Topic: any possibility to "sync up" long time users to current add-on packs?

- been a standard user since v1.x (that's a lot of paid updates in the interim - understand it's a lot of work!)

- added model b
- added bluethner
- added Electric Pianos r1 and w1, but no Hohner which is now included in Electric Pianos
- added YC5

so... if I want the Hohner I have to purchase in a bundle I actually already own but was just an earlier adopter???

hence my query, is there a way to "sync up" add-ons/bundles to new state of the same bundles?

I've recommended Pianoteq to a lot of folks, major tours included... just wondering how the guys who've been with this "from the beginning" somehow get a lesser deal than the "latecomers"?

Re: any possibility to "sync up" long time users to current add-on packs?

Maybe you'll get the entire pack when you upgrade to Pianoteq 6, who knows? If I am not wrong the same was done for D4 and K2. It is too soon for complains.

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

I'm missing something here.  On https://www.pianoteq.com/instrument_list Hohner and Electric Pianos are listed as separate instrument packs.  I do not see that Hohner is now included with Electric Pianos.

Correct, Hohner Collection is a separate add on - it is NOT included in Electric Pianos. Michael, you need to purchase Hohner Collection separately, you do not have any rights to it for free as it's not a part of Electric Pianos add-on.

Last edited by EvilDragon (21-03-2016 18:32)
Hard work and guts!

He does refer probably to the starter package which now in the electric piano flavour includes also the Hohner collection (+4 more instruments than before) besides R2 and W2. Hence is question.

He says he ADDED electric pianos - I see that not as a starter bundle, but in this case the original add-on containing two instruments. Hohners are NOT a part of it, hence a separate purchase needs to be done. Nothing weird there.

Last edited by EvilDragon (21-03-2016 23:18)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

He says he ADDED electric pianos - I see that not as a starter bundle, but in this case the original add-on containing two instruments. Hohners are NOT a part of it, hence a separate purchase needs to be done. Nothing weird there.

Indeed but it far more convenient now compared to before where if you did chose the electric piano flavour you would have only 2 instruments instead of 6 and you could add the pianos later (possibly avoiding also the K2 which is a somewhat weaker model compared to the B for now). Who purchased before did not had this chance/luxury. And somebody who got the electric pianos or acoustic pianos before has to purchase the new sample pack. Not a big issue because it is just one sample pack but having this added to a starter bundle creates a discrepancy to those who purchased before and those who will in the future.
P.s.: It's so late I don't even know if what I wrote does make any sense. Forgive me if it doesn't.
P.p.s: Gosh, I wrote the answer in the report post instead of the thread. Time to quit the internet. Mods please ignore.

Chopin87 wrote:

He does refer probably to the starter package which now in the electric piano flavour includes also the Hohner collection (+4 more instruments than before) besides R2 and W2. Hence is question.

this is *exactly* why I asked. Later joiners have a benefit above those who've been supporting since day 1, and I wanted to know if there was a way to "sync up" to the same value proposition, to see if there was some other "appreciation" for folks who've been here "longer", that's all.

One way to look at it is "what's another 50 euros?", or "what? *another* 50 euros?". Kind of the same as upgrading to Pro from Standard. I've already upgraded 4x, why not incentivize upgrade to next level?

Last edited by michaelhuisman (23-03-2016 20:56)

I'm pretty sure users have been sync'd up.  Your R1/W1 was upgraded to the R2/W2.

You just are mistakened that the Hohner belongs with the R2/W2.  The Hohner package replaced the Clavinet instrument and Clavinet users have been automatically upgraded to Hohner.  If you don't have the Clavinet, then you never had the Electric Pack which back then was purchasing Pianoteq w/ the initial instruments of R1/W1 + Clavinet (2 separate instrument add-ons each with their own upgrades).

Last edited by Mossy (24-03-2016 01:38)

Yep, true. If you had purchased the Clavinet add-on back in the day, you would have had the full Hohner Collection now.

Hard work and guts!

As I understand it R2/W1 are one instrument and the Hohner collection is another instrument, so is the D4, the K2, the Model B, Kremsegg #1 etc. When you buy Pianoteq you can choose two instruments. It would be great if these could be any two instruments, but the way it works for now is that you can have R2/W1+Hohner or D4+K2: the electric bundle or the acoustic bundle. If you're into electric pianos the electric bundle is a great value starter. (Add your fave acoustic + all the freebies and you'll be busy for a long time.)

