Topic: Spoiled by PianoTeq

I have been using PianoTeq for about one month, and have already become spoiled by the wonderful piano models.

A few days ago I decided to turn on my electronic piano (a Yamaha CP5) and the rack mounted Roland Integra-7 tone module to practice, instead of turning on the computer and using PianoTeq as I usually do. Within minutes, I was frustrated by both the sampled pianos of the Yamaha and the "SuperNatural" pianos of Roland. I had become accustomed to them and liked them before, but since using PianoTeq and its wonderful modeled pianos, I can hardly bear playing the sampled and "SuperNatural" pianos anymore.

I'm continually amazed at how wonderful a program PianoTeq is, and how configurable. Sometimes I will play the MIDI recording PianoTeq automatically makes of recent piano performance, and click the Random button repeatedly, and love many of those random-parameter sounds as well.

Anyway, I merely wanted to praise the PianoTeq development team and to thank them, gratefully, for producing such a wonderful product and tool for musicians.

---

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (07-03-2016 11:21)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Re: Spoiled by PianoTeq

I couldn't agree more. I've been using Pianoteq for 6 weeks  and can't wait to get home from work  and practice and work on new material. Pianoteq has sparked  a renewed interest in detailed and dedicated  piano work for me.  Love the new B piano in particular. I have an acoustic Yamaha U3 upright and Yamaha C2 grand, and essentially haven't played either since Pianoteq.

+1 to the above, and, native and excellent Linux support! Definitely in love with Pianoteq

Have to agree. That Model B is almost there. Pianoteq at its finest.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

Is Roland Integra-7  trully modeled ?

Beto-Music wrote:

Is Roland Integra-7  trully modeled ?

Evidently not completely. Instead, it appears (from information available) to be sampled pianos with some modeling (such as for string resonance) applied to the samples as they are triggered.

The "SuperNatural" pianos on the Integra-7 have an annoying loud twang in the sound of the upper mid register, followed by relatively weak treble volume from there to the top of the piano range. I attempted to use equalization, but instead eventually resorted to using a combination (2 sounds for each note) of the Yamaha's beautifully sampled and crystal clear grand pianos (2 of them on the CP5 keyboard) and the Integra-7's pianos at a lower volume, but with the string resonance parameter turned very high, to give the warm and complex resonance to the Yamaha's piano samples.

But neither the Yamaha nor Integra-7 pianos, or a combination of both, have approached Pianoteq's beautifully modeled pianos with their excellent string resonance (and so many other configurable parameters) and the very natural-sounding equalization and tone of a professionally tuned and maintained acoustic piano over the entire 88-key piano range. Pianoteq is truly superior.

--Oh, and I agree with lem18. I am so happy to find a software piano tone generator that works (extremely well) in Linux, not just in Windows or Apple's OS.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (08-03-2016 22:22)
--

+1 - there is no problem to play the real instrument after Pianoteq + vpс1
+1 - support.

Pianoteq is becoming just excellent.

But there still a lot of Rolandcentrism, Yamahacentrism on the Market, where name speakes more loud.

I hope pianoteq get the recognition it deserves.

Last edited by Beto-Music (09-03-2016 02:52)

Beto-Music wrote:

I've got an idea: Modartt can mail out "Pianoteq" logo stickers to its registered customers. That way us loyal fans can re-brand our digital pianos to give Pianoteq more representation in online videos and live performances, etc.

Interesting idea. But they mostly use stage pianos, that have no space to place stickers of good size.

Khoa wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

I've got an idea: Modartt can mail out "Pianoteq" logo stickers to its registered customers. That way us loyal fans can re-brand our digital pianos to give Pianoteq more representation in online videos and live performances, etc.

Am I the only user who think that Pianoteq has the best playability, natural response, natural pedal responce, etc. but the final sound is still slightly synthetic (especially chords) and worse than any good sampled piano? I love playing with Pianoteq, but when I need render my MIDI to audio I usually prefer sampled VST.

