Topic: How is "Delay" different from "Reverb", and what is its best use?

As I have been trying to tweak the models of the Steinways D and B and Buethner One to try to see how close I can come to my own piano, I am wondering what is the purpose and best use of "Delay"?:

1)  At the extreme, Delay is an echo good for effects.  At the minimum, it either helps or blurs.

2)  Reverb is a type of delay, a type of echo that people think about as a product of the environment (walls, etc.).

3)  For an acoustic instrument, is "Delay" like an "Internal echo"?  In other words, in a piano, is "Delay" the reverb produced by the piano body itself?  Or should it be used that way?

David

- David

Re: How is "Delay" different from "Reverb", and what is its best use?

You've pretty much answered the first part of your question. Delay is an extreme case of echo or reverb. It replays the original signal delayed in time and reduced in intensity/amplitude. Reverb tries to mimick natural reverberation like eg a room or concert hall.

As to which is best to use, and how to best imitate a piano cabinet, you best trust your ears on what's best for you because working it out mathematically gets way more complicated. A combination of the two will likely yield the best results.

Just as a very rough starting point it helps to know the speed of sound in air: approx 350 m/s, or one foot/ms. So for sound to reach you from the back of a 9 foot grand will take approx 9ms. To get there and back will take twice that. But really these kinds of numbers are just to get you in the ballpark: to give you reasonable initial guesses that you should tweak to your liking by ear.

Last edited by SteveLy (13-06-2016 07:14)
3/2 = 5

David,

Delay and reverb are two different manifestations of the same phenonemon: sound bouncing back from reflective surfaces.
In the case of delay — which, in real life, is typically an outdoor thing —, the distance between the source and the reflective surface is so big that those reflections can be heard seperately. (For example: the echo in the mountains.)
Reverb, on the other hand, is what happens indoors: the short distances and the enclosing space make the sound bounce around on all the surrounding surfaces of the room and this results in a very complex, diffused blend of reflections which we call reverberation.

In other words: with delay, you can hear each reflection seperately (until they die away), and with reverb, the reflections dissolve and blur into a wash of sound.
(That is: as far as the natural occurences of these two is concerned anyway. Things are a little bit different when discussing digital emulations of both reverb and delay.)

And it’s also a bit more complex than just that, because, in reverb, we often distinguish between the so-called ‘early reflections’ and the ‘tail’. The early reflections are the first to reach our ear and it’s the part of the reverb that happens right before the blurring (=the tail) starts to occur. As such, these reflections are still faintly delay-like: less diffused, less dissolved than the tail.

Which leads us to the most common use of delay in virtual spatialization: the simulation of the ‘early reflections’. That’s what a very short delay (with a short feedback) actually does a pretty good impression of: the initial response of a room.
Early reflections are vitally important when it comes to suggesting a room. It’s the early reflections, much more than the tail, which give us an idea of the sort of room that the source sound is happening in, and where in that room it is happening. Especially for smaller spaces (rooms, studios, chambers, small halls), you really can’t afford to ignore the importance of the early reflections.

If you look at many of the piano presets in Pianoteq, you’ll find that the delay effect is already often used in precisely that way: to increase the sense of space around the instrument.
The danger with using delay like this however, is that, when you overdo it, you end up with a sort of enclosed, boxy sound which makes the instrument sound like it is trapped in a small space. Not a very appealing sound (unless you want it as an effect). So you have to be extremely careful with the delay settings. Set right, delay can be a very powerful ingredient of the total illusion, set wrong however and it’ll cause all sorts of trouble. If in doubt: better have too little than too much.

Also: the bigger the space you hope to suggest, the less delay (early reflections) you need. Because: the bigger the room, the more the early reflections become part of the tail.

All in all, a fairly complex matter and one that, if you’re unfamilar with it, takes quite a bit of excercise and experimenting before you’ll feel totally comfortable applying these effects.
But … there’s no way around either of these effects: you really have to master them both completely if you ever hope to be able to create convincing simulations of spatialized sound sources. And the better you know them, the more you can control them and apply them with complete accuracy to your mix.

_

Last edited by Piet De Ridder (13-06-2016 08:02)

Thanks for these two responses, which have helped me in my thinking.

