Topic: The sometimes-overlooked Pleyel

I just checked out an old favourite of mine from the early Pianoteq days - The 1926 Pleyel.

I had the great fortune to play the actual piano this was modelled on, when my wife & I were in Paris in 2015, and were invited to visit the piano workshop of Nebout & Hamm. A fantastic experience.

Anyway, I've uploaded a little excerpt of a piece (with violin, cello & Basses) written by Paul De Senneville which suits this piano well I feel:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...trings.mp3

Re: The sometimes-overlooked Pleyel

Not sure if overlooked it's the right world. Some versions ago Pleyel and Eread were considered the best pianoteq model in terms of sound naturality among pianoteq members.

But I do agree that today people look too much to the brands/manufacturers, and forgot a bit the good old piano models from times ago.

Nice recording you did.

Last edited by Beto-Music (14-09-2017 18:10)

Nice sound. Thanks for creating and posting that recording. Can't help but notice the reverb. Did you use a wave file in Pianoteq, or is that another reverb altogether?

Nice!
I had gotten away from the 1926 Pleyel.  But after 6 came out I tried it again and I love it for certain pieces!  6 is a marked improvement across the board.

Bill

Jake Johnson wrote:

Nice sound. Thanks for creating and posting that recording. Can't help but notice the reverb. Did you use a wave file in Pianoteq, or is that another reverb altogether?

Thanks Jake. The upright bass is a little jarring for this piece, but I just wanted to upload a quick demo of the Pleyel in a mix. The Pleyel is a modified 'Pleyel Recording' preset, with the built in reverb off and Valhalla Room reverb on the master out. I prefer the greater control of an external reverb, and Valhalla Room is very flexible and sounds great with Pianoteq pianos.

Pianoguy wrote:
Jake Johnson wrote:

Thanks Jake. The upright bass is a little jarring for this piece, but I just wanted to upload a quick demo of the Pleyel in a mix. The Pleyel is a modified 'Pleyel Recording' preset, with the built in reverb off and Valhalla Room reverb on the master out. I prefer the greater control of an external reverb, and Valhalla Room is very flexible and sounds great with Pianoteq pianos.

Ah ha! So I did hear the sound of a different reverb. The Vahalla reverb seems to fit well with Pianoteq.

Seems to have some interesting features, according to their site. You can set different delay times to different frequencies? I can imagine using that for strange effects, but is it also used for realistic emulations? (Do different freqs have different delays in real spaces? I thought that the frequency of a pitch had no effect on the travel time.)

In any case, I hope you will post some more examples of the sounds you can create with this reverb combined with Pianoteq.

Jake Johnson wrote:
Pianoguy wrote:
Jake Johnson wrote:

Ah ha! So I did hear the sound of a different reverb. The Vahalla reverb seems to fit well with Pianoteq.

Seems to have some interesting features, according to their site. You can set different delay times to different frequencies? I can imagine using that for strange effects, but is it also used for realistic emulations? (Do different freqs have different delays in real spaces? I thought that the frequency of a pitch had no effect on the travel time.)

In any case, I hope you will post some more examples of the sounds you can create with this reverb combined with Pianoteq.

Well picked Jake. I initially struggled using Valhalla Room for realistic piano suitable reverbs, but after putting in the time experimenting I find myself reaching for it more and more. Not sure about the technical side of it, but the control is fantastic and I'm learning the effects of each parameter to the point I can shape the reverb to what I'm chasing. It does seem very well suited to Pianoteq - in fact more so in my experience than using convolution reverbs (which for some reason I get better results on sampled pianos). Valhalla Room is an algorithmic (mathematical) reverb, so I guess a 'sonic cousin' to the way Pianoteq creates sound, which may explain their compatibility. I've run the same track I did with the Pleyel and swapped it out for the Bluthner Recording BA preset (again, turning off internal reverb and using Valhalla Room). The woody hammer attack on the Bluthner now is great, and it has a very clear tone ideal for working in a mix. I'm really enjoying re-discovering all the Pianoteq piano models in version 6 – they are really special.

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...trings.mp3