And I almost always can distinguish a Pianoteq recording from a real acoustic piano recording, but can't do it for a good sampled piano recording. The only case when I was wrong about Pianoteq is 0:36 from this video (I thought this was a real Steinway and was wrong). But in this demo we have very short sample and as Philippe said the Model B's preset was adjusted specially for this short MIDI sample.

Last edited by Ross (09-03-2016 10:28)
Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

Ross wrote:

Am I the only user who think that Pianoteq has the best playability, natural response, natural pedal responce, etc. but the final sound is still slightly synthetic (especially chords) and worse than any good sampled piano?

This is interesting. I recorded a short chord improvisation into a MIDI file, then recorded the audio from the performance using two Yamaha grand pianos - PianoTeq's modeled Yamaha grand (the YC5) and a Yamaha grand expertly sampled by Yamaha itself (and included in my MIDI keyboard, the Yamaha CP5). Both audio files were recorded at the same volume and normalized to -2 dBfs.

One of the MP3 files below Is the sampled Yamaha grand (sampled by Yamaha itself)
The other MP3 is the modeled Yamaha grand (modeled by PianoTeq, the YC5)

---
NOTE: (Added later) Someone who carefully listened to and analyzed the waveforms of the two files originally placed here pointed out that I may have made an error when recording them, so I reconducted the test using more careful and strict methodology. Please see the followup post below for a description of that methodology and for the two new audio comparison files that resulted. Thank you. -Steve
---

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (10-03-2016 15:27)
--

Good one Stephen! It's not my fave instrument (in fact it's the only Pianoteq acoustic piano I have not purchased) but it's an instructive comparison nevertheless. I cannot tell which is which. If forced to pick the modelled/Pianoteq version I'd say it's B, but I wouldn't want to have to bet worse than even odds on that.

The way you embedded the mp3s is perfect. I can both either listen or download in Firefox for Linux.

Last edited by SteveLy (09-03-2016 22:02)
3/2 = 5

I received an email from someone who carefully listened to, looked at and analyzed the two original files I posted, and to him it appears that both files, while having somewhat different waveforms, used the same audio source. I may have made a mistake in the original recording (I may not have correctly muted one track when exporting the other, for example).

So here are two new MP3 files from distinct, separate audio files, one from my Yamaha CP5 MIDI keyboard (which has a very nice sampled Yamaha grand piano as the default patch #1), and the other audio file exported from PianoTeq as a WAV file, using the same MIDI file performance (a brief improvisation of mine) and the PianoTeq modeled Yamaha grand (the YC5). The files appear at the bottom of this post along with the MIDI file used for the comparison, and the methodology follows:

I turned on my Yamaha CP5 MIDI keyboard, but did not launch PianoTeq, so my external MIDI keyboard was the only possible sound source. I loaded the MIDI file of my brief chord improvisation into the internal memory of the CP5, and had the keyboard play the MIDI file using its own internal CF Grand (preset patch #1, a sampled Yamaha grand piano). The output of the keyboard was routed using balanced TRS cables to a rack-mounted mixer, and from there directly into a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface set at 96 kHz sample rate and 24-bit depth. I recorded the output of the Scarlett interface into my computer, using the digital-audio recorder Ardour in Linux.

I then turned OFF my external CP5 MIDI keyboard, and turned OFF the rack mounted mixer, so there was no possible external sound source. I then launched PianoTeq 5, loaded the same MIDI file into PianoTeq, and chose the preset YC5 4 mics (a Yamaha grand piano modeled by PianoTeq, using the "Sound Recording" output setting (instead of "Stereophonic")). I then had Pianoteq export a WAV file (at high settings) of its performance of the MIDI file using the "YC5 4 mics" preset. I imported that WAV file into Ardour (the digital-audio recording application) into a new track just below the previous audio recording from my MIDI keyboard through the Scarlett audio interface.

