Topic: Do I need external studio soundcard with the laptop in gigs?

So Pianoteq didn't work well with my inner soundcard(which is pretty strong soundcard, designed for audiophiles, but not for music application).

So I tried to operate Pianoteq with my Native instrument Rig Kontrol(if you familiar with it, I'm also a  guitar player), this unit includes soundcard strong enough for Pianoteq(not on highest setting at all, but sounds OK).

But what is going on on gigs?
I understand you have to bring laptop and amplifier, but I assume no laptop comes with studio soundcard in it.
So what is the common way to use Pianoteq in gigs?
To bring laptop + amplifier + external soundcard?
Is that what I'm suppose to do?
Is this the recommended way?
Is this what most of Pianoteq users do?

Thanks.

Re: Do I need external studio soundcard with the laptop in gigs?

hag01 wrote:

So Pianoteq didn't work well with my inner soundcard(which is pretty strong soundcard, designed for audiophiles, but not for music application).

So I tried to operate Pianoteq with my Native instrument Rig Kontrol(if you familiar with it, I'm also a  guitar player), this unit includes soundcard strong enough for Pianoteq(not on highest setting at all, but sounds OK).

I understand you have to bring laptop and amplifier, but I assume no laptop comes with studio soundcard in it.

Thanks.

I'm kind of surprised is doesn't sound good with your internal card.  I have a Dell with an Intel Core I5.  I don't know what the internal sound card is but it sounds fine.

Last edited by GRB (01-06-2016 02:03)
Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

GRB wrote:
hag01 wrote:

Thanks.

I'm kind of surprised is doesn't sound good with your internal card.  I have a Dell with an Intel Core I5.  I don't know what the internal sound card is but it sounds fine.

I don't know, when I try to operate Pianoteq with my asus stx essence ii soundcard in ASIO mode, I get error message.

Was trying to get help here, sadly got no replay:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=4501

So after that I tried to operate Pianoteq with my asus stx essence ii soundcard and with ASIO4ALL, and it didn't work well.

An inexpensive external USB sound card will do fine for gigs; e.g. Behringer UCA200 series (202, 222 ...). Besides sound quality (if that issue cannot be fixed for your setup) the main problem I've found with laptops is the longevity of the headphone/line-out output jack. For gigging especially you tend to need something that can handle a bit of rough treatment and USB is a more robust way to connect.

3/2 = 5

hag01 wrote:
GRB wrote:
hag01 wrote:

Thanks.

I don't know, when I try to operate Pianoteq with my asus stx essence ii soundcard in ASIO mode, I get error message.

Was trying to get help here, sadly got no replay:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=4501

So after that I tried to operate Pianoteq with my asus stx essence ii soundcard and with ASIO4ALL, and it didn't work well.

Well this may seem stupid, but have your thought about getting a different laptop.  I have one Asus with a Celeron that is for all intents and purposes useless with Pianoteq.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway