Topic: Feature Request: Export to MP3 or FLAC

A handy feature for me and I presume others would be to be able to export to MP3s or FLAC formats instead of just WAV. Any chance of this being implemented someday?

Re: Feature Request: Export to MP3 or FLAC

I just use AIMP's (AIMP is a free audio player) audio converter after exporting. No biggie.

Last edited by EvilDragon (22-03-2016 10:09)
Hard work and guts!

No it's no biggie I know but would be handy none the less and I think pretty easy for them to implement.

Legal restrictions. Patents for MP3 owns Alcatel-Lucent company, which requires the licensing of some ways to use format. Validity of MP3 related patents expire in 2007-2017

Last edited by scherbakov.al (22-03-2016 16:23)

I would be perfectly content with the ability to export Ogg to avoid the MP3 license. It would be handy to have the ability to quickly export compressed audio files without having to convert them.

Or... it would be nice if you could export a special MIDI file that would somehow include the FXP information, so just by loading it in Pianoteq it would automatically pull up the preset used to record it.

Both of these features would be great for workflow when you develop an idea you want to save for later and don't have time to work on it or notate it.

+ Fxp file keeps a reverb impulse.

scherbakov.al wrote:

+ Fxp file keeps a reverb impulse.

Also potential legal/licensing issues, depending on the impulse used.

Hard work and guts!

You'd be content with OGG but thousands would complain that there is OGG but no MP3! Just Lame it yourself for goodness sake!

3/2 = 5

Yes, it's endless, let's add mp3 export, then ogg, acc, quicktime, whatever, why not to add some basic audio editor... Video capturing from a webcam alongside audio to YouTube friendly video formats, wait, what about Twitch preset also? :D

Okay sure. But my MIDI file with attached FXP idea would be very useful.

@NathanShirley

Sure it is, some special container type file which contain both fxp and MIDI would be just awesome, I also suggested it somewhere sometime before. Right now you need to rename/save the Fxp, then MIDI then upload (if you want to share) 2 files - not so cool. If you open such new file in Pianoteq one should be able to save the fxp and MIDI from it independently if needed. Or even maybe for people who worry about their author rights a special locked kind of file which can only be played back via Pianoteq with all the settings kind of invisible/uneditable and without audio export feature? Just fantasizing.

FXPs can contain whatever inside them - even whole other file types. It's just a wrapper file format with some metadata, as far as I understand.

Hard work and guts!

While I do not see the benefit of exporting in .mp3 which is a lossy format and requires great attention to the things going on in the music file to avoid artifacts, I do see the benefits of exporting in FLAC which is lossless, has none of the issues of .mp3, takes far less space and has not a prohibitive licence. It's obviously a plus.

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

If you have a Mac it is quite easy to write an Automator script, fun too!