Topic: Quality of Pleyel Piano in the Kremshegg Instruments Pack

Below is a video from a recent post by dklein where he is discussing Pleyel and Erard pianos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8GqpKhaMo4

Just focusing on the second half of the video, the Pleyel (to my ears) sounds really beautiful. Unfortunately I find that the Pianoteq version in the Kremsegg Historical Piano Collection 2 pack sounds nowhere near as good.

You can listen to it on the instrument's page here.

Its a pity. The C. Bechstein piano in the pack is great (and makes the pack easily worth the purchase), but the Pleyel is disappointing.

Re: Quality of Pleyel Piano in the Kremshegg Instruments Pack

I agree.  The Bechstein 1899 is wonderful.

With respect to the videos, and any older restorations, I don't know what they used for their restorations.  Imagine taking a nylon string guitar and restringing it with steel strings - it would not sounds the same.  Such may be the case when older instruments get modern felt hammer-coverings.  Even the weight of the new hammers changes the tone.

But, as you point out, this does not account for the sound of Pianoteq's 1835 Pleyel, which sounds nothing like the somewhat newer one in the video.  That latter is expressive and soft without sounding, well, odd.

- David

- David

Look at the age. That's a Pleyel from 1843, Pianoteq's is older, consequently you cannot expect them to sound even nearly the same. Back in those ages pianos sounded quite different year to year even. And this is WITHOUT taking any modern restoration into account.

Last edited by EvilDragon (21-08-2016 14:04)
Hard work and guts!

Restorations is intented to restore to original form, but sometimes they tend to modernize.

For example in film restoration (cinematographic motion picture) there is some modernization, like remove all hiss from soundtrack, reduce grain for Blu Ray mastering, remove some visible wires used in old sets effects, clean up too much any dust or scratch in original image optical composition. Some people says it's going too far...

For piano maybe a similar thing can happens, when or if "restorers" think they can cash more with a very old (160 years) piano if they manage to make it sound closer to a modern piano.

Anyway I believe Modartt just created the Pleyel model to sound as the original vintage piano used in the project. The fact Bechstein 1899 sounds great proves they could create a different Pleyel model, like the one in the vídeo, if was the intention.
And whe don't know what Pleyel manufacturer introduced in pianos between 1835 and 1843, maybe some alteration or new feature.

Am I the only who thinks the vídeo had too much verberation ???

Anyway one question arise now. Can Modartt adjust pleyel, modernize it, just for a preset version called modernized?

Last edited by Beto-Music (21-08-2016 18:33)

They have a "Pleyel Revoiced" setting but it still sounds poor.  Hopefully they might update it someday or add another Pleyel model to the collection that has better playability.

You mean DIFFERENT SOUND? Pianoteq's playability is second to none.

Hard work and guts!

Yes of course. I meant a Playel that I will enjoy playing someday like I do the others.

Aidan you are free to have a opinion.

But you need to understand that the Kremsegg vintage piano collection it's not just to offer great sounding pianos like people are used to hear and play today, but also to offer the oportunit to feel how was like to play vintage instruments. That's why Kremsegg collection have models like Bechstein, with feels only a little vintage and have a great sound and playability, and have older models with some chartacteristics of their time, even some original deffects.

That's why they charged 4 pianos for the price of one. 

The KiVIR project also follows a similar approach, and are free add nos.
No other piano software company give attention to vintage pianos. This makes the pianoteq Kremsegg collection even more important.

Aidan wrote:

Yes of course. I meant a Playel that I will enjoy playing someday like I do the others.

Last edited by Beto-Music (22-08-2016 16:40)

I think the way to approach these historical instrument packs is that they provide different piano sounds, are attempts to model specific historical pianos ( not every similar one, but very specific pianos ) and simply enjoy them ( if you do ) on that basis.

Apart from that I wonder to what extent changing the microphone positions and room settings ( reverb ) will make ?  I suspect a lot.  Likewise Pianoteq Standard let's you tweak the model quite a lot.  One reason I upgraded to Standard was for that reason.  ( I'd never been happy with the K2, but a few model tweaks - and a couple of fxps - made a huge difference ).  I informally tried matching a different YouTube video with the available modelled Pleyel and felt that room effect and microphone position made up a lot of the difference - YMMV.

So, Aidan, I think you've not fully explored all the options to get the sound you're looking for from the Pleyel models.

The Kremsegg 2 collection is a gem, accurate or not.  Personally I like the Frenzel a great deal and feel it's under-rated ( or not mentioned enough ).  And never mind how "true to life" it is - it's a lovely sound in it's own right to me.  It's just four lovely piano sounds to work with.  Marvellous.

StephenG

Beto-Music wrote:

but also to offer the oportunit to feel how was like to play vintage instruments

I guess its debatable how accurate Pianoteq is at reproducing the original sounds of these pianos. If it comes close to repoducing the real life sound of them then fair enough, but it may not. Some of the pianos instruments provided by Pianoteq are still being worked on and improved AFAIK, and maybe the Pleyel needs some work also? Or maybe not - I don't have access to one so can't compare.

sjgcit wrote:

So, Aidan, I think you've not fully explored all the options to get the sound you're looking for from the Pleyel models.

I played around a bit with the options, but you are right, not so much. Normally I expect the provided presets to produce more or less the best or near best setups possible. But I have noticed huge differences in the sound produced in changing the microphone setups before, so I'll give it another try sometime, and do the same for the Frenzel piano also.

So what about the 1st Kremsegg collection then? How does that stand up? Any that would be enjoyable to me as the Bechstein is in that set? I can't enjoy the demos for some reason - having those notes missing makes it impossible to get a real feel for them (for me).

Aidan, the 1849 Erard in Kremsegg 1 is wonderful. My favourite Chopin instrument.  Many years' ago I played an original 1846 Erard, which was a revelation to me for playing Chopin.  Too long ago to say how the sounds compare, but the PT 1849 Erard is very satisfying.