Topic: Difference between Pianoteq 6 stage vs. standard/pro

I have a quick question. Other than changing the velocity curve, I do not tinker with any other settings in Pianoteq - I just like to play the default presets (I am trying to spend more time on learning Piano than optimizing sound).

Given that, is there any advantage of buying standard/pro vs. stage?

Thanks,
Osho

Re: Difference between Pianoteq 6 stage vs. standard/pro

If you are happy with the presets in PIanoteq Stage then you do not need Standard or Pro.

You still have quite a bit you can adjust in Stage anyway.

Having gone the upgrade route myself (started with Stage and went to Standard later) I can say that the presets in Stage are exactly the same in Standard.  You're loosing nothing in that regard by getting Stage.

You can upgrade at anytime to Standard or Pro without it costing more (and if, like me, you did that when Modartt has a special sale on you might even be lucky and save money ! - Thanks Modartt ).

With stage you cannot use FXPs properly, so you are effectively limited to just the presets your instrument comes with.

The biggest advantage with Standard is, IMO, the ability to move microphones around (you'd be amazed how big an impact this has), but the presets are quite well designed so  this probably isn't an issue for you.

Pro for many people is overkill.  It allows very detailed note-by-note adjustment and it's really for people who have a highly developed ear and a demand for very, very precise sound - it's not called "Pro" for nothing.

If your main goal is learning piano then adjustments are, honestly, a distraction at this point.  In version six the pianos all sounds great and you won't be missing anything.  Also remember to at least try the free historic instruments in the user area (the KiViR and Bells pack).  These, in my experience, should be regarded as a huge bonus and you may find, as I did, that the historic pianos change your view of playing old classical pieces with a piano that is more representative of the one's available to the composer when they were alive.  So there's a lot to explore with Stage.

So "Stage" would be fine and stick with it until you find it's a problem.

StephenG

If your intent is selecting from a list of default presets, then Pianoteq 6 Stage is fine for you.  The Stage version completely capable of providing you with many years worth of music making!

Since you stated you don't tinker with the sound other than adjusting velocity sensitivity, the Stage version should be all you need.  If you will indulge me in telling you what I do with the PRO version, I would be more than happy to share my own experiences with you:

I like to "work" on aging the middle four octaves of the piano keyboard on a note-by-note basis within Pianoteq 6 PRO.  The middle four (or so) octaves get the most wear over time on any real acoustic piano, simply because that's where most of the notes are played within any given composition.  As such, I enjoy slightly raising the slider values of each Hammer Hardness setting within this range to simulate how the felt hammers become compacted over time and make the instrument sound slightly brighter in this region of the keyboard; next, I slightly randomize these changes because that's how real pianos become worn.

Next, within this same approximate four octave range, I often "slightly" flatten the tuning (by just a few cents, or hundredths of a semitone, maximum) and slightly detune the unisonly tuned strings, again to simulate extra usage during the middle third of a piano's keyboard between tunings.  Ditto for a slight increase in action noise.

Of course, the "Condition Slider" serves to accomplish the same task of taking a piano's condition away from a pristine new piano, but I enjoy doing these extra little touches instead of relying on what is essentially a randomization event when one moves the Condition slider slightly to the right.  (I usually move the Condition Slider to a value of about 0.2-0.25 in addition to my own little tweaks.)

The result is a sound and feel that can be only described as more "organic" (not referring in any way to an acoustic pipe organ).  The combined effects of these slight adjustments are not blatantly audible, but there is a feeling that I am playing something that approaches that of a real acoustic instrument instead of a mathematically perfect simulation.

These are only suggestions of how I happen to use Pianoteq 6 PRO.  If these details do not interest you, or if they frighten you, then please feel free to ignore this post, and enjoy the Stage version.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (14-09-2017 07:29)

You can also take a look at the daverich's review :
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=5207

Thank you all for the detailed inputs! I think I will keep enjoying Stage for quite some time!

regards,
Osho