Topic: Do never buy a chinese MIDI USB cable !!!

I did a stupidity.  I bought a cheap chinese MIDI USB cable. 
Here what this "wonder" bring me:

-I play E and f alternated & fast, int it sustein these notes.
-I play a simple C E G chord and when I release the chord it creates a repetition of the chord.
-I press sustein pedal and it plays the E in the middle of piano keayboard.

And to finish:

-It adds about 15 or 20ms to latency.

That's what I get for try save some Money.

Re: Do never buy a chinese MIDI USB cable !!!

It's a lesson learned well.  At least, the cost wasn't astronomical, and you found a cause-and-effect relatinship between the inferior cable and mis-tracking.

Cheers,

Joe

Actually I have had bad experiences with both cheap and expensive MIDI cables.

Is that posible to be a installation error, a bad driver used in this midi SUB cable?

How do I uninstal the cable driver ?

Last edited by Beto-Music (17-06-2017 13:51)

There's no driver for those cables, they are class-compliant. Drivers are in the OS.

Just get a regular MIDI cable.

Hard work and guts!

I'm guessing that you meant a MIDI-to-USB adapter, to connect from a MIDI port on the keyboard to a USB port on the computer.

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Yes, and they use a driver, and I found some people solve problems changing the driver. But is fact that chinese MIDI-USB adapter ar much more prone to such problems, so I conclude they have porr drivers or also poor circuits.

My cable is recognized but works in a complete mess, pedal play note middle E. Chords are repeated when I release the key, frast repetitions get sustein without pedal use, and there is much more delay in note response than what I got playing test with computer keyboard or mouse. The latency number indicatore on pianoteq adjusts is the same, but it's clear the cable delays aditionally when played by piano connected on it.;

I can't find this driver to uninstal and try another.

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

I'm guessing that you meant a MIDI-to-USB adapter, to connect from a MIDI port on the keyboard to a USB port on the computer.

Last edited by Beto-Music (17-06-2017 15:39)

There are no other drivers for class-compliant devices. OS takes care of them. Throw it in the bin and call it a loss.

Several years ago I got one of those Chinese MIDI-USB cables, and it worked perfectly - even with a bit dense sysex streams. But newer ones aren't as good, and they can be told apart by the design. This is the one I bought years ago and was fine:

http://www.arvydas.co.uk/wp-content/upl...-Cable.jpg

And this is how newer ones look:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1jHiMNXXX...Mac-OS.jpg

Notice the different logo. These have an inferior chip inside them, and they actually don't do sysex transfers AT ALL!

Hard work and guts!

Mine is exactly as the first picture you posted: 

PunBB bbcode test

But it took a realtively short time to install (35 seconds or so), and if you put in another USB port it will install again.
I instaled again after failed to work well, but did not solved the problem.

One guy in a webpage told that he had problem with a chinese MIDI-USB cable inwindows XP, and after instal a new driver it worked.
Page in portuguese, but it's the second link inside this page:

http://www.greennotes.mus.br/message.as...;listaFor=

And this other guy soldered a new ship, missing in a chinese cable, and said some wiering was also wrong, and used MIDI-OX for final fixing:
http://www.arvydas.co.uk/2013/07/cheap-...-required/

But my cable installed, recognize, but Works improperlly, so I don't think is missing a chip or soldered wrong. Can MIDI-OX help ?

EvilDragon wrote:

There are no other drivers for class-compliant devices. OS takes care of them. Throw it in the bin and call it a loss.

Several years ago I got one of those Chinese MIDI-USB cables, and it worked perfectly - even with a bit dense sysex streams. But newer ones aren't as good, and they can be told apart by the design. This is the one I bought years ago and was fine:

http://www.arvydas.co.uk/wp-content/upl...-Cable.jpg

And this is how newer ones look:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1jHiMNXXX...Mac-OS.jpg

Notice the different logo. These have an inferior chip inside them, and they actually don't do sysex transfers AT ALL!

Last edited by Beto-Music (17-06-2017 19:35)

You can plug the cables in wrong way round.  I had the Chinese one; it had a little trouble possibly because of that but I'd bought the UM1 and use that now.