I then synchronized both the starting and ending times of both tracks, so that the music in each track began at precisely the same time, and the track ended at exactly the same time. I did this so that I could do rapid A/B comparisons of both tracks in order to find the PianoTeq preset and settings that I thought sounded fairly close to the sound produced by my CP5 keyboard's sampled Yamaha grand. The WAV file exported by PIanoTeq was actually several seconds longer than the recording I made from my MIDI keyboard, but those extra seconds were nearly silence, so I truncated the PianoTeq exported file to the same length as the previously recorded file, and in both I placed a quick fadeout after the last sustain-pedal release in the MIDI file. I then normalized the volume of each file to the same level, -2 dBfs. Then I used Ardour's "Stem Export" feature to export each track, one at a time, into separate WAV files at 48000 sample rate, 16-bit. I converted each of these files into fairly high-rate kbps MP3 files using the program Sound Converter in Linux.

Finally, I uploaded those two audio files to the PianoTeq Forum, along with the original MIDI file I used to make the comparison, and all three of those files appear below.

Yamaha grand piano comparison, sampled or modeled, file A
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...and-A2.mp3

Yamaha grand piano comparison, sampled or modeled, file B
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...and-B2.mp3

The original MIDI file (a brief improvisation of my own, recorded just before making this comparison)
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...arison.mid

Best wishes,
Steve

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (10-03-2016 15:36)
--

Thanks for doing that again so carefully. The most obvious difference I hear between these latest two is that the stereo field is wider for A than for B.

3/2 = 5

When pianoteq was to start the first beta testing, before the first mp3 was send to "give a taste", I gave a suggestion based in a diet soft drink comercial in my country, that asked people to tell what was the dietetic softdrink and what was the one with sugar.

Now this test, trasnposed to the world of pianoteq tone , becomes harder and very welcome.

Last edited by Beto-Music (11-03-2016 19:28)

SteveLy wrote:

Thanks for doing that again so carefully. The most obvious difference I hear between these latest two is that the stereo field is wider for A than for B.

Darn. That was an oversight (one of several I had to correct). OK, I've uploaded a new B MP3 file (under the same filename, so it should replace the one in the previous post) with a (hopefully) wider stereo field. I was trying to keep most parameters the same or similar (velocity curve (flat), reverb room size (fairly small), equalization (flat), volume normalization the same (-2 dBfs), no additional sound processing for one file that the other didn't have, everything as similar and as simple as possible, etc.).

Thanks, Steve.

I like both the sampled and the modeled Yamaha grand pianos, but I like PianoTeq's modeled pianos better than any of the sampled or Roland "SuperNatural" pianos I have in my external hardware. At any rate, I thought that others might find this comparison interesting.

Added later-- For the curious, in both cases above, MP3 A is the sampled Yamaha grand piano in my Yamaha CP5 MIDI keyboard, and MP3 B is PianoTeq's modeled Yamaha grand piano (the YC5). In the case of the second comparison pair of MP3 files, PianoTeq's output in file B was changed from "Sound Recording" to "Stereophonic" to try to more closely match the stereo audio output of the CP5, although I am more fond of the sound variations imparted by PianoTeq's various microphone types/brands and placements in its "Sound Recording" models.

As a bonus, the same MIDI file using the PianoTeq Steinway Model B, unmodified Close Mic preset--

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...se-Mic.mp3

---

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (10-03-2016 15:40)
--

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Finally, I uploaded those two audio files to the PianoTeq Forum, along with the original MIDI file I used to make the comparison, and all three of those files appear below.

Undoubtedly "B" is Pianoteq. This is what I talked about, it has characteristic pianoteq-ish sound, slightly synthetic and your sampled piano for me sounds more natural.

Last edited by Ross (10-03-2016 17:11)

Sampled piano recordings never sound natural to me.

Last edited by EvilDragon (10-03-2016 17:14)
Hard work and guts!

Ross wrote:

Undoubtedly "B" is Pianoteq. This is what I talked about, it has characteristic pianoteq-ish sound, slightly synthetic and your sampled piano for me sounds more natural.

Well, you are correct, file B is PianoTeq, although I did mention that in my last post above.

