Topic: Lautenwerck

While playing the Concert Harp in PianoTeq, I realized a way to create the sound of a Lautenwerck, or Lute-Harpsichord.

This instrument has gut strings and no dampers, so the Concert Harp provides a good head start.  A few tweaks, and we're there.  Here's what I did:

Start with the Concert Harp "Daily" preset; move the plucking point to around 1/10.0; increase the plucking brightness to about 1.70 for all three dynamics; lower the soundboard impedance to about 0.66; then set dynamics sensitivity to the minimum (1 Db), or create a flat velocity curve for the Keyboard.

Now we have a harpsichord variant with harp-like (or lute-like) characteristics.  To my ear, this setting out-performs the Sampled Sets I have for the same instrument, giving a much fuller and more satisfying sound yet still with all the desired characteristics.

Score one more for PianoTeq!

Re: Lautenwerck

Could you please post a demo recording?

This is one of the things I love about Pianoteq -- what an incredibly flexible and organic sounding instrument. Looking forward to trying out this Lute-Harpsichord technique. Thanks for posting this.

NathanShirley wrote:

This is one of the things I love about Pianoteq -- what an incredibly flexible and organic sounding instrument. Looking forward to trying out this Lute-Harpsichord technique. Thanks for posting this.

If you like it (or find some appropriate improvements), feel free to post a demo.  I would suggest use of an alternative tuning to improve the effect... whether meantone, or one of the "circulating" temperaments used in the Baroque.  Myself, I've been using the Lehman-Bach Temperament found in a Scala file.

The file is "lehman2.scl" and it has been posted here on this Forum:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=2988

Last edited by OrganoPleno (22-04-2016 17:33)

Suggested repertoire for this instrument:

Anything written by J.S.Bach for the Lute (or the Lute-Harpsichord);
Anything written for Harpsichord by J.S.Bach and containing lots of runs and arpeggios...
for example, the Chromatic Fantasy BWV 903;
and most early music for the Virginal, such as the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book.
And, of course, any transcriptions of Lute Music such as by John Dowland.

OrganoPleno wrote:

While playing the Concert Harp in PianoTeq, I realized a way to create the sound of a Lautenwerck, or Lute-Harpsichord.

Can't do that with Ivory! Go PT!

There are two really good modern lautenwerks in my town (Atlanta, Georgia, USA) and I know both of the owners. There is some potential here...

If you want to hear a real lautenwerk, then here is a full album by one of these Atlanta artists: Daniel Pyle.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-m...d780189639

Last edited by Wheat Williams (13-05-2016 02:13)
Dayton, Ohio, United States of America
macOS 10.14.6 Mojave • Apple MacBook Pro (2017), no Touch Bar • 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 2 core • 8GB RAM