I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order

Well, I pluged reversed first time, but I corrected, and it' still not working right. In wrong plug order it would not even accept play anything.

Corrected. Ortographic corretor got crazy, cause was set to portuguese and disrupted almost all words above.

peterws wrote:

You can plug the cables in wrong way round.  I had the Chinese one; it had a little trouble possibly because of that but I'd bought the UM1 and use that now.

Last edited by Beto-Music (19-06-2017 19:05)

Please a little more help here guys.

The seller told me that bad cable connection can burn the cable, or the PC plate circuit (soundcard or MIDI not sure what he means exactly) or can burn the digital piano MIDI circuit.

But the cable LED is light ed(USB lightes and  IN LED blinking), and the cable send somem comands while playing (with the erros of pedal activating E5 note) and fast repetition activate notes fited (keeping pressed against my will). He said to sellect MPU 401, but it do not appears as iton pianoteq MIDI sellection, it just appears MIDI connections.

Based on that I presume my cable or my piano or PC circuits are not burned, am I right ?

Last edited by Beto-Music (19-06-2017 19:07)

MPU-401 do not appear on pianoteq MIDI sellection page. It only appear. According this site can be a DLL corrupted file (even virus caould corrupt it):

http://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/missi...pu401-dll/

What do you think about it ?

I've read these cables work with some keyboards but not others. I have that exact cable too, but don't use it as it does some odd things with my Kawai (particularly the pedals). I've had better results with a simple A/B usb cable and ASIO4ALL rather than using those archaic midi cables and external ASIO soundcards.

By the way, have you ever seen a midi cable that wasn't made in China?

My digital piano have not output for A?B USB cable, just the MIDI outputs. My older PC had a joystick (p12) conection on the soundcard and I used a MIDi cable for this p12 port, and I* don't believe it was made in China, but the new PCs have not such port. 
Now I'm looking for a decent  MIDI/ USB converter cable of good brand.

NathanShirley wrote:

I've read these cables work with some keyboards but not others. I have that exact cable too, but don't use it as it does some odd things with my Kawai (particularly the pedals). I've had better results with a simple A/B usb cable and ASIO4ALL rather than using those archaic midi cables and external ASIO soundcards.

By the way, have you ever seen a midi cable that wasn't made in China?

How old is your digital piano? I am saying this because USB is here to stay, it is a general interface unlike the initial MIDI connectors.

I don't personally trust converters of the sort MIDI-USB. Particularly if your Windows initial drivers aren't enough. You can try another or try the card option, you may have better luck. Previously those USB options had latency issues, I don't know if it still is the case.

As for damaging devices by wrongly connecting. If the chip is powered by your PC USB interface, I don't see why it would damage your motherboard if at the other end you wrongly connect it. I may be wrong. As for your digital piano, I'm not sure, but connectors being connected the wrong way isn't something that rare (rule rather than exception). Today even a 100$ music keyboard might be protected against polarity inversions. It may very well be that your seller is accusing you of having done something wrong damaging the converter to absolve him (from having sold you something which never really worked correctly to begin with).

Last edited by Lucy (22-06-2017 01:48)

Beto-Music wrote:

And this other guy soldered a new ship, missing in a chinese cable, and said some wiering was also wrong, and used MIDI-OX for final fixing:
http://www.arvydas.co.uk/2013/07/cheap- … -required/

Even if you had such a version of the thing, does not worth the effort... ask your money being given back to you, even if you have paid 5$. The seller has to assume responsibility.

Just by any chance, have you tried it with other softwares beside Pianoteq?

Last edited by Lucy (22-06-2017 01:46)

My digital piano is a Roland older than 12 years andd have no USB neither A/B USB. 
In this PC I have only pianoteq by now. Maybe I could install a demo of something to test the cable again.

The seeler accepted to refund if I sent back the cabel. It's from China but the seller it's in my country and have to follow the rules of the site where he selled it.

I need to know about a good brand of MIDI US converter cable that works very well in very old Roland digital pianos.

I sent back (canceled buy) the chine MIDI-USB cable adapter, and I'm getting a Roland Cakewalk MIDI USB adapter.  My digital piano it's a old Roland, and I hope it works with this model.

The cable it's used, but let's hope it's fine.

