq Stage and do the test described above and see if you're okay with the missing "wow wow wow" sound of the F3 and A3 interval. If the player playing on the Stage can't hear the "wow wow wow" sound, and the audience below the Stage can't hear the "wow wow wow" sound, then don't call it "Pianoteq Stage". Call it Pianoteq Stage Not A Substitute For Mic & Real Piano.

Intervals other than F3 and A3 have their own distinct "wow wow wow" sound. You don't have to believe me, just do the test!

To hear the real sound of a piano, you really need 192kHz of internal sample rate, which sadly is not provided (yet) in the Stage version of Pianoteq.

Wow, I just tested that, have the Pro version, switched from 44,1 kHz to 192 kHz and back a number of times,
tested some thirds and other chords, there really is a huge difference in this resonating effects during decay of the sound.
Much, much more at 192 kHz, barely audible at 44.1 kHz.

I think, from now on, I only play at 192 kHz, (but have still to test, if my system has enough cpu power for it on the long run)

Arkanda wrote:
yeyonghe wrote:

Wow, I just tested that, have the Pro version, switched from 44,1 kHz to 192 kHz and back a number of times,
tested some thirds and other chords, there really is a huge difference in this resonating effects during decay of the sound.
Much, much more at 192 kHz, barely audible at 44.1 kHz.

I think, from now on, I only play at 192 kHz, (but have still to test, if my system has enough cpu power for it on the long run)

As was said in Post #3, "You've been placeboed".  Try this in an ABX test and we will see.

As Platypus effectively demonstrated, if it isn't in the hearing frequency range, you won't hear it. Oversampling won't make it re-appear.   All those wow wow wow beats occur in the audio frequency, which are easily contained in 48 kHz sampling.  That's not an opinion.  That is basic acoustic engineering.

If you think you are hearing things that violate those basic engineering principals, you should prove it in an ABX test.  If you don't, then your claims are not very convincing.

I agree to some extent with @yeyonghe in the fact that let's suppose a note had an harmonic of 60 kHz and another one of 62 kHz we would hear a 2 KHz beating, but anyway in Pianoteq I see very difficult this to happen since harmonics above around 22 kHz are cut off. For instance C7 has only 4 frequencies, the fundamental and three overtones.

By the other side, in a recording that 2 kHz beating would not be filtered since it is below the band limit of 22 kHz or 24 kHz

I own Pianoteq Pro and I'm seeing that for A3 the highest overtone is the 36th at 22078 Hz for Steinway D prelude, for F3 we get 45th at 22392 Hz, this does not change even if you set another sample rate (tested at 11025 Hz and 192 kHz).
The Nyquist limit for 44.1 / 48 kHz are 22.05 / 24 kHz, so not improvement should be perceived by changing the sample rate. I can't perform the F3-A3 test here because I'm not at home and I only have my laptop at hand.

If you don't believe Nyquist, please take an oscilloscope, create a 21 kHz sine in audacity with a sample rate of 44.1 kHz, you will see on screen an horrible collection of points, nothing similar to a sine, and play back that sound to a channel of the oscilloscope, it is like magic when a perfect sine shows up!

Kawai CL35 & MP11

PianoTeq's internal modeling may be more refined with the Pro version (192kHz and/or proprietary factors). Since the model is a black box we really can't know and can only speculate.

I have only heard a few notes directly comparing PianoTeq internal sample rates of 48kHz vs. 192kHz (which were posted to this forum a year ago). The samples sounded slightly different to my ears but that could just be listener error, some randomisation within PianoTeq that is hidden from the UI, or something else.

OUTPUT is a different question and 48kHz to any competent modern DAC should be fine for live playing.

Regardless, IMHO Nyquist may just be a red herring for INTERNAL modeling discussion.

Pianoteq's internal modelling at 192kHz will sound fantastic on a system which is capable of natively processing and reproducing that.

Still, the problem is, hearing whatever awesome 192kHz engine processed out through a 48kHz system, we're subject to whatever that DAC will do to re-jig the signal. Some better than others.

I would say my past experimentation with using 192kHz when my system is only capable of 48kHz, is long over. For me, it's:

48kHz<-->48kHz or < 192kHz<-->192kHz etc.

How to explain it better, I really don't know - I could write a wall.. but say basically the same thing in different ways.

yeyonghe said that using 192kHz, you can clearly hear beating better.. then later says:

yeyonghe wrote:

The sounds in the youtube video that you showed are artificially generated frequencies, of course you can hear them, they are isolated, phase stable, and volume normalised so you can hear it

I will recommend to yeyonghe and others to consider reflecting upon that. It answers a lot - and shows the circular reasoning at fault quite clearly IMO.

