Topic: Bluthner is still my favourite, by far

After playing with the newer instruments like Model B, Kremsigg collection and K2 during the past months, I switched back to the Bluthner and played for a whole afternoon, losing myself in the music.  I thought with the introduction of every new Pianoteq instrument it will automatically become my new favourite, but that had not been the case.  For me, there is something very special with the Bluthner, the unique ringing high notes, the round, warm tone, the immediacy of its touch...etc.  It really plays more satisfying than an acoustic piano and I almost (ha!) can't think of anything better. 

I still very much look forward to the introduction of new pianoteq instruments, but now I am not so sure whether it beats the Bluthner.  Sound preference obviously is very personal and is related to multiple factors (room acoustics, speakers, speaker placement...etc.).  But to me, although I find all the Pianoteq pianos to be excellent (and I do enjoy them a lot), none of them come close to the Bluthner, which provides a whole different level of satisfaction.

Is it just me?  What has been your experience?

Last edited by lo134 (17-04-2016 13:10)

Re: Bluthner is still my favourite, by far

I'm the same. Keep switching back and forth from the Model-B and Blüthner. As I posted in another post, I'm hoping they can improve the Blüthner using whatever improvements (to algorithms or whatever) they introduced in the Model-B. I was told to have patience but nothing yet from M - still don't know if this is even possible or will ever be done.

I think the Model-B is better done, but for enjoyment and getting lost in the music, perhaps the Blüthner is indeed the best. Personally I still can't decide after all this time.

I'm sure the latest Concert Harp and Harpsicord releases are great for whoever enjoys them - alas they are not for me at all - it is "Piano"teq after all...

I usually gravitate to the Model B, finding its sound luscious, but I do enjoy the flexibility of swapping out pianos whenever I tire of the current sound.

And I agree that the newest additions, the Harp and the Harpsicord, while being quite impressive, are not a worthwhile or practical purchase for me.  Now if they modeled a Hammond B-3 with a rotating Leslie speaker and crushed it like they did the Model B, now THAT I'd snap up in a heartbeat!

Model B beyond a doubt. Pianoteq really nailed this one, allowing for detailed levels of tweaking and personalizing. I do hope in time Blüthner will receive the Model B treatment as well.
Edit: played the Blüthner again. Have to admit it has this unique mellowness, difficult to reproduce with other pianos, even Model B.

Last edited by Fleer (17-04-2016 18:37)
Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

lo134 wrote:

For me, there is something very special with the Bluthner, the unique ringing high notes, the round, warm tone, the immediacy of its touch...etc.  It really plays more satisfying than an acoustic piano and I almost (ha!) can't think of anything better. 
I find all the Pianoteq pianos to be excellent (and I do enjoy them a lot), none of them come close to the Bluthner, which provides a whole different level of satisfaction.
Is it just me?  What has been your experience?

Yes. Same for me... After playing new models, I always return to Bluthner. The best for me.

Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

Then again, check out this Model B vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2LCwQla1ds

Edit: now I know why I love the sound of this piano so much. It reminds me of Keith Jarretts Köln Concert, although he used a Bösendorfer. Not an Imperial, but a smaller grand, probably the size of a Model B.
That's Model B's forte: it absolutely sings and shines, while Blüthner is subdued.

Last edited by Fleer (17-04-2016 21:18)

These days i use Pianoteq as a VST in Renoise (linux) with a K2 in the left and a Blüthner in the right. Sounds awesome, very nice stereo effect especially with headphones.

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

delt wrote:

These days i use Pianoteq as a VST in Renoise (linux) with a K2 in the left and a Blüthner in the right. Sounds awesome, very nice stereo effect especially with headphones.

My favorite is the K2 Player Clean. I play light pop, and it's perfect. Very clean with lots of heft in the bass. The D4 has more personality though. I own the Bluthner and the Model B, but I'm not playing them much these days.

I finally found correct eq settings for my Rokit 6 G3's, and I'm very happy with the whole sound.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

I love the sound of the Model B as well, just as much as the Bluthner.  The thing that prevents me to love the Model B as much as the Bluthner is the touch response.  I am unable to get the Model B to respond to my touch the same way the Bluthner does.  Bluthner feels very natural to my touch, almost as an extension of my fingers, whereas the Model B felt "hard", with a smaller tonal colour that I could achieve by varying my touch.  It may be the more brilliant tone of the Model B but I just do not yet feel a natural connection to it when I play it.  I wonder whether this is simply a matter of tweaking the velocity curve and other settings...the good thing about pianoteq is that if you don't like how it sound / feels, I can tweak it till it satisfy, IF I know how to tweak it properly, that is...:-)

lo134 wrote:

