Topic: Pianoteq and Clavinova CLP-575

...so last year, or the year before, the library in my town acquired two Clavinova CLP-575's which users are free to play if they wish, you just need to bring a pair of headphones and your library card. I had the chance to play on these a few times in the past couple of days, and i have to say the construction quality is absolutely superb, the keyboard action really feels like quality under your fingers.

The sound however (to my ears at least) is very inferior to what i get from Pianoteq. It sounds like a hybrid of sampling and modeled, but has a thin, synthetic feel to it - on most piano models available on it, the high-mid range especially sounds totally fake and not like a real piano. The bass isn't too bad tho. There is also no sympathetic resonance between strings. There's a setting labeled "string resonance" in the firmware, but even set at maximum i don't hear any sympathetic resonance.

I looked up the specs of these digital pianos, and i saw that they're worth upwards of $5000 U.S. wow!!! For that price, honestly i would really have expected a much better sound. But when you're used to pianoteq

So i asked if i could bring a laptop to try out pianoteq on these, they said no problem. Can't wait to hear what it will sound like! More info to come shortly ....

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

Re: Pianoteq and Clavinova CLP-575

Pretty cool library you have there.
Ah.. Montreal! I should have known.

Last edited by SteveLy (20-03-2016 06:47)
3/2 = 5

I also have the Clavinova 575 and use Pianoteq all the time now, much better sound!
I have also posted my FXP set-up in the FXP corner, its for Pianoteq Pro so not all the parameters will work on the other versions. (Called Steinway Clavinova)
I also now have two monitor speakers sitting on top of the piano with the Clavinova speakers just adding a bit of extra Pianoteq sound.
The D4 Daily Practice setting only needed a bit of tweaking with this set-up and is just wonderful!

Hi Delt,
Reading your initial posting echoes my thoughts on my new Korg SP-170S. The built in sound of the grand piano sounds a bit thin and unrealistic around the middle notes. The sound is improved if I darken the sound. I could live with it, but Pianoteq gives a more satisfying experience. Does the Clavinova CLP-575 allow you to tweak the sound?