In my case, I am just trying to use Pianoteq to make my synthetic pianos sound as much like the acoustic piano on which I am playing them. In other words, unlike using Echo and Reverb to duplicate spaces that I am not sitting in (concert halls, cathedrals, stadiums, etc. – all the things that the Fossgate and other acoustic processors were designed to do), I am just trying to get the sound coming out of two or more speakers to sound as if it was actually created by the piano in front of me in the room where I am sitting.

Therefore, the room I am in, in this case my living room, has its own reverb, and I don't really need to add that. The piano in front of me, even at rest, has a certain amount of sympathetic resonance even with sounds coming out of the speakers that currently are underneath my keyboard (the one on the right facing the left, and the one on the left facing the right), so some of the added sounds are generated in the Maple and Rosewood box itself as resonance, reverb, etc.

What two speakers always have trouble doing is mimicking a large, broad, 88 element speaker. Even more complicated, as everybody who reads this forum knows, is that unlike a regular studio monitor or stereo speaker where the two or three or six different elements don't interact with each other, on a piano, each of the 88 speaker elements are linear like a ribbon tweeter and are not point source, and they interact with the other elements around them and even across the piano from them. Very complicated to reproduce convincingly!

So far, while I feel that I am getting close with my tweaking, I often feel that playing with settings in Pianoteq to produce realism tends to make things a bit muddy and "round". My acoustic upright piano, on the other hand, has very distinct tones when the hammer hits the string, not just from the hammer, but from the string and the soundboard itself, that quickly fade into a warmer resonant tone. I have been unable, either among the settings that come with the program, or with tweaking things myself, to get this kind of bimodal sound. While I can get a percussive hammer-strike sound, as well as the rounder, warmer tail, I have not been able to duplicate the clear, strong, and full tone that comes from my piano the split second after the first hammer strike. That's where I think my synthetic sounds do not duplicate what my ears hear at the keyboard from the piano in front of me.

- David

Things like what Piet De Ridder is talking about must be put into PTQ's manual, or gathered in some big guide and put into a sticky topic. I was close to ditching Pianoteq because I couldn't find a way to make it produce live, reverberant, fragrant sound I liked and heard many times in different piano records - something I could easily do with some sampled pianos out there by spinning some knobs a bit. It's only in this last days when I delved deep into the effects pane and understood importance of room's sound profile I finally was able to achieve something similar to what I want from it. No ready sound preset seemed "live" or "authentic" to me. They were dull, uncharacteristic, too "muddy", too "synthetic" etc.

At least it's for me who always use headphones for playing (I believe it may be different for those who use good external sound systems with speakers; but, you know, headphones as an output device SHOULD be the default assumption when creating these presets, as it's one of the selling points of digital pianos, a lot of people buy them because they can play it with headphones on)

That's not a good thing, IMO. If I understand Modart's marketing strategy correctly, Stage version (which I poses) must be comparable very closely with popular sampled piano libraries out there (because they are in the same price range), while providing some benefits also, to "hook up" a customer (like much better dynamics, full-range support of pedals, "extensibility" and "tweakability" in case you'll upgrade to Standard later etc). So it must right out of the box, with as little changes as possible, provide the same quality of sound these libraries do. User must not spend several days in the settings before he'll be able to achieve that.

I honestly think Pianoteq could benefit a lot if these standard profiles and presets would have been revisited by Modart with all the wisdom they have on sound profiling, and would have been "tweaked up" until resulting sound's richness become similar to the one shown by best sampled libraries out there. Or at least a definitive official guide should be published which shows how to achieve that.

Last edited by AlexS (13-06-2016 12:25)

@dklein Speaker placement and listening position and room acoustics play a bigger role than any effects. Some of the Pianoteq default presets should sound pretty good already if the room acoustics aren't muddying things up. If you're in a small room it can be tough to get a pair of speakers to sound like anything other than a pair of speakers. Bass traps in the two corners behind the speakers are a good start.

I'm sorry I don't have any good single source to recommend, nor can I sum it up in a single post of reasonable length. But some basic acoustic treatment for your practice room will do wonders. Info is not hard to find online. "Acoustic treatment" is the key phrase.

Last edited by SteveLy (13-06-2016 13:15)
3/2 = 5

AlexS wrote:

No ready sound preset seemed "live" or "authentic" to me. They were dull, uncharacteristic, too "muddy", too "synthetic" etc. ... At least it's for me who always use headphones for playing.