I love the sound of the Model B as well, just as much as the Bluthner.  The thing that prevents me to love the Model B as much as the Bluthner is the touch response.  I am unable to get the Model B to respond to my touch the same way the Bluthner does.  Bluthner feels very natural to my touch, almost as an extension of my fingers, whereas the Model B felt "hard", with a smaller tonal colour that I could achieve by varying my touch.  It may be the more brilliant tone of the Model B but I just do not yet feel a natural connection to it when I play it.  I wonder whether this is simply a matter of tweaking the velocity curve and other settings...the good thing about pianoteq is that if you don't like how it sound / feels, I can tweak it till it satisfy, IF I know how to tweak it properly, that is...:-)

Very good description. Really looking forward to the new Blüthner in Pianoteq 6

Fleer wrote:

Then again, check out this Model B vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2LCwQla1ds

Edit: now I know why I love the sound of this piano so much. It reminds me of Keith Jarretts Köln Concert, although he used a Bösendorfer. Not an Imperial, but a smaller grand, probably the size of a Model B.
That's Model B's forte: it absolutely sings and shines, while Blüthner is subdued.

So it was a Bösendorfer that Jarrett played for the Köln Concert? I never knew that, only that he was not given his stipulated Steinway. If I had to guess from the recording, I would have said a Blüthner rather than a Steinway - but the difficullty is that the ECM recording has a somewhat unpleasant "hardness" to the sound in the upper midrange (1kHz-5kHz) as I hear it from my original vinyl. By the way, are we aware of the Köln Concert transcription by a pair of enterprising Japanese gentlemen published by Schott? It was absolutely one of my most memorable moments of 20 years internetting to discover there was score which I could use to better understand the music.

From a recordist's point of view, the Modartt Model B is arguably technically their best piano yet. But the Blüthner has qualities of its own that are out of reach of the Model B. For some music, one is better; for other music, perhaps the other. They are very nicely complementary to each other.

But the Blüthner has qualities of its own that are out of reach of the Model B. For some music, one is better; for other music, perhaps the other. They are very nicely complementary to each other.

Yes, I've just rediscovered the Bluthner. Such a rich tone. I've recently recorded a solo piano arrangement of Moon River with the Bluthner, and will upload a mp3 for those interested.

Pianoguy wrote:

Yes, I've just rediscovered the Bluthner. Such a rich tone.

Me too -- because of this thread, I've been re-focusing on this piano and am loving every minute of it!

I've recently recorded a solo piano arrangement of Moon River with the Bluthner, and will upload a mp3 for those interested.

Please do!

fubarable wrote:
Pianoguy wrote:

Yes, I've just rediscovered the Bluthner. Such a rich tone.

Me too -- because of this thread, I've been re-focusing on this piano and am loving every minute of it!

I've recently recorded a solo piano arrangement of Moon River with the Bluthner, and will upload a mp3 for those interested.

Please do!

Done. Also, I'll upload a short improvised bit of playing with both the Bluthner and Model B for a comparison.

OK, so I've uploaded the improvised piece using the Bluthner and the Model B for comparison.

The Model B file is a longer improv - I was really enjoying the subtlety you can achieve with chord voicings, so I kept playing!

This is where the Model B shines, and IMO sets it apart from the other Pianoteq models. It's a tighter, more focussed sound (which is why The Steinway B is considered the ideal recording studio grand).

The Bluthner is a modified version of the Studio Recording BA preset, and the Model B is a toned down version of the Bright preset.

Stupid question, I'm sure, but where can I find your uploaded files?

Fleer wrote:

They are in the 'Other files' area (next to the FXP Corner menu at the top of the Forum page)

Last edited by Pianoguy (20-04-2016 05:46)

For accompaniment singers on stage I use the Blüthner, sometime I try the D4 but always I return to the Blüthner, a friend  also like this piano on stage, perhaps it's the best piano.

Steinway B has more pleasure sound to my ears.

Pianoguy wrote:
Fleer wrote:

They are in the 'Other files' area (next to the FXP Corner menu at the top of the Forum page)

Thank you. Really like them.

I like switching pianos every 2 weeks.  After a while, you start hearing the imperfections and start focusing on them.  Switch to something else and then back again in a week and suddenly it feels new again.

I have both, the model B and the Bluethner - they are both great with some weaknesses IMHO. For just sitting down and playing piano I prefer the Model B at the moment, I have to say.

But yes, switching from time to time is a great strategy and the big advantage of the Pianoteq instrument.

best

hyper.real wrote:
Fleer wrote:

So it was a Bösendorfer that Jarrett played for the Köln Concert? I never knew that, only that he was not given his stipulated Steinway. If I had to guess from the recording, I would have said a Blüthner rather than a Steinway - but the difficullty is that the ECM recording has a somewhat unpleasant "hardness" to the sound in the upper midrange (1kHz-5kHz) as I hear it from my original vinyl. By the way, are we aware of the Köln Concert transcription by a pair of enterprising Japanese gentlemen published by Schott? It was absolutely one of my most memorable moments of 20 years internetting to discover there was score which I could use to better understand the music.

From a recordist's point of view, the Modartt Model B is arguably technically their best piano yet. But the Blüthner has qualities of its own that are out of reach of the Model B. For some music, one is better; for other music, perhaps the other. They are very nicely complementary to each other.

