Topic: multichannel keyboard mappings?

Is there any information available about this (new feature of version 5.6)? Seems there is nothing in the manual.

thanks

best

Re: multichannel keyboard mappings?

It is intended for keyboards that have more than 128 keys such as http://terpstrakeyboard.com/ . When this option is checked (in the keyboard mapping menu of the microtuning panel of Pianoteq STD/PRO) , Pianoteq works as usual for notes received on the 'main' MIDI channel (channel 1 , by default) , but notes received on channel 2 will be transposed one 'octave' up (for the octave ratio defined in the scala scale, it does not have to be 2), notes received on chan 16 will be transposed one octave down, notes received on channel 2 will be transposed 2 octaves up, and 2 octaves down on channel 15 etc. It is a bit complicated to explain but the idea is very simple.

julien wrote:

It is intended for keyboards that have more than 128 keys such as http://terpstrakeyboard.com/ . When this option is checked (in the keyboard mapping menu of the microtuning panel of Pianoteq STD/PRO) , Pianoteq works as usual for notes received on the 'main' MIDI channel (channel 1 , by default) , but notes received on channel 2 will be transposed one 'octave' up (for the octave ratio defined in the scala scale, it does not have to be 2), notes received on chan 16 will be transposed one octave down, notes received on channel 2 will be transposed 2 octaves up, and 2 octaves down on channel 15 etc. It is a bit complicated to explain but the idea is very simple.

I'm working with a standard keyboard, and am still not getting the results you describe by simply checking the multichannel option.  The main channel 1 works as before, but when I switch to channel 2 Pianoteq does not respond although it is receiving the noteOn messages.  But my scala file does not contain an octave specification -- you say "the octave ratio defined in the scala scale"  -- I don't see that as a field in the scala specification here http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/scl_format.html.  Do you mean the 'formal octave' field in the kbm file instead?  But that just gives the number of notes in the octave, not a ratio -- Can you be more specific about where the ratio is to be set?  thanks, Chris

cbmuse wrote:

Do you mean the 'formal octave' field in the kbm file instead?  But that just gives the number of notes in the octave, not a ratio -- Can you be more specific about where the ratio is to be set?  thanks, Chris

I mean the latest value in the scl file , which is usually 2/1 (or 1200 cents) for regular octaves.

About the multichannel extended layout, for example if you create a 43-ET with Pianoteq (tuning menu, "Make equal temperament"), and use the default (linear) keyboard mapping, select "Multi-channel midi layout" in the keyboard mapping menu. Then you will notice that notes sent on midi channel 2 sound one octave higher that channel 1, channel 3 is two octave higher, etc.