You should contact customer support if you feel something is not right or that you deserve a better deal. Pianoteq CS is excellent and they will sort you out if you have a reasonable request. Just keep in mind that the "Electric Pianos" instrument comprise the R2 & W1. The Hohner collection is another separate instrument pack.

And yes latecomers get a better deal in a way. We can download for free legacy instruments that used to be the bee's knees back in the day. But for the money you paid, you got years of use. It's a dated product now so it costs less or even nothing. Just like used old hardware: you can get the latest and greatest computer or digital camera of 5+ years ago for nothing from your local recycling depot or other people's trash, or for next to nothing on ebay, gumtree, garage sales and the like.

Last edited by SteveLy (24-03-2016 09:02)
3/2 = 5

I actually enquired about 'spilting' the purchase pack (I didn't see any need for the K2 if I got the D4). Modart  politely told me it wasn't an option: which I think is a pity. I'd loved to have been able to purchase the D4 & R2/W1 as a combination for my initial purchase. But their business model apparently doesn't allow this.
Still I think for what you get their pricing is reasonable so I have gradually collected the instruments I particularly want (R2/W1, Clavinet D6, Celesta) but have also ended up with a number of others I never use.

Last edited by rAC (24-03-2016 10:32)

I think that if Modartt was to offer more flexibility for included instruments they'd have to raise the price to make it viable. And that would be a bad thing.

On a super-tight budget I think the Electric Pianos starter combined with all the free KIViR and Legacy instruments is a very generous and capable kit. (But really eventually you'd probably want to save up your pennies for the Model B or the Bluthner.) And for those not into electrics the D4/K2 + freebies are a great kit too.

The K2 is a very different instrument from the D4 so it makes sense to bundle them together.

Last edited by SteveLy (25-03-2016 05:15)
3/2 = 5

well, at least we had a discussion on this, which is good.

I'm not going to buy the Hohner set, just don't feel like upgrading to something that's nice to have, but not a must have. The Model B? Bought that right away. love it, threw Ravenscroft, Ivory and NI out of my live MainStage concert set for that one. The YC5 purchase I did way back when? still dislike it... it's just parked somewhere unused. Same holds true for the Bluethner...

I kept buying and updating Pianoteq because I thought we'd eventually get to where we are now, so it's not like I feel bad about individual upgrades version on version, it's just a lot cumulatively between day 1 and now.

Look, at least it's not as bad as NI's upgrade policy, which has zero reward for folks who've been with them a long time (and have the full Ultimate product suite to boot).

hoping for a slow moment or two in the next couple of days - I'll see if I can work up an audio demo of the Model B preset that's got folks shaking their head "that's a *model*?" ;-)

Did you actually contact Modartt and raise your concerns with them?? [this is a user forum, not customer support]

3/2 = 5

michaelhuisman wrote:

hoping for a slow moment or two in the next couple of days - I'll see if I can work up an audio demo of the Model B preset that's got folks shaking their head "that's a *model*?" ;-)

Would love that!

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

SteveLy wrote:

Did you actually contact Modartt and raise your concerns with them?? [this is a user forum, not customer support]

actually no I didn't, I took the consensus view that I didn't really have a specific claim to make, it's just the way things are bundled.

I was just asking if I had missed some way to "sync up" or not, and the consensus answers is apparently not. That's okay. It's Pianoteq's business model and their choice to make.

I've got another very usable clav from NI buried somewhere in Komplete Ultimate. I'll go with that for a while and see how it goes.

Seriously, the type of enquiry you have can only be answered properly by Modartt. The "consensus" here among a few users chit-chatting does not matter. Contact customer support if you feel you have a legit concern about being short changed or anything else. They are very good, no hoops, just straight up.

I myself realised after my initial purchase that had I been better informed before buying I could have got a better deal. I simply and briefly explained it to them using:

https://www.pianoteq.com/support_form

and without any hassles they've corrected my mistake and fixed me up with the better deal. I'm not saying you will definitely get what you want because my situation was very different from yours, but Modartt CS is where you should be asking about these things. The user forums are sometimes read and responded to by Modartt folks but they have much more serious work to do as well, so it's not something you can expect every time.

Last edited by SteveLy (28-03-2016 15:14)
3/2 = 5