A very informative wikipedia article on the Koln concert is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Köln_Concert

Pianoguy wrote:

OK, so I've uploaded the improvised piece using the Bluthner and the Model B for comparison.

The Model B file is a longer improv - I was really enjoying the subtlety you can achieve with chord voicings, so I kept playing!

This is where the Model B shines, and IMO sets it apart from the other Pianoteq models. It's a tighter, more focussed sound (which is why The Steinway B is considered the ideal recording studio grand).

The Bluthner is a modified version of the Studio Recording BA preset, and the Model B is a toned down version of the Bright preset.

Definitely preferring the Model B version, highly detailed and consistent over all octaves.
In comparison, the Blüthner has a muffled lower and a too zingy higher register.

Lylo wrote:

For accompaniment singers on stage I use the Blüthner, sometime I try the D4 but always I return to the Blüthner, a friend  also like this piano on stage, perhaps it's the best piano.

Bluthner hands down - nothing else really comes close to it - is the best virtual piano I've ever played for my compositional and improvisational genres (primarily classical and jazz). It's unbelievable that the Bluthner company actually blessed this model - a potentially suicidal act for them - when profits for them could not be that large in this niche market. Their endorsement (and involvement in testing) of Pianoteq's model also reflects a certain honesty and open-mindedness on their part, which only further redounds to the virtues of the model. I wonder if Bluthner would be interested in building a high quality keyboard controller featuring Pianoteq Bluthner integration?

Last edited by honjr (24-04-2016 15:32)

I bet Bluthner will be the first to be updated to get the latest adavancements used on model-B.

Beto-Music wrote:

I bet Bluthner will be the first to be updated to get the latest adavancements used on model-B.

That will be great indeed.

...at the same time, I also hope Model-B will be enhanced with that special "fits like a glove" touch responsiveness from the Bluthner.

Hi
I can like all models of Ptq, even U4 (it have something special, can not explain the feeling, U4 Tall 1,29m – have played an Hellas Helsinki piano 1,30m, maybe thats why i feel for U4 ) although no one talks about this U4. But Bluethner is my favorit, it sounds so big. And it is 2,80m. Knowing that may be why it sounds so great to me. D4 is 2,70m and K2 and Model B are 2,11m (string length). But for me, so far, nothing comes close to Bluethner. And as lo134 says in beginning of this thtread ”there is something very special with the Bluthner”. I agree.

I think a hybrid "B"/ Bluthner  is in order.  The sympathetic resonance of the Bluthner combined with the bright upper note clarity of the "B."

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

A "Bluthinway"...

GRB wrote:

I think a hybrid "B"/ Bluthner  is in order.  The sympathetic resonance of the Bluthner combined with the bright upper note clarity of the "B."

I started to use the equalizing of the Model B for other Pianos, also for the Bluethner. For me it's a good combination.

I'm still stuck on the Bluthner.  I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the resonance it has.  It's beautiful.  The Model B sounds somehow too harsh and doesn't have the same resonance in my opinion.  Of course I wouldn't say no to any further improvements they can make!

GRB wrote:

You can join (parameter freeze) two pianos together. You can join the Model B unto the Bluethner and vice versa. It can be located via the [square/tick] icon in the menu above [Voicing] and [Design]. You'd have to remember to turn it off though.

Casiquire wrote:

I'm still stuck on the Bluthner.  I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the resonance it has.  It's beautiful.  The Model B sounds somehow too harsh and doesn't have the same resonance in my opinion.  Of course I wouldn't say no to any further improvements they can make!

Of course Model B doesn't have the same resonance, it doesn't have aliquot stringing, LOL. And no, it does not sound too harsh. YC5 sounds harsh. Then again, that's the intention behind that model.

Hard work and guts!

I am only a beginner, and have only the basic Pianoteq version and the loudness of the mechanics sound is just killing it for me. In quiet pieces, the thumping sound of that emulated keys in treble is louder than the note itself! So my favorite pianos are those of legacy collection that don't have this.

DonSmith wrote:
GRB wrote:

You can join (parameter freeze) two pianos together. You can join the Model B unto the Bluethner and vice versa. It can be located via the [square/tick] icon in the menu above [Voicing] and [Design]. You'd have to remember to turn it off though.

I have to look into this as I purchased the K2, and I now run the K2 with the Bluethner and love it.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

Barafu wrote:

I am only a beginner, and have only the basic Pianoteq version and the loudness of the mechanics sound is just killing it for me. In quiet pieces, the thumping sound of that emulated keys in treble is louder than the note itself! So my favorite pianos are those of legacy collection that don't have this.

The sound of the keys and pedals is adjustable in all versions, even the Stage

Barafu wrote:

To lower the mechanical sounds click the Action button on the lower left square and then move the Key Release Noise to the left. You can move it all the way to the left if you want. Then move the Sustain Pedal Noise to the left also but, you shouldn't move this slider all the way to the left. It is nice having a little noise.