Last edited by Beto-Music (28-06-2017 00:12)

The Cakewalk Roland MIDI-USB cable arrived, and it's not working.
Ohh my...

It's this model:  https://www.roland.com/global/products/um-1g/

Iy instals, it appears as UM-1G (what should appear accoding Roland) on pianoteq.
When I press the MIDI check button the MIDI out LED blinks, but not the MIDI IN.

It have two swistches, one On Off Advanced Driver, and a One Off MIDI thru. I tried all combinations and did not work.

Last edited by Beto-Music (11-07-2017 22:50)

You will not believe :

I got Roland Cakewalk UM-1G the manual on web, read it entirely, found driver for Windows 7,  tested the cable all again, installed driver again, checked connections again (Cable Midi In for Piano Out and Cable Midi Out out to piano IN)... Didn't work...  So I realised the cable's circuit box was scratched, the painted name was missing a large portion, and I imagined if it was opened before, maybe a technical fix or attempt... I imagine someone "fixed" it once and could had placed the interior wire cables, or soldered, reversed. What else could be the explanation??, I imagined. I believe it would not work but anyway I decided to put the MIDI plugs reversed, intead of the right connection of In>>OUT and OUT>>IN, I placed this time IN>>IN and OUT>>OUT.

And surprise, It worked !!!  
      MIDI IN LED also blinks now when I play.

I got the same latency number in pianoteq as before (playing with mouse), 10ms. See no difference, and the response while playing with digital piano.  The cable circuit box switch Advanced Driver (sellect a advanced drive for better performance) instead of a standart one, makes no difference or no difference I can notice in terms of reduce any extra latency the cable have in relation to the software latency.

Well, it's used but I paid about 23% of what would be a new one. The seller had sent me the money back when I explained every details of instalation and why wasn't working. Now I will contact hin to pay hin again, but will wait the money he sent back get in the credit card account. Should I ask a discount due it only work reversed and the headach I had in these 2 days ??  Háa háaa... I will pay 6% less since now will be out from the selling website, which charges 6% tax for each sale.

There is an open source project for replacing the internal circuit of those infamous USB MID cables. It gives you the full compatibity with MIDI devices. Here are the details: https://github.com/hightower70/MIDIUSB

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Even if this was true, I'm not sure why you would need to do it.  I mean, wouldn't it be simpler to just get a cheap USB audio interface that has a 5-pin MIDI IN jack, like the $59 Behringer?  It's a lot harder going the other way (i.e., getting a USB MIDI output to a 5-Pin MIDI output), and about the only cost-effective way of doing that is with a Kenton MIDI USB Host adapter, which costs a hell of a lot more than a cheap USB audio interface with MIDI.

The chinese cable (Midi adapter) was sent back to the seller. Like I said before , I got a second hand cakewalk MIDI adapter for a very good low price, but the connections was inversed. Using the the oposite connection from the manual (in with in instead of in with out) it works well. So for it work I must connect ON in ON and OUT in OUT.
Probably during some technical fix they place the ON/OUT reversed.

Beto-Music wrote:

You will not believe :
I believe it would not work but anyway I decided to put the MIDI plugs reversed, intead of the right connection of In>>OUT and OUT>>IN, I placed this time IN>>IN and OUT>>OUT.

And surprise, It worked !!!  
      MIDI IN LED also blinks now when I play.

I just registered in this forum to thank this Beto-Music guy. THANK YOU! I struggled with the same problem for years and the solution was this ridiculous. Now it works like a charm.

Haha. I feel your pain. I fell for the same trap a few years ago. I thought I was really cool saving a few bucks getting a cheap cable and it totally backfired. Not only did it not work, but I wasted about a week trying to figure it out. Ugh. Not worth it.

This is the USB-MIDI CABLE I'm using since 2012, very stable:

https://www.alesis.com/products/view/usb-midi-cable

It costed me about 20€

—Nor

KAWAI MP7—VILABS TRUEKEYS, RAVENSCROFT—AS Y.C7, KAWAI EX PRO—GARRITAN CFX FULL—IVORY II AMERICAN D—NI NOIRE—BIG SWING GRAND—M-TRACK HUB—YAMAHA HS50—PreSonus HD7—JTS HP 535