If playback was also matched at 192kHz capable equipment, I think you'd certainly hear a lot more clearly - but I think the clue that some are tripping over here, is that just because something might sound better with 192kHz on a 48kHz system, you're probably hearing some heightened elements but at the expense of other elements.

So, the internal Pianoteq setting, Perf tab, you can see that you can only set 192kHz if you also set 192kHz sample rate in the Devices tab.

Once you do that, you see on the Perf tab that it says: Host sample rate is now 192kHz.

But, that's a lie - actually, if your hardware can only process natively 48kHz.

In effect, you're saying "System, do as I command, play this back like this" - and the system says "OK, you're the boss".. then it opens that DAC can of worms. You are no longer hearing Pianoteq, as much as you're hearing the DAC engineers' hand in the whole thing - compression, refactoring, etc.. all on the fly.

Running incorrect settings like that can also horribly interfere with MIDI playback which is a kill switch for me - it's just not adequately "good" for most consumers who will blame Pianoteq.. "Aww, I thought Pianoteq was real piano - and it can't even play back MIDI" (nothing could be further from the truth).

So, the only logical thing to do, is supply the entry level product with consumer ranges of encoding - otherwise, you ask for more forum posts saying "What's wrong with this picture".

Anyway, that's really just the tip of a larger iceberg - interesting topic always - but it is all too easy to hear the DAC roundtrip as 'nice' on the face of it, only to crash on the rocks once you've spent some maybe weeks or months doing plenty A/B tests.

For me, the most horrible MIDI problem generated by running 192kHz on a 48kHz system, is notes cut off short, abruptly. It's like someone is fully damping some strings with their hands randomly (as if polyphony is affected).. somehow, a mis-translation is occurring which makes it impossible to recommend.

I just think with all that can go wrong, and all I find wrong after time, it's just best for most to stick with matched numbers - there be too many dragons!

[edit to add:]

Oh, worth a thought..

in terms of why 192kHz would be mainly for professional use.. like others say above it's partly for less destructive editing in music production.

To add something not often mentioned in these kinds of topics, consider this:

When you mix down from a higher resolution to a lower one for consumer release for instance, you can do it with no "dither" (giving an effect like say, having no anti-aliasing - but audio of course).. so the effect might suit electronica or very clean sounding snappy audio.. but, you might not want 'super clean' but instead something more 'analog' - but not as noisy. You might choose a dither routine which shifts 'noise' from where human hearing occurs, up to where no human can hear. Or another type of dither which variants of this - and each would suit different music for different reasons.

So, a 192kHz resolution 'allows for' those mixdown techniques without damaging the file (like you might remember from low grade MP3 type glitchy sounds). The resolution is not about "Hearing" more - it's more about being able to do multiple editing routines without harming the human hearing zone per se.

Hope some of that helps - and glad to be found wrong about anything.

Last edited by Qexl (20-04-2019 02:36)
Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Yeyonghe, very interesting.  I have been away on a trip with limited internet the past week, and am now doing "catch-up" Pianoteq forum reading.

I tried your thirds experiment of F3-A3 on my acoustic, and heard the beats at approximately A5.  Then I tried it in Pianoteq with the C. Bechstein running, via my acoustic's keyboard (Stop-Bar levered in-place on my acoustic).  I still heard them, though just a wee bit.  Then I depressed the sustain pedal which, in my case, lifts the dampers off the strings as well as engaging the Pianoteq Sustain.  The beating got noticeably louder, but not as loud as with the all-acoustic piano.  Then I tried the same by only depressing the sustain in Pianoteq with the cursor on the screen - I still heard the harmonic beating, though not quite as loud as with the combined physical and electronic sustain.

During the PIanoteq part of the experiment, whether I am hearing harmonics on my real strings as generated by Pianoteq playing through the speakers flanking my piano, or Pianoteq's synthesizing model generating the beats with its virtual strings, I cannot say.   I tried repeating the experiment at 48KHz and 192KHz with the same steps (my slightly overloaded Surface runs best at 44KHz), and I really couldn't hear that much difference in volume of the beats - my piano in "all-acoustic mode" is still much more notable at producing them.  Since each example of a synthesis engine running at 44 KHz, 48 KHz, and 192 KHz should all be capable of producing 880 Hz beating harmonics, is this characteristic of the Pianoteq beats not matching the acoustic's beats related to the nature of the synthetic engine itself rather than the frequency that it runs upon?  Philippe?

- David