But about the sound, I disagree. I personally prefer the modeled sounds, which I find complex, dynamic and rich, whereas sampled sounds, however pristine they may be, often seem relatively flat and sterile to me, like a dead acoustic piano. :-) Pianos are sampled with microphones, and in the file comparison above I did not include PianoTeq's microphone modeling in file B, choosing the raw stereophonic PianoTeq model instead, which I thought might better approximate the stereo output of my Yamaha CP5 keyboard (I may be wrong about that, however).

But perhaps I'm just expressing a personal preference, and everyone has their own preferences for their own reasons.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (10-03-2016 18:18)
--

Ross, you should tell earlier, before Stephen told the right model.

Stephen, what about try to find a sampler os s Steinway B, to make a guess test with the latest pianoteq model B ?
It should be more fair, since the model B represent the lastest achievement by Modartt.

Well, the tone may be not 99,9999999% perfect yet, but it's near 99%   
Enough for most people.  :-)

The remaining few people with critcs will help to improve it even futher.

I compare sampled and modelled like compare Stop Motion and CGI.
Stop motion, the best ones, have very detailed "puppy" model, with good texture and looked organic, but in motion it Always looked like stop motion, no trail of moviment duging esposure.  CGI started and looked somewhat artificial, for many years, until it improve to standarts that make it look very natural today. As result stop motion it's no longer used.

Last edited by Beto-Music (10-03-2016 18:10)

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

I personally prefer the modeled sounds, which I find complex, dynamic and rich, to sampled sounds, however pristine they may be, which seem relatively flat and sterile to me, like a dead acoustic piano. :-)

Yes, Pianoteq produce too ideal sound, too flat and even. Condition slider helps not so much, "bad condition" Pianoteq just produce ideal "bad condition" sound. Another side of Pianoteq's sound that upset my ears is too mellow nature of it, it really hard to get bright but not harsh sound in treble; if you just increase hammers hardness you get more harsh sound, but sampled pianos can produce very warm non-harsh bright sound. This is just my IMHO. I personally hardly believe that anybody consider "B" example more realistic than "A", probably it's just my ears.

But I want say again that Pianoteq has no alternative for playbility, for response. No velocity layers (ok, for humans 127 is infinity), very realistic pedal (even top sampled pianos has troubles in repedalling and non-realistic damping, partial pedaling), great dynamics. So, from pianist point of view Pianoteq is f*cking unbelievable realistic, from audience point of view Pianoteq is weak (IMHO).

Beto-Music wrote:

Ross, you should tell earlier, before Stephen told the right model.

OK, sorry. If anybody will give such a comparison later, let me know please.

Last edited by Ross (10-03-2016 18:21)

Thank you Ross for elaborating upon and explaining your point of view. Very interesting. People have personal preferences regarding various acoustic piano brands, models and even specific instruments of a particular model, so it's only natural that different persons (and different ears) would tend to have different preferences.

@Beto-Music, I hope to do another comparison as you suggested sometime, trying to keep as many parameters as possible nearly the same (such as reverb, equalization, volume and other characteristics). I believe that if I had instead used one of PianoTeq's "Sound Recording" presets (instead of "Stereophonic" output), the sound might have had some nice additional character. I should have done that anyway, since the microphones used to sample pianos always imbue the samples with their own particular characteristics.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (10-03-2016 18:53)
--

Ross wrote:

from audience point of view Pianoteq is weak (IMHO)

Thankfully it's just your opinion, the audience I played Pianoteq to was just as amazed as myself in the quality of sound Pianoteq puts out, and realism of it.

Hard work and guts!

Ross wrote:

I think I know what you mean. It's a subtle thing but occasionally it jumps out at you. Best I could describe it is that there is a hint of a sound as if a metal bar was being struck rather than a string. Because it's fairly subtle it must be difficult to quantify. A large part of ongoing development of Pianoteq I imagine would be quantifying these differences, which can then be used to refine the physical/computational model.

