Topic: Best instrument for pianoteq

Hi guys,

I wonder could anyone advise me as I'm in such a dilemma. Basically, a month after buying a pianoteq stage licence, I have decided that the action on my Yamaha clavinova CLP 585 is not satisfactory, despite the fact I have done all the calibrations.
I have decided to change to a 'hybrid' digital and have narrowed my choice down to between the Casio GP500 and Kawai CA97. I can't decide between the two so wondered if anyone had any advice?
Thanks everyone

Re: Best instrument for pianoteq

I've played the GP500, but not the CA97. I have tried the Kawai Grand Feel keys though (CA97 is GF II, which is said to be a relatively minor refinement of GF). No question I'd go for the Kawai. But this is a very individual and personal decision. Just spend more time with both keyboards until you get a feel for which one you really prefer. They are quite different in feel, so it shouldn't take you too long to decide.

3/2 = 5

Steven76 wrote:

Hi guys,

I wonder could anyone advise me as I'm in such a dilemma. Basically, a month after buying a pianoteq stage licence, I have decided that the action on my Yamaha clavinova CLP 585 is not satisfactory, despite the fact I have done all the calibrations.
I have decided to change to a 'hybrid' digital and have narrowed my choice down to between the Casio GP500 and Kawai CA97. I can't decide between the two so wondered if anyone had any advice?
Thanks everyone

This seems a bit of over-kill. If you're dead set on using Pianoteq for your main piano sound, why not get a nice keyboard that has great action but makes no sound at all, like the Kawai VPC1. Regarding your two choices, I can't make an educated suggestion, not having played either, but you probably couldn't go wrong with either. I've liked the Kawai keyboards that I've tried. , but I play a Roland RD800 "slab" and adore its generated sounds, action and configurability.

Since you have narrowed your choice to premium cabinet digital pianos, would you consider to extend your range of choices? There are new LX/HP series of Roland. The reason why I am suggesting them is because you carry about a key action and Roland action in new series is quite improved and has a lot of good opinions; of course the opinions are highly personal and biased but it would be worth considering them.

I'm all about light weight, so I'm quite satisfied with a Casio "slab."  To me, getting nay kind of cabinet piano defeats the purpose of Pianoteq.

Last edited by GRB (17-05-2016 23:18)
Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

Hi Steven,

If you ask me about the keytouch on the CA97 I'd say I cannot be happier.

Now, after trying PTQ through my CA97 speakers a lot of times with different settings I came to the conclusion that it doesn't sound the way it should sound.

To have a satisfactory experience with PTQ you need a neutral couple of monitors, since the sound system in the CA97 is somehow coloured or tuned to enhance the onboard sounds, and that's something I'm pretty confident of.

On the other hand, it's not that I couldn't live by playing PTQ on the CA97 speakers, but to be honest I always end up playing the onboard pianos which sound way better through the soundboard.

Should I speak out my preference, I love CA97 pianos as much as PTQ's. For me PTQ is just a sound expansion but I can live happily without any of them.

Hope it helped a bit.
David

Last edited by davidizquierdo82 (22-06-2016 15:14)
P85>Kawai CA97>Numa XGT>FP90X>LX706
Pianoteq 8 Pro (all instruments) + Organteq 2
i7 4790K W10 64bits + Behringer UMC1820
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz

Despite  new action and good looks Casio is still not match for Kawai in higher price range. Kawai all the way. Still, if you want  to use Pianoteq, I dont see real arguments to go for CA97 instead of VPC1. Much much more money for little improvements in action and huge package and at the top of all of this, you need to go for good external speakers for better sound with Pianoteq. For the price of Kawai CA97 or less go for VPC1 with top piano VST, some Dynaudio studio monitors or FOCAL Solo6 Be, RME audio interface, and all of that will blow CA97 out of the water.

Last edited by slobajudge (22-06-2016 15:53)