Topic: Sound level of the built-in MIDI player too high

I understand that the built-in Pianoteq MIDI player just reads and plays MIDI files, each which has its own tone and volume information.  What I don't understand is why the player's output seems uniformly higher than if I play my Pianoteq myself, even if I adjust the player's volume down by the 15 dB maximum.  I always have to also go to the "Volume" control within Pianoteq and turn that down as well.  This is annoying for when I want to play again, or even if I want to play along with the MIDI.

Is there a separate control which I can use to balance the player output versus my Pianoteq output which is different and/or more effective than the volume adjustment on the right side of the player?

- David

- David

Re: Sound level of the built-in MIDI player too high

Your velocity curve is influencing the MIDI playback, I think. When playing back MIDI files that were not recorded by you using that velocity curve (which, by your own admission, is set very aggressively because of your soft touch), velocity curve should be completely flat.

There is no separate control for MIDI player volume, but it is very easily sorted out by using two instances of Pianoteq - one solely for MIDI playback, the other for yourself.

Last edited by EvilDragon (21-08-2016 14:02)
Hard work and guts!

Clever, clever!

Two pianos, for the price of one.

I'll try having a separate Player piano, and have no more issues.

_ David

- David

EvilDragon wrote:

Your velocity curve is influencing the MIDI playback, I think. When playing back MIDI files that were not recorded by you using that velocity curve (which, by your own admission, is set very aggressively because of your soft touch), velocity curve should be completely flat.

There is no separate control for MIDI player volume, but it is very easily sorted out by using two instances of Pianoteq - one solely for MIDI playback, the other for yourself.

When recording MIDI via Pianoteq, does it record those values sent from the keyboard, and then apply the velocity curve to that data? I would think if I record MIDI on the digital piano and via Pianoteq, that the MIDI information in the files would be same. The player then applies velocity curve, other settings, etc. during playback.

Yes, AFAIK original velocity values sent from the MIDI controller are recorded. However, if you're playing back MIDI files which you did NOT record, it's best to have the velocity curve set to linear, in most, if not all, cases.

Hard work and guts!

There can also be a psychological element to the volume discrepancy. When playing, the thudding of your keyboard keys can mask Pianoteq, requiring higher volumes. Then when you play it back, minus the keyboard thudding, it seems much louder. Be careful not to damage your ears.

Last edited by NathanShirley (28-08-2016 20:54)