Topic: Pianoteq - Kontakt ?

Hello,

Does anybody know what's that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCFjedFOCEo

Re: Pianoteq - Kontakt ?

Somebody sampled Pianoteq and made a Kontakt instrument. Completely pointless, LOL.

Hard work and guts!

ooops, ok...

How about the other way round?  Is it possible to apply the modelling process to some of the best and interesting sample libraries out there (Synthogy Ivory, Vienna Imperial, Una Corda, The Giant...etc.)?  I do love their sound, just find the playability seriously lacking.  I am totally uninformed as to the modelling process, but if this is possible it may expedite development of new Pianoteq instruments...

Will also raise an ethical dilemma on whether it violates copyright to "copy" the sound of a sample library, using a totally different underlying process.  (Bob Carver did that with some of his solid state amplifier creations, where he "copied" the sound of tube ampliifers (mostly from other manufacturers), achieving the identical sound using totally different technologies).

Just a thought, not sure if it is even possible...

Last edited by lo134 (13-05-2016 16:12)

It's possible to use 4 ou 5 velocity layers of each key, from a sampled library to create a new model.  I asked it years ago, and they said the ethic and copyrights was prohibitive.

lo134 wrote:

How about the other way round?  Is it possible to apply the modelling process to some of the best and interesting sample libraries out there (Synthogy Ivory, Vienna Imperial, Una Corda, The Giant...etc.)?  I do love their sound, just find the playability seriously lacking.  I am totally uninformed as to the modelling process, but if this is possible it may expedite development of new Pianoteq instruments...

Will also raise an ethical dilemma on whether it violates copyright to "copy" the sound of a sample library, using a totally different underlying process.  (Bob Carver did that with some of his solid state amplifier creations, where he "copied" the sound of tube ampliifers (mostly from other manufacturers), achieving the identical sound using totally different technologies).

Just a thought, not sure if it is even possible...

EvilDragon wrote:

Somebody sampled Pianoteq and made a Kontakt instrument. Completely pointless, LOL.

It's a good way for recover the missing notes in the demo version.

EvilDragon wrote:

This does sound pointless. The only benefits I could see for doing this would be if you could then load them into a keyboards built-in sounds.

Some years go somebody produced a sampled piano, with the samples being generated in non real-time using some kind of modelling. I'm pretty sure they stated that their goal was to produce an interesting pianistic sound, without being very authentic.  I thought it just sounded dreadful - period. ;^) Does anyone remember this product?

Greg.

Well, one use might be to experiment with the amp envelope of notes and ranges. What happens with a slightly slower attack? With changes to the slope of the initial decay? Might playing around with both LP and HP filters, and their envelopes, be an aid in testing the model, too?

Not in a simple way, as in reaching an immediate conclusion that "the attack is too fast," or "the attack is too brittle." Instead, subjective impressions such as these could lead to investigations into the interactions of the sound sources and modifiers. In other words, if one did hear the attack on a given instrument as improved by changing the amp attack envelope in some way, the next step would be to determine what elements contribute to that change in the model.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (17-05-2016 17:50)

Lylo wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

It's a good way for recover the missing notes in the demo version.

There are easier ways ))

Jake Johnson wrote:

Well, one use might be to experiment with the amp envelope of notes and ranges. What happens with a slightly slower attack? With changes to the slope of the initial decay? Might playing around with both LP and HP filters, and their envelopes, be an aid in testing the model, too?

If I wanted to do all that, I'd just use a DAW in combination with Pianoteq proper.

BACKPEDAL: Well, I guess it might be difficult to reproduce the kind of control that would be possible in Kontakt.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (11-06-2016 00:24)