I guess I'm the opposite. I often turn off the delay of a preset and diminish the reverb (smaller room or less of the reverb effect added to the model in the "wet/dry" mix) even when wearing headphones. I like the additional clarity, especially when playing a piece with complex chords (chords that include many notes or have complex frequency interactions between notes).

AlexS wrote:

I honestly think Pianoteq could benefit a lot if these standard profiles and presets would have been revisited by Modart with all the wisdom they have on sound profiling, and would have been "tweaked up" until resulting sound's richness become similar to the one shown by best sampled libraries

Although you might prefer a particular type of sound, others may disagree and have different preferences. You may prefer to have the sound of your piano drowning in the complex reverberations of a huge cathedral or gigantic cave, or echoing strongly from a relatively flat, rocky surface of a mountain, for example, while others may prefer a clearer sound. There is also the matter of how close or how distant you are (or rather, one is) from a sound source. Sitting at the piano in a large cathedral, one primarily hears the sound of the piano itself (which is louder than its reflected, reverberated sound), but sitting in the balcony furthest from the piano, one may primarily hear the sound reflected from the walls, windows, columns, wooden objects, all of the complex surfaces facing different directions and of different surface textures and forms, all of which affect the reflected sound and the complex interactions of that reflected sound from all the surfaces. In that distant balcony, the sound produced by the piano itself might be obscured by or submerged within the reflected sound the listener hears.

It is a great advantage (for performers, recording engineers, etc.) to have an isolation between sound and effects, so that the pure sound produced by an instrument or any sound source can be heard clearly, or alternatively altered with precise control. One of my personal complaints against sampled sounds is the reverb and delay and other sound colors that are introduced into and included to some degree within most of them (all of them that are recorded with microphones). I tend to prefer dryer samples (those made with close mics in small rooms with sound-absorbing wall, floor and ceiling treatments), so that reverb and delay and other effects can be added to the sound as one wishes, rather than incorporated into the samples in their raw, original form.

There are already some Pianoteq presets that make heavy use of delay or reverb or both, such as the "cinematic," "new age," "dreamy" type presets, which I usually find have too much reverb and/or delay for my taste, and it's easy to make any preset sound dripping wet with reverb and delay using Pianoteq's very versatile and finely-controlable effects. I rarely use the "cathedral" or "Taj Mahal" reverbs (very spacious rooms or structures with many reflective surfaces) in Pianoteq, for instance, although they are nice for certain effects or for people who like a lot of reverb, nor delays long enough to hear distinctly and separately from the original sound, nor either effect added to any great degree to the dry or pure sound of an instrument (using the reverb's "Mix" and "Duration" sliders, for example).

If you desire a lot of delay or reverb, it's always possible to choose a more intense reverb (larger room and routing a greater percentage of the dry sound through the reverb using one of the reverb effect sliders) or longer delay and a wetter (more pronounced) ratio of original sound to delayed or echoed sound. Reverb and delay are both affected by a combination of the type of effect (such as the size of room or type of reverb (including artificial electronic "plate" or "spring" reverbs)) and the amount of influence that effect has upon the instrument sound, determined with great control by the sliders in the effects area of Pianoteq.

Traditionally, this sound coloration or alteration is what the rack-mounted effects processors, microphone placement, and room treatments were used for by recording engineers and performance-space designers, and I think it is nice to keep those effects separate from the sound source itself, which in my view is one great advantage of Pianoteq over sampled sounds that already include reverb, delay, etc. which cannot be removed, but only added to.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (14-06-2016 02:44)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

So, AlexS, what did you settle into when you decided not to ditch Pianoteq?

I agree with Stephen Doonan - I am generally turning off the reverb and delay on the presets.  But still, the sampled sounds of Native Instruments' "The Grandeur" and "Alicia's Keys" are more realistic-sounding on my speaker setup than any of the Pianoteq presets on their pianos.  With respect to Alicia's Keys, it has a sweet tone especially in the mid-high treble that is much more like my Steinway F than it is like a typical Yamaha grand (so there must be advantages to having a super-special Yamaha C3 Neo), but Alicia's hammer sound is too percussive for me.  If I could blend "The Grandeur" with "Alicia's Keys", then I would have the electronic match for my 1885 acoustic Steinway F with the lid open.

- David