Topic: The peculiarity of our hearing

After this article, I realized why the music is high-res quality makes sense.
http://www.show-master.ru/categories/92...ovka_.html
The point is not in the frequencies that may be replicated above 18,000-20,000 Hz. What's the point in determining the spatial location of the sound source. One way to determine the direction of the sound source is the delay of the sound wave coming to different ears. The delay may be less than about 0.63 milliseconds. But hearing the resolution in determining the direction of (as it is written in the article) 1-2 degrees horizontally. This change in the delay between the ears in the 13-18 microseconds (!!!!).
20.8 microseconds - sampling frequency range for digital audio with 48000 samples / s.
22.7 microseconds - sampling frequency range for audio CDs (44,100 samples / s).
It turns out that the quality of the CD is not enough to transmit a clear spatial pattern to our ears. It feels like the way it is. I turn SAСD, put on the headphones and immerse myself in a different space. I hope to find agreement listeners)

Last edited by scherbakov.al (26-04-2016 22:21)

Re: The peculiarity of our hearing

https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Hard work and guts!

Yes, I was familiar with this article. As a child, I was alone at home, I listened with rapture vinyl Pink Floyd "wish you were here" This was to some extent a dive in a fairy tale. Then there were MP3, CD .. But recently I listened to this album remastered in SACD. It was charmingly. Full immersion. There were all of the same frequency tones .. but the effect is stunning presence. It is this subtle effect is killed by CD. There is not enough space definition that would make the subconscious mind believe what is happening in the sound. Mahler's 9th Symphony under the control Gegriev and the London Symphony in SACD .. that feeling of space of the room.
Sorry. I'm just impressed.

Keep in mind that some CDs are mastered differently for certain formats, so there may be actual differences. Other times, it's the same master, just without downsampling. The only way to conclusively prove either case is a direct rip of both versions e.g. SACD and CD.

scherbakov.al wrote:

I listened with rapture vinyl Pink Floyd "wish you were here" This was to some extent a dive in a fairy tale. Then there were MP3, CD .. But recently I listened to this album remastered in SACD. It was charmingly. Full immersion. There were all of the same frequency tones .

You really think Pink Floyd's 1974 mastertapes contained a load of sound above 20kHz?

They didn't.

There's this one thing called confirmation bias, and guess what, we're all susceptible to it.

Hard work and guts!

On SA-CD.net it says this recording is a 5.1 surround mix. Of course there is better immersion than a 2 channel CD, but it is not due to a better high frequency response.

feline1 wrote:

You really think Pink Floyd's 1974 mastertapes contained a load of sound above 20kHz?

In the first post I noticed that it was not in the frequencies. Just listen.

Gilles, yes. Saсd typically yet comprises a stereo track.

Last edited by scherbakov.al (29-04-2016 21:01)