If you listen to or play earlier instruments from the Legacy collection the improvements from one version to the next are very apparent. No doubt that having to do the calculations on-the-fly in real time is a big bottleneck as well and increasing processor speeds are helping things along too. But most of it seems to be about more refined modelling and more clever programming because the latest and probably the most refined instrument to date, the Model B, is very much playable on a 10+ y.o. single core Dell D410 (with a few compromises of course).

I'm fairly confident that we can extrapolate from the improvements to date and expect similar for at the very least a couple of major Pianoteq versions into the future. But even now, when playing the instrument, the subtle differences between the modelled and acoustic pianos are very easily forgotten because it's a living/breathing instrument; which is my way of repeating of what you (Ross) were saying earlier about playability being superior to sampled DPs. (In fact, Ptq v2 or v3, I forget which one I first tried, was a joy to play, despite being more synthetic sounding and all.)

Even the best acoustic pianos have their quirks and unpleasant characteristics as well (little noises, buzzes, funny resonances etc). But one forgives and forgets and just plays because it feels good: you and the instrument have a "thing" going on.

Sampled pianos just don't cut the mustard for me. There is no "thing" going on. At least not up to the best $US5000 or so can buy these days, which is probably about the most expensive I've played. But I don't see the point of paying even that much when I could get a pretty damn good Yamaha U1 for that kind of money.

3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:

Best I could describe it is that there is a hint of a sound as if a metal bar was being struck rather than a string.

Hmm.. I don't notice such things I talked about other thing: it's like flatness, weak brightness, harshness... ohh... I can't describe it even in my native language, and moreover can't in English, and I think I'm the only man who notice this, so I won't even try

Last edited by Ross (10-03-2016 19:34)

Ross, would it be possible for you to post an MP3 file example that uses a sampled piano sound that you like very much? One that has the characteristics that you prefer?

I had no idea this discussion thread would become so long.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (10-03-2016 19:53)
--

Almost any modern commercial sampled VST: Ravenscroft 275, True Keys (all), Addictive Keys, Ivory II, and even NI Alicias Keys...

No need to post any concrete MP3, all demos from official sites are very good (for my taste). Or, for example, this amazing composition of Shaun Choo (here comparsion of Ravenscroft 275 and True Keys American/German):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkGpSO_FNqc

And this he played on acoustic grand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UMbBdy42q0

Last edited by Ross (10-03-2016 21:28)

Ross wrote:
SteveLy wrote:

Best I could describe it is that there is a hint of a sound as if a metal bar was being struck rather than a string.

Hmm.. I don't notice such things I talked about other thing: it's like flatness, weak brightness, harshness... ohh... I can't describe it even in my native language, and moreover can't in English, and I think I'm the only man who notice this, so I won't even try

Between F3 and C5 is where I notice this the most on the D4 Daily preset (Pianoteq 5 Stage version, default model settings), F3 to F5 on the K2. The higher notes sound excellent on both, and the low notes as I expect (I'm a newbie to pianos though). I'm not sure how to describe it either, but maybe something like a bandstop filter is applied, like the sound is missing some brightness, maybe? (edit: sorry, I meant bandstop filter .. or, inverse bandpass ... where a certain frequency range is filtered, leaving most of the spectrum untouched)

Great discussion guys, thanks.

Last edited by lem18 (11-03-2016 00:05)

As for the comparison of the modeled and sampled C5. I could not tell the difference. I tried to guess at one point and I realized that I could not or simply did not have the skills to tell which one was which. Thanks to the poster Stephen.

Recently I had a Jazz pianist who knew nothing about sampled VST pianos or modeled pianos play on my setup. The gentleman was not PC nor tech literate, strictly acoustic. He said that all the pianos (Ivory II, Pianoteq D4, Bluthner etc) sounded just fine to him. He said they were excellent. He was stunned by exploding notes (velocity jumps) on the Galaxy Vienna Grand but still was quite fine with all the offerings, expressed no preferences, and really didn't care which one I selected.

I did try to explain about velocity layers and modeling. He nodded and got back to making music.

How good is Pianoteq? I think Pianoteq is great. To my friend the pianist, it's just another excellent piano (his words).