Topic: Pianoteq performance and multi-core/hyperthread processing

I'm building a new mini-ITX box for myself as a dedicated unit for running Pianoteq (the intent here being portability without sacrificing computational power when using it for gigs/performances on a "mission-critical" stable/solid platform) and am on the fence over my CPU choice...

I'm looking at either the 4th gen i7-4790 (3.6Ghz/4Ghz , 4 Cores/8 Threads , LGA1150) on the H81 chipset, or the more recent 6th gen i7-6700K (4Ghz/4.2Ghz , 4 Cores/8 Threads , LGA1151) on the Z170 chipset.  The price-point difference isn't terrible (and more an issue around the MoBo and associated chipset) but, ever the frugal Yankee, I wonder if the performance improvement in a dedicated rig of 6th gen over 4th gen CPUs would actually be non-trivial?  I don't necessarily expect any benchmarks using Pianoteq (though it'd obviously be nice!), but I wonder if anyone has, anecdotally, infos on samples vs latency in their Pianoteq setup with either of these CPUs?  Any other thoughts/observations on this would likewise be appreciated.

Many thanks!
dj

Matthieu 7:6

Re: Pianoteq performance and multi-core/hyperthread processing

You can expect better power utilization on 6th gen. I went with i7-6700K myself and am very VERY happy with it. Also 1150 is a discontinued socked now I think, so 1151 will be the way forward for any future CPU upgrades (parallel with enthusiast-grade 2011 v3 socket, but those are usually more expensive configurations).

Don't worry about sample rate or latency - for this you need to look at your audio interface more than on your CPU, and its ASIO drivers. Pianoteq will happily run on ANY dualcore (and above) that is 5-7 years old.

Last edited by EvilDragon (28-06-2016 10:18)
Hard work and guts!